AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-01-25, 04:06   Link #21
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
How different is it from Broadway or Hollywood?
It's highly competitive and yet many people still jumps in for a shot. It's not anything new.
The difference is those actors don't need to take part time jobs to make ends meet.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 04:12   Link #22
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The difference is those actors don't need to take part time jobs to make ends meet.
Give me a break, only the tip of the iceberg makes it, the rest are all struggling to obtain a part and are doing second and/or third job to make end's meet. It the same anywhere in the entertainment business.
Old 2009-01-25, 04:21   Link #23
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Give me a break, only the tip of the iceberg makes it, the rest are all struggling to obtain a part and are doing second and/or third job to make end's meet. It the same anywhere in the entertainment business.
Don't you think you're overacting here?

Firstly the thread starter wants to know how to become a dub VA, not go to Japan and become a seiyuu there.

Then you dropped by and suggests going to Japan to become a seiyuu. And for some reason, you're feel very strong with your opinions even when its not what this thread is looking for.

"I want to become a French chef, please tell me how I can become one."
"Maybe you can go to Japan and become a Japanese chef."
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 09:38   Link #24
bayoab

Quote:
I also like to point out that region 1 for Blu-ray includes both US and Japan so big project will consider placing a second language sub to maximize sales if they are people readily available who can handle the job here in Japan.
The only Blu-ray discs with english audio are using already existing english dubs or have been "outsourced" to the US to be made.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 11:38   Link #25
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
How different is it from Broadway or Hollywood?
It's highly competitive and yet many people still jumps in for a shot. It's not anything new.
No, it's worse in many ways. Japanese VA industry is based on which company you work for. Those companies recruit out of the talent schools almost exclusively. If you aren't with a big company you can't get any serious VA work.

At least broadway has auditions, you have a slight chance of getting bit parts here and there. That chance is basically zero in Japan until you are signed by one of the big agencies. If you are older than 20 I doubt they'd even give you the time of day.

Like I said earlier, there are only 2 ways to break into the industry as a foriegner

1. Move there around high school or at minimum during college and follow the same path any other Japanese person aiming to be a seiyuu would. If you are already past college age this method is impossible. Even if you paid to go to a vocal training school, if you are too old you'll have zero chance of getting signed.

2. Move there and get specialized work that requires a native english speaker. Get to know people, make connections, and you might have a chance of getting a role somewhere through personal connections with producers or directors of an individual show.

I don't believe anyone has ever successfully accomplished either of these, but I see no other path that's remotely plausible.

Oh I suppose it might also be possible to try and become an idol instead of a VA first... That might actually be easier because there is surely a segment of the fanbase that would think a foreigner singing Japanese songs would be cute/attractive. But you'd be viewed as a curiosity more than a star.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 15:42   Link #26
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
if u want to dub... it would seem they would give anybody the job..... just call funmation or 4kidstv

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 10:28   Link #27
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
No, it's worse in many ways. Japanese VA industry is based on which company you work for. Those companies recruit out of the talent schools almost exclusively. If you aren't with a big company you can't get any serious VA work.

At least broadway has auditions, you have a slight chance of getting bit parts here and there. That chance is basically zero in Japan until you are signed by one of the big agencies. If you are older than 20 I doubt they'd even give you the time of day.
And how do you think VA are selected?
They are selected through AUDITIONS.
NO you will not able to apply if you are not registered with a management agency but to my knowledge that applies to most roles within the entertainment industry.
Information of a audition is passed down to various management agencies. Agencies will submit résumés with demo tapes of their enlisted VAs.
Initial screening will be done through the submitted information and people selected will be called in for audition.
That is the basic selection process for any role within the entertainment business beside very traditional entertainment like Kabuki.
Yes big agencies have more force in pushing in their people BUT again to my knowledge that's basically how this business works anywhere in the world.
Old 2009-01-30, 11:59   Link #28
FlyofDespair 86

I believe that Bang Zoom just came out with a DVD called Adventures in Voice Acting. It's sort of a behind the scenes look at what Voice Actors do and how they got where they got to and all that good stuff. My friend ordered it and seemed really excited about it, so if you'd like, I can PM you what she thought of it. Otherwise, I don't have any other advice to give you.

Hope that was helpful! Good luck!
FlyofDespair 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 23:04   Link #29
stubby42

Getting into acting is tough, and getting into voice acting is even harder the fact is that jobs dont come around very often for voice actors because theres very little being dubbed and companies prefer to use established voice actors.

Your best bet is to get as much acting experience as possible build up a CV of work and start going for small roles in films (as in so small they have litterally one line) those small roles will get you noticed if your consistently getting them and then you can go for bigger roles.

To start off go self represented, its not worth you wasting your money on a casting agency straight away partly because its hard to tell which agencies are worth signing onto (some dont make any effort and try to rip you off).

I know so far I havent mentioned voice acting yet but the fact is that most people wont get offered an audition without a good CV even for the tinyest roles in any production (even if it isnt va work).

Make sure you know the procedure for an audition.

Always have a copy of your resume and a head shot with you.

Always read the script, its even better if you've read more than just your part because it means you actually understand what the films about which helps you understand your role.

The auditions will be filmed because the casting director is trying to make a short list of people to show to the director.

In the room there will be the casting director and the casting directors assistant, the camera man and the sound man (some auditions will have the director but this tends to be for more major roles).

The casting director assistant is there to read lines with you
the camera man is there to film you
the sound man is there to record the sound, you'll be given a radio mic so wear clothes with pockets because you'll be hooked up to it.

It tends to be quick, especially with the one liners so dont be put off if your in and out the room in a short period of time, your audition may only last a minute.

and unfortunatly were their to judge you, if you hear us discussing you the fact is we have to decide if your suitable for the film, you might have the wrong look or you might of got the tone of the preformance wrong and I know its bad but its very easily to slip into being bitchy because its needed.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote