AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-06-13, 16:37   Link #1
hamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Mermaid's Forest 8-11 stuck at "Connecting to Peers"?

i'm using the original BT client, have my ports open, fixed the DMZ zone thingy and have wireless DSL.......

the file has 4 seeders, 14 leechers

is this normal? it's been stuck for about 30 mins.
hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 16:49   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamel
i'm using the original BT client, have my ports open, fixed the DMZ zone thingy and have wireless DSL.......

the file has 4 seeders, 14 leechers

is this normal? it's been stuck for about 30 mins.
You say you have your ports open, so can we count out a router problem? Do you have a Firewall which might block your client? Did you try another a torrent (a popular one) and see if your problem remains?

Umm, what is that DMZ zone thingy you fixed anyway?
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 16:53   Link #3
hamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
no firewall - i've tried several other torrents, and got a d/l speed of about 1KiB/s for a moment on one of them...otherwise, it's been the same thing.

my downloads were working fine last night, and finished - this is a new one that I'm trying to *start*, I have no pieces of it.
hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:01   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamel
no firewall - i've tried several other torrents, and got a d/l speed of about 1KiB/s for a moment on one of them...otherwise, it's been the same thing.

my downloads were working fine last night, and finished - this is a new one that I'm trying to *start*, I have no pieces of it.
So can you connect to the peers and seeds? What about your upload? Is the usage nearly 100%? Need more information
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:10   Link #5
hamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
again, the continuing problem is it is stuck at "connecting to peers" - and since it is a new download, i have nothing to upload

"upload usage"? again, I'm using the original client, not anything that i can control the upload/download speed with...

(:P thank you for all your help, tho)
hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:17   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamel
again, the continuing problem is it is stuck at "connecting to peers" - and since it is a new download, i have nothing to upload

"upload usage"? again, I'm using the original client, not anything that i can control the upload/download speed with...

(:P thank you for all your help, tho)
I was referring to your second post (the torrents where you downloaded with 1KB/s)

Let me try to summarize then:
You can connect to peers and seeds (ruling out tracker/firewall issues)
You got slow download rates on popular torrents, too.

Is that correct?

What about HTTP downloads? You can utilize your whole bandwith, can't you? If yes, then we can rule out a configuration of your wireless DSL, too.

Did you try other BT clients as well? Like *cough* Azureus *cough* ?
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:23   Link #7
hamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
ahh...apologies.

in answer to your summary questions:

yes, and yes - my downloads (when they work) average 2-4KiB/s, and uploads 2-8KiB/s, no matter how popular the series

forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but how can you tell if you're utilizing your whole bandwith? HTTP downloads work fine

no, I haven't tried other clients
hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:32   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamel
ahh...apologies.

in answer to your summary questions:

yes, and yes - my downloads (when they work) average 2-4KiB/s, and uploads 2-8KiB/s, no matter how popular the series

forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but how can you tell if you're utilizing your whole bandwith? HTTP downloads work fine

no, I haven't tried other clients
You can check your maximum throughput with sites like www.dslreports.com or just calculate it for yourself. You most likely know your download and upload bitrates, don't you? Divide them through 8 and you got your ideal (normally never reachable) download and upload speed. Example with my connection:
768Kb/s down and 128Kb/s up = 96 KB/s down and 16 KB/s up. Normally you can't reach that speed in (HTTP) downloads, so if I get about 85KB/s down I'll see that there is nothing wrong with my internet configuration. So, do your HTTP downloads function properly?

Btw, I really recommend using another BT client other than the official one. Something like Azureus - mainly because I wrote a guide for it (see sig). Not only does it offer more functions but you can analyze download problems better with Azureus.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:46   Link #9
hamel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
okay, I used DSLReports and got 457Kb/s down and 117kb/s up = 58 KB/s download and 14 KB/s upload? er...I've never gotten NEAR that in download, i've reached 13 KB/s in upload once. My HTTP downloads function properly.

in order to use Azureus, do you delete the original client?
hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 17:53   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamel
okay, I used DSLReports and got 457Kb/s down and 117kb/s up = 58 KB/s download and 14 KB/s upload? er...I've never gotten NEAR that in download, i've reached 13 KB/s in upload once. My HTTP downloads function properly.

in order to use Azureus, do you delete the original client?
I never heard of any conflicts between those programs, but to be on the safe side, delelte the old client.

Me thinks you got a 512/128 ADSL connection (64/16 KB/s ideally)
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.