AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 25 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 263 62.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 16.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 8.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 2.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 3.31%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-28, 20:20   Link #441
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Well looking at it into it deeper, it brings up the question: "Is a tsundere a good way to describe a character? Does it have a negative or positive connotation?" It feels like to me, the way you would like this ending depends on how if you see if the word is a positive or a negative.

To me, it feels like a negative because people should be able to be open with their feelings. Taiga has gone through a very long road from beginning to end with Ryuuji there the entire time. During the arc, it felt as if that Taiga had finally come to the realization of what to do with her life. How she can mend the bonds with her family and friends and understand what she wants to do.

The way I believe that many people see the ending is how you saw Taiga in way. Taiga is a fantastic character who went through a lot and I was glad to see her change from how she was to the beginning. But while hitting Ryuuji and acting defensive is who Taiga is can we say that is a positive trait about her character?

I know this is kind of leading into character discussion, but I believe the way you see her may affect your opinion on the ending.
Old 2009-03-28, 20:29   Link #442
typhonsentra

From my perspective, "Tsundere" is just a way to describe a character type who's initially mean and harsh but opens up to people as she gets to know them and treats them "Better". Yes she's a tsundere but I look at her as a unique look at an archetype. The same goes for Ami, she fits the bitchy rival role to a T, they even develop a begrudging respect for each other over time. The difference from most other shows is that they flesh the characters out over the course of the series in order to explain and validate why they behave the way they do.
Old 2009-03-28, 22:14   Link #443
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Well looking at it into it deeper, it brings up the question: "Is a tsundere a good way to describe a character? Does it have a negative or positive connotation?" It feels like to me, the way you would like this ending depends on how if you see if the word is a positive or a negative.

To me, it feels like a negative because people should be able to be open with their feelings. Taiga has gone through a very long road from beginning to end with Ryuuji there the entire time. During the arc, it felt as if that Taiga had finally come to the realization of what to do with her life. How she can mend the bonds with her family and friends and understand what she wants to do.

The way I believe that many people see the ending is how you saw Taiga in way. Taiga is a fantastic character who went through a lot and I was glad to see her change from how she was to the beginning. But while hitting Ryuuji and acting defensive is who Taiga is can we say that is a positive trait about her character?

I know this is kind of leading into character discussion, but I believe the way you see her may affect your opinion on the ending.
I never even mentioned the word 'tsundere' in any of my replies to you, so that was never an issue. Everyone in the cast has 'flaws' to speak of, and Taiga being violent when embarassed / shocked / emotional is just how she is; not as tsundere but as Taiga Aisaka. She solved everything by being violent, episode 16 was proof of this (beating the shit out of the student council president).

This is like getting at mad Ryuji for being a typical oblivious male lead or Minorin for being the happy lucky idiot with serious mental issues. After 25 episodes you should know damn well by now how things run with everyone in this show, something like the headbutt is 100% warranted, in character, and not out of place in the slightest. If she just wrapped her arms around him and the background spouted flowers and rainbow sprinkles I would have been seriously disappointed.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-03-28, 22:41   Link #444
arkxkra
全力全開

touching episode, this is one of the best ending ever !!! (series as well) ^^.
I lol at those classmate, one shot all take out phone and sms/email, .

erm, i thought the ending will be show more futher, guess i was wrong. Taiga in the new uniform look quite cute too, but love her in the usual uniform. Finally Ryuji able to said "it" to Taiga.

look like the 2-C has another legend record in the school, so many junior know about them .

Going to miss the series, so fast end . anyway look forward to next month new anime ^^.
Old 2009-03-28, 22:56   Link #445
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I never even mentioned the word 'tsundere' in any of my replies to you, so that was never an issue. Everyone in the cast has 'flaws' to speak of, and Taiga being violent when embarassed / shocked / emotional is just how she is; not as tsundere but as Taiga Aisaka. She solved everything by being violent, episode 16 was proof of this (beating the shit out of the student council president).

This is like getting at mad Ryuji for being a typical oblivious male lead or Minorin for being the happy lucky idiot with serious mental issues. After 25 episodes you should know damn well by now how things run with everyone in this show, something like the headbutt is 100% warranted, in character, and not out of place in the slightest. If she just wrapped her arms around him and the background spouted flowers and rainbow sprinkles I would have been seriously disappointed.

:P
I don't really enjoy the idea of Taiga attacking her significant other. I don't get how it's wrong to think that. Or promote a more romantic/novel-like ending.

Do you have to accept 100% of everything that a character does to like them? There's really no reason to. We know these characters are flawed, but the way the flaws are portrayed and dealt with determine how we feel about them. And I honestly felt that with everything Taiga went though, she would of grown during the time of the separation. I still believe Taiga is great, but how she attacks people is the one thing about her I do not like.
Old 2009-03-28, 23:15   Link #446
Raiga
tl;dr

Oh liking a character is your own thing. Whether their actions are consistent and make sense is another.

I personally liked how they ended it on a lighthearted note. And it just goes to show, I guess, that Ryuuji didn't just fall in love with the caring, self-sacrificing Taiga who would do anything for her friends. He also fell in love with the quick-tempered, strong-willed Taiga who mauls luck-seekers and barks for seconds at dinner.

You know, as in, "But love that is just sweet is a little/Different from what I'm looking for."
Old 2009-03-28, 23:23   Link #447
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I don't really enjoy the idea of Taiga attacking her significant other. I don't get how it's wrong to think that. Or promote a more romantic/novel-like ending.

Do you have to accept 100% of everything that a character does to like them? There's really no reason to. We know these characters are flawed, but the way the flaws are portrayed and dealt with determine how we feel about them. And I honestly felt that with everything Taiga went though, she would of grown during the time of the separation. I still believe Taiga is great, but how she attacks people is the one thing about her I do not like.
Go ahead and don't like it, but don't rag on the show or Taiga as a character because of it.

You sound like a guidance counselor man, sheeeet.

Old 2009-03-28, 23:27   Link #448
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Gah. I wish I'd seen this weekly. However, I'm glad I got to watch the series now, then later.

I'd say, this is a more polished "version" of Zero No Tsukaima.

Definately on my Top 5 for this year.

Ryuuji + Taiga = Happiness for us all haha
Old 2009-03-28, 23:30   Link #449
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
I'd say, this is a more polished "version" of Zero No Tsukaima.
I'd say that's close to the WORST possible way to describe it, borderline irrelevant even.

Old 2009-03-28, 23:33   Link #450
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I'd say that's close to the WORST possible way to describe it, borderline irrelevant even.
Fine. It's a masterpiece compared to ZnT. The show kept popping into my head while I was watching Toradora with some of the similar traits.
Old 2009-03-28, 23:44   Link #451
Master Chibi

Toradora makes ZnT look like the dog shit you stepped in yesterday that you didn't know about until you sat down and took a good whiff around you only to find it resting their on bottom of you shoe for past four hours.

Yes, it's that bad.

Old 2009-03-28, 23:44   Link #452
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

ending was good, happy endings for all, 1 year for being seperated is kinda long O_o. Epic fail for Taiga suprising Ryuuji .
Old 2009-03-29, 00:01   Link #453
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

As for the headbutting thing, shouldn't Ryuuji be a fault too? After all, 'Mr. I'm much taller than Taiga' was leaning in at the time...

Old 2009-03-29, 00:01   Link #454
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
Fine. It's a masterpiece compared to ZnT. The show kept popping into my head while I was watching Toradora with some of the similar traits.
Like what? I'm honestly at a loss how they're similar at all outside of Kugimiya. Different setting, different characters, different tone... really the only thing similar is her playing a loli tsundere in both because Saito sure as hell isn't anything like Ryuuji.
Old 2009-03-29, 00:57   Link #455
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was about as good an ending as could reasonably be expected given that only a mental patient could choose Taiga given the options available - until the last scene in the classroom. There was a nice bittersweet tone of maturation to it until they ruined it with an anti-climactic reunion that cheapened what should have been the emotional climax, the kissing scene. And it was only fitting that Taiga ended things by physically assaulting Takasu one last time. What a charmer.
Old 2009-03-29, 01:03   Link #456
Jeiku

I just finished marathoning this series yesterday and today. In brief, I loved the series and its ending, but I'll save my thoughts for an overall rating thread.

As for episode 25, it's a nice way to wrap things up. I'm kinda wishing there was an extra episode to extend the series' resolution, which I found to be somewhat abrupt. Still, it certainly wasn't bad, but I would have liked to have seen Taiga patch up relations with her parents (if that's what she indeed went off to do before leaving), as well as everybody after Taiga reunites with Ryuuji at the end.

Ah, well. Basically, I just really want to see more of these characters.
Old 2009-03-29, 01:32   Link #457
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
I just finished marathoning this series yesterday and today. In brief, I loved the series and its ending, but I'll save my thoughts for an overall rating thread.

As for episode 25, it's a nice way to wrap things up. I'm kinda wishing there was an extra episode to extend the series' resolution, which I found to be somewhat abrupt. Still, it certainly wasn't bad, but I would have liked to have seen Taiga patch up relations with her parents (if that's what she indeed went off to do before leaving), as well as everybody after Taiga reunites with Ryuuji at the end.

Ah, well. Basically, I just really want to see more of these characters.
So do I - most of them, anyway. For all that it was obvious from day one (even without the title) where this train was headed, I still mostly enjoyed the ride. It was a show that covered very familiar ground in a pretty innovative way - I've rarely seen relationship issues dealt with in such a layered and complex manner. For me of course, the series suffered from making it's supporting characters much more interesting and likable than the leads. It just never seemed believable to me that Takasu would choose Taiga over Ami and Minorin - she's obnoxious, violent, selfish and just generally way too Kugimiya Rie for that to ever be believable for me. The character was the one element of the show that felt tired, old and done to death.

But Ami and Minorin were truly revelations - emotionally conflicted and full of surprises at every turn. There were no throwaway characters - even the Greek chorus ended up showing individual personalities that were interesting and likable. It ended up being an odd mix that way - almost as if the camera was pointed at the wrong actors a lot of the time. But it never stopped being interesting until the very last scene, which - while it's too bad it was the last one - is a pretty good performance on the whole.
Old 2009-03-29, 01:46   Link #458
Master Chibi

Wow, Ami is suddenly emotionally conflicted and full of surprises?

Really? Her 'problem' is cliche as hell buddy.

Minori was no different either, though I think she was actually mentally retarded.

Seriously now, they all had personality flaws / mental dispositions we've all seen before, don't throw Taiga away into her own camp just because you (obviously) don't like her.

Old 2009-03-29, 01:51   Link #459
Jeiku

While I'm not a fan of tsundere characters, I suppose I actually benefit from not having seen any other of Rie Kugimiya's roles (aside from Shana, whom I really didn't like, and Alphonse, who's a totally different character), let alone many tsundere characters in the first place. I wouldn't say very much of the show was actually believable in a plausible sense, anyway - but I enjoyed it for what it was - the characters had dimension, and I found several genuinely heartwarming moments between Taiga and Ryuuji.

I suppose it's a matter of me not necessarily supporting the two as a couple (I'm rarely into shipping, though I do somewhat like the couple, I have to admit), so much as I love seeing the general bond between the two, whether it be romantic, friendship, or familial - especially familial. I withheld a great deal of suspension of disbelief to the show, mainly because I walked into it expecting a retarded-ass harem anime with an idiot male lead. While Toradora! ended up exceeding my extremely low expectations, it also found its way as a genuinely enjoyable series with characters I've grown attached to.

It's not the most amazing series, but for what it's worth as well as what the show set out to accomplish, I quite loved it. Despite the clichés, I don't think the show suffered from them at all.
Old 2009-03-29, 02:13   Link #460
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was about as good an ending as could reasonably be expected given that only a mental patient could choose Taiga given the options available - until the last scene in the classroom. There was a nice bittersweet tone of maturation to it until they ruined it with an anti-climactic reunion that cheapened what should have been the emotional climax, the kissing scene. And it was only fitting that Taiga ended things by physically assaulting Takasu one last time. What a charmer.
Thank you sir. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Like I said, if I got the ending I expected, I think it could of been the best episode of the series.
Closed Thread