AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-05-11, 19:29   Link #21
Amanda Li
相庭幸子

It's interesting to see other views of The Prince of Tennis, since most of my friends offline and online, myself included, adore the series to bits and pieces. But it opens my mind to other ideas about the series that I hadn't really thought about before.

Mykas, I would have to agree with you even though Echizen is one of my top five favorite characters from this series -- and that would only be for his aloof, sarcastic personality. To be honest, I find most of Echizen's matches to be quite boring because I already know that he will win no matter how tense the match might get, and I have had this feeling with just about all of his matches, especially with the vs. Fuji Yuuta and vs. Akutsu Jin match. The only person I can really think of in the entire series who really motivates Echizen into wanting to become a better player is Tezuka, and even his father once mentioned that before Seishun he really had no desire to improve his game. With his attitude of not wanting to improve because he already feels like (and with his Gary Stu tendencies, is) the best, he could have a lot of potential character development but it hasn't really seemed to have happened and probably won't. In fact, it's probably one of the few things about the series that I don't like and I have never been fond of such characters that never seem to lose and easily overcome obstacles, which is most likely the fault of watching so many episodes of Pokémon, with a main character whom I remember losing only once in the entire series (I guess I can't really be credible since I stopped watching it when the Hoenn episodes started, but I doubt he's lost since his match in the Indigo League).

As for the anime? I like the manga much, much more; I can't exactly say why, but I think it's because I find the manga to have the better storyline. I do like a few of the filler episodes (though I have never been fond of filler arcs thanks to Yuugiou! Duel Monsters) because I found them to be a nice and entertaining break from the serious storyline.

Shirota Yuu plays Tezuka Kunimitsu in the live-action film, qT_dRn. He also played Tezuka in the Yamabuki Side Match, Dream Live 2nd, Dream Live 3rd, and the Hyoutei Matches in the musicals.
Old 2007-09-14, 06:41   Link #22
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

For those of you that cares, Prince of Tennis is coming to an end.

In 11 more chapters, to be precise. I won't be missing it though.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 11:21   Link #23
aikming

that would mean kaidoh and akaya battle must end in chapter 358, the most 359. 11 chapters to go and three battles to go. Ryomah battle should take more than 2 chapters. Gee...very compact, how's Takeshi going to do that???
Old 2008-02-29, 10:20   Link #24
LCeh

So this series is finally over after 379 chapters. Looks like Takeshi Konomi will start on a new series in the middle of March in Shounen Jump. Hopefully the next one will be good, since I didn't enjoy PoT much to be honest.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 11:53   Link #25
finalnight
Supreme Commander

Nice to finally see all these long running manga from the late 90's/early 00's ending.

Prince of Tennis, Inuyasha, Hellsing, "Hopefully" Naruto.
finalnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:51   Link #26
james0246

It's over, it's finally over. Prince of Tennis, back when it originally started was a great little sports manga centered around one of the few sports I actually love :Tennis. And for most of the series, the manga-ka focused on just that, the tennis (there were often monologues devoted entirely to analyzing specific techniques and the various famous tennis players that have used them in the past).

But, as the series dragged on (or at least felt like it was dragged on) it became less about the actual tennis and more about Super Saiyjin DBZ style attacks, especially once the Nationals began. All of my love for the series was quickly drowned out by the needless power-ups that semed to be developed in mere days and the silly amount of drama between the various players. And the final matches were so needlessly complicated and ultimately boring that I simply could care less by the end. S

adly, like so many promising Shounen series before it, Prince of Tennis started out strong, but then started losing speed, until finally it completely lost itself and ended up dying fast.

Oh well, at least we still have the early chapter and volumes we can go back to.

At least my other favorite sport (Boxing) still has the great Hajime no Ippo, so I will still have a steady supply of a sports manga to fall back on .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 05:33   Link #27
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
i remember browsing a volume at the local bookstore and the first thing i saw was a guy that at every service had the ball coming back in his hand, i was like WTF, then i browsed a bit more and there was a guy that every time he hit the ball the ball would stick to the ground instead of bouncing... i put the book back in the pile and walked away.

glad to know a stupid serie has come to an end.
Old 2008-03-05, 06:00   Link #28
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I liked PoT thought. Till they got to the match in the team where Chitose is in. It just got wtf after that. It was a shame. Got rushed and failed. But I won't forget I enjoyed a big part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
i remember browsing a volume at the local bookstore and the first thing i saw was a guy that at every service had the ball coming back in his hand, i was like WTF, then i browsed a bit more and there was a guy that every time he hit the ball the ball would stick to the ground instead of bouncing... i put the book back in the pile and walked away.

glad to know a stupid serie has come to an end.
What can I say I never read PoT for the realism. It reminded me of the old school shameless shounen. And it with massive cast of cool characters. Everything felt so awesome. Like when Echizen did Tezuka's Zero-shiki drop shot. Awesome scene. xD Fuji also never felt to amaze in his singles he always beats someone hardcore. Still want to see a Tezuka vs Fuji dream match. Atleast the way they where before the Chitose match.

Geh even thought it sucked the last few volumes I will miss it. :,( Kinda like how I missed Dragon ball eventhough it was pretty medicore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalnight View Post
Nice to finally see all these long running manga from the late 90's/early 00's ending.

Prince of Tennis, Inuyasha, Hellsing, "Hopefully" Naruto.
Naruto still has a few years on it though. Especially since Kishi said this years focus is on Sasuke and Itachi. Also Kakashi will play a major role it seems.

Inuyasha is a neverending manga no? >_>

Can't w8 for Hellsing though.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 06:23   Link #29
hai_san

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
But, as the series dragged on (or at least felt like it was dragged on) it became less about the actual tennis and more about Super Saiyjin DBZ style attacks, especially once the Nationals began. All of my love for the series was quickly drowned out by the needless power-ups that semed to be developed in mere days and the silly amount of drama between the various players. And the final matches were so needlessly complicated and ultimately boring that I simply could care less by the end. S
that i can agree too, by the time they reach the national arc or even before at the kantou finals there was completely out of this world tennis techniques... i think when the anime aired with some kind of crazy techniques so does have the manga too... in the first ~7-8Volumes i can still see somekind of realistic play but afterward it was really like Saiyajin Supersaiyajin Hypersaiyajin and Megasaiyajin and so on...
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 12:25   Link #30
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanghyun1990 View Post
Chapter 195 or 197 is start of events in 118. Anyway manga is way better
Spoiler:
TOO BAD MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS OF JAPAN ARE APPARENTLY WORLD CLASS TENNIS PLAYERS >.> AS THE LAST CHAPTER WILL SHOW YOU.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 15:17   Link #31
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
TOO BAD MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS OF JAPAN ARE APPARENTLY WORLD CLASS TENNIS PLAYERS >.> AS THE LAST CHAPTER WILL SHOW YOU.
Well duh. The tennis players in the rest of the world don't have "fun" while playing. If you don't have fun while tennising how do you expect to cut a tennis bal in half?

Still <3 this series though.
Old 2008-08-25, 21:07   Link #32
imbehindyou
turn around...

Well.. the series was completed few months ago but anyways.

Honestly, I read this series because of the characters. Seigaku was the school main character played for, and obviously they won like everything. That's the part I didn't like about PoT since I like(d) Hyotei and Rikkai much more than Seigaku. I knew Hyotei and Rikkai would eventually lose, so it was pretty much silly of me to have hopes for them winning against Seigaku

The story was obviously not realistic (and pretty much WTF me is so sad because Seigaku won again) but I guess one of the reasons why I kept reading PoT was because of the ridiculous tennis skills and techniques they had! It was awesome, at some point (until they got to Muga, lol)

and this..
Spoiler for from Wikipedia; SoSA:

At the end it seemed that Takeshi Konomi just rushed to end this. I mean, I thought Yukimura was supposed to be the strongest guy (since he was one of the three demons bla bla and he was the buchou of THAT Rikkai). And I wanted some sort of after/behind story, when they went on to high school and Echizen returns or something like that.

Overall, it had memorable moments and very very very awesome characters that I simply fell in love with (like all Hyotei, Rikkai, most of Fudomine, St. Rudolph, Yamabuki, etc.).

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 01:04   Link #33
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Well duh. The tennis players in the rest of the world don't have "fun" while playing. If you don't have fun while tennising how do you expect to cut a tennis bal in half?

Still <3 this series though.
Yeah, same here, but not as much as other series. Unlike most people, I liked how he cut the tennis ball in half. It's one of those things, that while not possible at the moment, could be done if say, people were as amazing as they were romanticized in legends and history etc etc. It's not out of the world dbz, it's just rather not gonna happen.

What I didn't like were the things that were reallly reallly fake. Like the doors and what not. Auras and such. Fuji or what's his face the #2 guy in Seigaku, was probably the coolest character. Simply because he never relied on some bullshit move. Was his shots practically impossible? Of course, but that's a beautiful exaggeration, compared to just making stuff up. Specially his last shot against Rikkai, that was like "WOW LOL EVERYONE SHOULD DO THAT IN REAL TENNIS" just like if someone in basketball could shoot a 3 pointer from BEHIND the half court line with more than 50% accuracy, everyone would be like DOOOOOOOO ITTTTT.

The shots themselves never had to be reasonable, just vaguely believable.

Echizen losing never made me go ZzZzZ. If anything, I think the series ended way to half-assed. He played against too many non-factors in official matches, and the way the series ended just made all the effort building this story up into a waste. Nothing remains except the memories of cool matches. You don't get a sense of good closure.

How the story was piloted and narrated I have no problem, as it's not perfect but it was acceptable. But Fuji was clearly his rival, and even among the DBZ bullshit, Fuji was like a NON SUCKY PICCALO. He was the only guy among the elites to not have some amazing bullshit aura or whatever and still be a contender. Yet they never addressed him vs Echizen again once the Nationals started. Fuji got the syndrome of close eyed Bishi, aka Xellosed. Always a contender, yet NEVER a participant. That's fail. And let's not forget the other big player that everyone wanted to see Echizen fight, his dad. Doesn't matter how GOOD you were to beat Yukimura, without showing it, NO ONE believes at that point he could beat his dad.

T_T there's just too many gimmick characters, and the cool ones mostly had dumb flaws to them. Like Yukimura, wow did his gimmick suck. I CAN SEE THROUGH EVERYTHING. Okay, well, so you are like a super-bible player or something? I don't get it. You had nothing special to you, yet you see through EVERYTHING. OoOoO. The only thing cool about Yukimura was he DESTROYED the mountain kid without his jacket coming off. Now, if you could animate THAT, it would be awesome. Imagine some DBZ kid jumping around like a tard, and the guy just gracefully returns every shot.

The best gimmick fights were against the Vice-Captain at the first Rikkai fight, which I thought was fairly well done and had the best finish of all the matches. The way they built up the Cool Drive was epic beyond all epic. After that, everything went down hill as the moves got all too fancy and made the Cool Drive not even...cool looking anymore. I mean yeah the Samurai Drive is the best, but it was such a crappy build up. Even the drawing panels paled in comparison. The other gimmick fight was against that Ice King. The whole blind spot deal was almost believable, other than his retarded accuracy and how the other guy can't react. That and giving that move to someone who fairly doesn't seem gimp also helps.

=[ I think, POT had potential, but since it was an older generation of manga compared to some that still exists today, it never got the chance. While POT probably will last longer in chapters than ES21, ES21 to me is today's greatest sports manga bar none. It's bullshit traits are covered in a very sly way that fits mangas, and the basic strategical attribute of football makes it easier to plan out things than tennis where it's just a 1v1 or 2v2 hitting the damn ball. I think Cross Over and Ippo did the best job of making realistic bullshit though, but ES21 is the overall best. The rivals were awesome, the generic fodder was funny, the way the story progressed was very smooth, and at times, you believed deimon would lose. Not much, but it happens, cause they actually DO LOSE LOL. Oh and Hiruma is a greater protagonist support character than anyone in Seigaku, including Echizen.

>.> Of course, while animes had potential to bring sport mangas to the next level what with their ANIMATED trait, ES21/POT just had to FUBAR IT UP.
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 23:52   Link #34
Hage-bai
Banned

For those interested, POT has returned to the presses and the first issue has come out in Jump SQ (monthly).

Spoiler:
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 17:55   Link #35
Jarppa

yeah its nice to see pot back in bisness. Too bad its monthly this time.

Plot seems intresting indeed and lets see how many years this u-17 thing will last. another 10 maybe ?
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 19:21   Link #36
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

hope it lasts for a long time. i liked POt even though it was sooooooo unrealistic. that was one of the reason's i liked it. if i want some sort of realism i go to Slamdunk and HNI.

any way, read the first chapter. it was intresting. and is it just me or does Ryoma seem to have a different air about him.
Spoiler for chapter_1:
Old 2009-03-06, 10:00   Link #37
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

What, huh what new tenipuri?

Just read the new chapter. I'm just thinking can it even get more crazy then this? How do you go beyond then what happened at the nationals. :O I'm disappointed in myself for feeling excited though. xD
Old 2009-03-07, 07:16   Link #38
Rurouni

Can anyone tell me if the Prince of Tennis manga by VIZ is (heavilly) edited or not? Any censorship? After finishing the anime I'm thinking of going for the manga
Rurouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 05:11   Link #39
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Did anyone else find it hilarious at the start when Echizen was running to get the train and he used his tennis skills to delay it?
Hamchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 07:51   Link #40
Aoi Toori
Aishiteru Banzai!!

Ah finally tenipuri is back in action! so we assume they're go international now eh? pretty obvious if it's go that way. That makes me think, can konomi-sensei provide more and more god-like skill to add in this series?

Nice chapter btw