AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-28, 14:27   Link #461
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Ah, a hedonist. I guess the world always has some room for them , provided there aren't too many.
Someone get this guy a pedestal... sheesh.
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 14:37   Link #462
TensaZangetsu72
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 2
Try the Wacky-Tabaccy( for christs sake I hope you know what I mean), it's not addictive and will mellow you out WAYYYYY more. its a SUGGESTION...
TensaZangetsu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 16:59   Link #463
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
My dad used to smoke cigars everyday until at some point he started losing his voice, he went to the doctor who told him he had to stop smoking ASAP because his vocal glands or whatever they're called started rotting away because of the smoke.

As for myself, I smoke once every month but then not cigarettes =P a joint is the only thing I'm inhaling. If smoking doesn't kill you something else will, just look at all the chemicals that's stuffed in food or fumes from traffic, if it isn't lung cancer then it will be something else.
Which is why I eat a lot of fatty foods. I hope a heart attack will get me before cancer does.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 17:03   Link #464
AceD
See You En' Tee
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: England
Age: 27
meh smoking...the most pointless way to waste money

gain nothing from it, yet lose alot...pointless
AceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 17:30   Link #465
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
People... you start out life with the universe trying to kill you. Your objective is to last as long as you can while having a fair amount of fun and happiness along the way. Leaving easy openings for the universe to kill you faster just seems a bit odd -- especially when the openings aren't even exciting, just excruciating.....

Besides, tally the money on cigarettes over a year.... what else could you have bought with that which was more fun or tasty?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 17:45   Link #466
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
People... you start out life with the universe trying to kill you. Your objective is to last as long as you can while having a fair amount of fun and happiness along the way. Leaving easy openings for the universe to kill you faster just seems a bit odd -- especially when the openings aren't even exciting, just excruciating.....

Besides, tally the money on cigarettes over a year.... what else could you have bought with that which was more fun or tasty?
I love people that actually smoke and say "Well, we're just going to die later." Because when a lot of them get really sick and end up suffering for many years, their opinions quickly change...

We all may die in this life, but that does not mean that we all suffer before our deaths. I don't really feel like potentially becoming a cancer or emphysema patient.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 18:39   Link #467
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Watching someone you like/love die of emphysema is a terrible thing.... the pain management alone is very problematic.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 23:56   Link #468
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Maybe thats why they try to die of it first.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:06   Link #469
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asia Tour
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Maybe thats why they try to die of it first.
What you say is true. It may seem weird but there are some people who purposely do smoking just to avoid life's problems. They wanna try to attain "eternal sleep".
__________________


It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 04:36   Link #470
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
I don't see how some of you are making such a big deal out of smoking. Fat people die more often than smokers, and you know how many years of chain smoking you have to do to even get cancer? Try a few decades.

Cars are the leading cause of deaths in America lets make cars illegal!!! Oh wait, we as Americans have become so heavily dependent on them that we can't imagine life without them. Unless of course we're new yorkers.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 05:03   Link #471
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I don't see how some of you are making such a big deal out of smoking. Fat people die more often than smokers, and you know how many years of chain smoking you have to do to even get cancer? Try a few decades.

Cars are the leading cause of deaths in America lets make cars illegal!!! Oh wait, we as Americans have become so heavily dependent on them that we can't imagine life without them. Unless of course we're new yorkers.
There's a pretty big difference between cars risking people's lives and cigarettes risking people's lives. Cars are tools that are useful for transportation, almost mandatory in some places. Cigarettes are drugs that aren't useful for anything but are addictive. You're comparing a "necessary evil" to an "unnecessary evil."

You do bring up an interesting point about relative danger though, which I've always thought was pretty interesting. I've always thought of it as the "shark phenomenon." Basically, everyone's afraid of sharks. We avoid beaches that are labeled as "shark-infested." But sharks are practically harmless, statistically. Cars are far more dangerous than sharks. Using a pedestrian crosswalk when the light tells you its okay to walk is far more dangerous than swimming at a shark infested beach. Domesticated dogs are far more dangerous than sharks. Heck, you're more likely to get struck by lightning on a clear day than you are to be attack by a shark while swimming. Yet we're afraid of sharks.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean that you should go around taunting sharks. Why expose yourself to more risk than you need to? I mean, it's hard to avoid walking around streets and exposing yourself to cars (or driving cars). It's extremely easy to not start smoking. As an added bonus, you get to smell nice.
Clarste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 08:04   Link #472
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
There's a pretty big difference between cars risking people's lives and cigarettes risking people's lives. Cars are tools that are useful for transportation, almost mandatory in some places. Cigarettes are drugs that aren't useful for anything but are addictive. You're comparing a "necessary evil" to an "unnecessary evil."

