AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-17, 22:27   Link #21
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Personally, I think you should still go on ahead with Kanon, but well, I'm not forcing you or anything. Just an opinion.

My recommendations:
Cowboy Bebop - It starts off a bit slow, but it catches up itself nicely into an epic anime. It follows a group of bounty hunters and their adventures; it has a hint of romance, and is also tragedy. The main protagonist is a bit of a slacker, though that doesn't mean is a useless bumb, rather contrary to that.

Haibane Renmei - Though this doesn't exactly fit your description of prefered anime, I believe you'll enjoy this anime (hopefully). It focuses on group of 'Haibane' - people with angelic wings, who emerge from cacoons and have no idea who they are or where they came from, but are living a rather normal everyday life with normal people in an enclosed town. It deals with ideas of friendship, loneliness, sin, forgiveness, amoung others.

Code Geass - If you liked Death Note, I'm sure you'll like Code Geass as well. It has quite similar plot - the main character being the antagonist, very smart, and doesn't care to kill people to obtain his objective. Don't let the mecha aspect of the anime turn you down; it's focus is rather small compared to overall story. I myself personally didn't like mecha animes when I watched it, but still watched it later on through countless recomendations.

Other ones you might want to check on:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (awesome chracter driven anime)
Ah! My Goddess! (somewhat fits your preference)
Noir (anime about assassins.)
Old 2009-03-17, 23:43   Link #22
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Personally, I think you should still go on ahead with Kanon, but well, I'm not forcing you or anything. Just an opinion.

My recommendations:
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
Code Geass
Other ones you might want to check on:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (awesome chracter driven anime)
Ah! My Goddess! (somewhat fits your preference)
Noir (anime about assassins.)
=/ Kanon. Iono, it didn't seem to be going anywhere interesting and those two characters really pissed me off. Who did the fact three different girls are making random sounds like Nyuu~, Uguu~ often. I remember hating the look of Clannad when I started it, though. I guess I will probably continue with Kanon.

Cowboy Bebop is something I will probably eventually watch. I started a long time ago and never finished. Definitley interested in it.

I don't like the sound of Haibane Renmei. I actually own it, as a friend gave it to me in a stack of burned animes, but the quality is extremely low. It's all glitchy and thus unwatchable. I really thought the idea of angels smoking and such was dumb though. And in the beginning when they were questioning the first born it seemed a little lame. Who knows, I can't say I gave it a fair chance, like Kanon.

Maria-sama ga Miteru looks like it could be interesting. I didn't get much information from that site though. Do you mind telling me what the plot is? Or describe it a little? o_o

Ah! My Goddess is the first manga I ever read, hehe. I only read a few volumes but I enjoyed it. That was years ago though and I can barely remember it. Does it have a lot of typical humor? If not, it looks good.

I really like this line in the description of Noir:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniDB.net
Noir will emphasize plot and story, rather than flashy gunfight sequences and big explosions.
Generally I worry about that in action films with guns, so that is relieving. I think I'll give it a try. :3

I'm currently downloading Serial Experiments Lain. It was recommended to me by a guy I absolutely hate, because he said it is like Donnie Darko. Anyone seen it?

Also... watching Nadame Cantabile. I finished the 5th episode. I'm starting to have second thoughts about watching it, but I'll continue for now in hopes that the character with guy hair disappears.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! ^^
Old 2009-03-17, 23:50   Link #23
Nosauz

hrmm... Darker than Black is quite a good show, its done by bones, who brought you eureka 7, Fma, its pretty dark and gritty, romance is a side plot where as action is the main focus, it has many dark themes but still is very light. Also you should check out Kara no Kyoukai its really gritty a lot of moral questions, the characters are pretty interesting, the male lead is somewhat a slacker or more of the oblivious type, both are really well animated.

Last edited by Nosauz; 2009-03-18 at 00:00. Reason: lol i fail
Old 2009-03-18, 15:21   Link #24
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Quote:
I'm currently downloading Serial Experiments Lain. It was recommended to me by a guy I absolutely hate, because he said it is like Donnie Darko. Anyone seen it?
No. It is psychological but it's not like Donny Darko. It's a great series though. Definitely something you should watch.

Hearing that you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop or Noir, those should probably be next on your list. They are classics that probably everyone should see.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:23   Link #25
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Spectacular_Insanity,

Toaru Majutsu no Index seems like it's going to find a lot of comedy that I will find annoying instead of funny. =/ It's a lttle interesting but overall I don't think it's for me. Gah. Xd; Hellsing OVA isn't something I'm interested in either. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann too. I think they all are just too typical-action type animes for me. I'm not really a fan of ridiculously powerful characters in any sense, and I'm very picky when it comes to guns, mecha, etc. X:X:

For Seirei no Moribito, I dislike the idea of defeating others but swearing to never kill. It reminds me of Trigun. And again with overpowered characters. The fact that she is 30 and matured interests me though. Cause I agree it's definitely rare so I'd like to see how well it was done.

I feel bad for rejecting so many suggestions. ><; Thank you for them though, honestly.

Echoes / Telmah,

Haha, alright. Thanks for clearing that up, both of you. :3

Nosauz,

Kara no Kyoukai(that is only a movie, right?) and Darker than Black both look good to me. I like the storylines. Going to down load those.

wOoOzZy,

I remember liking Cowboy Bebop but I don't have the motivation to get started in it again. It's probably because I watched a number of episodes already. I can't remember how far I got but I'm pretty sure it was a decent chunk of the anime. I am going to download Noir though. I'm nervous I may think it's too typical but yeah. It says it emphasizes plot and story so hopefully it won't be bad, then. :3

Last edited by GuavaNectar; 2009-04-14 at 15:03.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:18   Link #26
Nosauz

kara no kyoukai is actually 7 movies five of them have been subbed so far the sixth one will be coming to dvd soon and the last one is about to hit movie theaters. With the movies they all range from 1-1.5hrs except for the fifth one with is 2hrs its pretty much a series done in movie form. Its definitely worth a watch, but if your waiting for completeness then you'll probably be waiting for a while, its something you should definetly check out.
Old 2009-03-19, 19:08   Link #27
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Try Monster.
Old 2009-03-20, 10:15   Link #28
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I guess I'll comment again about Habaine Renmei. It has been pretty much my favorite anime for years on end (though there's a recent contender). I really enjoy the disparaging symbols because if you think there's something wrong, there's a good reason for it. It's the type of venture, you either decide to watch or not watch--if you stop in the middle, you'll miss out on the experience. It goes along unhurried and the first few episodes merely create a mythos, while the later ones begin the plot.

[QUOTE]-The main character being male, especially if he is.. a slacker? Like Tomoya from Clannad.
-Realistic. Fantasy and scifi or whatever is fine, but the way the characters act and such should atleast be realistic.
-Depressing plots/moments.
-Good art, like Clannad. But that's not exactly that important. However, BAD art like.. Lupin the 3rd is just... not good enough.[/QUOTE]

Looking at what you want, I think it fails three of the four.

There's no main male characters at all. The characters do act realistic I think, its one saving grace. The plot is rather uplifting, though there a few depressing moments in the middle. Finally, the animation is blurry to give it a surreal feel, so not exactly good.

As much as I absolutely think it is one of the best anime out there, I can't suggest you actually spend your time watching it, because its not what you want.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:38   Link #29
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

The other day I saw you, Telmah, had post this:

Quote:
For years, literally the last four, Haibane Renmei has been my favorite anime. With only 13 episodes in length, its proven to be to me, the best of the best. It's slice of life more than anything else with a very light touch of humor--and confused me at first. There's no action, just talking, no magical girls or sword wielding brash youths, it involves just people. The animation is downright blurry, which gives everything a surreal feel--symbols abound most things have dual meanings. Its not in a rush either, the first half of the series is devoted to world building and introducing the characters--setting the stage so to speak. And once the stage is set, the second half is about not just understanding the characters, but understanding yourself. It is powerful and interesting to the higher functions of the brain. It deals with issues that aren't easy--nor even fun, but important none the less. The greatest reward is what you take away from it.
Despite the fact it isn't exactly what I want, and I didn't like what I saw of the first episode that much, this post made me want to watch it.
Old 2009-03-21, 04:26   Link #30
Telmah

Well, if that convinced you to give it a shot, then by all means, go for it and hopefully enjoy.

Haibane Renmei
has plenty of flaws--it can be painfully slow especially in the beginning episodes were it introduces that characters one by one. One of my friends found it terribly boring. I fought it really refreshing change from having a dozen characters thrown at us at once, most of which won't get development. The characters are much more tame than most anime--they feel like real people--more subtle and well rounded, less extreme characterizations. It takes this time to also build a mythos, to make the world seem real. For some people, that’s not why they watch anime and that‘s completely fine.

One of the reasons I admire Makoto Shinkai’s work, is because there’s a message in it. You’ve seen Voices of a Distant Star, so I’ll use that as an example.
Spoiler for Voices of a Distant Star:

Haibane Renmei also has a powerful message. But like many things in life, you won’t understand it all until the very end--that’s the point where you put it all together and the message is clear. That’s why I say it is an all or nothing venture.

On a final note, right after thinking of the poor animation I remember wondering why Reki was smoking myself. Angels don’t smoke--there’s two really conflicting symbols--angels that are associated with very positive and pure things, while cigarettes are often portrayed as negative and foul. It is indeed a puzzle piece for the watcher to consider.
Old 2009-03-21, 05:17   Link #31
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaNectar View Post
Spectacular_Insanity,

For Seirei no Moribito, I dislike the idea of defeating others but swearing to never kill. It reminds me of . And again with overpowered characters. The fact that she is 30 and Trigun matured interests me though. Cause I agree it's definitely rare so I'd like to see how well it was done.
Balsa is not really overpowered. She can and does get injured, but she's still strong. It's all about skill and experience with her, not about "power". Her swearing to never kill is a lot like Rurouni Kenshin, except for a slightly different reason which is revealed later in the series. What makes her so amazing is that she has the skills to be an effective bodyguard yet doesn't need to kill her opponents to defeat them. She either runs away or renders them unable to fight. Chagum is also an interesting character because he initially comes off as a sheltered and somewhat ignorant child (being the prince of the empire) but is actually very intelligent and matures throughout the series.

Seirei no Moribito has some of the most amazing and well-animated fight scenes I have seen in any anime, ever.
Old 2009-03-21, 18:05   Link #32
acr429

if you are not into love triangles or a lot of drama dont try nana, its a good series but is not fro everyone
Old 2009-04-14, 15:33   Link #33
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Dunno if anyone cares, but thought I'd keep up to date.

From suggestions:

Nodame Cantabile: Some of the characters were quite annoying. The animation seemed very low budget, sine often during scenes playing instruments it'd just show like.. scrolling still images and such. Overall though, I really enjoyed this anime. I liked the main guy character a lot, thought he was pretty cool. I enjoyed this a lot and doubt I would have ever found it on my own. Thank you, jedinat.

Genshiken:
I really enjoyed this. I often found the way the talked to be very realistic. I watched the english version. I will probably watch the second season for this. That is, if it ever shows up on a torrent site. :S Well if it doesn't by the time I depart for the Army, I will probably end up just buying the entire anime.

Haibane Renmei: Although in the beginning I disliked how it sounded, it ended up being a favorite of mine as well, Telmah. I wished it were longer.

Noir: I loved this anime, Nochgo. I'm surprised really since I've never been a fan of gun fights. I liked the guns a lot though. O_o I also really loved the music. The thing that pissed me off though was all the flashbacks. Way too many replaying of scenes. Now that I've finished the anime, I'm still listening to the music from it on youtube.

I have downloaded Spice and Wolf and Kanon. I think I'll watch Kanon next, since I did start it already.

Other:

Serial Experiments Lain: I thought this was okay overall. It wasn't exactly special, but worth watching atleast imo.

Downloaded Gantz so I can rewatch it.

Currently downloading .hack//Sign.
Old 2009-04-14, 18:35   Link #34
qwertyuiopz

soul eater
Old 2009-04-15, 10:16   Link #35
Telmah

I'll go out on a limb and suggest Dennou Coil. First while it has relatively simple characters designs, it has amazingly high production values--I would say as good as a Ghibli film--I read somewhere it took 10 years of development. It is a "near" future anime, which introduces virtuality reality glasses--sometimes when anime try to change reality, things become very convulted and unrealistc...that is not the case-the execution is amazing-it seems like something you could read about really happening in a magazine. Like many morality tales, it is seen through the eyes of children because their simple views on life bring about hard issues realistically. It is one of the best I've seen in the last few years.

I might add the movie The Girl Who Leapt through Time. My first impression was--what a lame starting point for a movie. Time travel isn't anything new or exciting especially when the title pretty much tells us what the plot was about. And it involves baseball--yay, sounds really boring and trite. On the urges of a friend, I ended up buying it during the firesale at Best Buy last month. I figured at half price it couldn't be that bad could it? Boy, was I taken back after watching it.

It doesn't try to be orignal--it tries to be entertaining. And it succeeds with flying colors. Basically the direction and execution could have followed the "cookie-cutter" time traveling plot, but instead we really get a treat. The charm of it isn't how the main character does the time traveling, but how she uses it--it is refreshing and funny. The first I watched it with and I would nearly get bored with a scene, and then then the plot would move forward--the pacing was pretty incredible. It was well worth the time and money to watch it, and even though it doesn't fit all of your requirements, I suggest it anyway.

While I am suggesting things that don't really fit, I might as well bring up Kure-nai. My first impressions were from the opening...and I nearly closed it down, it was so out there. Despite this, the actual show might be the only thing I've seen that rivals Haibane Renmei in overall quality. While HR is slow, Kure-nai charges forward unafraid into the plot--it has fast and furious action scenes, amazing character development, very eastern symbolism, and funny and interesting slice-of-life scenes. The ending took me back, but it really made me think too--and after awhile I came around to it, as not only being a good ending--it being the only ending that resolves the major plot points in a satisfying to the viewer way. I really started considering every scene of the show--each one builds on the plot or develops the characters...they are the most fluid characters I've seen in anime thus far. They change in discernable ways in every appearance, even if you don't understand the importance of it at the time. Looking back, I could see them really shift each other. The ending left me craving more, so I eagerly hope the rest of the manga is animated, though the ending in itself was decisive. I've liked it so much, I started writing a rather long essay about every scene and how it contributed...plus it gave me an excuse to start a rewatch.

Spoiler for Mid way plot taboo: