AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-05, 15:00   Link #361
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't want to make sweeping generalizations... so I'll make minor ones.

Some of the attraction of "slice of life" shows focusing on girls is, it seems, just the fascination of that mysterious stuff going on over on the other side of the room (in japanese schools, there's still the sort of separation rarely seen in the States since the 1960s). I joke that japanese pop culture runs about 25 years behind (hence the explosion of what sounds to me like 80s music in jpop, 10 yrs ago it sounded like 70s, and so on). But boy-girl relationships in Japan are seeming to approach a national crisis with the women moving through their version of the 60s while the guys stay firmly entrenched in the 50s.

Okay... that wasn't minor, those were HUGE swaths of sweeping generalizations. One shouldn't over generalize.

We've had several mono-sex school classes come visit my son's high school (one male, two female classes). Haven't had a co-ed class to anthropologically observe. The guys were fatally shy (or just opened up when they thought no one was looking). The girls were somehow simultaneously shy and giggly while in hot pursuit of guys (I think my son (half-japanese) never had less than an entourage of 3 girls when we toured the zoo). Anecdotal but seems emblematic of the worried news stories plastering japanese newspapers when they aren't in terror over a grisly crime or suicide.
Old 2007-06-09, 23:12   Link #362
Xing

Send a message via AIM to Xing Send a message via MSN to Xing
Sorry if it's been said, but what's the BGM that plays during the shell scene?
Old 2007-06-11, 23:24   Link #363
47drift
Haruhiist and Konataist

Send a message via MSN to 47drift
Oh, I absolutely loved episode 6. It's actually my favorite out of the 9 out so far. It could be because of the multiple Haruhi references and the totally kickass Initial D reference. I love Initial D. ω

Also, timotei...
Old 2007-10-10, 23:16   Link #364
CrisisDarkerXIV

Sorry to bring this up again, but the song during the Initial D parody sounds familiar.

Well, the beginning with the NOIZY guitar is, most of you might know, is Noizy Tribe by Move, which was used during the Initial D anime.

So I'm asking: "Is that song made by Move because of the identical intro?" "Is there a way I can get it? Such as a Lucky Star OST or something?"

Thanks.
Old 2007-10-15, 12:15   Link #365
Hammy
slice of life otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47drift View Post
Also, timotei...
i didnt get what Konata was referencing here at first (i had to look it up) but it was still funny--plus she was so cute there
Old 2008-04-05, 20:51   Link #366
Captain Spyro
Captain of the Dragonfury

Send a message via ICQ to Captain Spyro Send a message via AIM to Captain Spyro Send a message via MSN to Captain Spyro Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Spyro Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Spyro
I recently got into this series and my opinion matches the majority. While I have found every episode up to this point funny, episode six just has that unexplainable quality to it. While I have never seen Initial D (aside from scene in AMV Hells 3 & 4), I immediately got the reference. Can't help but think Konata'a cousin is a racer at heart.

And of course, Timotei. I first saw that scene sometime back as a single scene on a YouTube video. Having never seen the full episode at that point, I was thinking Timotei was sort of a cuteness phrase, ala Rika-chan's Ni-Pah! Ah well, at least I get the reference now.

Overall, a solid 9.5 episode.

As for Lucky Channel, I'm surprised most people seem deadset against it (or at this point, anyway. Not sure of opinions of future segments). I dunno, but I enjoy Akira and Minoru. Guess I'm Akira's #1 fan on these boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It must be interesting to watch L*S from a guy's perspective... The bath scene and photo album parts, I shrugged off like they were nothing.

(Not generalizing. Every girl is different.)
While I am of the male gender and sex (yes, there is a difference ), my mind set might be unique. After having seen the bath scene, I thought to myself "what would Bill O'Reilly say about that?"

Of course, I asked myself the same question after watching the first season of Higurashi and parts of Kodomo no Jikan.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - When the Cicadas Cry

Last edited by Captain Spyro; 2008-04-05 at 20:56. Reason: Lucky Channel
Old 2009-01-29, 00:28   Link #367
Welkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Spoiler:
Vexx, you're totally right about this. When I first read the sub I was sorta... uggh. lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

That reminds me something I learned in psychology class, girls during childhood will go through something called "penis-envy". It basically means what it sounds like, girls would wonder why they do not have a penis. I assumed that was her first time noticing something "different" about her father(male in general), so it's natural for her to start think about it and wonder why she's different from him(realizing there was seperate gender).
Old 2009-01-29, 15:52   Link #368
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutters View Post
That reminds me something I learned in psychology class, girls during childhood will go through something called "penis-envy". It basically means what it sounds like, girls would wonder why they do not have a penis.
Please allow me to contest to the fact that this is not (always) true. We might wonder about our differences, but I have never experienced "envy", and neither has any woman I've spoken to about it. Keep in mind also that this theory was invented by a man. IMO it's an egotistical thing to think about us. And when I saw boys' reactions to being kicked there as a kid, I was GLAD I didn't have one.

But yeah, the subtitles on that episode had me tilting my head for a moment too.

"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."
Old 2009-01-29, 22:06   Link #369
Welkins

You're right. In my original post I put "all girls go through..." but then realized it might not apply to all of them and changed it. I probably also should had tagged it with [theory] as well, since it might not even be correct.

Just wanted to point it out though(as a possibility), for people that was wonder why Kagami said "That's when I started wondering about dad's thing".

Then again, to add to the theory, some girls might of went through that stage at a age that was too young to remember later when they grew up.

Quote:
And when I saw boys' reactions to being kicked there as a kid, I was GLAD I didn't have one.
LOL.

Yea, sometimes it sucks having that package.

Also, I've heard that girls getting hit on their funbags is the equivalent of guys getting their jewels knocked. But you don't feel the same way about that too, do you?
Old 2009-01-30, 09:45   Link #370
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutters View Post
LOL.

Yea, sometimes it sucks having that package.

Also, I've heard that girls getting hit on their funbags is the equivalent of guys getting their jewels knocked. But you don't feel the same way about that too, do you?
It hurts a lot (when I was a kid my brother threw a toy truck at it), but I've never been doubled over gasping for breath quite like my male peers were when such a thing happened.

Kagami's a smart girl. I'm sure she realized quickly how much better it is to be a chick. >.>

"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."
Old 2009-02-03, 04:47   Link #371
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "penis envy theory" is an old Freudian psychobabble term long since debunked but it continues to haunt parlor psychology thought.
Its more like simple curiosity, followed by "did I have one"/"where's mine" and with a decent explanation (equipment is built different, yay for girls) that's the end of the topic for most girls.

Freud may have been 'first' to wrap psychology in a "science"(?) package but it was still mainly junk laced with his baggage
His stuff probably belongs more under 'literary symbolism' than science any more.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-04 at 14:04.
Old 2009-02-04, 11:25   Link #372
Amray

The sixth episode of Lucky Star is one of my favourites.
I am not sure why but, to me, it had the same atmosphere to that of the Ichigo Mashimaro episode when they go to the beach. Is it because they have trips out maybe? I think it might be, and because both casts are adorable.

I also loved the Initial D race scene and the way in which it was done. 'twas very clever.
Old 2009-03-20, 03:40   Link #373
x512dev

Send a message via AIM to x512dev
Old thread, but I have a question
Was the scene where Tsukasa was listening to the seashell and (imagining herself) underwater a reference to something?
Old 2009-03-21, 01:12   Link #374
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not to my knowledge ... just a spectacular piece of comedy. I think it was expanded from a minor joke in the manga but its been a while since I've read them.
Closed Thread