AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-16, 14:20   Link #2281
Doughnuts
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Age: 27
I should imagine it's fine to ask here, though you might wanna try the "advanced" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
How do I read two particles sitting next to each other?

Like "hazu" or "wazu," "niha" or "niwa," "deha" or "hewa"

Sorry I can't type Japanese here.
Chained particles are read the same as normal, so your examples, 「には」 is read as "ni wa" and 「では」 as "de wa".

「はず」 is a particle of it's own that appears after a plain verb to indicate something that should be done. It's read as "hazu".
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 15:20   Link #2282
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
I should imagine it's fine to ask here, though you might wanna try the "advanced" thread.
Sorry, I couldn't seem to find it - which one do you refer to?


(As an aside, I found an Ainu sub-board at UniLang - not bad!)
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 04:05   Link #2283
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
Where can I find a nice list/poster of the 常用漢字表?
(zyou you kanji hyou). The first result on google was OK but I'd prefer if it was numbered.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 05:48   Link #2284
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Where can I find a nice list/poster of the 常用漢字表?
(zyou you kanji hyou). The first result on google was OK but I'd prefer if it was numbered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jōyō_kanji
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 14:47   Link #2285
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
Thanks, should I treat it as a holy grail of sorts?
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 15:47   Link #2286
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
Awesome. =O I wasn't planning on using Wikipedia anymore (after all, it's an encyclopedia, not lessons) but I just might study with this.

Wish the Romaji wasn't there though. Whenever it's there I tend to spoil myself with reading it (I can't help it! My eyes are trained to drift to Roman characters) and I know I need to practice my kana at every opportunity...
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 16:25   Link #2287
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Awesome. =O I wasn't planning on using Wikipedia anymore (after all, it's an encyclopedia, not lessons) but I just might study with this.

Wish the Romaji wasn't there though. Whenever it's there I tend to spoil myself with reading it (I can't help it! My eyes are trained to drift to Roman characters) and I know I need to practice my kana at every opportunity...
I wouldn't use it to learn kanji from scratch, cause the order it uses is not the most useful for learning Japanese as a foreign language, you'll end up learning some rather obscure kanji at the start andry common ones at the end. It's ok for reviewing what you do know, however, and measuring your progress.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 11:42   Link #2288
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Sorry, I couldn't seem to find it - which one do you refer to?


(As an aside, I found an Ainu sub-board at UniLang - not bad!)
I also think it'd be better to discuss this in the advanced thread, which can be found here -
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78887

I'd be very interested in learning some things about the Ainu, especially the language. So hopefully you can drum up enough interest for a good discussion. At the least I'll try and do a little research to see what I can find.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 20:14   Link #2289
theorys
Astral Traveller
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mimizan, Landes, France
wow this thread is made of win
__________________
ame...
theorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:01   Link #2290
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I also think it'd be better to discuss this in the advanced thread, which can be found here -
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78887

I'd be very interested in learning some things about the Ainu, especially the language. So hopefully you can drum up enough interest for a good discussion. At the least I'll try and do a little research to see what I can find.
Thanks for the link - or should I say, Iyayraykere!
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 10:49   Link #2291
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Thanks for the link - or should I say, Iyayraykere!
You're welcome. And wow, that's thanks in Ainu?
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 15:17   Link #2292
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
You're welcome. And wow, that's thanks in Ainu?
Indeed it is - pretty cool, eh?
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 16:31   Link #2293
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
ごもっとも= You're quite right.

無理= unreasonable

ご無理ごもっとも = it is just like what you say

Is there some mistake in translation of the last sentence or Japanese people just love to use sarcasm....?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 17:00   Link #2294
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Think of it in the same vein as "The customer is always right." It's about the treatment, not about actually being right. In fact you may well know the other party to be completely wrong, but you still give them the right because you have to. (I'm not sure how applicable second person usage, like in your given translation, would be though. That would seem sarcastic, yes.)
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 14:43   Link #2295
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thank you.

雨がぱらぱらと降り出した

What is "と" doing there? Would it be okay to omit it?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:20   Link #2296
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Thank you.

雨がぱらぱらと降り出した

What is "と" doing there? Would it be okay to omit it?
Onomatopoeic words like that can be thought of as quotations of some sound, thus many (may) take と. It's OK to omit it in this case, but in some cases (generally with shorter words) と is customary.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 21:15   Link #2297
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thank alot. That's the first case I see onomatopoeic followed by an article though

Next:

砂糖を入れましたか?

First off, I don't study grammar .... Is that sentence in past tense? If so, why is it translated into "Do you take sugar?" ("Did" wouldn't make much sense either)
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 23:29   Link #2298
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
Bit of a tangent and I'm sure there are plenty of people who already know of this blog (it's over four years old) but I just recently discovered it and I got a huge kick out of it.

http://www.hanzismatter.com/

My favorite is still the guy with the "gaijin" tattoo.

EDIT: This one's gold
Quote:
First of all, the name Washington is usually written ワシントン [washinton] rather than ウォシントン [woshinton] as was presumably intended by the tattooist.

Next, someone left out the first ン, leaving only ウォシトン [woshiton]. Then, they used the large オ rather than the small ォ, making the tattoo actually spelled ウオシトン [uoshiton], so I guess it would be pronounced sort of like the English words "Whoa Shit On." That's probably not quite what Mr. Washington wanted when he got his tattoo...
__________________

Last edited by Raiga; 2009-04-20 at 23:53.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 04:44   Link #2299
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Thank alot. That's the first case I see onomatopoeic followed by an article though

Next:

砂糖を入れましたか?

First off, I don't study grammar .... Is that sentence in past tense? If so, why is it translated into "Do you take sugar?" ("Did" wouldn't make much sense either)
It says, "Did you add [lit. "put in"] sugar?" Not sure of the context, of course, but the meaning seems pretty straightforward...
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 11:54   Link #2300
iLney
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Well, the sentence looks like a waiter asking if his customer wants to add sugar in something? "Did" wouldn't make sense here... Or is it a polite way to put it?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hiragana

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.