AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-25, 06:31   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Question installing vista themes

I just gotten myself a nice Vista theme from Deviantart but now I wonder how do I install it (or by any means add it to my desktop -> properties -> and then that menu where you can select what style you want in headers and buttons (?) )?

It might sound confusing but I don't know all English terms of the program because I am using a Dutch version
Also I tried google, but it most results ended with people having theme problems and having a theme load on a phone system called Sidekick which is obviously not what I am looking for
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 07:20   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
It seems that you first need to get the uxtheme patch first since the theme system in vista is exactly the same as it is in XP so even if you got that theme installed it wouldn't work because it doesn't have a digital signature to allow you to use it.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 08:34   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
It seems that you first need to get the uxtheme patch first since the theme system in vista is exactly the same as it is in XP so even if you got that theme installed it wouldn't work because it doesn't have a digital signature to allow you to use it.
Alright got myself a copy of this patch for the service pack I am using
which is a file named uxtheme.dll
However now that I read the description on the site it says that it is not for the service pack I use so I won't be able to use it anyway >.<
Old 2009-04-25, 14:08   Link #4
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

If you're using XP SP3, maybe you could try this. I haven't used it myself as I'm still using SP2, but I've already used uxtheme on my machine. I've already forsaken the XP-default Luna theme in favor of either Zune or Royale Noir (I change whenever I feel like it).

If the pack you dled from DA is an installer (.exe), then just run it at your own perils and delights. Otherwise, try to unpack the contents (.exe, .msi, .zip, .rar) and relocate the entire folder inside the C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes directory, where the default themes already reside. Then go inside the new folder and look around for a .msstyle or .theme file before double-clicking it. Otherwise, as you already mentioned, right-click on the desktop, 'properties', 'Themes' and choose your pick.

If that doesn't float your boat, you can opt for the more thorough (but also potentially more damaging if the uninstaller doesn't do its job) BricoPacks. I suggest the 'