AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2009-04-02, 18:26   Link #1
EoT
~~

Utorrent: 5 downloads + = network crash?

For some reason when I'm about to go to sleep and I have around 5 downloads going or even 3 the network I am on collapses, well mainly the internet. So I have to manually reset the router/modem to make it work again.

Anyone know a solution to this?

I have a wireless router and this usually happens about 10mins after the downloads started.

Last edited by EoT; 2009-04-02 at 18:52.
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 19:03   Link #2
Justin Kim
*Artist

Possibly CPU usage overload? Isn't that kind of stressing your wireless internet after all? Because your wireless internet is loading seeds and trackers for your torrenting files - that affects your wireless internet connection. Btw, if the torrent is done loading - always remove them from your list, otherwise, the torrents will completely leech off your internet speed, and make your computer's efficiency run even slower when opening or streaming videos. Any internet application is usually effected by how much you torrent at the same time.
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 20:33   Link #3
EoT
~~

I always remove them once they have finished but I just tested it with one download and now it disconnects from just one too :|

Not sure what is going on.
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 03:01   Link #4
naoko2

i have 5 movie downloaded by utorrent and it's still fine ....no crash
but my internet speed become more lagy..damn it!
Maybe your problem is not enough harddisk space or memory (ram) Cek that..and right now utorrent have a new update.
naoko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 05:02   Link #5
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoT View Post
I always remove them once they have finished but I just tested it with one download and now it disconnects from just one too :|

Not sure what is going on.
You should check if all your ports, when torrenting are connected. I mean look at the status of your torrents by going into utorrent, and checking the systematic outlines. What I mean is, those line graphs that display just exactly how much k/b your torrenting at an affixed rate. For instance, if you see that line flatline - then yeah something is definently wrong. It needs to be a consistent rate, and also, when opening up utorrent when a torrent has been halted, expect the torrent to take some time before it can initialize the downloading process again.

Some problems I have actually had were that my IP shut down my internet entirely for 2 weeks because they figured that the massive amount of data collection that was coming into my computer was torrented stuff.

Legally, you can't really torrent things that are copyrighed, so it may be that your installed internet provider / IP will shut down after a certain tracker or seed has breached the regulatory rules for that service provider. Meaning that the wireless internet connection (if secured), will connect with the main IP service provider, hence, the computer that is routing the wireless internet connection, and begin to shut down your internet due to torrents.

I really wouldn't go to customer service for this, LOL - I don't think it will be a great idea to just ask "My internet keeps on dropping when I torrent stuff, how do I fix this?"

My suggestion is, either do a system restore, or the other thing you can try is, making a brand new account on Windows, and then setting up the wireless connection from there. Download utorrent, unless the saved files are shared for every user, and try torrenting from there on out.
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 07:31   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Consumer routers cannot manage large numbers of simultaneous TCP connections, exactly the kind of traffic that torrent clients generate. To solve this problem, try reducing the number of simultaneous connections (note, not bandwidth usage) in your torrent client until the modem remains stable. I use a value of 90 which seems to work fine with my Linksys router. Until I set a limit the router would fall over just as you describe.

This is a common problem with consumer routers. I think the more expensive "gaming" type routers have more memory and support more connections as do business-class routers.
Old 2009-04-08, 12:42   Link #7
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

To track the source of the problem, it is always a good idea to try with other clients, Vuze or Azureus for instance.

Also, one problem that I encountered is caused by outdated firmware the router was using. You can also verify that your router uses the latest firmware. Number of connections is another thing, but for 5 torrents that should not be the case, I understand 20-30 but 5 should not cause a serious problem. Also make sure that your firewall or other internet connection controlling software is not interfering with your torrent client.
Old 2009-04-09, 01:52   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Five "torrents" can easily generate dozens of "connections." Each link between you and a remote peer counts as one connection, even those that are idle. The router needs to keep an entry for each of these in its masquerading tables. Right now I have one torrent that alone is using over 60 of the 90 connections I allow via wireless.
Old 2009-04-15, 08:30   Link #9
idont

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Consumer routers cannot manage large numbers of simultaneous TCP connections, exactly the kind of traffic that torrent clients generate. To solve this problem, try reducing the number of simultaneous connections (note, not bandwidth usage) in your torrent client until the modem remains stable. I use a value of 90 which seems to work fine with my Linksys router. Until I set a limit the router would fall over just as you describe.

This is a common problem with consumer routers. I think the more expensive "gaming" type routers have more memory and support more connections as do business-class routers.
+1

what seji says is correct. If you have too many connections the router wont be able to handle it and have to be reset. The gaming routers can handle more connections but are still prone to automatic resets on occasion.
idont is offline   Reply With Quote