You do bring up an interesting point about relative danger though, which I've always thought was pretty interesting. I've always thought of it as the "shark phenomenon." Basically, everyone's afraid of sharks. We avoid beaches that are labeled as "shark-infested." But sharks are practically harmless, statistically. Cars are far more dangerous than sharks. Using a pedestrian crosswalk when the light tells you its okay to walk is far more dangerous than swimming at a shark infested beach. Domesticated dogs are far more dangerous than sharks. Heck, you're more likely to get struck by lightning on a clear day than you are to be attack by a shark while swimming. Yet we're afraid of sharks.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean that you should go around taunting sharks. Why expose yourself to more risk than you need to? I mean, it's hard to avoid walking around streets and exposing yourself to cars (or driving cars). It's extremely easy to not start smoking. As an added bonus, you get to smell nice.
The way I'm seeing it is, that its another form of racism. There are greater things to be more worried about. Ridiculing a person for a habit is stupid. Everyone has bad habits, its human nature. Go downtown on a friday/saturday night and enjoy the evils of drunken humans at work.

There are far more stupid things that you can be doing and/or are probably doing. If the person choose to smoke so be it, not your problem. But if the person gives you fat lip for making some smart allec remark then its your fault and you deserved it. In my opinion, its just as bad as going to someone and making a remark about their race, weight, etc...
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 10:53   Link #473
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
We literally don't have a choice to use a car or not.

However, everyone has a choice: to smoke and to not smoke. At the beginning, smoking does absolutely no good, just harm. So why start smoking? Fat people eat fat food because it tastes good, even for the first time they eat it, or may be their parents brought them up the wrong way. But nicotine never tastes good for the first time.

And smokers annoy non-smokers.

Of course, there are a whole lot reasons behind a smoker. But accept it, most of those reasons are stupid (peer pressure, self-image building, temporarily stress avoidance, and what not). Most of them are considered one's mistake at one point of life. If I were a smoker, and someone force me to choose between continuing to smoke, and to stop it, I would have the first choice. But to choose between Starting to smoke, and to not doing it, is a whole different thing.Banning cigarette would prevent the next generation from making the same mistake.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 12:27   Link #474
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
There's a pretty big difference between cars risking people's lives and cigarettes risking people's lives. Cars are tools that are useful for transportation, almost mandatory in some places. Cigarettes are drugs that aren't useful for anything but are addictive. You're comparing a "necessary evil" to an "unnecessary evil."

You do bring up an interesting point about relative danger though, which I've always thought was pretty interesting. I've always thought of it as the "shark phenomenon." Basically, everyone's afraid of sharks. We avoid beaches that are labeled as "shark-infested." But sharks are practically harmless, statistically. Cars are far more dangerous than sharks. Using a pedestrian crosswalk when the light tells you its okay to walk is far more dangerous than swimming at a shark infested beach. Domesticated dogs are far more dangerous than sharks. Heck, you're more likely to get struck by lightning on a clear day than you are to be attack by a shark while swimming. Yet we're afraid of sharks.
I don't think that's fair. Isn't one of the reasons there are so few shark deaths the fact we spend so little time swimming in shark infested waters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The way I'm seeing it is, that its another form of racism. There are greater things to be more worried about. Ridiculing a person for a habit is stupid. Everyone has bad habits, its human nature. Go downtown on a friday/saturday night and enjoy the evils of drunken humans at work.

There are far more stupid things that you can be doing and/or are probably doing. If the person choose to smoke so be it, not your problem.
It's my problem if he does it right next to me, the stinky bastard.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:15   Link #475
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
We literally don't have a choice to use a car or not.

However, everyone has a choice: to smoke and to not smoke. At the beginning, smoking does absolutely no good, just harm. So why start smoking? Fat people eat fat food because it tastes good, even for the first time they eat it, or may be their parents brought them up the wrong way. But nicotine never tastes good for the first time.

And smokers annoy non-smokers.

Of course, there are a whole lot reasons behind a smoker. But accept it, most of those reasons are stupid (peer pressure, self-image building, temporarily stress avoidance, and what not). Most of them are considered one's mistake at one point of life. If I were a smoker, and someone force me to choose between continuing to smoke, and to stop it, I would have the first choice. But to choose between Starting to smoke, and to not doing it, is a whole different thing.Banning cigarette would prevent the next generation from making the same mistake.
You do have a choice whether you drive or not... actually this answer variates from area to area. In NYC, Seattle, L.A., San Fransisco, Miami, Chicago etc, large metropolitan areas with excellent public transportation and great sidewalks are made for walking. In NY the majority population don't even own cars. But places like bumpkin land with no sidewalks and the nearest shop is 2 miles from your house. And the only bus you see are grey hounds, Yes cars are necessary.

Fact, there are many key ingredients in fast foods that are known to cause addictions, aka processed Glucose.

Fact, a tobacco ban won't work, look up Prohibition. See what happens when they tried to ban alcohol. Alcohol and Tobacco are in the same league. Except Alcohol is far worse.

Fact, don't assume why some start smoking. If its little shit head teenagers then yes they smoke because they wanna be cool. But if its an adult who picked up smoking, it acts like a crutch for stress. If you don't know, there are chemicals in cigarettes that actually relieve mental tension.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:50   Link #476
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
We literally don't have a choice to use a car or not.
I don't have my driving license

When you live in big cities like Paris, you don't absolutely need a car. As Hayashi said it, the public transportation is excellent. You can add the taxis, the bikes (we even have a public bikes service ), and excellent sidewalks
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:51   Link #477
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well, not everyone is like Mrs-Hummer-American-housewife. Many ppl do try to avoid buying a car if they can manage without it. But, as we all see, not everyone can.

To be sufficient with just a bike, or with public transportation is good, but...taxis? Are you kidding me? Are they that cheap at your place?

Quote:
You do have a choice whether you drive or not... actually this answer variates from area to area. In NYC, Seattle, L.A., San Fransisco, Miami, Chicago etc, large metropolitan areas with excellent public transportation and great sidewalks are made for walking. In NY the majority population don't even own cars. But places like bumpkin land with no sidewalks and the nearest shop is 2 miles from your house. And the only bus you see are grey hounds, Yes cars are necessary.

Fact, there are many key ingredients in fast foods that are known to cause addictions, aka processed Glucose.

Fact, a tobacco ban won't work, look up Prohibition. See what happens when they tried to ban alcohol. Alcohol and Tobacco are in the same league. Except Alcohol is far worse.

Fact, don't assume why some start smoking. If its little shit head teenagers then yes they smoke because they wanna be cool. But if its an adult who picked up smoking, it acts like a crutch for stress. If you don't know, there are chemicals in cigarettes that actually relieve mental tension.
Fact, I don't say a tobacco ban works or not. I say it's good if it works.

Fact, I don't say there's nothing in food that doesn't cause addiction. I say it tastes good even for the first time you eat it. You don't have to force yourself through several time to get used to good food. That way, I say it is more reasonable to try out new food compare to picking up cigarette.

Fact, I said "temporarily stress avoidance." Didn't see that? Reread it.
To me, using alcohol or tobacco to release stress are all just short-sighted thinking all together. In a sense, some "shit head" teenagers under so much peer pressure may even have a more valid reason to start smoking than the so-called "adults." So don't call them shit head so easily.

And I haven't even touched your "habit" argument. Right there, very questionable.

If you don't understand a single thing I wrote, don't talk about it. Oh wait, you did understand the "car" part.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-30 at 22:35.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 22:01   Link #478
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Well, not everyone is like Mrs-Hummer-American-housewife. Many ppl do try to avoid buying a car if they can manage without it. But, as we all see, not everyone can.

To be sufficient with just a bike is good, but...taxis? Are you kidding me? Are they really cheap at your place?
I don't know who is Mrs Hummer Anyway, I know many people here in paris who don't have a car, or don't use it. I don't see what is strange with that :\

I mainly meant taxi when you're short in time and really need to go from A to B. Anyway, here are the costs in Paris if you're interested http://www.taxi-paris.net/page36.html
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 22:12   Link #479
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Oh, okay, but I will never use taxis in my life, except for when I'm at an airport, or, when I need to send a chick home And anyone been to South East Asia? They have this "motorbike taxi" business there, which is very cheap and pretty cool

By the way, Hummer is a GM's brand of cars, often considered "monstrous," and is quite a favorite between American housewives
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 23:33   Link #480
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
@HayashiTakara

Yes, smoking is wrong, but people eating themselves to death is wrong, so smoking is OK!

Please do not commit this logical fallacy and use a better argument.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
debate

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.