AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2004-05-16, 15:57   Link #1
neohemp

BT is restarting my computer?

When I reach a certain download speed (apparently below 100kb/s, as that's what I have it capped at to test it) my computer completely flashes off (no shut down screen or anything) and commences to start back up on the startup

Anyone ever heard of this?
neohemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 17:26   Link #2
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Yep I can't have more than 5 instances of shadow's open or my computer will eventually do as yours does restart...which can suck if you have a large torrent going and all the downloading you did on big torrents will have to be redownloaded I assume it has to do with cpu power, I have a fast system and 2 instances of shadow's alone maxes my cpu at 100% never straggling below that but its a piss off knowing how great a program it is it takes up alot of resources.
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 15:00   Link #3
xavier8200

Ive had this problem a long time ago. I fixed it by buying a new ethernet card. It seems that the speeds were just too much for my card so the computer restarted alot. I got the newest ethernet card I could find and poof problem solved

Sig by Kagetsu, Avy by wnkryo
xavier8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:07   Link #4
nephilim
Loves Kaori

it could mean that ur drivers are corrupted. after u changed a new ethernet card (and new drivers for ur ethernet card), bt worked

nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:15   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
Yep I can't have more than 5 instances of shadow's open or my computer will eventually do as yours does restart...which can suck if you have a large torrent going and all the downloading you did on big torrents will have to be redownloaded I assume it has to do with cpu power, I have a fast system and 2 instances of shadow's alone maxes my cpu at 100% never straggling below that but its a piss off knowing how great a program it is it takes up alot of resources.
You may want to try out Azureus and check if it your computer reboots because of high CPU usage or not. Azureus will use only one window and it will never use 100% of you CPU power. Note: You may have to install Java first to run Azureus, if haven't already done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier8200
Ive had this problem a long time ago. I fixed it by buying a new ethernet card. It seems that the speeds were just too much for my card so the computer restarted alot. I got the newest ethernet card I could find and poof problem solved
Really? I thought there was a 10/100 Mbit standard for ethernet cards. You know, it could have been a driver problem as well. (Since you got new drivers with the new card you won't know...)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 21:04   Link #6
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by neohemp
When I reach a certain download speed (apparently below 100kb/s, as that's what I have it capped at to test it) my computer completely flashes off (no shut down screen or anything) and commences to start back up on the startup

Check this thread. If it doesnt seem to apply, follow the steps in this post. Post any thing unusual in this thread and I'll try and help.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 23:38   Link #7
Imazul

theres a function on winxp that auto-reboot when your cpu usage exceeds 100% (not exceed but ask for more) for a while.

Sadly I cant look onto it because I dont have Winxp installed (Winxp is evil)

If I remeber well, it might have been in the services.msc , check if theres a memory error set to reboot and then set it to take no action

If its not in there then disregard all I said...
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 00:15   Link #8
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
theres a function on winxp that auto-reboot when your cpu usage exceeds 100% (not exceed but ask for more) for a while.

Sadly I cant look onto it because I dont have Winxp installed (Winxp is evil)

If I remeber well, it might have been in the services.msc , check if theres a memory error set to reboot and then set it to take no action

If its not in there then disregard all I said...
It can also be a memory problem. Since you are using BitTorrnado, they have a mem-test application that you can use.

I have been running XP on so many computers with BT and I can say, it's definately not an XP problem.
________
Jeep Commander

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:11.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 02:20   Link #9
panianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohemp

The same thing happened to me recently. I've upgraded my internet connection from 256/128 to 526/256 and problems started. I used to download a lot during the night and never had problems with restarting, but now I just can't leave anything running. The computer just restarts sometimes during the night. I have to admit, I own quite an old Celeron processor, I've heard that it could be the root of my problem.
I use the latest verstions of BitTornado, ABC and Azureus. Would you recommend throttling my upload/download speeds a little? Would it help?
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 04:19   Link #10
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Kill the rooter.Or maybe change it but the best is to get ride of it.

I'm currently having the exact same problem each times my rooter is connected trough my phone line. Because it seems to be a disease affecting only the computers on on DSL or Broadband or whatever thats connected to wires.
Old 2004-05-26, 10:40   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
The same thing happened to me recently. I've upgraded my internet connection from 256/128 to 526/256 and problems started. I used to download a lot during the night and never had problems with restarting, but now I just can't leave anything running. The computer just restarts sometimes during the night. I have to admit, I own quite an old Celeron processor, I've heard that it could be the root of my problem.
I use the latest verstions of BitTornado, ABC and Azureus. Would you recommend throttling my upload/download speeds a little? Would it help?
Cappind download/upload speed is a good way to test to localize your problem. If the computer stops restarting, fine, if not, the restart could be caused from somewhere else. Did you install new drivers with your new connection or did you keep the old ones? (I had to install specific ADSL drivers). Another thing: Scan your system for virii and trojans because the could be the ones restarting your computer ^_^
Old 2004-05-26, 12:23   Link #12
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
OK guys, I'm not really understanding why we have to guess what's wrong with your computers. 9 times out of 10 the event viewer will hold an error report from a problem requiring a restart.

