AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-02, 22:47   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Things in anime that may not be acceptable in real life.

There are probably other threads like this but when I was reading TVTropes the other day especially the Bright Slap, I read somewhere that may not be acceptable in real life especially in the army. What are other things that are acceptable in anime but not real life and vice versa?
Old 2009-04-02, 23:35   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Acting as a hot blooded hero is fine in anime, but in real life that kinda attitude is considered annoying and disrespectful. Plus it's just asking for trouble.

This comic will explain why acting like Kamina or Simon won't get you anything (and is embarrassing).

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-04-03 at 00:15. Reason: Changed link.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 00:17   Link #3
4Tran

If you're going to post an image, it's a good idea to check to see if it works first. In this case, the direct link to ANN would have led to a "nosteal" image instead, which ANN thinks of as a big no-no. I've changed it to a link to the page where the image sits.
Old 2009-04-03, 00:46   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well in anime you often see the commander of a ship, submarine or starship giving orders and then the subordinate replies that it would be dangerous or something, then the commander usually replies "kawaran!". This is a sort of cliché that always makes me laugh.

I think that in the real military if someone is given an order he must execute it and shut up.

Then well it's not acceptable for girls to kick and punch boys even if they do "ecchi stuff", but that's for gag purpose, usually it's not supposed to really happen in reality, since in reality you don't recover from bloody wounds that fast.

In the U.S. it's also not acceptable for girls and boys to have sexual intercourse before 18, but in japan and many other countries the age of consent is lower. Anime often reflects this aspect.

It is not acceptable for a man to bathe with his little daughter in most western countries, but it is in Japan, this also sometimes happens in anime.

Generally speaking anime depicts a world that is more open to sexual anomalies than it really is. For example boys are not allowed to wear female school uniforms but it happens in quite a few anime.

In Japan it is not allowed to carry swords (or any kind of weapon) in public, but that doesn't prevent some anime characters to do that anyway, even if they are just high schoolers.

EDIT

Ah i forgot: It is not acceptable for minors to be in any military organization or to have any kind of leadership position in any kind of organization. You gotta love Tessa of FMP

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 00:53   Link #5
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

In the real military, if a really stupid command is given, the subordinate officers will question it, especially if it concerns soldiers' lives.
Old 2009-04-03, 01:04   Link #6
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Such vulgar levels of brutal assault depicted in anime such as one character beating another to a pulp for a gag could be considered attempted murder in real life, and therefore would not be otherwise acceptable...

Oh dear, you mean people in real life aren't that durable?
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 01:05   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Are you sure? I've always been told that in military if you are giving an order that goes against the rules you must still execute it and then file a complaint later.

Old 2009-04-03, 01:23   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
In the U.S. it's also not acceptable for girls and boys to have sexual intercourse before 18, but in japan and many other countries the age of consent is lower. Anime often reflects this aspect.
Bzzzzzt! Wrong but thanks for playing. Age-of-consent is lower than 18 in most States. Usually 16yrs but sometimes 14. Where do people get these mythical ideas about 18? Rights are doled out in chunks between 12 and 25 in the US.
Quote:
It is not acceptable for a man to bathe with his little daughter in most western countries, but it is in Japan, this also sometimes happens in anime.
Until quite recently it was JUST FINE for parents to bathe with their small children in the US. Amazing how history and custom gets lost thanks to the same people who witchhunt and erase history (sigh) leaving many younger people unaware of the past. Solving the wrong problems...

Quote:
Ah i forgot: It is not acceptable for minors to be in any military organization or to have any kind of leadership position in any kind of organization. You gotta love Tessa of FMP
Depends on the organization....
British Army - 16.5yrs
US Army - 17yrs (though they are not permitted in combat units til 18 and must get their parent's permission).

Execution of illegal orders??? No, military law (US) explicitly permits you to refuse to execute illegal orders. You'd better be sure they're illegal, of course. You, of course, will probably be removed by the officer giving the order but a courts martial will determine the officer's fate.
Now the JAPANESE military may have different procedures.... someone knowledgeable in their protocols would have to answer that.
----------

A fair amount of what we see in anime (especially school settings) is more reflective of school life 10 or 20 years ago ... because that's when the authors and writers were in school and thats what they remember. I have noticed that very recent anime is starting to update (lots of cellphones, simpler uniforms, etc).
Old 2009-04-03, 01:31   Link #9
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Bzzzzzt! Wrong but thanks for playing. Age-of-consent is lower than 18 in most States. Usually 16yrs but sometimes 14. Where do people get these mythical ideas about 18? Rights are doled out in chunks between 12 and 25 in the US.
Errr i guess it comes from movies and the infamous line "officer i swear i didn't know she wasn't 18".
Anyway there do are countries in the U.S. that put 18 as the limit, and the others are still higher than japan which is 15.

Old 2009-04-03, 12:06   Link #10
Appurukami

Whats unacceptable about bathing with your daughter? (well as long is she is under the age of 5 or 6 it seems fine with me)
Maybe its an American thing but in Europe bathing with your young daughter isnt strange at all.
Appurukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 13:17   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appurukami View Post
Whats unacceptable about bathing with your daughter? (well as long is she is under the age of 5 or 6 it seems fine with me)
Maybe its an American thing but in Europe bathing with your young daughter isnt strange at all.
Puritanical streaks and people with huge mental goblins about what other people might do drive most of it. But yeah, thanks -- because many of our young US posters think that the world uses the same protocol their neighborhood does... :P

Totoro is a great example --- a perfectly innocent bathing scene generates concerned looks with some people I discuss it with... o.O
Old 2009-04-03, 13:25   Link #12
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

That's the only Anime i've seen that actually show that, as for the rest it's only mentioned in gags where a father wants to bathe with his teenaged daughter.

anyway there are reverse situations. You never see in an anime two friends kiss each other in the cheeks, you rarely see them hugging, unless it is a very dramatic scene or the character is blatantly abnormal. In many western cultures a kiss or two on the cheeks is a way to greet a person that is very close to you (usually it's done by females or male and female, but between males is also accepted in some countries)

Old 2009-04-03, 14:04   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Errr i guess it comes from movies and the infamous line "officer i swear i didn't know she wasn't 18".
Anyway there do are countries in the U.S. that put 18 as the limit, and the others are still higher than japan which is 15.
IIRC this comes in large part because California and New York do set the age of consent at 18, and a huge amount of fiction is set in those states.

And from what I remember Japan is actually 13, not 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Puritanical streaks and people with huge mental goblins about what other people might do drive most of it. But yeah, thanks -- because many of our young US posters think that the world uses the same protocol their neighborhood does... :P

Totoro is a great example --- a perfectly innocent bathing scene generates concerned looks with some people I discuss it with... o.O
I remember my brother getting a bit hung up on the scene where Shinkurou bathes Murasaki in Kurenai as well. I think he thought they might be trying to appeal to certain demographics.

Coincidentally, Kurenai remains the only A-list show from Brain's Base in the past couple years that my anime club hasn't screened, despite my recommending it to the executive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
That's the only Anime i've seen that actually show that, as for the rest it's only mentioned in gags where a father wants to bathe with his teenaged daughter.
"Now is not the time to hesitate! Who's the one who bathed together with his little sister until she was in sixth grade?"
"How did you find out something like that?"
(If you do not recognize this exchange, then your anime watching life is incomplete.)
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 15:50   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I remember my brother getting a bit hung up on the scene where Shinkurou bathes Murasaki in Kurenai as well. I think he thought they might be trying to appeal to certain demographics.

Coincidentally, Kurenai remains the only A-list show from Brain's Base in the past couple years that my anime club hasn't screened, despite my recommending it to the executive.
It irks me that people often view that scene through "ero-loli" lenses. It says more about what people think about anime viewers and, let's face it, what anime viewers think of other anime viewers. If you're suggesting that show hasn't been screened because of the bath scenes, your executive needs to reconsider why they believe it's inappropriate. Collective eyebrow-raising doesn't cut it. (I can certainly see where an anime club might have issues with Kure-nai because of the incest theme, but not the bathing scene. It's remarkably innocent and lovely in its portrayal of the characters' rapid development into quasi-siblings.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 16:19   Link #15
Scarlett_Rain55

Tsunderes. People like that are just UNH UNH!
Scarlett_Rain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 17:13   Link #16
kyousukey

Riding on house hold animals backs, pretty sure it'd be classed as anime cruelty =D Thats why i quit riding my hamster to school =] dogs allot faster.
kyousukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:08   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It irks me that people often view that scene through "ero-loli" lenses. It says more about what people think about anime viewers and, let's face it, what anime viewers think of other anime viewers. If you're suggesting that show hasn't been screened because of the bath scenes, your executive needs to reconsider why they believe it's inappropriate. Collective eyebrow-raising doesn't cut it. (I can certainly see where an anime club might have issues with Kure-nai because of the incest theme, but not the bathing scene. It's remarkably innocent and lovely in its portrayal of the characters' rapid development into quasi-siblings.)
I'm not really being humorous when I say the scariest people are the ones who raise their eyebrows --- they're the ones with goblins in their brains.
Old 2009-04-03, 23:11   Link #18
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Are you sure? I've always been told that in military if you are giving an order that goes against the rules you must still execute it and then file a complaint later.
In times of war, try going through the chain of command. Sensible commanders will do well to think through their orders.
Old 2009-04-03, 23:22   Link #19
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
"Now is not the time to hesitate! Who's the one who bathed together with his little sister until she was in sixth grade?"
"How did you find out something like that?"
(If you do not recognize this exchange, then your anime watching life is incomplete.)
crap where is this from
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 03:56   Link #20
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, to be fair there's plenty of other reasons that it could have been rejected, starting with the fact that we've only had two openings on our screening schedule come up since I suggested it, and I doubt that the people who tend to make the decisions on what to screen have actually seen it.

However, I can also say from previous experience that at least one very influential members of the exec is rabidly anti-loli. Now, he actually is a relatively smart guy and might realize that Kurenai is a bit different than the shows he rails against, but it's far from a sure thing, particularly since I think some of his railing is a bit over the top. And he has enough pull that the chances of something he doesn't approve actually being screened are very low.

The fact I'm the one who nominated the show probably doesn't help matters, since I'm also pretty sure he thinks the fact I like some moe shows makes me a weirdo.

I definitely agree with the bit about how anime viewers see other anime viewers. I'm pretty sure that's why my brother got so worked up about the scene. Whereas my general reaction to the scene was just to go "Awwww, cute.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
crap where is this from
It's from Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu, a beautiful if somewhat confusing romance OVA that I think deserves to be far better known than it is - hence my little bracketed remark.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote