AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 73 48.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 31.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-08, 22:34   Link #161
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPhlare View Post
I was thinking about this quote today, and I must say if that kind of prediction is pretty horrible... because it's just way too simple. Now I hope that I'm not just setting myself up for disappointment, but that kind of story is just like a trash American family movie where the absent father takes the kids on vacation and then starts to bond with them, then realizes he doesn't want his b*tch ex-wife to take the kids with her to Chicago or whatever medium-large city she couldn't have any real reason to go to.

This is no place for speculation, but Tomoya will probably come close to losing Ushio, or Ushio will find a memento (message) left over from Nagisa, or Tomoya will see Nagisa in a spiritual vision. Hmmm... I loved that "Forget-About-Me" scene in Kanon. Whatever it is, it will definitely be more fulfilling than a "realization" on Tomoya's part.

Nagisa didn't save the entire planet with a prayer, but she is still my Aerith; ^_^ Dearly missed and further appearing only in visions, hallucinations, and near-death experiences.
Flashes of the obvious are pretty bad copouts for character development. Even if one can say that the truth that Tomoya needs to know with his daughter might have been inside him "all along", it doesn't just come out of you suddenly. Sometimes it takes a catharsis(sp?) experiences for people to learn what they need to. Considering the way the story unfolded in the game, I expect that KyotoAni continues to stick with it and not give us a coput resolution to this arc.
Old 2009-02-09, 03:28   Link #162
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPhlare View Post
I was thinking about this quote today, and I must say if that kind of prediction is pretty horrible... because it's just way too simple. Now I hope that I'm not just setting myself up for disappointment, but that kind of story is just like a trash American family movie where the absent father takes the kids on vacation and then starts to bond with them, then realizes he doesn't want his b*tch ex-wife to take the kids with her to Chicago or whatever medium-large city she couldn't have any real reason to go to.
It is depressing. But can you blame them for thinking like that?
Spoiler:

That's why I'm depressed about the way this arc is divided.
Even so when I think about it, could kyo-ani possibly make 1.5 episode suddenly just to fit in the material?

For now, I just hope that the next episode doesn't split this arc into another episode. Disaster.

Old 2009-02-09, 06:05   Link #163
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Edit - Blargh. Moot issue.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-02-09 at 10:11.
Old 2009-02-09, 07:11   Link #164
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

We have a thread for speculation for future episode gentlemen. Please use that.
Old 2009-02-09, 08:00   Link #165
Forestyan

I like how they payed attention to small details in this episode. In the previous episodes we saw his mailbox with names Nagisa and Tomoya Okazaki, but in this episode has been torn off. It saddens me how destructive to himself he has become, surley this is not what Nagisa wanted.
Old 2009-02-09, 12:14   Link #166
Marina2

Ushio surely look like Nagisa more than in visual novel.

She's look like Nagisa in SD mode, So cute!!
Old 2009-02-09, 15:47   Link #167
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I must admit that Ushio is just god awfully cute i mean damn so cute i think i actually awwwww every time they showed her face. Even the way they managed to do her speech just like a 5 year old. She is the spiting image of Nagisa but i notice a bit of Tomoya's personality in her. I think what Sanae did was and is the best thing for both of them. Some has to snap Tomoya out of this life damaging funk or he never will and HE WILL become his father and regreat having never known his daughter. This is not what Nagisa would have wanted.

Ushio probably does not know that Tomoya is her father but kids have an uncanny way of knowing more than we give them credit for. Ushio obviously feels drawn to Tomoya if she did not then she would have tried to do things so he would praise her like her telling him she went potty by herself. Some made her want to impress this person and go on a trip with him. '

Ushio is 5 years still at an age where she could bond with Tomoya and he could still be a father to her. It will just take time and Tomoya opening his heart again. After all Ushio is the culmination of his and Nagisa love the ultimate product of love. I have faith that Tomoya will avoid the same trap his father fell into and become a good father with help.

Sanae kind of creep me out at the restaurant but she has always been carefree like that so her joking around about liking younger men was funny to me. As was her phone call over and over till Tomoya answered the way she wanted. Sanae is gorgeous and scary all in one package. BTW she never ages ah the power of anime.