Point to your start menu and choose "Run"
Type "eventvwr.msc"
Hit Enter

You'll see something like this:

Click where it says system in the left side. Then follow the Time column (Red Arrow) to the last time your computer restarted. Look for a bunch of Error Messages (Blue Arrow). If you double click on the error message it will give you information about the problem. Something about memory error, a service failing, or network problems. Post that infomation here so we don't have to guess!

And Sin could be right, it could be a virus, but at least this way you have a chance to know what service or program restarted your computer.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 13:29   Link #13
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
OK guys, I'm not really understanding why we have to guess what's wrong with your computers. 9 times out of 10 the event viewer will hold an error report from a problem requiring a restart.

Point to your start menu and choose "Run"
Type "eventvwr.msc"
Hit Enter

You'll see something like this:

Click where it says system in the left side. Then follow the Time column (Red Arrow) to the last time your computer restarted. Look for a bunch of Error Messages (Blue Arrow). If you double click on the error message it will give you information about the problem. Something about memory error, a service failing, or network problems. Post that infomation here so we don't have to guess!

And Sin could be right, it could be a virus, but at least this way you have a chance to know what service or program restarted your computer.
I'll second that. The event viewer is a really helpful tool to pinpoint the source of the crashes (although it does not always help, i.e. I installed a new hard drive and it would crash but without a log in the event viewer. Thankfully I could fix it with a reinstall of Windows XP. The only thing that remains is that XP won't boot because of an Unmountable Boot Device (read: My HD) whenever I turn off the comp (restart, reset etc don't trigger that behaviour). The only way to fix it is to repair my Boot Record through a bootable CD. Any ideas on this one? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
I assume it has to do with cpu power, I have a fast system and 2 instances of shadow's alone maxes my cpu at 100% never straggling below that but its a piss off knowing how great a program it is it takes up alot of resources.
Either it is the client or a virus. The file which uses the 100% CPU power couldn't be svchost.exe? (Don't sweat, the file itself is completely legit, so don't do something stupid guys ^_^ [It is responsible for loadind dlls and can come in multiple instances).
If it is the svchost.exe it could either be a worm which utilizes the svchost.exe to do it's umm... worming (you know, whatever the worm wants to do ). Scan your system - not only with an Antivirus Program but an Antitrojan Program too. On the other hand it could "only" be a memory leak which should be fixed with SP2 (I don't know for sure because I got only SP1a).
There is also an easy way to kill the svchost.exe through the task manager without rebooting the computer but until someone wants to know how to, I won't post it because you could kill useful processes with it too ^_^) *sigh* the Animesuki & Technology Forums got the least viewers for sure...
Old 2004-05-27, 03:39   Link #14
panianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Cappind download/upload speed is a good way to test to localize your problem. If the computer stops restarting, fine, if not, the restart could be caused from somewhere else. Did you install new drivers with your new connection or did you keep the old ones? (I had to install specific ADSL drivers). Another thing: Scan your system for virii and trojans because the could be the ones restarting your computer ^_^
It looks like I found the reason why my computer restarted (hopefully). I looked at the event viewers and found out that system crasches coincide with the time when my monitor turns off automatically during the night. Strange, very strange.
Old 2004-05-27, 09:53   Link #15
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
It looks like I found the reason why my computer restarted (hopefully). I looked at the event viewers and found out that system crasches coincide with the time when my monitor turns off automatically during the night. Strange, very strange.
Good to hear that you could find the problem, but is strange indeed.
Do the following to confirm the problem:

Right click on the screen-->Properties-->Screen saver-->click the button on the very bottom (Energy-something)-->turn off monitor: 1 min-->Ok.
Wait 1min without touching anything. If it crashes, then congratulations, you found the cause of your problem. Repeat the steps and choose turn off monitor:never.

Good luck
Old 2004-05-28, 01:55   Link #16
panianna

Did as you said. No crashes so far. I can only hope it was my problem.
Old 2004-05-28, 03:02   Link #17
jana

hi guys I've got the same problem and I am going to take my comp. to the workshop so what should I ask them to do or what's main the problem exactly so they can fix it

thanks
jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 08:25   Link #18
mah_damey

i had this prob too. i juss got shadows bittorent n it nvr happened again.
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote