AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-08, 09:45   Link #181
Yong

I have never watched any of those Dragonball GT or Dragonball Z etc....

But will I be able to watch this if I haven't watched the old ones? Will I miss alot of story?
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 09:46   Link #182
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
But will I be able to watch this if I haven't watched the old ones? Will I miss alot of story?
Only the filler material. This is a remake which plans to miss all that out.
Old 2009-04-08, 11:31   Link #183
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah though I might reccomend for those that haven't seen DBZ to avoid the OP/ED for a while. They look great but wow they sure toss in a lot of the major moments coming up.
Old 2009-04-08, 12:33   Link #184
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah though I might reccomend for those that haven't seen DBZ to avoid the OP/ED for a while. They look great but wow they sure toss in a lot of the major moments coming up.
The OP doesn't really spoil that much. If you don't know DBZ, then you don't really know what's going on in the OP, so it's not a spoiler at all. The ED though... yeah, avoid that one.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 14:06   Link #185
Nvis
Grumpy Senior

Quote:
What was the filler material?

I watched everything btw.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 15:44   Link #186
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post

There is too much filler to list here, but I'll give you a few examples.

- Goku falling off of snake way
- Goku encountering Princess Snake
- Goku's trial of trying to hit Gregory
- Gohan transforming as a result of the full moon projection from Raditz's space pod
- Fake Planet Namek
- The Ginyu Force fighting on King Kai's planet
- The Garlic Jr. Saga
- Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive
- The other world tournament (the one where Pikkon fought Goku)
- Base Vegeto vs. Gohan Absorbed Buu
- SS2 Goku vs. Kid Buu

As for the people saying they're looking forward to the "Over 9000!!" line from Vegeta, that line is actually a mistranslation from the original japanese script. Vegeta actually says, "It's over 8000!!". So, we won't be hearing that line in Dragon Ball Kai either.
Old 2009-04-08, 16:14   Link #187
Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Filler

That should tell you just about everything.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 16:18   Link #188
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

They might translate it to "over 9000" in the english dub again though :P
Old 2009-04-08, 16:21   Link #189
Fran~
floating away...

With the subs will be enough, at least to me

OTOH, they need to find the very same voice actor for that epic line...
Old 2009-04-08, 16:50   Link #190
-Sho-
~Omedet~

Just watch the first episode :

I though they said that it'll be a remake with good design graphic etc... and in HD .
Too bad its not , they just changed the op and ed . The episode was like the old dbz .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 16:55   Link #191
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
They might translate it to "over 9000" in the english dub again though :P
Well, for me personally, I hope not. Quite frankly, I think that line became a ridiculously silly fad that's gotten way out of hand. Even fans that come for autographs have asked Chris Sabat to repeat that line for them. Asking him once is OK, but to be asked over and over again must get annoying for him.

I hope Funimation does get their hands on this project, and I don't see why they wouldn't seeing as DBZ is pretty much their biggest cash cow. The good thing is that if they do acquire this series, it will give them a chance to redeem themselves by giving us a script that is true and faithful to the original japanese version. With a good script, I won't mind listening to Frieza in English.

Here's are two of the worst dub lines for Frieza that absolutely ruin his character:

Frieza talking to Nail about the Namek warriors coming to attack him
"Well, well, well. Friends of yours I presume? I hope you boys don't plan on ganging up on me now. That wouldn't be fair. Four big strong green men against little old me?"

Frieza in response to Goku telling him he wants to fight him at his fullest
"All right, big guy. Whatever turns you on."

Those lines are just atrocious. They simply make a mockery of Frieza's character.

This is why I want an accurate script, so that we don't have to hear stupid lines like the examples I provided.
Old 2009-04-08, 17:50   Link #192
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
- Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive
It's still an amazing filler episode though.

Oh how i can't wait to see the Ginyu Force again. One of my favorite parts of the manga.

Quote:
As for the people saying they're looking forward to the "Over 9000!!" line from Vegeta, that line is actually a mistranslation from the original japanese script. Vegeta actually says, "It's over 8000!!". So, we won't be hearing that line in Dragon Ball Kai either.
Yeah. Apparently saying 8000 wouldn't work with the lip sync so they changed it.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:25   Link #193
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
It's still an amazing filler episode though.
I agree it was pretty entertaining, especially seeing my favorite character Piccolo being all serious, nervous, and embarrassed when driving. It's just that I want Dragon Ball Kai to be as close as possible to the manga, and thus not have any filler. That way, we have a version with and without filler, which would please those that dislike and like the filler material. I'm currently collecting Funimation's remastered season sets, so if I ever want to watch filler, I always have that original version of Z to watch it.

Quote:
Oh how i can't wait to see the Ginyu Force again. One of my favorite parts of the manga.
Agreed. That part is going to be pure gold since it'll be non-stop action. Seeing Recoome toying with his opponents again is going to be hilarious.

Quote:
Yeah. Apparently saying 8000 wouldn't work with the lip sync so they changed it.
I find this hard to believe since the words "eight" and "nine" are one syllable. Therefore, saying "It's over 8000!!" wouldn't have made a difference. What happened here was just bad translating.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:33   Link #194
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I agree it was pretty entertaining, especially seeing my favorite character Piccolo being all serious, nervous, and embarrassed when driving. It's just that I want Dragon Ball Kai to be as close as possible to the manga, and thus not have any filler. That way, we have a version with and without filler, which would please those that dislike and like the filler material. I'm currently collecting Funimation's remastered season sets, so if I ever want to watch filler, I always have that original version of Z to watch it.
Yeah i'm 100% with you on this. I'm one of those fans that didn't mind the added filler, though i've always wanted to see a faithful manga to anime adaptation of one of my favorite shows of the early 90s. Will admit i was disappointed that they changed the score, though after rewatched the first episode, i can live with it.

Quote:
Agreed. That part is going to be pure gold since it'll be non-stop action. Seeing Recoome toying with his opponents again is going to be hilarious.
Yeah. :3

Actually thinking about it now, i truly can't wait to see some of my favorite episodes again. It's going to be so much fun reliving all those memories yet again.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:43   Link #195
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Will admit i was disappointed that they changed the score, though after rewatched the first episode, i can live with it.
Don't worry. Have some faith in Kenji Yamamoto, because he's done some excellent music in the past and I'm sure he's not going to disappoint us here. Are you aware that he's done the music for a lot of the past Dragon Ball games? If you haven't listened to those songs, I highly recommend you take the opportunity to listen to some of his musical pieces at your leisure.

Here is one of my personal favorites. It's Super Buu's theme from Ultimate Battle 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7TEv7PaPY

Enjoy.

Quote:
Actually thinking about it now, i truly can't wait to see some of my favorite episodes again. It's going to be so much fun reliving all those memories yet again.
Indeed. So many scenes I'm looking forward to as well. Frieza ripping off Nail's arm, Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan, Piccolo vs. 17, Gohan's beam struggle against Perfect Cell, Gotenks facing off against Super Buu in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, etc. There are too many good scenes that we're all anticipating.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:51   Link #196
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Don't worry. Have some faith in Kenji Yamamoto, because he's done some excellent music in the past and I'm sure he's not going to disappoint us here. Are you aware that he's done the music for a lot of the past Dragon Ball games? If you haven't listened to those songs, I highly recommend you take the opportunity to listen to some of his musical pieces at your leisure.
Yeah i remember hearing that, though i guess i was just annoyed because i thought i was going to hear the original score. My fault, but yeah i've heard Kenji Yamamoto at work thanks to the games in the past. Also remembering the piece you just linked --- good memories.

Now i've gotta go listen to the score for Final Bout.

Quote:
Indeed. So many scenes I'm looking forward to as well. Frieza ripping off Nail's arm, Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan, Piccolo vs. 17, Gohan's beam struggle against Perfect Cell, Gotenks facing off against Super Buu in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, etc. There are too many good scenes that we're all anticipating.
Heh, just thinking about those moments has me all prepared and ready. It's going to be a fun few years with Dragonball Kai.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:17   Link #197
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Quote:
Well, for me personally, I hope not. Quite frankly, I think that line became a ridiculously silly fad that's gotten way out of hand. Even fans that come for autographs have asked Chris Sabat to repeat that line for them. Asking him once is OK, but to be asked over and over again must get annoying for him.

I hope Funimation does get their hands on this project, and I don't see why they wouldn't seeing as DBZ is pretty much their biggest cash cow. The good thing is that if they do acquire this series, it will give them a chance to redeem themselves by giving us a script that is true and faithful to the original japanese version. With a good script, I won't mind listening to Frieza in English.

Here's are two of the worst dub lines for Frieza that absolutely ruin his character:

Frieza talking to Nail about the Namek warriors coming to attack him
"Well, well, well. Friends of yours I presume? I hope you boys don't plan on ganging up on me now. That wouldn't be fair. Four big strong green men against little old me?"

Frieza in response to Goku telling him he wants to fight him at his fullest
"All right, big guy. Whatever turns you on."

Those lines are just atrocious. They simply make a mockery of Frieza's character.

This is why I want an accurate script, so that we don't have to hear stupid lines like the examples I provided.
lol I loved Freiza's lines >_<
Old 2009-04-08, 19:21   Link #198
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
lol I loved Freiza's lines >_<
Then you must have liked this one:

Frieza after ripping off Nail's arm
"Here. You might want to keep it as a back scratcher. Hahahaha! A back scratcher. Where do I come up with this stuff?"

I'll admit he did have some hilarious lines. He really seemed like a jackass in the english dub.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:23   Link #199
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

lol that's what I loved about him.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:31   Link #200
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
lol that's what I loved about him.
I've got plenty more of his lines stored in my head, if you would like me to recite them for you. In all honesty, we could keep this board in active discussion with just Frieza's lines alone. It's like, Funimation really wanted the viewers to hate him.