AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-11-06, 14:18   Link #21
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I'll just say that this was a great movie the last time I watched. Its a trilogy I think, a sequel is coming very soon.
yup, but it is not trilogy, it's a 2 parts movie.
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 14:32   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Anyone know if this movie is going to be theatrically shown in the US? The article was from Japan Times.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 20:45   Link #23
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

*cough* lookie here *cough*

From what I remember, the movie is so long that they broke it into two parts for Asian audiences, but in the US, they've edited it for a single screening, on the assumption that American movie-goers would not be familiar with the source material.

I'm not sure if it has arrived in the US yet, though. I would have thought it had by now. DVDs of the abridged version are already out in Asia, I think.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-11-07 at 00:13.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 21:47   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

..... perhaps I'll just wait for the "extended original version on DVD".... and I'll ask a mod to merge this --- whoops.

UPDATED: Okay, I self-reported and asked back on the 6th, ... but naught has happened. Initial credit to TRL for his report.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-10 at 23:38.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 14:14   Link #25
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I saw this yesterday had it lying around for a LONG time since I didn't have time to watch but it was awesome!
however it left me wondering when is the 2nd movie coming out?

edit:
soundtrack is awesome too!!1
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 15:38   Link #26
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
*cough* lookie here *cough*

From what I remember, the movie is so long that they broke it into two parts for Asian audiences, but in the US, they've edited it for a single screening, on the assumption that American movie-goers would not be familiar with the source material.

I'm not sure if it has arrived in the US yet, though. I would have thought it had by now. DVDs of the abridged version are already out in Asia, I think.
I don't know what you might think but I think this smells like it's going to be a trilogy. Since two are out, that's only one left. Gotta agree with C.A. on this. Makes for a great marketing strategy.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 22:49   Link #27
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
I don't know what you might think but I think this smells like it's going to be a trilogy. Since two are out, that's only one left. Gotta agree with C.A. on this. Makes for a great marketing strategy.
No, it will not. It has already been publicly announced to be shown as a two-parter in Asian cinemas.

Also, in a great piece of news, the second part will be shown in the first and second weeks of next year, depending on territory.

As for the abridged version for US audiences, it should be getting a limited theatrical release consisting of parts from both movies, which of course would be coming after the two-parter has finished screening, ostensibly due to spoiler issues.

*goes back to wallowing in the majestic main theme*
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 21:22   Link #28
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Pretty good movie, though it seems like Tony Leung Chi Wai gets a steamy love scene in a lot of his recent movies.

I watched this, then right after watched Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon. I like Andy Lau, but why do I feel like he's Hong Kong's equivalent to Tom Cruise?

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 21:44   Link #29
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic View Post
I like Andy Lau, but why do I feel like he's Hong Kong's equivalent to Tom Cruise?
Nah, that would be Leon Lai. Andy Lau has not been making that many movies recently, probably because he's getting older.

Seriously though, almost all Hong Kong/Taiwan actors (and actresses) are not actors per se. They are "hyphenated" actors, ie, singers-performers-actors. In the end, most of them are entertainers hawking an image, and if a director thinks that image fits whatever he wants to produce, he'd sign on the entertainer.

In other words, my opinion of Hong Kong/Taiwan actors is — in general — very low. Most of them can't act; they're just pretty faces to look at. But people flock to their movies anyway, like bees to honey, because it's their "idol" appearing on the screen. Hence the vicious circle continues.

The only two immediate exceptions I can think of are Red Cliff's Tony Leung, and Maggie Cheung (Hero, In The Mood For Love). Of all Hong Kong actors, they are the only two who can be charitably described as "character actors".

Thankfully though, mainland China actors seem to be cut from much higher-quality cloth. Unfortunately, China movies tend to be dry, cerebral affairs, if not outright propaganda. Ah well, such is the lot of East Asian cinema for you.
Old 2008-12-13, 22:28   Link #30
Ottocycle

Quote:
Seriously though, almost all Hong Kong/Taiwan actors (and actresses) are not actors per se. They are "hyphenated" actors, ie, singers-performers-actors. In the end, most of them are entertainers hawking an image, and if a director thinks that image fits whatever he wants to produce, he'd sign on the entertainer.
Good point, this lack of emphasis on actual acting skills was probably one of the causes of the Hong Kong film industry constantly wallowing in mediocrity in the period prior to Infernal Affairs.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 22:44   Link #31
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Prior, don't you mean after?
5 Great Hong Kong movies before Infernal Affairs came out (just off the top of my head)

1) Iron Monkey
2) God of Cookery
3) The Mission
4) The Blade
5) The Mad Phoenix

As for Hong Kong actors.. Francis Ng and Anthony Wong are at the top of my list.. Do they count though, or are we excluding all Infernal Affairs actors? ;P Though.. that'd be half the star power in Hong Kong..

Rather than mediocre, I'd like to think of Hong Kong movies as trying to convey very specific emotions such that they fail to examine all the other ones. An example being the generic Johnny To movie where it's a bunch of guys celebrating hetero-brotherly love. It's unrealistic, but it's still fun to watch.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 03:22   Link #32
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
The only two immediate exceptions I can think of are Red Cliff's Tony Leung, and Maggie Cheung (Hero, In The Mood For Love). Of all Hong Kong actors, they are the only two who can be charitably described as "character actors".
What about Chow Yu Fatt and Jackie Chan now ?
Old 2008-12-14, 10:22   Link #33
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Jackie Chan is an action star. As long as he can kick, he doesn't really have to act (same goes for Jet Li).

Chow Yun Fat started in movies the same way too, as an action star in early John Woo films. Unfortunately, his star has waned considerably after moving to America, so much so that he even got depressed because of it. Gotta admit though, he was splendidly regal as the Chinese MacBeth in Curse of the Golden Flower.

Francis Ng is pretty good too, I have to say. But for some reason, he never seems to get anything but bit roles. Perhaps he's not chummy enough with the right directors, or he has a lousy agent?

If we're going to discuss acting/directing credibility in greater depth, I should nominate Stephen Chow as well. Some may not like his brand of mo lei tau humour, but it's easy to underestimate the amount of talent that lies behind its success. I love Shaolin Soccer to bits. It's comedy gold, I tell ya.
Old 2009-01-12, 09:54   Link #34
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Have anyone watched the Part 2 yet?

Managed to catch it yesterday. Hmmm, IMO, it isn't that bad but not really that pleased with some "changed plots" even though I know that they are just trying to make it more entertaining and amusing than the usual, boring history.

But still, some parts aren't that well explained to me and I would think that it will be better if...

Spoiler:

For those who have read part of this book - guess that we will be definitely waiting for the

Spoiler:

and also I am quite amused at the change in the "temperament" of our dear Zhou Yu ... for all we know in book

Spoiler:

For those who are hard core fans of Romance of Three Kingdoms - I will say, take it easy and let it be some sort of amusement and entertainment.

This movie has just make me feel like re-reading the whole book again... to spot more difference! LOLZ
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 07:03   Link #35
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I seem to remember that this movie had nothing to do with the novel but was based on actual historical records during that period.
Old 2009-01-13, 08:13   Link #36
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The actual battle of Chi Bi is notoriously difficult to determine accurately. Already, from the era of the Three Kingdoms, records are often sketchy, to say nothing about the remains from that era.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 14:41   Link #37
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

At last, part 2 does the movie justice. All the juicy bits for Three Kingdoms aficionados are right there. I think John Woo never intended it to be two movies, thus explaining why part 1 seemed so lacklustre.

Spoiler for Arrows and Deception:

Spoiler for Climax:

Google Map guide to the battle. (In Chinese)
http://maps.google.com.hk/maps/mpl?t...&utm_term=redc

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote