AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 12:58   Link #381
Kir

Wow, this anime has lot of potentials and interesting premise. If I dare to say this, in my book, this Eden of the East is probably the best series I've seen in all year, even after watching just two episodes. The OP and ED were very creative and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, especially the stunning visual effects. The concept of using cell phones as potential weapons is certainly interesting, but what I'm more interesting is how Akira appeared in front of the White House and why he intentionally wiped his memory.

I also love the interactions between characters in this series. I'm known to be well-established sucker when it comes to series with romance genre where two peoples meet in unpredictable situation and gradually sparks an interest between each other.

I'll be glad if they keep this impressive quality and good pacing up in future episodes.
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 13:01   Link #382
typhonsentra

Big improvement over the previous episode, but.....

Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 13:55   Link #383
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

@Azure_Peregrine -- Don't you love it when a show can stimulate this kind of thinking? You're right about the ancient kings. And you probably just didn't mention it, but 11 is the number of disciples left after the betrayal of Christ by Judas Iscariot. And 22/11 was the date of the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963.

Kamiyama is clearly thinking about these things, but as you say, the question is when we should make the connection and when not.

The number of subs is blowing my mind, too. Eight different subs for episode one? The same number as FMA? More than for K-On (7) or Queen's Blade (4)? The last Noitamina show, Genji, has only one partial sub, even now. The speed and number of English subs are getting closer to those of Chinese and Korean subs.

At least in the English-speaking anime world, the idea of broadening Noitamina's appeal to the other gender seems to be working. On 2channel, the show has over 7000 posts, which isn't bad -- in the upper middle of the pack -- but FMA has 27,000 and K-On 65,000. (Mazinger 8000, Saki 24,000, Basara 8000, Valkyria 11,000, Phantom 6000).
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 14:05   Link #384
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Actually it's up to 9 different groups now, 10 if AonE releases.

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 16:13   Link #385
Solafighter
Hige

Not bad, the second episode.

Looking forward to the next one.
Old 2009-04-18, 17:23   Link #386
maxpepper

I enjoy reading these theories almost as much as I enjoy watching the anime
maxpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 19:08   Link #387
Kaguya
an idler

I think it impossible to make so large a deep crater by the conventional warhead missile of one shot.
I think that it is impossible also by Daisy Cutter or Bunker Buster.
If it is a nuclear weapon, it may be possible, but many lives will be lost by residual radioactivity.
I think that the possible means is as follows.

1. A lot of gunpowder was exploded underground.
2. The huge hole was dug using human-wave tactics.
3. In outer space, the heavy object was accelerated at high speed, and was thrown at the target.
4. Unidentified weapon
5. Unidentified power

The 11th crater needs to consider various cases.
Are there other means to dig a huge hole?
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 19:10   Link #388
Clarste
Human

No one ever said it was one missile per hole. In fact, it's implied that that it's a salvo, since apparently one of them missed and hit a plane.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 19:19   Link #389
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Awesomeness.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:06   Link #390
ZODDGUTS

Is the woman's voice on the phone name supposed to be Juiz or Ruiz? I know there's people with Ruiz as last name since I'm one of them. Never heard of Juiz. Guess with the way the japanese pronounce her name is sounds as Juiz.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:29   Link #391
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Serpit said:
Quote:
I'm talking about the part in the opening that shows the 12 Selecao badges
I think you may be on to something there (good eye!), but I read it a bit differently.

IV connects to IX, then
IV vanishes, then
II connects to IX, then
I connects to X, then
I connects to all the remaining badges with the notable exception of XII (hmmm!), then
V vanishes, then
X vanishes.

I like your theory because we've already seen IV connecting to IX. So next we see if IV vanishes. If this pattern bears out, you will win the Galileo Eagle Eye Award!

Now, who is Mr. OUTSIDE? And what is the EOTE written on the apple that flashes up on the TV screens? Eurasian Organization of Terrorist Ecdysiasts?

DragoZERO said:
Quote:
she pretty much goo in his hands
She is complete and total goo in his hands! She is gooier than goo itself!
I think anonymous boy may have finally taught me the secret of getting girls. First you just walk away and leave them, and then you come back and get them!!! Instant goo! Goo city!

I know it's not meeting them naked. I already tried that.

Oh, I forgot... one more thing... can Japanese cell phones really be used for paying for stuff, like using a credit card?

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-04-18 at 22:42. Reason: I forgot
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:33   Link #392
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Is the woman's voice on the phone name supposed to be Juiz or Ruiz? I know there's people with Ruiz as last name since I'm one of them. Never heard of Juiz. Guess with the way the japanese pronounce her name is sounds as Juiz.
This is the official website's address:

http://juiz.jp/blog/

Why do you think they named it that way?
Old 2009-04-18, 22:04   Link #393
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
She is complete and total goo in his hands! She is gooier than goo itself!
I think anonymous boy may have finally taught me the secret of getting girls. First you just walk away and leave them, and then you come back and get them!!! Instant goo! Goo city!
Its a little more involved than that. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Oh, I forgot... one more thing... can Japanese cell phones really be used for paying for stuff, like using a credit card?
The technology has always been, whether the actually cellphone does it is the question. Credit cards do it in the US now, so yeah.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 22:08   Link #394
mikoo
Banned

Freebies~

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 23:51   Link #395
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
Well, yeah, but even when there were great Kings of Israel, they screwed up in the end. As I recall, King David eventually set about sending a man to the front lines of a war so that he'd be killed for the sake of taking that man's wife, and, upon a quick google search, it appears Saul offered a sacrifice to God (the life of a bull or ox or somethin' like that), but only priests were allowed to make those offerings - in short, Saul sinned, and ruined his chance at establishing rule over Israel forever. Saul does more bad stuff later, such as keeping some livestock alive when God instructed him to kill everything (frankly, I'd agree with Saul on that one - the sheep didn't do anything to deserve death). Anyways, the point being that, at least in the Old Testament, nothin' good ever seems to come of monarchy. The faithful monarchs seem to do good stuff here and there, but in the end, they're still monarchs.

Shifting gears for a second: My mind is BLOWN.

It's been established that 11 and 12 are important numbers in this show. We know that 9/11 is important to the show. We know that Careless Monday occurred on November 22, or 11/22. We know that there have been 11 missile attacks. In the preview, it is stated that the show takes place over 11 days.

I'd just like to throw out there that I am not a religious nut - I'm quite the opposite. But I did a quick google search for the biblical significance of the number 11, and stumbled across a website for a Church called the Eighth Day Assembly. I think they read FAR too much into the significance of things, but, for as nutty as I think they may be, they do illuminate some interesting tidbits about the number 11, 12, and 22:
(I'm just gonna put this in spoilers since it's long)

Also, more on the number 12 from a different website:

These two websites can be found here:
http://members.cox.net/8thday/meaning.html
http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/docum...0Scripture.htm

So what's this mean? Well, it first off means that the creators of this show paid a lot of attention to the timing of what happens in the show. 11/22 would be a perfect day to have disorder (11) in the form of a missile strike, but hope (light, 22) in the form of no victims. Also, let's take into account that there are 12 selecao people - but, with Juiz, that's thirteen, a number representing... not good things, and if any of the Selecao die, as we suspect they might, that brings them down to 11, which is disorder. Also, if you take the fact that apparently one of the 12 is different from the others, we may even consider it 11 and 1, rather than just 12.

Besides this, 12 individuals meant to spend money for the sake of helping a country? When there are individuals set up to help a whole country like that, it seems rather... governmental. Let's also take into account all that stuff about Kings and Princes in the opening - it seems that the creators knew that 12 would represent perfect governance. So let's see where they go with that.

The question, for me, is when to stop linking the biblical numbers and the numbers in the show. For instance, Akira was apparently born on the 7th of January, and 7 is a perfect and pure number - but Saki was born on the 6th, an evil number. I doubt that Saki is evil (unless she's meant to represent that slut Eve, who we all know is evil and at fault for getting our asses kicked out of Eden).

So. How much weight do think the numbers will have in terms of how this series plays out?
As regard to number 12, those examples are not what I would call perfection. The tribes of Israel were constantly fighting that they were divided and conquered by neighboring nations. One of the 12 disciples also happen to betray Jesus. I don't think these can be considered as 'perfection'. Maybe that's what the anime is going for, conflict or rivalry among the twelve agents. Just my 2 cents.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 00:04   Link #396
cyberbeing

Production I.G. must have not been keeping up to date on the news (not that it really matters). Freedom Tower is no longer going to be called Freedom Tower. This recent development likely happened because the People's Republic of China has committed to lease part of the building and they didn't like the name.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2009-04-19 at 00:35.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 00:09   Link #397
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

What makes this show so great so far are the naturally flowing character interactions. The plot shows some interesting ideas as well, but they are not novel in any way. Usually a show with well made characters is entertaining all the way to the end regardless of the plot. So far it has earned full marks in almost every department.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 00:18   Link #398
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Freebies~

-truncated-
I'll take number 4, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The technology has always been, whether the actually cellphone does it is the question. Credit cards do it in the US now, so yeah.
This report says that the technology has already been implemented and commonplace in Japan, so yeah.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 00:22   Link #399
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Production I.G. must have not been keeping up to date on the news (not that it really matters). Freedom Tower is no longer going to be called Freedom Tower. This recent development likely happened because the Republic of China has committed to lease part of the building and they didn't like the name.
It makes sense, since it is a financial center. It really has nothing to do with freedom; quite the opposite actually.

On a more on-topic note, the voices were recorded when it was still called Freedom Tower, so it can't be helped.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-04-19 at 00:33.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 00:46   Link #400
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It makes sense, since it is a financial center. It really has nothing to do with freedom; quite the opposite actually.
Well since it was being built as a replacement for the World Trade Center over Ground Zero after the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attack, even though it had nothing to do with freedom, the name did have meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
On a more on-topic note, the voices were recorded when it was still called Freedom Tower, so it can't be helped.
It matters how far in advance they did them. This development happened a little over one month before episode 2 aired. This is in addition to the fact that in 2010, only one of the three towers would have been built. The other two were delayed and won't be built until 2012 or later. In any case it's a fictional work and it's actually nice to see it get within this work with the original vision still intact.

Tags
romance, spy thriller