AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-23, 14:23   Link #541
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Cheers, thanks Xris
Old 2009-04-23, 14:50   Link #542
factor747

ahhh Currents series!!!!

Fantastic
factor747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 16:13   Link #543
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Well, then, since ep 03's raw has become available, there's no reason for the 2chan link to remain in place. Off to the download outlets you trot, people.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 16:57   Link #544
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Wow....I never thought this series would get its own forum.
This just made my day along with episode 3.

THANK YOU <333
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:10   Link #545
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

I don't know if this has been posted, but it seems like the phone is a collaboration with NEC.

I was contemplating to post this in the merchandise thread, but I think this will be one of many concept phones that will never see the light of day.

Not much information is given, besides the picture: http://www.nec-dp.co.jp/information/20090409.html

More images of a prototype of the phone from Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009 (source):

(Source):

Last edited by teelotes; 2009-04-23 at 17:41.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:44   Link #546
Crisano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCupCakes View Post
Wow....I never thought this series would get its own forum.This just made my day along with episode 3.THANK YOU <333
Same here. I honestly thought this show was going to be forgotten because to me it feels immensely different from the other shows which usually get a sub-forum. Hooray that I am wrong. Good job, Eden of the East.
Crisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 18:35   Link #547
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
I don't know if this has been posted, but it seems like the phone is a collaboration with NEC.

Spoiler for .:

Yep, it was stated on their website that NEC were already in stages of development for this phone, Kamiyama got a glimpse of it and more or less said 'that's my noblesse phone, i want that in my anime'
Eitherway, he approached them for the team up, so methinks it's something they will very much attempt to release over here. Especially now that it's getting "free advertising" from this series (plus movie to come), it'll probably attract a fair amount of people, depending on the price tag

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 21:01   Link #548
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I so want that phone! lol.
Old 2009-04-23, 21:06   Link #549
SamKajam

K. Don't nobody take what I'm about to say seriously, but I'll put it in spoilers on the CRAZY off chance that I'm right. Also, if you're religious, or sensitive about the topic of Christianity, don't read further.

Spoiler for dont read if you get offended by people making fun of christianity:
SamKajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 04:55   Link #550
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midevilshadow View Post
Spoiler for dont read if you get offended by people making fun of christianity:
I think you are getting a little carried away. I never saw it that way.

Last edited by Haruyasha; 2009-04-24 at 05:07.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:35   Link #551
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Wow, all my favorite series are getting their own sub-forums.
aliasxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:42   Link #552
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I knew I heard the term Nobelesse Oblige before. It's a more or less a derogatory term used to criticize the wealthy upper class who squandered money rather than use their wealth for the betterment of human society. It's essentially a social critique that emphasizes those possessing power and/or wealth should use their earthly capabilities to improve the human condition.

This begs the question of what the term really means in the series, especially when coupled with the fact that the 12 emblems that I would assume represent 12 people possessing all that money (Nobelesse Oblige) and that they are called Messiahs by Juiz. Assuming you follow to some extent what the term messiah is, I would assume that coining them Nobelesse Oblige is not meant as a negative label but as to what they should be doing: using that money for a certain "greater good".

Thing is, if you'll be killed when the money reaches zero, what do you need to use the money for? And just enough to achieve your goal without using all of it? The detective did drop that he thinks it's some sort of twisted game to save the country, but if the 12 participants are sort of clueless about the whole "program" in question, how exactly are they supposed todo what theyr are supposed to?

Which probably leads to another question: do the Nobelesse Oblige, however they are selected, know exactly what the hell they're supposed to do with all that cash to save the country? I assume they don't, not even taking into account if my assumption that they should be doing "good" is their job. They obviously need to use their money for SOMETHING for the country, and I'd think the detective just didn't do this thing. Whatever this something is, neither Akira and the detective seem to know it, and I assume the other Nobelesse Oblige don't either.

I assume this SOMETHING is perhaps the biggest mystery in the story.

Then again, the detective seems to believe that a Selecao member (I assume the Nobelesse and the Selecao are closely related in some way) used the money for those missle strikes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:43   Link #553
sirn
レス乞食

Episodes 4~11 (final episode) titles from MoonPhase, don't know how they got this. Probably from some magazines… (Spoilers warning)

Spoiler:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 11:24   Link #554
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Then again, the detective seems to believe that a Selecao member (I assume the Nobelesse and the Selecao are closely related in some way) used the money for those missle strikes.
Nobelesse is only the phone; the 12 guys are called Selecao, which means "selected", and therefore answer your question about them being selected.

Akira is Selecao nº9 (IX), and according to Kondo, he was the one who used the money for those missile strikes (whether that's true or not, we still don't know).
Old 2009-04-24, 12:38   Link #555
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Actually, "Seleção" means selection and can be used to refer to a group of people, like a team (ie. The Brazilian Soccer Team - A Seleção Brasileira de Futebol, and so on). I don't know if the anime writers did think this through all the way, tho.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 12:46   Link #556
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
Not just how he looks. He even had S&W M36 revolver, same gun as Laughing man and Mark D Chapman used.

Spoiler for note:
Also the Beatles White Album was released on November 22.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:07   Link #557
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I knew I heard the term Nobelesse Oblige before. It's a more or less a derogatory term used to criticize the wealthy upper class who squandered money rather than use their wealth for the betterment of human society. It's essentially a social critique that emphasizes those possessing power and/or wealth should use their earthly capabilities to improve the human condition.

This begs the question of what the term really means in the series, especially when coupled with the fact that the 12 emblems that I would assume represent 12 people possessing all that money (Nobelesse Oblige) and that they are called Messiahs by Juiz. Assuming you follow to some extent what the term messiah is, I would assume that coining them Nobelesse Oblige is not meant as a negative label but as to what they should be doing: using that money for a certain "greater good".
Noblesse Oblige is a term older than that, referring not merely to money but nobility itself, in terms of a class system (money and nobility are of course often related). Thinking only in terms of money is a byproduct of modern capitalist society. The idea is that those born into power (with servants and vassals and all that feudal stuff) are obligated to use their authority to help those that they're responsible for. It's the social contract where the commoners give up their freedom in exchange for protection. The lords are supposed to be the "fathers" of society taking care of their "children" while still having complete authority. The father should know what's best for their children, even if the children disagree. Noblesse Oblige expresses the obligation the nobles are supposed to have, with the implication that if they waste their power then they're failures. Think French Revolution.

Quote:
Thing is, if you'll be killed when the money reaches zero, what do you need to use the money for? And just enough to achieve your goal without using all of it? The detective did drop that he thinks it's some sort of twisted game to save the country, but if the 12 participants are sort of clueless about the whole "program" in question, how exactly are they supposed todo what theyr are supposed to?

Which probably leads to another question: do the Nobelesse Oblige, however they are selected, know exactly what the hell they're supposed to do with all that cash to save the country? I assume they don't, not even taking into account if my assumption that they should be doing "good" is their job. They obviously need to use their money for SOMETHING for the country, and I'd think the detective just didn't do this thing. Whatever this something is, neither Akira and the detective seem to know it, and I assume the other Nobelesse Oblige don't either.

I assume this SOMETHING is perhaps the biggest mystery in the story.
I don't think there's any particular thing that they're "supposed" to do that they need to figure out. To me, it seems more like an experiment to see if someone can save society from itself with only money.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 14:24   Link #558
Lostdreams

This anime looks so good ima watch it right now. It looks like it's from the company who did honey and clover and the characters look similar.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 18:36   Link #559
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Absolutely hooked on this !

First ep really grabbed my attention and its kept my interest so far and I really like the flashy opening and closing videos aswell as the soundtrack.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:09   Link #560
Ottocycle

Remember the third guy who got killed when Detective Kondou killed his debtors with Juiz?

He's the boss of the noodle shop the detective was at earlier, and having seen that Koudou left his lighter there, came to return it, happening upon the murder.

Justice, eh?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller