AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-15, 12:46   Link #21
Scorrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
I echo the people that have mentioned Haibane Renmei already. It was the first anime that made me really consider my place in the universe--my reason for existence and the needs and hardships of the human state. Most anime is anime to me--I don't compare to other types of media, but Haibane Renmei is something else entirely, it has meaning and impact that transcends anime is amazing when compared to other forms of culture. Maybe it is because it deals with such issues as loss, death, redemption, hope...without the endless magical girls, harems, punk kids wielding swords and the normal cliches--instead we are left with an artist's vision and it is hard to walk away without being changed a bit by it.

If I had to say there was something else, I would again echo what has already been said--Makoto Shinkai is a brilliant director and "Voice of a Distant Star" is nothing short of amazing. In the short, short span of 30 minutes, there's more plot than most shows can have in seasons, better character development, and the way the camera uses unique and interesting angles is nothing short of breath-taking. I hate to gush about anything, but it completely changed my mind ovas. The fact that I can still have intelligent converstation with others about it, even years afterwards, makes me liken it to a great book and its bittersweet message is still poignant today.
Spoiler for spoiler for the ending:
I watched Voices of a Distant Star yesterday and agree wholeheartedly. It was very well done. I've already seen 5cm per second so I just need to see The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I like his work because they are realistically optimistic, they don't sugarcoat the issue of love and being separated but they still have that atmosphere of hope and optimism that maybe someday they can be back together.
Old 2009-02-15, 12:47   Link #22
foreverdissevered
Endless Entity

Elfen Lied forever.

Kouta.. Especially Kouta. Had an important impact on me.

Edit:

And Air TV ;-;

Last edited by foreverdissevered; 2009-02-15 at 13:27.
Old 2009-02-15, 13:04   Link #23
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

Another anime that had a profound effect on me (besides Haibane Renmei) was Millennium Actress. I'm surprised how few people have seen it. It taught me that true love transcends everything.
Old 2009-02-16, 08:51   Link #24
itisjustme

The recent Welcome to the NHK fits the bill perfectly, made me wonder if I was starting to present some of the main character's symptoms as well, because after leaving my last job I was starting to take it too easy, starting to spend more time at the computer, sometimes too lazy to go out socializing, sleeping more/waking too late etc. Made me look for a new job harder.
Old 2009-02-16, 09:22   Link #25
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Yes, how I could forget NHK? It had a really great impact on me, it made me... know myself. Or what.

Also, Air had a great impact on me, improved my storytelling (I want to be a writer), and some tells me that I just like Yukito; and if I think about that I saw Air when I was 15 years old, I think it had such an impact on me, that I basically "imported" that guy's personality. (Just how my cousin "imported" Rena's personality from Higurashi when she was young... I afraid of her sometimes...)
Old 2009-02-16, 23:55   Link #26
Tier3

End of Evangelion (movie)

The question of loneliness, and his choice of becoming one or not... And more.

No matter how many times I watch it, I learn something new.
Old 2009-02-17, 01:12   Link #27
nj21
萌え...

Perhaps Genshiken...

And of course Serial Experiments Lain.
Old 2009-02-17, 15:14   Link #28
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaChaz View Post
Another anime that had a profound effect on me (besides Haibane Renmei) was Millennium Actress. I'm surprised how few people have seen it. It taught me that true love transcends everything.
I have seen it and liked it, it is just that the life Chiyoko lived was a perfect example for me of how you can waste your life following phantoms/illusions. It was very tragic, not because she couldn't meet the painter again, but because she closed herself to others in the real world while searching/longing for him and in the end was alone remained alone for all her life.
Closed Thread