Great episode still depressing a little but a ray of light.
Old 2009-02-09, 22:31   Link #168
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

I guess i guessed wrong; Ushio is a girl.
wonder what it woulda turned out if Ushio was a boy. not shy perhaps?
Old 2009-02-09, 22:43   Link #169
Justin Kim
*Artist

Lol well aren't kids usually born shy? Like you need to nurture them to be confident, but not overly-boastful of their winnings?
Old 2009-02-09, 23:14   Link #170
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Sexual differences in personality, other than those imposed by education only arise till puberty.
Old 2009-02-09, 23:22   Link #171
Tempester
is making a new theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStrike View Post
I guess i guessed wrong; Ushio is a girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Sexual differences in personality, other than those imposed by education only arise till puberty.
Haha if Ushio was a boy he would still be super-cute, but would be more obnoxious, act like a shounen anime protagonist, and would rip up the toy given to him.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Old 2009-02-10, 00:17   Link #172
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
ROFL. I didn't watch after story yet, I just downloaded ep 17 to take a glimps of Ushio
If you wanted to see a glimpse of Ushio, you should've just watched the first ep. of clannad.
Old 2009-02-10, 02:59   Link #173
achirist

This episode was just awful. At least in the film version they showed scenes of his life after Nagisa's death, of his friends trying to console him, of his lifelessness and avoidance. The fact that this series couldn't even be serious enough to show a meaningful aftermath of Nagisa's death before going into "cute comedy" with ushio is the last straw for me.
Old 2009-02-10, 03:34   Link #174
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Someone who's "clicking" with the series won't need it shown onscreen; they'd be able to empathize well enough with the characters to know just how much of an impact Nagisa's death had on them.
Old 2009-02-10, 03:44   Link #175
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Aww I'm scared with how Clannads going to end. Hope its at least a happy one.
Old 2009-02-10, 14:23   Link #176
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
This episode was just awful. At least in the film version they showed scenes of his life after Nagisa's death, of his friends trying to console him, of his lifelessness and avoidance. The fact that this series couldn't even be serious enough to show a meaningful aftermath of Nagisa's death before going into "cute comedy" with ushio is the last straw for me.
I feel it necessary to point out that the way KyoAni did it is faithful to the original work, which also did not dwell on Nagisa's death before fast forwarding to the Ushio arc. This is replicating the story very faithfully to this point, something the film did not do really at any point. Though I do think it's possible that some things will be altered because of the differences between the VN and anime versions of Clannad (the latter being wherein the Nagisa arc is not in a bubble). Either way, there were maybe 30 lines of text from Nagisa's death until Sanae's "date" with Tomoya in the visual novel.
Old 2009-02-10, 14:48   Link #177
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
That was the movie mistake: you can't have friends to be conveniently there where things are for the worst.

And I believe you are missing the point: even if Ushio was shown cute and all, it gave a huge emphasis on how the relationship between her and Tomoya is almost inexistent. Tomoya most of the time felt completely indifferent and rather displeased to take care of "troublesome" task he has to do out of duty, not out of parental feelings.
The serious aftermath is shown: Tomoya get through 5 years of shitty life, just being a reckless workholic, feeling his boring everyday with alcohol, tabacco and gambling. If you add a borderline inexistent bound between him and Ushio, it pretty much show how serious and terrible Tomoya became after Nagisa's death. You don't need an emo character to realize he is destroyed. Their actions and behaviour can be enough to conclude they are mere shadows of themselves.

And this is actually the start of development for both, while the Movie butchered it to DEATH it was not even funny.
Old 2009-02-10, 16:57   Link #178
Forestyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
If you wanted to see a glimpse of Ushio, you should've just watched the first ep. of clannad.
Hold on, what?

EDIT: Oh, i see it now
Old 2009-02-10, 18:30   Link #179
Justin Kim
*Artist

I think overall, Tomoya can be stubborn-_-, he always is really "moody." Although all of his friends try their best to help him out.
Old 2009-02-10, 18:35   Link #180
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
What? Where?