AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-02-09, 22:33   Link #1541
EternalNeptune
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
No it means i am a protestant but i dislike the catholic system.
EternalNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 23:31   Link #1542
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
That's kind of .... redundant???? Being a Protestant, by definition, means you protest the Catholic system -- you don't see the Pope as the inerrant direct line to God.
Protestantism is founded on individual connections to God, that "my way or else" isn't quite right (though you wouldn't know it sometimes from the noises some protestant evangelists make in their assertions).
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 02:23   Link #1543
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNeptune View Post
No it means i am a protestant but i dislike the catholic system.
Hmm, that's usually not what people consider in their religious identifications, no? I mean, you can dislike the Catholic Church and belong to whatever denomination or religion at the same time (even - heck - Catholic, self-identified) but usually that dislike of another religious organization isn't part of what makes up your worldview.

But I suppose I have no right to be questioning everyone's views.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 09:20   Link #1544
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
The most humorous thing for me is when one religious practitioner attempts to make out a religion other than their own as ridiculous. Open your eyes, people...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 09:28   Link #1545
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
I don't see why people would bother with the comparisons...everyone got their own beliefs, it's not something easy to change but even if they differ from yours, what's it to you? it's not like you're gonna marry them or something. Can't say I dislike a religion (although I don't know all of them), unless its practice includes acts that violate human rights in any way or are otherwise unaccepted by modern society.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 14:25   Link #1546
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The problem with "live and let live" is that some religions are the "One True Way" and part of the usual tenet is that you *must* try to save everyone else. "Convert or die" in some cases.... in some extreme cases, simply "You are not of us, die". Some religions shun family members who have split from the religion (ostracize, cut off, "you are dead to me" sort of shunning).

More tolerant religions or inclusive philosophy systems have trouble figuring out how to respond to such aggressiveness (unless they have a strong secular system that can deal with the discriminatory or violent side of it as a crime).
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-10 at 14:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 01:30   Link #1547
LaceNFrills
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I am Catholic.
And I dislike people who disrespect other religions or Aithiest who try to convert the religious people. =/
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 02:09   Link #1548
EternalNeptune
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's kind of .... redundant???? Being a Protestant, by definition, means you protest the Catholic system -- you don't see the Pope as the inerrant direct line to God.
Protestantism is founded on individual connections to God, that "my way or else" isn't quite right (though you wouldn't know it sometimes from the noises some protestant evangelists make in their assertions).
Nowadays, not necessarily. "Protestant" is merely a word. Surprisingly enuf, there r certain denominations or individuals( like kathryn kuhlman) even under protestantism that believe in this so called "brotherhood" that all that matters is that u believe in God. Then ur free to believe in anything els like St. Mary, etc and it wud b alright. In my point of view(i am not dictating how others shud view this, ur entitled to ur own opinion), pipol giv in to this illusion that its alright which is where some protestants stand. Dont get me wrong tho. Im not trying to lead a crusade.
EternalNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 03:03   Link #1549
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I am Catholic. And I dislike people who disrespect other religions or Aithiest who try to convert the religious people. =/

Anglican Church debates conversion rules
Quote:
Canterbury, Britain (Feb 11): The General Synod of the Church of England is to discuss a motion calling on it to recognise explicitly its aim of converting people to Christianity. Critics of the plan say raising the issue will simply serve to damage the Church's relations with members of other religions, including Muslims.

However, there is strong backing for the controversial proposal.

The motion calls for bishops to give extra training and encouragement to clergy to evangelise non-Christians. But the motives of Mr Paul Eddy, the traditionalist synod member who tabled the motion, are not limited simply to winning potential converts among the Muslim, Hindu or other communities who might be susceptible to the Christian message.

His motion goes right to the heart of the central division between liberal and traditionalist Anglicans.

