AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-12-10, 10:21   Link #241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
My take on it is that they can all perceive souls to some degree. Some are just better at it than others, while people like Black Star are practically useless when it comes to that.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-12-10, 12:12   Link #242
lmd_84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
Wait wait wait. B*S can once feel Sid's presence through Tsubaki.
Spoiler:
is that all Soul perception ability then? And if Spirit has Soul perception ability , why did he ask about Maka's condition to Stein in Kishin arc?

Spirit and Yumi are Death Scythes , which it's possible that they are special from any of Shibusen students after eating those 99 bad souls and 1 witch soul.

but...Soul perception ability isn't special then?? That's a bit disappointing

Spoiler:
I think Maka's particular soul wavelength is something different from Soul Perception, and that it's unusual whereas Soul Perception is not. I know Kid has Soul Perception - we found that out in the Nidhogg chapters/episode. Arguably Maka's is better, at least in some respects - can sense Stein and Marie even inside Brew's vortex when the others could not.

I don't think Soul Perception is anything special in the scheme of things - it turns up in some shape or form far too frequently (especially amongst the adult characters) for it to be a rare trait. Like the manga character I mentioned above, it falls well within Shinigami's point about human adaptation to the threat of witches - they became able to sense souls, and in response the witches developed Soul Protect.

On Maka - Simply put, I don't think she's a Weapon or has any of those characteristics.
Spoiler:
We know the look of Maka's soul from Stein; if there was 'Weapon' in her, he surely would have noticed it. This is assuming Weapon forms are always as clear from individual souls as Giriko and Justin's are.

Also, given the sort of direction she's taken in the past when it comes to brute strength, I doubt she would have ignored any Weapon ability she possessed. We knew early on - Shinigami in episode 5 - that a Weapon provides the physical power in a pair.

I can't imagine Maka - good student that she is - was entirely unaware of this relationship, and had she possessed a Weapon form when she decided she needed to become 'stronger' physically, I think she would have used it then if at all. She certainly was under the impression that pressing forward hard, figuratively and literally, was the way to go.

On Spirit in the Kishin arc - Like I said before, I think Soul Perception differs between individuals. It's quite possible Spirit doesn't have as wide a range for soul perception as Stein does.
lmd_84 is offline  
Old 2008-12-13, 18:47   Link #243
Stream
Radical Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Soul perception isn't a special ability. Instead, it's an ability that high-level technicians have. Some technicians are obviously better at it than others, but wth even Black Star possessing (weak) soul perception now, it's obvious that it's not a special ability. So far, Stein, BJ, and Maka have the strongest soul perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Spoiler:
That is why I am suggesting that Maka inherited "Weapon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
We know the look of Maka's soul from Stein; if there was 'Weapon' in her, he surely would have noticed it. This is assuming Weapon forms are always as clear from individual souls as Giriko and Justin's are.
I am still waiting for the evidence that Stein can recognize the difference between a weapon and technician soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Also, given the sort of direction she's taken in the past when it comes to brute strength, I doubt she would have ignored any Weapon ability she possessed. We knew early on - Shinigami in episode 5 - that a Weapon provides the physical power in a pair.

I can't imagine Maka - good student that she is - was entirely unaware of this relationship, and had she possessed a Weapon form when she decided she needed to become 'stronger' physically, I think she would have used it then if at all. She certainly was under the impression that pressing forward hard, figuratively and literally, was the way to go.
First, you say, "a weapon provides the physical power in a pair." Um, what do you mean? Also, maybe you can't imagine it, but I can. She wants to be stronger as a technician, not a weapon.
Stream is offline  
Old 2008-12-14, 07:46   Link #244
lmd_84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, England
The inheritance point combined with the fact the Weapons' souls appear to reflect their forms is why I don't think Maka has Weapon traits. If she does, and is aware of them, I think she would have used them by now following her determination to become physically stronger.

Which leads me onto Shinigami's point in episode 5 - After Stein first hits Maka with his wavelength, Kid points out that Weapons cause physical damage and enhance their Technician's wavelength (re Shinigami's guitar and amplifier analogy).

The two - the nature of a Weapon to deal physical damage, and Maka's post-Crona determination to being physically stronger - is why I think if Maka knew she had Weapon characteristics, she would have used them by now.

Admittedly, no, we don't know Stein can identify a Weapon by their souls, so in that respect there might be something Weapon-related about Maka that we don't yet know. But that would add another unusual aspect to a character who I think already has enough to deal with - the black blood and
Spoiler:


I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. You think Maka could be a Weapon of some sort, and I don't. Fair?
lmd_84 is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 15:05   Link #245
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 19
Question - If Maka is able to use something like Soul Purge...since she has a demon slayer wavelength wouldn't that be something she could use to rid Marie of the snake and to rid Stein of the wavelength of insanity because Soul Purge forces the users wavelength into the opponent.
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline  
Old 2008-12-20, 17:50   Link #246
lmd_84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, England
On Marie...possibly the technique would work. I'm very dubious about the notion that Maka (or anyone) alone could dispel the effects of Asura's insanity from Stein. We know one wavelength can affect another - it's why Marie's with Franken - but Asura's wavelength is massive and extremely powerful. If Soul Purge could help Franken, I think it would have been used already, because Shinigami knows of the technique and wants to help him.
lmd_84 is offline  
Old 2008-12-21, 16:11   Link #247
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
On Marie...possibly the technique would work. I'm very dubious about the notion that Maka (or anyone) alone could dispel the effects of Asura's insanity from Stein. We know one wavelength can affect another - it's why Marie's with Franken - but Asura's wavelength is massive and extremely powerful. If Soul Purge could help Franken, I think it would have been used already, because Shinigami knows of the technique and wants to help him.
Yeah I know but it couldn't have been used already because only Maka and her mother have the Demon-Slayer Wavelength therefore if Maka was to learn to master or at least get near mastery on focusing the Demon-slayer wavelength and was able to perform Soul Purge/Double Lance or maybe even Soul Menace on Stein maybe it could at least lessen the effects of insanity on Stein.
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline  
Old 2008-12-22, 07:08   Link #248
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
wait wait...Maka's mom has demonslayer's wavelength as well? I didn't know that!

And some random thought....I noticed earlier Maka's soul shape is an angel one , and Soul has demon inside him...wow what an opposite attract!

About getting rid of insanity , she herself can't get rid the black blood out of Soul -- how can she get rid of anyone else's?
Reincarnated is offline  
Old 2008-12-22, 13:10   Link #249
Mattelajn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Village called Källby in Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Question - If Maka is able to use something like Soul Purge...since she has a demon slayer wavelength wouldn't that be something she could use to rid Marie of the snake and to rid Stein of the wavelength of insanity because Soul Purge forces the users wavelength into the opponent.
Wouldn't that hurt them also?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic89672_10.gif
Mattelajn is offline  
Old 2008-12-22, 13:12   Link #250
lmd_84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, England
@Reincarnated

It's anime canon that Maka's mother has the same wavelength, I think. From what Cub-sama was suggesting, I think the idea is that because she has the demonslayer wavelength, Maka could adapt Soul Purge (or similar) to remove the effects of the insanity wavelength from, say, Stein. If so, I'd say it hasn't happened with Soul because Maka hasn't considered her wavelength like that yet. However, she has recognised that - for whatever reason - the black blood doesn't stay in her.

That said, I don't agree Maka could do such a thing. But it is a neat idea.
lmd_84 is offline  
Old 2008-12-22, 15:04   Link #251
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
@Reincarnated

It's anime canon that Maka's mother has the same wavelength, I think. From what Cub-sama was suggesting, I think the idea is that because she has the demonslayer wavelength, Maka could adapt Soul Purge (or similar) to remove the effects of the insanity wavelength from, say, Stein. If so, I'd say it hasn't happened with Soul because Maka hasn't considered her wavelength like that yet. However, she has recognised that - for whatever reason - the black blood doesn't stay in her.

That said, I don't agree Maka could do such a thing. But it is a neat idea.
I was just hoping it was possible because Stein is one of my favourite characters and him not being able to fight due to insanity is kind of annoying.
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline  
Old 2009-02-01, 02:16   Link #252
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
I love these two as characters and as a couple.

They go so well together ^_^. I hope they have more moments in the future.
Kirvee is offline  
Old 2009-02-02, 00:00   Link #253
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
But Maka in the recent episode annoys me a bit I know that she was always ranting about not being strong in the beginning of this anime , but other than that she is so determined , and not moping around like that >_>"

While Soul is like "I don't care" at first too...*sigh*

I hope this is just me.
Reincarnated is offline  
Old 2009-02-03, 00:50   Link #254
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Do you mean in episode 42?

She did seem a bit too mopey...but then again, this is a diversion from the manga, so the finer points of the relationships are different.

On a slightly different note, I found it oddly cute when Soul came into the kitchen and was able to drink out of a milk carton and Maka not care at all. You know you live with a good woman when something like that happens, XD.
Kirvee is offline  
Old 2009-02-05, 13:55   Link #255
sbk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
The way Soul says "cool" cracks me up. He´s probably my favorite character.
sbk is offline  
Old 2009-02-05, 17:16   Link #256
lmd_84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
Do you mean in episode 42?

She did seem a bit too mopey...but then again, this is a diversion from the manga, so the finer points of the relationships are different.

On a slightly different note, I found it oddly cute when Soul came into the kitchen and was able to drink out of a milk carton and Maka not care at all. You know you live with a good woman when something like that happens, XD.
I took it that Maka was too depressed to notice or care. Normally, I reckon she'd have smacked him with the nearest hardback.

Her attitude in recent episodes is a little irritating, but I can see where it's coming from.
lmd_84 is offline  
Old 2009-02-05, 17:40   Link #257
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
@lmd: That's true. But then it'd seem like Soul was taking advantage of her depression, which I don't think he'd do.
Kirvee is offline  
Old 2009-02-06, 13:10   Link #258
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
^ Err I dont understand. what do you mean by that?
Reincarnated is offline  
Old 2009-02-06, 15:46   Link #259
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Like, if Maka normally hits Soul if he drinks out of the carton, then by him drinking out of it when she seems too depressed to care about it, it seems as if he's using her depression to his advantage so that he can drink out of the carton without getting hit.

Yeah...

But, I don't think Soul would do that to Maka, which is why I say she probably lets him which means she's a good woman to live with, because most women have hissy fits if a guy drinks from a carton.
Kirvee is offline  
Old 2009-02-06, 16:53   Link #260
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
Like, if Maka normally hits Soul if he drinks out of the carton, then by him drinking out of it when she seems too depressed to care about it, it seems as if he's using her depression to his advantage so that he can drink out of the carton without getting hit.

Yeah...

But, I don't think Soul would do that to Maka, which is why I say she probably lets him which means she's a good woman to live with, because most women have hissy fits if a guy drinks from a carton.
Not sure if that means he's taking advantage of her depression. I mean if he does it anyways despite getting hit then he'd just be behaving normally. Just not adjusting his milk drinking behaviour due to a depressed Maka. But maybe they just agreed that its fine for him to drink out of the carton. Of course I doubt they are going to show him drinking any milk in the future so speculation on this point will probably never reach a certain conclusion.

At any rate living together I'm sure they've had to come to agreements about things. Not easy to live with others so have to make things work. They are an interesting pair even if I wouldn't have them as my favourite team. Though still like the Maka and Soul team.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.