AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-01-15, 00:24   Link #381
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The scene of the batting cages. I don't know what specifically, since I don't read the novel and would like to know as well.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 01:44   Link #382
wistfulloner

I'm somewhat confused as to what I should think of Kitamura. Right now he seems to be facing some sort of crisis, which takes his roles away from the "Mr. Perfect" kind of person, and into someone who has real troubles and difficulties. But further into the novel, it would seem that his reasons for such behavior is childish and for all intents and purposes, unneeded. Does he have a legitimate reason for acting out, or is Ami right in saying that he just wants attention?
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 08:39   Link #383
typhonsentra

The end of chapter 3, volume 5 is so sad.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 19:38   Link #384
typhonsentra

Anyone have a clue what happened to Roan?
Old 2009-01-21, 21:29   Link #385
roan

I'm still here. Just busy with....stuff.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 01:12   Link #386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I'm somewhat confused as to what I should think of Kitamura. Right now he seems to be facing some sort of crisis, which takes his roles away from the "Mr. Perfect" kind of person, and into someone who has real troubles and difficulties. But further into the novel, it would seem that his reasons for such behavior is childish and for all intents and purposes, unneeded. Does he have a legitimate reason for acting out, or is Ami right in saying that he just wants attention?
Read up on "Peter Pan" syndrome... young people who have too much pressure put on them sometimes act out and revert to childish ways (especially during a crisis) --- the idea of growing up, much less not quite the way you envisioned is scary.

Kitamura had just planned out a certain future in his mind (that included a certain someone). When that future was made impossible - he freaked out.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 12:14   Link #387
ThinkTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Read up on "Peter Pan" syndrome... young people who have too much pressure put on them sometimes act out and revert to childish ways (especially during a crisis) --- the idea of growing up, much less not quite the way you envisioned is scary.

Kitamura had just planned out a certain future in his mind (that included a certain someone). When that future was made impossible - he freaked out.
I don't think that describes Kitamura at all. It is nothing more than a guy at the end of his wits trying to win favor over a girl, and decides that switching sides (good to bad) might be the trick.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 15:11   Link #388
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Why on earth do you think pretending to be bad would win Sumire over? It is certainly not portrayed that way in the novel or the anime.
Old 2009-01-24, 02:37   Link #389
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
I don't think that describes Kitamura at all. It is nothing more than a guy at the end of his wits trying to win favor over a girl, and decides that switching sides (good to bad) might be the trick.
It is very clear that Sumire wants Kitamura to achieve his own goals and not be hindered by his liking to her, as can be seen from her "idiot" speech. Being "bad" would not make Sumire's situation any better.
Old 2009-01-24, 16:19   Link #390
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Vexx, I read up on that "Peter Pan" syndrome and, first I'm surprised that such a condition had a name , second, I think it's too much for Kitamura. It's not like he's refuses to accept society by continuing with his childish or rebel behavior. He was just rejected by the girl he liked and just like Ami said, in my opinion, he wants some attention. Personally, I think that particular behavior is intended to be pitied, and that way making the other feel guilty for what you're doing.
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 17:06   Link #391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, now that the truth is revealed... its not so much Peter Pan as he just no longer cared about his success since the girl he loved was not going to be around.
Old 2009-01-24, 18:45   Link #392
vaberella

Hiya guys...

I had brought this up at another site but not a soul is "wasting" their time on the manga or novel. Is it me or don't you find that Ryuuji is more masculine in the novel/manga than the anime. I get the feeling the anime is really feminizing him and that could be so he is juxtaposed to the hyper-maculation of Taiga. I was just wondering if others noticed that (if you're watching the anime)..at times I get frustated with the Ryuuji character and feel the anime writers are bastardizing his character.
vaberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 22:40   Link #393
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaberella View Post
Hiya guys...

I had brought this up at another site but not a soul is "wasting" their time on the manga or novel. Is it me or don't you find that Ryuuji is more masculine in the novel/manga than the anime. I get the feeling the anime is really feminizing him and that could be so he is juxtaposed to the hyper-maculation of Taiga. I was just wondering if others noticed that (if you're watching the anime)..at times I get frustated with the Ryuuji character and feel the anime writers are bastardizing his character.
Seconded. Ryuuji was more awesome as a guy as he is in the novels than in the anime. Although for the time being I don't care much about that...

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 23:16   Link #394
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

I notice very little difference.

He's still very feminine in the novels. He just has slightly more of a sex drive.
Old 2009-01-25, 00:02   Link #395
typhonsentra

The only difference is that he's occasionally more playful. Mostly with Ami but there was that time he hit Taiga in the butt with the rolled-up paper.
Old 2009-01-25, 00:17   Link #396
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
The only difference is that he's occasionally more playful. Mostly with Ami but there was that time he hit Taiga in the butt with the rolled-up paper.
Times. He does it more than once.

And then there's all the repressing of sexual desires towards Taiga... there's even one in the first book, during their warm-up before PE...
Old 2009-01-25, 04:29   Link #397
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Times. He does it more than once.

And then there's all the repressing of sexual desires towards Taiga... there's even one in the first book, during their warm-up before PE...
That part was classic. Ryuji you pervert you...
Old 2009-01-25, 16:07   Link #398
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yes, this is one of my few laments... Ryuuji is a much more complicated character and interestingly human, the anime over-simplifies him. I'd have written in some of his internal dialog and internal battles with hormones.
Old 2009-01-25, 17:04   Link #399
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Such is the fate of many anime protagonists with many internal monologues in the source material... at least Haruhi managed to keep in most of Kyon's narration, but they still made him look dumber than he actually is...
Old 2009-01-25, 17:21   Link #400
typhonsentra

Really? I never felt that way. Haruhi was pretty close to 1:1 the same from what I could tell besides the one filler and Lone Island.

Tags
light novels, shounen