- BBC NEWS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 04:02   Link #1550
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Not seeking for converts that's surely super-PC and super unoffensive. However, for a religion that understands itself as universal (i.e. isn't closed for "humans born wrong" anyway) seeking for converts is as naturally as seeking voters for a party. When the British Labour party holds a party congress to decide if they should ask peope to vote for them or if they rather should advise Tory voters to stay with the Tories then I think its time to disband the party. Either you think you have a world view to offer or you don't.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 04:18   Link #1551
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I am Catholic.
And I dislike people who disrespect other religions or Aithiest who try to convert the religious people. =/
Do you dislike religious people that try to convert Atheists?
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 14:07   Link #1552
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
I think if you truly, sincerely believe in your religion and its not a religion that explicitly claims to be "one path among many" or something like that, then it's almost immoral to not try to convert people when you can. I mean, converting them would save their souls or make them spiritually happier or whatever your religion preaches. Choosing not to at least try to help others is like leaving people to die in the street rather than calling an ambulance. It'd be selfish.

That said, hopefully they're polite about it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 14:25   Link #1553
Katydid
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Katydid Send a message via MSN to Katydid Send a message via Skype™ to Katydid
I'm basically agnostic. I was raised Catholic, but it never really stuck with me. I just don't see how people can be so sure of beliefs without any proof. I know that is what faith is and all that, but I just figure there are so many different beliefs, how could anyone know whats right? So, I'll wait and see. Maybe there is a god, maybe there isn't, maybe there are many. Who know?
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 16:08   Link #1554
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
What if your religion states there's a limited number of places for heaven?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 17:36   Link #1555
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What if your religion states there's a limited number of places for heaven?
Then your acts of grace merely help prove your predestined superiority above other less fortunate mortals?

*cough* Calvinism *cough*

The logic is fuzzy ("You're inclined to goodness in your heart and great worldly success because God predestined you to be good and heavenly and successful") but it works, sort of.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 17:39   Link #1556
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Moe adorer.

Spoiler for ...:
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:09   Link #1557
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I am Catholic.
And I dislike people who disrespect other religions or Aithiest who try to convert the religious people. =/
As do i when the Catholic, Christians,Jehovah's Witness people knock on my door telling me i need help and this is the way i can get it.

Its very annoying and a waste of paper because i throw it in the garbage. This happens about every 2 weeks
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:14   Link #1558
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
As do i when the Catholic, Christians,Jehovah's Witness people knock on my door telling me i need help and this is the way i can get it.

Its very annoying and a waste of paper because i throw it in the garbage. This happens about every 2 weeks
o_o

It's different here, at least where my parents live and here in Paris. Because the only people who knocked to the door of my parents' house were Jehovah's followers. And it happens rarely. No Catholic or Christians ever did that.

And here in Paris, the only rare people I remember who tried to give me brochures are Jehovahs and Gedeons.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:15   Link #1559
LaceNFrills
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Do you dislike religious people that try to convert Atheists?
Honestly... no. =/ Because like.. my opinion on Athiest is that they don't care about religions because they don't really believe in it. They don't really have anything to offer and try to convert other people, while religious do have stuff to offer and convince them to join their religion. Sorry if I sound confusing, I don't know how to put it into words.

Okay for example, religious people owns garden of flowers. Each religious represent different flowers for instant, and the Atheist are the people who doesn't own a garden. The religious people try to convince others to join their garden. Do you see where I'm going..?

And I don't count the people who call themselves Atheist who "believe" in science that tries to convert religious people because that's like disrespecting their religion to me, saying that your Lord doesn't exist and that you should join us.

What I don't like though, is the religious people force other people including the Atheist to join their religion. That's different than trying to convert. =/ So yeah, Atheist that try to convert the religious groups are like disrespecting their religions to me that's why I dislike it. I hope that answer your question. Once again, I'm sorry if I don't make much sense. xD

And another point I would like to make is that even though I am Catholic I don't diss the Atheist people, as long as they don't keep telling me how God doesn't exist and stuff. I respect their opinion so they should do the same.
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 18:22   Link #1560
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
o_o

It's different here, at least where my parents live and here in Paris. Because the only people who knocked to the door of my parents' house were Jehovah's followers. And it happens rarely. No Catholic or Christians ever did that.

And here in Paris, the only rare people I remember who tried to give me brochures are Jehovahs and Gedeons.
Its a bit weird for my condition because the front door needs a key and i don't know how they are getting in, maybe they have a key or something @.@

Quote:
Honestly... no. =/ Because like.. my opinion on Athiest is that they don't care about religions because they don't really believe in it.
Okay, lets say it was an Atheist knocking on your door trying to convert you to their religion would you not be annoyed?
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.