AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-02-23, 01:55   Link #21
Matt122005
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where I am, what more do you need to know?
Yes, Yes! GOSICK is a BRILLIANTLY AMAZING light novel series! YOU MUST ORDER IT!

It's beyond cool. One of my favorite series. It's released by TokyoPop, and only one volume has been released by them so far. But luckily, like Kino no Tabi, the volume has an end to its story, so its great just reading the first book.

So yea, I recommend everyone buy GOSICK, it even had one of TokyoPop's better cover choices. And the book is so worth it. So yea, any light novel fan should truly buy this book. If its not in stock at your bookstore, ask someone there at the bookstore to special order it. It's truly a MUST READ.

-Matt

PS. Someone said that there wasn't enough discussions to warrant a sub-forum just for light novels. But if you havent noticed, right now, pracitacally the entire first page is full of um. ^_^

Please make use of them and post in them. We need to make light novel topics active discussions.

Last edited by Matt122005; 2009-02-23 at 02:39.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:53   Link #22
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Ah lol here did the theard go.

Or was it allways here? However, nice, that i found this theard again.

Thanks for the recommendation of "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai".

BTW, are there are some interesting information, if someone will fantranslate it? Or is this light novel already licensed? I would love to start reading this novel.
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 08:59   Link #23
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Yes, Yes! GOSICK is a BRILLIANTLY AMAZING light novel series! YOU MUST ORDER IT!

It's beyond cool. One of my favorite series. It's released by TokyoPop, and only one volume has been released by them so far. But luckily, like Kino no Tabi, the volume has an end to its story, so its great just reading the first book.

So yea, I recommend everyone buy GOSICK, it even had one of TokyoPop's better cover choices. And the book is so worth it. So yea, any light novel fan should truly buy this book. If its not in stock at your bookstore, ask someone there at the bookstore to special order it. It's truly a MUST READ.

-Matt

PS. Someone said that there wasn't enough discussions to warrant a sub-forum just for light novels. But if you havent noticed, right now, pracitacally the entire first page is full of um. ^_^

Please make use of them and post in them. We need to make light novel topics active discussions.
Is Gosick still being released? or has it been canceled by Tokyopop?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 21:44   Link #24
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
I agree with what has been said above.

If teachers and librarians were explained about what Light Novels were, then they would LOVE them and actually PROMOTE them. Think about it. Most teachers and Librarians are NOT HAPPY ABOUT MANGA. They want their kids READING REAL NOVELS. If companies were to make educational materials and send them to Teachers and Librarians explaining how they could get their teens or kids to read books that had a manga theme, but were actually novels. They'd be all over it!
...what general school level of teachers and librarians are we talking about? Not to burst your bubble, but I find it very difficult to compare the reading levels of light novels with the actual English novels teachers and librarians are referring to. Might work fine as a foreign language study supplement if in Japanese (or in rarer and far-in-between cases, Chinese), but beyond elementary school, this doesn't seem like a very liable argument.

Quote:
And as for average readers that are adults, how do you market light novels to them? By marketing it as an easy to read alternative for the busy worker of today. Tell them that they should read a Light Novel because you can read it in a day (which means if they read a chapter per day, they could read it with almost no sweating in a week). And ofcourse advertise it as cutting edge fiction with storylines that have not been seen in the WEST before and are imaginative and will capture the readers imagination.
I think you're really underestimating English literature, not to mention making a little bit of an empty point, since there's probably just as much "cutting edge fiction with storylines that have not been seen in the EAST before". While I'm not here to start a culture war (at least, not a full-blown culture war), I'd like to know what you define as "average readers", because if they really are "average readers", I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be concerned about distinguishing between novels they can finish in a day (that might actually put them off for short content) and novels they can finish intermittently in a week.

Quote:
And on another note, they also need to go onto TV. Sure they can't afford a commercial yet, but they could certainly schedule an appearance on Opera or another talk show where they could discuss their Light Novels and make millions of people suddenly aware (they'd better get a guy who is a good talker to do it though).
Not so fast. The manga and anime culture is still in the phase of settling down in the states, and while the general public is starting to recognize it (there was even a recommendation for the manga series "Monster" in the TIMES magazine, no less!), it's probably not a good idea to drop a new Japanese culture bomb in the general public beyond the close-knit anime/manga/japanese community.


Basically, while I like reading light novels too, it seems like you want nothing less than a complete cultural immersion, and that's a little bit much for me to stomach.
Yaluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 22:20   Link #25
Matt122005
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where I am, what more do you need to know?
Quote:
...what general school level of teachers and librarians are we talking about? Not to burst your bubble, but I find it very difficult to compare the reading levels of light novels with the actual English novels teachers and librarians are referring to. Might work fine as a foreign language study supplement if in Japanese (or in rarer and far-in-between cases, Chinese), but beyond elementary school, this doesn't seem like a very liable argument.
Um, guess what. Newsflash, in case your not aware, teens dont like to read. And teachers, are even giving into Manga to get their teens to read. Heck, I met a teacher in barnes and noble who was buying manga cause she feared it was the only way to get her highschool teens to read anything at all.

Teachers and librarians however do not like manga (the majoirty that is), they want teens reading NOVELS.

And the "actual english novels teachers use", are not inspiring teens to read, in fact, the majority I speak with, HATE reading because of what they are reading in school. None of it appeals to them, and thus the books in schools are failing our teens horribly.

So which is better, for a teen to read a "class novel" that only makes them hate reading, or read a light novel which might actually help them discover that reading is FUN?

Elementary schools are not my conscern. Elementary kids can read and learn to like it fine in school, the problem is when they become teens in highschool, they don't care about reading anymore. LIGHT NOVELS are the key to fixing this, as many of the stories are designed to appeal to teenagers.

Quote:
I think you're really underestimating English literature, not to mention making a little bit of an empty point, since there's probably just as much "cutting edge fiction with storylines that have not been seen in the EAST before". While I'm not here to start a culture war (at least, not a full-blown culture war), I'd like to know what you define as "average readers", because if they really are "average readers", I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be concerned about distinguishing between novels they can finish in a day (that might actually put them off for short content) and novels they can finish intermittently in a week.
Sorry, by Average reader I meant "people who hardly read at all". lol

Um, look, if you think the majority of american novels coming out are cutting edge, or are truly imaginitive and creative, and aren't just re-hashed cliche's, then fine, you can believe whatever you want. But the overwelming majority of americans agree, novels in america today are not worth their time reading. They are too long, and they are not anything usually but the same old stories told differenty. Over 50% of americans dont read a single book in a year!

Obviously, a reader who is a very active reader will be interested by Light Novels as simply "new fiction from overseas authors".

But for the over 50% that dont read even a single book (whether fiction or not), they can be marketed on the "shortness" factor, and they will be loved because of it.

Most people would love to be able to brag and sound like a smarty pants by saying "I read a novel a week. ^_^" to their friends, etc.

Light Novels offer the perfect solution to illiteracy in america by appealing to both teens and busy adults who can barely get through the first quarter of a normal size novel.

On another note, Light Novels are really on average about 50,000 words. So in essance, they arent for the most part THAT SHORT. We have novels today in america that have become HUGE successes that were only 50,000 words.

It's simply that with Light Novels, thats a selling point. Besides the fact that the stories are so different from the usual *cough* garbage *cough* that's put out in the majoirty of american bookstores these days. Not to say their arent a few good books every once and a blue moon.

Quote:
Not so fast. The manga and anime culture is still in the phase of settling down in the states, and while the general public is starting to recognize it (there was even a recommendation for the manga series "Monster" in the TIMES magazine, no less!), it's probably not a good idea to drop a new Japanese culture bomb in the general public beyond the close-knit anime/manga/japanese community.


Basically, while I like reading light novels too, it seems like you want nothing less than a complete cultural immersion, and that's a little bit much for me to stomach.
For goodness sake, you sound afraid. *laughs*

These are NOVELS, did ya forget that? I'm not saying to make manga or anime national, I'm simply introducing a new form of literature, which honestly isn't terribly new.

And why is it not good for people to read stories that take place in another country? There are many novels that take place in other far away countries that became such successes they had holywood movies made of them, like "The Kite Runner".

This isn't a "complete cultural immersion", sheesh. I am so glad you have no say in how light novels are marketed in america. <_<

Look, what so many people forget, is that reading is supposed to be FUN. The whole point of a novel is to ENJOY it. If the novels out are not doing that, then they have failed, and its time to introduce novels to the public that ARE fun to read.

Point is, is that you don't have to like manga or anime to read a light novel. In fact, you can hate both and love light novels.

Light Novels can and I believe WILL become the most widely sold item in the US from Japan. When will this happen? I have no idea, but eventually, at some point, I believe it will. It will just take the right person or company with the vision to do it. ^_^

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 00:36   Link #26
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Taiwan
Urgh, quote by quote arguments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Um, guess what. Newsflash, in case your not aware, teens dont like to read. And teachers, are even giving into Manga to get their teens to read. Heck, I met a teacher in barnes and noble who was buying manga cause she feared it was the only way to get her highschool teens to read anything at all.

Teachers and librarians however do not like manga (the majoirty that is), they want teens reading NOVELS.

And the "actual english novels teachers use", are not inspiring teens to read, in fact, the majority I speak with, HATE reading because of what they are reading in school. None of it appeals to them, and thus the books in schools are failing our teens horribly.

So which is better, for a teen to read a "class novel" that only makes them hate reading, or read a light novel which might actually help them discover that reading is FUN?
...You have my pity for getting stuck with either one bad English teacher after another, a school with a really bad English curriculum, or missing the point of the class entirely. Call me a nerd, but through those "class English novels", I actually grew to enjoy reading even more with better understanding of symbolism and story analysis, which, ironically, helped me enjoy reading light novels even more! (don't confuse this as me trying to get people to go out and read more though -_-;

Quote:
Elementary schools are not my conscern. Elementary kids can read and learn to like it fine in school, the problem is when they become teens in highschool, they don't care about reading anymore. LIGHT NOVELS are the key to fixing this, as many of the stories are designed to appeal to teenagers.
Generally the main point I'm disagreeing with you on. As awesome as it sounds, I don't believe light novels are the solution to getting more teens to read.

Quote:
Um, look, if you think the majority of american novels coming out are cutting edge, or are truly imaginitive and creative, and aren't just re-hashed cliche's, then fine, you can believe whatever you want. But the overwelming majority of americans agree, novels in america today are not worth their time reading. They are too long, and they are not anything usually but the same old stories told differenty. Over 50% of americans dont read a single book in a year!
Pretty big words, "overwhelming majority". Got facts to back that up? (don't say "all my classmates and friends agrees with me on this", and DEFINITELY don't say "well, if most Americans don't read, then our/their (depending on cultural standpoint) books must really suck")

And the very same argument can be thrown back at Japan too (unless this is some sort of "depreciate America's culture" to follow up with "...and that's why Japan's culture is better" argument, then I have no comment on that).

Basically, an EXTREMELY subjective argument.

Quote:
Obviously, a reader who is a very active reader will be interested by Light Novels as simply "new fiction from overseas authors".
True, not going to argue you there.

Quote:
Most people would love to be able to brag and sound like a smarty pants by saying "I read a novel a week. ^_^" to their friends, etc.

Light Novels offer the perfect solution to illiteracy in america by appealing to both teens and busy adults who can barely get through the first quarter of a normal size novel.

On another note, Light Novels are really on average about 50,000 words. So in essance, they arent for the most part THAT SHORT. We have novels today in america that have become HUGE successes that were only 50,000 words.

It's simply that with Light Novels, thats a selling point. Besides the fact that the stories are so different from the usual *cough* garbage *cough* that's put out in the majoirty of american bookstores these days. Not to say their arent a few good books every once and a blue moon.
Again, I'll agree with you as far as cultural exchanges go, but really, how many of those books you consider "garbage" have you actually picked up and read? Sure, their cover isn't as beautiful (again, highly subjective) as light novels, but hey, never judge a book by its cover

(in the case that you DO read all the books you consider garbage, then I apologize, and you can ignore that previous argument )

Quote:
For goodness sake, you sound afraid. *laughs*

These are NOVELS, did ya forget that? I'm not saying to make manga or anime national, I'm simply introducing a new form of literature, which honestly isn't terribly new.

And why is it not good for people to read stories that take place in another country? There are many novels that take place in other far away countries that became such successes they had holywood movies made of them, like "The Kite Runner".

This isn't a "complete cultural immersion", sheesh. I am so glad you have no say in how light novels are marketed in america. <_<

Look, what so many people forget, is that reading is supposed to be FUN. The whole point of a novel is to ENJOY it. If the novels out are not doing that, then they have failed, and its time to introduce novels to the public that ARE fun to read.

Point is, is that you don't have to like manga or anime to read a light novel. In fact, you can hate both and love light novels.

Light Novels can and I believe WILL become the most widely sold item in the US from Japan. When will this happen? I have no idea, but eventually, at some point, I believe it will. It will just take the right person or company with the vision to do it. ^_^

-Matt
Sorry, when you said that light novels need to get on a TV talk show like Opura or something, I was like "...huh?" o_o;;

...you REALLY have given up on English literature, haven't you? T_T (I sincerely truly weep for you)(that, or I'm mentally unstable right now . My arguments still stands though )
Yaluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 00:59   Link #27
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 25
...

I don't mind teens not reading. Natural selection at work. It will benefit me.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 01:18   Link #28
Thelastguardian
...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaluen View Post
Urgh, quote by quote arguments...
After seeing your reply, I feel compelled to say the same thing (to you and everyone else)-

Please stop using quote arguments. It breaks one's stream of thoughts into chunks that are inherently harder to connect together. I don't know why people keep on using it. Yes it makes you type easier; but all you have done is migrate the work of structuring your arguments together to your readers, which is not good. You want your readers to agree with you, not to trying to guess you are arguing.

Back to light novel. Japanese light novels are quite a different beast from its Western counterparts. The writing style, the choice of words and descriptions, everything are different.

Things that are advanced writing techniques in Japanese could be view as flaws when translated into English.

In my opinion as a former western literature reader, it pains me to say this but I hope the light novel style of writing never take holds in the western literature world. I already know a few people who threw their Harry Potter into the trash bins just from its writing style. It pains me to think what they would do to light novels .

But then again, the library I am working in has recently bought loads of manga and light novels. I suppose someone in the department see the values in them

Now that is not to say I don't want light novel to succeed XD , but there are some truly hideous (either hideous by western standard, or just plain suck) light novels out there...
__________________
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 11:14   Link #29
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Yeah I guess the marketing is to blame for the lack of penetration light novels have had into the market. But it seems like there's just not much effort being put into it. They must be convinced that it's not profitable, or beyond their capabilities to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I absolutely must recommend Gosick. You must read it!
I haven't heard of this title before. Pictures and maybe a little synopsis please.

Edit: Haha, I didn't notice there was a second page when I posted this. Umm...I think I'll stay out of the discussion for now.

Last edited by Ryuou; 2009-02-24 at 11:31.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 14:55   Link #30
asrielchase
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post


I haven't heard of this title before. Pictures and maybe a little synopsis please.

Synopsis and brief introductions to the novels can be found here

A lot of people complain that the mysteries in Gosick are too easy to solve, that they wasn't challenging enough. But despite that I personally found them very gripping, the author is very good at creating that chilling atmosphere which is very appropriate to the story's setting and genre.

By the way I love the writer's notes of Gosick. Is it bad for me to say that they're sometimes more entertaining than the novel itself?



Speaking of the wonderful Drama+Comedy+Mysteries genre...

I second Bungaku Shoujo. One of the best series that I've read. Every book is a gripping tale, you would care for the characters, and in the end you would be moved as well when they find hope in seemingly devastating situations, no matter how small that is.

One of the characteritics that sets it apart from other light novels is its references to famous literature works. Each of the book is like a dedication to one literature work. (for example Wuthering Heights for Vol.2, Phantom of the Opera for Vol.4 and some other Japanese classics too)

In some volumes the side characters can even be cast correspondingly, and the outline of the story is somewhat similar. But when told in a different point of view and with the interference of the main characters, you'd be surprised how they can be read in a new light, and it doesn't always have to spiraled down to that BAD END in the original work.

Most importantly this series has already ended cleanly and beautifully at Vol.8. No need to wait for volumes after volumes for an ending that would never come...
__________________
エル・プサイ・コングルゥ
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 15:48   Link #31
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Thanks for the info asrielchase. I may check it out sometime.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 16:52   Link #32
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
Speaking of the wonderful One of the characteritics that sets it apart from other light novels is its references to famous literature works. Each of the book is like a dedication to one literature work. (for example Wuthering Heights for Vol.2, Phantom of the Opera for Vol.4 and some other Japanese classics too)

In some volumes the side characters can even be cast correspondingly, and the outline of the story is somewhat similar. But when told in a different point of view and with the interference of the main characters, you'd be surprised how they can be read in a new light, and it doesn't always have to spiraled down to that BAD END in the original work.

Most importantly this series has already ended cleanly and beautifully at Vol.8. No need to wait for volumes after volumes for an ending that would never come...
The vol 1 is corresponding with ''人間失格 ( No longer human)'' , for vol 3 it's ''友情 ( friendship) '' vol 5 it's ''銀河鉄道の夜 ( Night on the Galactic Railroad)'' vol 6 it's ''夜叉ヶ池'' and vol 7 and 8 it's ''La porte étroite. But it's far from the only books than are referred or just named. Don't forget we still end with 2 bad ends but the 5 good ends make up easily.

Yes the serie has already endded but the author is still writting side story ( I can't tell about them because I didn't read it yet).
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 10:26   Link #33
Imagine_broken536
level 5-5=0
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulacan, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Related topic question: What is your favorite light novel (Japanese) publisher? Mine would be Dengeki Bunko 電撃文庫. I like the quality of the novels, the quality of the covers and pictures, and most of the series I like they publish.
Dengeki is the best publisher for me also. I like their presentation of the book and the selection of the story. Most of the light novels I own are from Dengeki Bunko.

I also read some Novels from MF Bunko. Some of the titles that I've read include "Hidan no Aria", "Puipui", and "Makai Yome".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Ah lol here did the theard go.

Or was it allways here? However, nice, that i found this theard again.

Thanks for the recommendation of "Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai".

BTW, are there are some interesting information, if someone will fantranslate it? Or is this light novel already licensed? I would love to start reading this novel.
No prob there dude. n_n

I haven't heard of any news about someone trying to TL for this title. I might ask my friend to try making a TL for the prologue. It might be hard for him to make a immediate TL since he already have a project. But, I'll try asking him all the same.
Imagine_broken536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 11:07   Link #34
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
The shounen light novel label Dengeki Bunko was a long time favourite of mine too of course it still is.

Dengeki Bunko is not a publisher. its a light novel label published by Ascii Media Works.

As a male I mostly read light novels from shounen light novel labels, such as:
Dengeki Bunko
Sneaker Bunko
Fujimi Fantasia Bunko
MF Bunko J
Famitsu Bunko

Well these big five light novel labels are my favourites... though I would look at other light novels from other labels if they interest me...

I heard good stuff about Gagaga Bunko's Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita light novel series, I recommend it, though I haven't read any volume of it yet... lol
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 19:46   Link #35
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Looks like Dengeki is 4/4. Not bad.

Quote:
Dengeki Bunko is not a publisher. its a light novel label published by Ascii Media Works.
Hmm...I had that relationship backwards in my head.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 03:47   Link #36
Matt122005
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where I am, what more do you need to know?
Ok, fine, no quote by quote arguing. lol

First, that's great if it helped YOU to learn to love reading. But the majority of teens in school HATE reading, with a vigor. They find it un-interesting and boring. And the only material they read, is the forced stuff at school, which only makes them continue to hate reading.

Quote:
As awesome as it sounds, I don't believe light novels are the solution to getting more teens to read.
And of-course, your free to feel that way. ^_^ So we'll just agree to disagree on this idea. But I will state, I do not believe that Light Novels are the end all cure to get ALL teens to love reading. But in my opinion, it would be able to get a large sum of teens to become active readers. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not going to get into a bunch of facts, you can google them for yourself in terms of reading statsitcs and surveys done within the US. But the majoirty of americans either "have no time to read a novel cause their busy" or "don't care to, as they find tv more interesting". Those who read books, do not think that the majoirty of books coming out are all that great either. For example, if you go into a big bookstore, and actively ask people on a survey their opinions, chances are, most have the perception that only a small number of novels that come out each year are worth someones true time reading, and the majority, aren't. But you can take this or leave it. Your choice. It's obviously not scientific. lol

As for the same argument being made in Japan. Um, parts, sure, but not totally. For one thing, a large majority of the youth of Japan read novels, as well as adults, so the statistic of 50% or the idea that the majoirty of people don't read can't be made. As for "they are too long", obviously this can not be made either, considering light novels are the exact opposite on average of being TOO LONG. But as for cliche and etc, yes, there are light novels that are simply cliche rehashing. Obviously. No matter what culture or market, there will be authors who only seem to be able to re-tell the same story cause they enjoyed it when they read it. But the point to be made, is that although there are some cliche light novels, etc, in my opinion at least half are not. Light Novel authors truly push themselves to come up with storylines that will seperate their novels from others, considering there is so much active competition within the large number of light novels published. So, in this regard, america's majority of novels in my opinion have nothing new to bring to the table (with some exceptions ofcourse) and light novels in japan actually do attempt for the most part to create innovative storylines that stretch the imagination.

Um, I won't get into the culture and such. America has alot of crap in it's culture, and Japan does have alot of positives that we don't have. But, Japan is not perfect as well, and has flaws that we don't. So its a give and take type of thing.

Lol, what do you take me for? A light novel JUNKIE? lol

I don't judge a book simply by its cover. haha (I only do that with light novels, and so far, its never proven me wrong once.)

I DO read the books, or I take time to skim through them, as well as reading the story synopsis.

Basicly, the books aren't gripping, the storys are either rehashed and cliche, and it makes me wonder, why the heck am I going to spend a week reading this crap? (or worse, I already did) <_<

Given up on english literature? ................ wow, you totally misunderstood my viewpoint. lol

I LOVE ENGLISH LITERATURE! I'm simply stating that at this point in time, it sucks for the most part (the new stuff coming out and most of the material they are having teens read in school [which I'm sure was innovative and new when it first came out, but to teens today, its not, and they need literature of their own day to enjoy which appeals to them]) and that light novels are doing what our books are not.

Look, in case you didn't know it, I'm a writer. I not only am writing several light novels, but I have also written NORMAL english literature. I appreciate both, especially since I have had the privalage of writing both. ^_^

Anyways, point is, I see light novels as the key to re-juvinating the novel industry in america, but you don't.

So, as a wise man once said, "Let's agree, to Disagree."

-Matt

Quote:
In my opinion as a former western literature reader, it pains me to say this but I hope the light novel style of writing never take holds in the western literature world. I already know a few people who threw their Harry Potter into the trash bins just from its writing style. It pains me to think what they would do to light novels
Um....those few people are a real big EXCEPTION. Considering that Harry Potter is one of the most succesful book series in history, I don't think it matters a couple people don't like the grammar.

However, I do know what you are refering to. There are some light novels that have horrible grammar and horrible writing style. But it is important to note that the POPULAR series' for the most part are not like this. You just have to realize that so many light novels are published, that within them are some very sour apples.

However, the writing styles of many light novels are very good, and some are very innovative.

For one thing, Light Novels allow a total freedom when writing. There are no rules. Basicly, your job is to simply tell the story in whatever way you wish, and ofcourse make it enjoyable to read. lol

I love the idea of short paragraphs that can go as short as a sentence, or having an entire line for a word or sound effect.

In fact, these writing styles have had a tremendous effect on my writing and possitively so. People love not reading wasted paragraphs. If all you have to say about the bird is that its beautiful, and if any more details are useless, simply have a one sentence paragraph stating the simple fact that it was beautiful and don't add 3-4 more sentences explaining what you meant. In fact, shorter paragraphs help the reading process at times, and keeps you moving onto the next sentence in my opinion.

Point is, Light Novels aren't perfect, and yes there are some really badly written ones out there, but there are also some very WELL WRITTEN one's out there, and they represent in my opinion what Light Novels truly can become.

Lol, ok, I guess this turned out to be a very long post. haha

Last edited by Matt122005; 2009-02-26 at 05:15.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 07:19   Link #37
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saitama, prefecture, Japan
Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Count me in for light novel recommendations

I would like to recommend C^3 ~CubexCursedxCurious~ to everyone.



Plot summary:

I. A tool changes its quality into negative direction if it continuously receive negative thoughts.

II. A tool that receive negative thoughts often affect the owner and the people around it.

III. In exchange for the negative effect it brings upon the people around it, it may show mysterious charm and function.

IV. At the end of receiving all the negative thoughts and grudges from men, it will obtain human qualities.

Worse - a cursed tool which could assume human form.

Quote:
One day, Yachi Haruaki received a mysterious object sent by his father from abroad; an Unbelievably heavy black box. Haruaki smelled trouble, but he left the box alone, trying to convince himself that it was none of his business. That night, he woke up to a noise coming from the living room. He peeked through the door and saw a completely naked girl--- eating rice crackers that was placed on a low table. - from baka-tsuki forums
Another series that in my opinion deserves to be turned into an anime, or at least a manga. The new volume is coming out this march...yay! XD

Titles like this makes reading not much known novels worthwhile. In fact, I'm more excited for the latest volume of C^3 than Toradora and To aru Majutsu no Index coming out on the same day.
__________________
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/harimakenji_scramble/sig_fear.jpg
ken_FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 12:27   Link #38
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaluen View Post
but really, how many of those books you consider "garbage" have you actually picked up and read? Sure, their cover isn't as beautiful (again, highly subjective) ... but hey, never judge a book by its cover
Well said. And I suppose this argument applies to every reader on earth, not only to light novel buffs or literature fans.

The fundamental storytelling/writing characteristics of "Light novel" as a category of novel is basically undefined. The only reason that you can see so many so called "light novels" in Japan is just because there are certain publishers there actively promoting their works to teenagers, and they conveniently label their lineups as "light novels".

Despite that it is being conveniently lumped with manga in this board, strictly speaking they are completely different in nature. Kagami from Lucky Star will surely give you a big whack if you claim otherwise .

You may start by checking out a few titles like "Ningen Shikkaku" or "Kokoro". The "light novel style" of covers may turn you away. But these critically acclaimed literature works, well respected locally and overseas for decades, were published well before WW2 and of course the anime and manga boom.



Basically the use of anime-style covers is just a gimmick to make the works more accessible to teenagers. It neither adds nor subtracts literature values, as your golden rule of "never judge a book by its cover" has been suggesting for centuries . Get one of the said books, peel off the covers and read the content. Your literature teacher will cry if you still say that that there is no literature value in it.

A closer example to you is possibly Sherlock Holmes. This is widely recognized as a light novel in Japan. So does this fact hurt your enjoyment of the story and make you start scanning for grammatical mistakes?

Maybe you will argue that up to this points, all the examples I have brought up are classics "packaged as" light novels. If it is the case, you may be interested in the following titles.



This is the SDF series by Hiroshi Arigawa, an award winning writer (Seiunshou 2008, long story category) whose portfolio contains a number of "ordinary novels" and "light novels". The three books above belong to the same series. The publisher initially published the first book under the Dengeki label. Later it had been found that the book was doing better in the working adults market, and the publisher eventually printed the sequels under another label catered to adults.

Another title which has been brought up earlier in this thread, GOSICK, is by Kazuki Sakuraba who has won the Naoki Sanjyuugoshou in 2007, a novel award well respected and well received in Japan. Interestingly, she has also written a number of books published both as "light novels" and "ordinary novels". The following is basically the same story published under 3 different labels. Sounds like fundamental market segmentation strategies in Marketing 101.



I would say the fine line between "ordinary novels" and "light novels", arbitrarily drawn by certain publishers, is getting more and more blurred. While in literature sense, such a line has never existed at all. Classifications like "drama," 'slice-of-life," or "mystery" can at least give a very general idea of the story. But "light novel" in itself doesn't mean anything at all, except that the story is possibly published by one of the "light novel publishers" in Japan.

Of course there are light novels of poor quality, just as you can easily find poorly written works in US or UK. But making sweeping generalizations on light novels as a whole based on your apparently limited exposure to the genre, is as intelligent as calling Shakespeare's works crap just because there are porn novels in UK. To me, Japanese literature as a whole is in no way better or worse than English literature. While the latter should not be "underestimated" as you have suggested, it is counter-productive to "holify" it and reject works from other countries just because of differences in writting styles.

Moreover, I don't think anyone of us here is advocating for burning down school libraries or kicking Shakespeare away for Haruhi. We only want publishers to better polish their marketing strategies, and possibly promote light novels as an alternative kind of leisure reading.

Classic literature fans can stick to classic literature for all they like. But for people who are mature and open-minded enough to appreciate literatures written by writers with different culture backgrounds and mindsets, they will certainly welcome a greater selection of light novels in book stores and libraries.

Also, teenagers who had their initial exposure to Japanese culture through anime/manga may be interested in deepening their understanding of Japan through light novels while having an enjoyable reading at the same time. Will teenagers who hate classic literature with a passion actually read more when more light novels are available? No one can tell with 100% accuracy. But it is certainly a market segment far from saturation with numerous opportunities. Moreover, the general consensus is that reading something regularly, classic literature or not, is better than nothing at all. Since it has been established that Japanese literature is by no means inferior to Western literature, I cannot see any harm with teenagers spending more time on light novels that they enjoy.

So anyway, just stick to your golden rule of not judge a book by its cover, be more open-minded with works that are not under Great Britannia, and scrap the anime-style covers if they disturb you .

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-02-26 at 13:34.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 14:50   Link #39
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
I fall victim to nice looking covers too. But although I look at them, I've never bought a Japanese light novel that I hadn't already seen the anime for. That's how I get exposed to the material. After I get quicker at reading though, I would like to dive further into the Japanese novel world and explore titles before they're turned into anime, and those that have no connection to anime. For both "light" and "normal" novels.

When it comes to Western literature, I fall into the category that Matt was talking about. I never liked any of the books I read during school and that's what really turned me off from reading. I used to read a lot when I was younger. The only book/series that I enjoyed was the Redwall Series by Brain Jacques though. I guess it's just that the stories don't appeal to me.

What is your guys'/girls' opinions about the quality of the translated novels that have made it over to the West? I have yet to read any, except for Baka-Tsuki's SHnY but that doesn't count, so I don't know. I ask because just bringing the novels over won't do any good if they aren't handled well.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 23:00   Link #40
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
IWhen it comes to Western literature, I fall into the category that Matt was talking about. I never liked any of the books I read during school and that's what really turned me off from reading. I used to read a lot when I was younger. The only book/series that I enjoyed was the Redwall Series by Brain Jacques though. I guess it's just that the stories don't appeal to me.
Is this anyone than had got good ( and intreresting)book to read back at school?
Honestly, I rushed to read the one they gived to be in High School for after returning to the kind of book than I usually choose to read.
They even made thing worse, by selecting only books from author of my province ( Québec, Canada). So I ended readding cheep book classed ''litterature jeunesse'' than had the only quality to ''encourage'' author form my province.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novels

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.