AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-03, 20:44   Link #2021
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
A few days ago FNC launched The FOX Nation. It's a site equivalent to Huffington. Its tagline is simple and bold...

"It's Time to Say NO to Biased Media and Say YES to Fair Play and Free Speech."

I bet that site is getting a lot of hits (mainly by huffpos?)/.
Well with people like Glenn Beck directing the "fox nation" i just think that their a bunch of conservatives who are nuts. But if your looking for a good laugh then watch glenn beck. This man is comedic gold.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 21:07   Link #2022
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Iowa Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

It appears that Iowa has made the right choice.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 21:11   Link #2023
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Well with people like Glenn Beck directing the "fox nation" i just think that their a bunch of conservatives who are nuts. But if your looking for a good laugh then watch glenn beck. This man is comedic gold.
Yep. I've seen one of his segments (road to socialism) and he's a big fat emo!
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 21:18   Link #2024
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Oh but the liberal far left are pretty nuts too. Bill maher comes to mind even though I enjoy his dry brand of comedy when hes serious about marijuana legalization and drug legalization they can be quite scary too.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 21:25   Link #2025
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Iowa Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

It appears that Iowa has made the right choice.

I see another Prop 8 style amendment otw soon for Iowa.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 22:41   Link #2026
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Maybe with the Iowa Supreme Court's decision other states follow, especially in Vermont, but I doubt it since the governor doesn't agree with same-sex marriage. Vermont has a bill legalizing same-sex marriage that has passed both houses of its legislature and now awaits the governor's promised veto. Finally, since Minnesota has introduced a same-sex marriage bill, hopefully they will do the correct thing by making that bill law.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:52   Link #2027
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
You make a good point which then prompts a question, a good one of course..

Considering that Pakistan is a subordinate of China who acquired nuclear capability from China against their arch-rival India, who is a subordinate of Russia.. How would Pakistani nuclear technology fall into the hands of the Middle East when they aren't even on the same side to start off with? Both the Muslims living in the Ugyur and the ones in the Middle East are enemies of China and thus, it makes no sense as to how the chances of Pakistani nuclear weapon falling into the hands of Islamic freedom fighters. Or perhaps, there are some complexed relation between the nations in which I haven't heard of. If that's the case, then this point shall be voided.
You are just forgetting the fact than the ''father'' of the pakistani bomb was convinced of leeking nuclear secrets to fundamentalists.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:23   Link #2028
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Oh but the liberal far left are pretty nuts too. Bill maher comes to mind even though I enjoy his dry brand of comedy when hes serious about marijuana legalization and drug legalization they can be quite scary too.
I can see an arguement for legalizing marijuana. It's of course not as safe as some advocites like to make it sound, but as drugs go it's not really bad and likely won't have any more of a disruptive effect on society than alchohol. If it's legalized, its use could be more effectively regulated as well. Also it'd be a good source of tax revenue. I'd support the legalization of marijuana as long as the laws regulating it were sensible.

Now the harder stuff like meth... People who seriously think that kind of drug should be legalized need to be shown what the side effects of that are like. If they know and still think it should be legal then I just don't know what they're thinking.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:41   Link #2029
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Oh but the liberal far left are pretty nuts too. Bill maher comes to mind even though I enjoy his dry brand of comedy when hes serious about marijuana legalization and drug legalization they can be quite scary too.
Alcoholics are far more disruptive to society than quiet pot junkies sitting on their couches. Pot merely soothes you down, alcohol has a fair chance of putting your mind in a violent state.

Quote:
Now the harder stuff like meth... People who seriously think that kind of drug should be legalized need to be shown what the side effects of that are like. If they know and still think it should be legal then I just don't know what they're thinking.
Umm, meth IS legal and it has proven medical usages. Especially when treating heroin withdrawal.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 02:10   Link #2030
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Umm, meth IS legal and it has proven medical usages. Especially when treating heroin withdrawal.
It is illegal for use as a recreational drug. Obviously I'm talking about that when I say it shouldn't be legal. Many, if not most illegal drugs have medical applications. Hell many of them were originally developed for medical use.
__________________

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2009-04-04 at 02:20.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 03:59   Link #2031
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
A few days ago FNC launched The FOX Nation. It's a site equivalent to Huffington. Its tagline is simple and bold...

"It's Time to Say NO to Biased Media and Say YES to Fair Play and Free Speech."
Shouldn't this be in the Silly/Odd thread?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:13   Link #2032
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Japan issues wrong info on N. Korean rocket launch

Is this a joke?

A UFO or more likely, a bird flies by and the military detects it as an incoming missile?!



Perhaps, the fuss is perhaps the government's idea of raising awareness of the tension. However, to me... It appears as though it was simply people slacking off and not taking it seriously. I'd laugh if the radar detects a flying object as an incoming missile while that a real incoming missile gets detected as nothing at all.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:22   Link #2033
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Japan issues wrong info on N. Korean rocket launch

Is this a joke?

A UFO or more likely, a bird flies by and the military detects it as an incoming missile?!



Perhaps, the fuss is perhaps the government's idea of raising awareness of the tension. However, to me... It appears as though it was simply people slacking off and not taking it seriously. I'd laugh if the radar detects a flying object as an incoming missile while that a real incoming missile gets detected as nothing at all.
Don't be surprised. This actually happens quite frequently during the Cold War. Vexx may be able to shine a brighter light on it.

Humans make mistakes, and technology has glitches.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:34   Link #2034
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Perhaps, the fuss is perhaps the government's idea of raising awareness of the tension. However, to me... It appears as though it was simply people slacking off and not taking it seriously. I'd laugh if the radar detects a flying object as an incoming missile while that a real incoming missile gets detected as nothing at all.
Actually, it's just the opposite of slacking off. Since tensions are high anything they track that isn't IDed quickly has a high chance of being mistaken for a missile. The radar operators are expecting a launch so an unknown track, even if it doesn't fit the profile of a missile, will likely make them think it's a launch. This is just for a missile test I might add. Think about what it must have been like for US and Russian early warning radar operators during the cold war where that unknown track could have been not just a test but the vanguard of a full scale strike by the other side. Not a job I'd want to have knowing that a single mistaken ID could set off World War 3.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 10:15   Link #2035
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
It is illegal for use as a recreational drug. Obviously I'm talking about that when I say it shouldn't be legal.
But what is exactly the issue with hard drugs? I can understand an apprehension for meth, cocaine and other stimulating drugs because it gets you in an overexcited state which can make you prone to harm your peers (even though I still don't consider it reason enough to ban it). Just because it's harmful to you is a stupid reason. There are plenty of things that are harmful to you and are perfectly legal, you know. Tobacco cigarettes, for example.

The problem here is education: Many parents avoid talking about drugs to their kids and the subject is avoided at schools. If you know exactly how harmful it can be to you, and how you can prevent falling for the drug's addiction, what harm is there in possessing it? Or even using it? Why should you be in the same position as a criminal who harms other people just because you own some coke?

Personally, I'm lucky to have had working and responsible parents who both smoke marijuana on a regular basis, and they never became some sort of monsters or anything. And I'm sure I didn't, either.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 10:19   Link #2036
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Tempting Fate. It's a trope which I think sums up why people use drugs in the first place.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 10:47   Link #2037
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
I was always taught the dangers of drugs by my school teacher , parents and even Television. Seeing the effects on drugs on people, I knew very well since i was young that drugs were dangerous and it work well since i know the dangers and i'm not foolish to try one but can't say to some know people i know.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 11:23   Link #2038
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
But what is exactly the issue with hard drugs? I can understand an apprehension for meth, cocaine and other stimulating drugs because it gets you in an overexcited state which can make you prone to harm your peers (even though I still don't consider it reason enough to ban it). Just because it's harmful to you is a stupid reason. There are plenty of things that are harmful to you and are perfectly legal, you know. Tobacco cigarettes, for example.
The fact that they not only have an effect like that, but are highly addictive as well is why they should be banned. Cigarettes have a huge impact on health and cause all kinds of disease, but a person smoking isn't impaired to that degree by the effects of the drug. That's the main difference. Honestly, I'd like to see alchohol banned, if not for the unfortunate fact that banning alchohol was attempted and simply didn't work. Since that's not practical, might as well legalize drugs with that level of side effects and distruption and lower, like marijuana.

I can understand the libertarian arguement that the government shouldn't tell people what they can put in their bodies. I just don't happen to agree with it when it comes to substances which alter someone's neurochemicals in a way to make them require more and more of the substance just to function. It kind of limits the choice element from the equation. Yes, that applies to cigarettes as well. The problem is banning them at this time isn't practical. However, I do think I'll live to see a day where they are in fact banned.

Quote:
The problem here is education: Many parents avoid talking about drugs to their kids and the subject is avoided at schools. If you know exactly how harmful it can be to you, and how you can prevent falling for the drug's addiction, what harm is there in possessing it? Or even using it? Why should you be in the same position as a criminal who harms other people just because you own some coke?
I remember a program in elementry school on drugs. The problem is it didn't really go beyond a "drugs are bad, m'kay" message. I don't know if that was typical of schools though. However, they were trying, even if it wasn't in the most effective way. As for "knowing how to prevent falling for it's addiction" they don't trick you into becoming addicted. There are measurable changes in the way the brain handles neurotransmitters in addicts. It's not something you can "prevent falling for".

Personally I disagree with tough sentences on drug posession. I never argued for them at all, so it's a bit odd you'd bring it up. I do think hard drugs should be illegal, just punished with fines and community service rather than jail time.

Quote:
Personally, I'm lucky to have had working and responsible parents who both smoke marijuana on a regular basis, and they never became some sort of monsters or anything. And I'm sure I didn't, either.
I'm in favor of legalizing marijuana... Also when did I say, or even imply that smoking pot turns people into a monster?
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 11:59   Link #2039
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Rudd ‘Disappointed’ Over Australian Defense Minister

What a shock!

No surprise to me.. It had been known for years that China's influence in foreign nations is strongest in Australia, where China can do whatever they want there. Now that the defense minister is removed, I wonder which official will be next...?
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 12:18   Link #2040
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I can understand the libertarian arguement that the government shouldn't tell people what they can put in their bodies. I just don't happen to agree with it when it comes to substances which alter someone's neurochemicals in a way to make them require more and more of the substance just to function.
Look, I'm pro-government intervention in plenty of things, but those things are usually the ones regulating actions done by individuals which harm other individuals. Doing something that harms only yourself, as long as you have full knowledge of such a harm (and that is the government's responsibility of teaching you, through public schooling) should be perfectly fine. Whether or not you are prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions is something that the government should grant, as I said, through public schooling--as long as you know what happens with your body when you consume such a substance, you are prepared to deal with the consequences.

Shouldn't we also try to ban extreme sports from your point of view? I mean, they probably kill as many people as hard drugs do, and adrenaline rushes can be considered addictive from a physiological standpoint.

PS: There is a world of difference between "addiction" and "dependency", though you seem to claim that the former implies the latter--that is definitely not true.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.