AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-02-28, 16:33   Link #1
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Enable Reply Notification As You Post

A lot of times I am writing a post and once I do I find two or even three new ones before mine. I often then look to reply to those and have to go back and quote, edit, reload, etc to fix my post. If the option to notify the user when someone has replied to a thread while you have written a reply could be enabled, that would be great.

If it can't be turned on then that's fine, I just wanted to propose this to make posting on this forum a little easier for people.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 16:58   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

That would be a ajax feature. I do not think this is available.

You can:
  • Type faster...
  • Preview your post before submitting, new posts will be shown bellow.
Old 2009-02-28, 17:00   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
A lot of times I am writing a post and once I do I find two or even three new ones before mine. I often then look to reply to those and have to go back and quote, edit, reload, etc to fix my post. If the option to notify the user when someone has replied to a thread while you have written a reply could be enabled, that would be great.

If it can't be turned on then that's fine, I just wanted to propose this to make posting on this forum a little easier for people.
I'm not aware that vB has such an option so if this was to be implemented it would require either a plugin to be written or that vB be requested to write the code and add the feature. Feel free to follow up on either of these yourself

Plus (if I understand what it is you are exactly requesting), it's a bit more difficult than you state. The problem is that the same situation can arise between reading a post and deciding to reply. Whille it may take several minutes to write a reply (thus allowing other posters to complete replies before you get round to hit the "Submit Reply" button) it may also take several minutes to read the post you plan to reply to thus allowing another window that replies might be made. Not sure how those would be caught.

It is also possible that for most people such a feature would be considered annoying since it would mean additional action is required to complete a post. I suspect it would be a good way for posts to be lost because now the "Submit Button" doesn't actually submit the post but might require further clicks to be made.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 17:08   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It is also possible that for most people such a feature would be considered annoying since it would mean additional action is required to complete a post. I suspect it would be a good way for posts to be lost because now the "Submit Button" doesn't actually submit the post but might require further clicks to be made.
Quote for truth... (just to take this out of the only hypothetical "it is also possible..."; yes I consider random notifications bad!)
Old 2009-02-28, 18:05   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Super annoying I'll say. >_<!

As Cats already said, hitting preview before hitting reply pretty much solves this issue altogether.
Old 2009-02-28, 18:27   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It would be incredibly annoying. Cats solution works fine, it will even catch edits if someone changes the post you just quoted.