AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-02-05, 22:01   Link #61
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
lol actually james is spot on,whos to say Sengoku is somewhat perverted and wouldn't have some sort of desire towards Boa. You don't know for sure who could fall for Boa, I'm certain some of the top dogs would have some feelings floating about if they met her.
I am betting..No scratch that, I Garauntee you they won't.
You already seen lower members like Jinbei, Ace and Luffy not caring about Boa's bull. Just like Alvida, only cannon fodder cater to their charms.

Quote:
I'm sure her using her looks helps in using her DF which means its very possible to snag a top dog, just cause its only been shown that Ace and Jinbei didn't show anything doesn't mean others wouldn't.
Like I said before, You people need more practice at shonen manga.

Quote:
and seriously, you have been reading the same manga as the rest of us? this is OP we are talking about, anythings possible
Heheh...

Quote:
@The Phenomenol: Okay, let me put it another way; Sanji will one day be amongst the "Top Tier" and he will always be affected by Hancock's abilities (even if his petrification would only ever be for comedic effect). So, if at least one Top Tier person can be affected isn't it possible that others could as well?
Sanji? Terrible example with him and a women in the same sentence.

Quote:
Notice, I am not saying that all Top Tier opponents would be affected by Hancock's charms are abilities (in fact I doubt many ever would), but I see no reason to automatically assume that there is absolutely no Top Tier opponent that would ever desire Hancock.
Jinbei, Ace and Croc says hello!!
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:37   Link #62
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
Sanji? Terrible example with him and a women in the same sentence.
Why is it a terrible example? Sanji will be amongst the Top Tier, and he will be affected by Hancock's power...so, how does this not prove the possibility, if nothing else, that a Top-Tier character could potentially be affected by Hancock's powers.

But, since you seem to have a problem with Sanji succumbing to his known weakness (he can't even strike a woman, so how would he even stand near Hancock without being instantly petrified?), then how about the Warden of Impel Down? He can and will be affected by Hancock's petrifaction abilities. He is a name character (unlike the multi-million berri "cannon-fodder squad), and he has already fallen to Hancock's tricks. True he is only (probably) on equal standing to a Vice-Admiral, but he is still arguably a high level character (I doubt he is on the level with an Admiral, but he is probably closer to the top of the Vice-Admiral scale rather than the bottom of the Vice-Admiral scale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
Jinbei, Ace and Croc says hello!!
So all high level characters are instantly like Ace, Jinbei and Crocodile? How is taking such an extreme outlook any different from Flipskuul stating that Hancock could definitely defeat high-level characters with her Mero Mero powers? You have both simply taken the extreme opposite stances on the same issue.

While it is probably true that Hancock's Mero Mero powers will not work on the Top Tier characters (instead her Haki powers will allow her to equal the Top Tier), but can you honestly say that there could never be a single Top Tier character in the entire One Piece universe that would not be affected by Hancock's abilities? Because I cannot stand behind such a statement (not that you really care ). If you can, by all means go ahead (just please one last time say so, and I can drop the issue), but I do not see sufficient reason to embrace such an extreme opinion, especially considering that we have no real idea what the future holds and the evidence provided so far is not necessarily a slam dunk for any specific side.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 00:00   Link #63
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Why is it a terrible example? Sanji will be amongst the Top Tier, and he will be affected by Hancock's power...so, how does this not prove the possibility, if nothing else, that a Top-Tier character could potentially be affected by Hancock's powers.

But, since you seem to have a problem with Sanji succumbing to his known weakness (he can't even strike a woman, so how would he even stand near Hancock without being instantly petrified?), then how about the Warden of Impel Down? He can and will be affected by Hancock's petrifaction abilities. He is a name character (unlike the multi-million berri "cannon-fodder squad), and he has already fallen to Hancock's tricks. True he is only (probably) on equal standing to a Vice-Admiral, but he is still arguably a high level character (I doubt he is on the level with an Admiral, but he is probably closer to the top of the Vice-Admiral scale rather than the bottom of the Vice-Admiral scale).
Sanji chases whatever is in a mini-skirt. That's why it was a bad example.
The Warden? The Warden is lame, not a heavy hitter!

Quote:
So all high level characters are instantly like Ace, Jinbei and Crocodile? How is taking such an extreme outlook any different from Flipskuul stating that Hancock could definitely defeat high-level characters with her Mero Mero powers? You have both simply taken the extreme opposite stances on the same issue.
No, the very fact that NO heavy hitter has been affected by Boa's power [Luffy, Ace, Jinbei, Croc] and only weaklings have proves my point.

Quote:
While it is probably true that Hancock's Mero Mero powers will not work on the Top Tier characters (instead her Haki powers will allow her to equal the Top Tier), but can you honestly say that there could never be a single Top Tier character in the entire One Piece universe that would not be affected by Hancock's abilities?.
Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be top-tier if they could be so easily defeated.
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 00:06   Link #64
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
...Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be top-tier if they could be so easily defeated.
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, but, I'm sure you already know that .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 02:11   Link #65
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, but, I'm sure you already know that .
As long as it doesn't become a Shanks vs. Mihawk debate at the end, consider it as a success.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 06:29   Link #66
Wolcik
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poland
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Hancock leaving to Marine HQ now is still a possibility. She has already did all she could. Met with Ace, and had brought Luffy to the prison.
__________________
Wolcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 09:55   Link #67
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere
alright! so Hancock's charms affected most all of the prisoners in lvl 5! It also affected Magdellan or whatever his name was; the warden.

is this proof enough to say that she can petrify powerful people???
__________________
Bari_Phillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 11:20   Link #68
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Don't take jokes for real...

I don't say Her ability can't do that, I just say you can't use something we can't take seriously to prove your point. Furthermore, their ambition and will are already rotten, locked in there for years and hunger for women. (by the way, how many believe Shanks's a virgin? ) And in fact their reaction are also quite different from what the marine underling showed.

Still, i don't think her petrify would be of any use against the top. Simply because this is a manga, and to take out a badass character like that is way too unwise. Argue all you want, I don't think Oda would actually draw it out.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-02-06 at 11:59.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:10   Link #69
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
alright! so Hancock's charms affected most all of the prisoners in lvl 5! It also affected Magdellan or whatever his name was; the warden.

is this proof enough to say that she can petrify powerful people???
I think what needs to be understood here is that, yes her charms did indeed work on those prisoners on "Ace's Floor", and we know for a fact that they are not weak in the least bit since they are imprisoned in the same level as Jimbei, Ace, and Crocodile. However, to suggest that all of these guys (I know you're not suggesting this ) are on the same tier as the three aforementioned characters I listed is a little ridiculous. If all of these prisoners, in addition to the many "silver medalists" Crocodile spoke of, were really in the same tier as the three world powers, don't you think that such a large number of powerful individuals would undermine them (marines, shichibukai, emperors) and make them seem commonplace? Oda established the three world powers to let the readers know who the top dogs are in the One Piece world. Sure there are some really powerful pirates or other individuals that keep low profiles, like Blackbeard and Rayleigh, but such cases are very rare.

My point in telling you all of this (and I'm definitely sure you know this) is that not everyone is going to be in the same tier as the three world powers. Tiers of strength must (and will always) exist in shounen manga ( though there are a few exceptions). One piece, being mainly about adventure and fighting, is no different and follows this shounen archetype no matter how you look at it.

In the end, my whole argument is that Hancock would not be able to successfully pull off her petrification on characters who are in the same tier as her. I personally felt that Vice Admiral Momonga having to stab himself in the hand was a sign of weakness against Hancock's ability, and that Oda showed us this scene for the purpose of letting us know that Momonga is not quite on her level of power. Do you think that Mihawk would have to stab himself in the hand to fight Hancock properly? If he did, the readers would perceive him as a pervert and weak willed; two characteristics that are very unlikely for him to possess knowing his character. How about if Hancock's opponents don't have weapons on them? Would that really be the end for them since they wouldn't be able to cut themselves so as to cause pain and not focus on her charms? Actually, if they don't have a weapon, there is a way to avoid her charms, even though it is really stupid. They could just hit themselves to cause pain. Imagine Doflamingo getting into a fight with Hancock, and since he doesn't have a weapon he would have to punch himself in the face as many times as necessary in order to divert his attention away from her charms. Do you see now why it is silly and stupid for her charms to work on characters as strong or stronger than her? It's okay for her power to work on people who are weaker to significantly weaker than her so that she could show her dominance over them (this is done in many shounen mangas), but for her to successfully pull off the same maneuver on people her level or stronger is far fetched. Otherwise, she would be unstoppable and able to defeat anyone.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:15   Link #70
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
ehh so which type of Df is the wardens then?
seemed like a logia to me.

Sadi-chwan = win!

also I think its safe to say the warden is a top dog and a heavy hitter yet he went all heart eyed over Boa. Someone posted before they would have a hard time imagine top players going all "Sanji like" but for me, I have no trouble at all as this is OP
you guys have to remember OP really ain't your average shouen, as I've said before pretty much anything is possible.
hate when people apply "unwritten" rules towards certain genres I find that doesn't make for enjoyable veiwing

but like Cinocord, Oda may very well never show us any of the top-tiers falling for Boas charm but doesn't mean it could never happen.

well either way I'm gonna stop with the whole Boa thing for time being and gonna enjoy the reuinon of Strawhat-chwan and Bon-chwan!
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 13:04   Link #71
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
the interaction between vice warden and the warden is hilarious. i luv the part when the vice warden try to mingle in the shouts by the lvl5 prisoner and ask the warden to screw off
ChaosPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 13:34   Link #72
viperx116
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Lol at the name Sadi; it's so fitting.
viperx116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 13:41   Link #73
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
...Do you see now why it is silly and stupid for her charms to work on characters as strong or stronger than her? It's okay for her power to work on people who are weaker to significantly weaker than her so that she could show her dominance over them (this is done in many shounen mangas), but for her to successfully pull off the same maneuver on people her level or stronger is far fetched. Otherwise, she would be unstoppable and able to defeat anyone.
Why does everyone go for the extremes? MarvelB and I have mentioned, since her introduction, how "broken" Hancock's powers are, and their is no doubt that her DF abilities would simply let her steam roll everyone if everyone acted like Sanji. But, the fact is not everyone acts like Sanji, but, what many are forgetting to mention, is that some people do. So, while Hancock's DF powers would probably not work on the currently known Top Tier players, what is to stop Kaidou from being a pervert? Or the other unknown Yonkou? Or Akainu (okay, maybe not Akainu ). I just see no reason to argue for such absolutes. Everyone has a weakness, so why are we trying to make one specific weakness absolutely impossible for potential characters to have?

(DoFlamingo would not fall for her DF abilities because he is to self-absorbed...though he might secretly wonder to himself how much he could sell her for...)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:10   Link #74
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Everyone has a weakness, so why are we trying to make one specific weakness absolutely impossible for potential characters to have?
That is considered obsession. Strong enough to make someone go blind and ignore any kind of possibility. In short, someone to avoid at all costs, even if you find it hard to do so. Hunter and many others experienced the same with Yellowflash, and his clones....Anyways, enough of these brats....

I wonder what changed Mr. 3 and Buggy's minds to free Bon-chan. They are missing from the chapter too. I doubt they will continue their plans to escape. So, the next time they meet, it will be at, this level, or the level below. And, in any case, considering that the major known obstacles in the current level are eliminated in this chapter, reinforcement coming from the upper levels may be the trigger for a re-union.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:23   Link #75
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah, I highly doubt that Hancock's powers will work on too many of the top-tier characters of the series. In fact, that's the biggest problem with the Mero Mero fruit: It's way too freakin' unbalanced. There's really no telling who amongst the top-tier pirates are the most sucseptible to her powers, but there are probably several "normal" folks who wouldn't be affected by her either (either because they're gay or just plain have no interest in women).....



Of course, she wouldn't even need to use her DF powers on ultra-perverts like Sanji or Absalom. They'd probably become statues just upon glancing at her.




Anyways, on the chapter: I absolutely loved how Hannyabal was jeering Magellan along with the rest of the prisoners on "Ace's floor" (in fact, he insults him quite a few times throughout Hancock's visit). And now that I have a better glimpse of Magellan's hydra attack, it really does further bring up the debate of whether or not he's a Logia, because his whole body is so.... melty when his power's activated. Also, I find it rather interesting that Oda doesn't show us Crocodile's face despite the fact that it's obviously him being held down there with Ace and Jinbei. Maybe his face was further mangled while being tortured by the minotaur.....?




And of course, Luffy's reunion with Bon Clay was sweet. And yeah, it definitely looks like the sphinx is down for the count (Bon Clay saw to that). Oh well. But now I'm rather interested in that huge koala bear that was lurking behind Sadi when she was talking to the marines. My immediate guess is that the koala is a DF weapon since Sadi says that she loves torture (her name definitely implies it), so.... maybe it's a torture instrument that "ate" a koala fruit or something?



Oh, and Saldeath playing his trident/pitchfork like a flute was pretty neat. I guess Luffy and Bon-chan will team up to take him out next chapter (unless Buggy and Mr. 3 decide to join in on the fun, that is).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:29   Link #76
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, on the chapter: I absolutely loved how Hannyabal was jeering Magellan along with the rest of the prisoners on "Ace's floor" (in fact, he insults him quite a few times throughout Hancock's visit).
Yes, there was a scene ("hurry up and free the seat, a..."), when everyone was throwing insults at him, he was doing the same while staying away from him, as if he is one of the prisoners.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:38   Link #77
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oh yeah, anothe thing: I find it pretty interesting that we were given a primer to Bon Clay's ability this chapter akin to the one we were given for Buggy's a few chapters back. I wonder if we'll get these little primers for ALL of Luffy's allies in this arc (and in that case, why haven't we gotten Mr. 3's yet?). Heh, that'll make it all the more interesting for Daz if he actually decides to join with Luffy later on.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:41   Link #78
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh yeah, anothe thing: I find it pretty interesting that we were given a primer to Bon Clay's ability this chapter akin to the one we were given for Buggy's a few chapters back.
There is nothing new in that information. So I think this is more like Oda joking with us, using Bon-chan. I have to admit that Bon-chan is the right character to push forward that message.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:51   Link #79
Wolcik
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poland
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Sadi-chan said that they won't be asking Marine HQ for help, and they locked up all entraces.

The fact that we haven't seen Crocodile's face till now is really interesting. I bet he's changed his image.
Those first shown Ace's lvl random imprisoned guys were petty cool with their tattooes

I'm not sure if it's a Koala - I didn't see a resamblance, and it might be this thing butt or something XD
__________________
Wolcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:55   Link #80
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
There is nothing new in that information. So I think this is more like Oda joking with us, using Bon-chan. I have to admit that Bon-chan is the right character to push forward that message.

I know the info's not new, but I still find it amusing nonetheless. Seeing as Luffy joins up with a new partner by each new floor he reaches, I think it's rather nice that we get these little "reminders" of the partners' abilities for those of us who've forgotten how their powers work (though again, we still haven't gotten one for Mr. 3 yet)....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
I'm not sure if it's a Koala - I didn't see a resamblance, and it might be this thing butt or something XD



It's a koala. You can even tell by looking at the ears. I mean, even the marines noticed it....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.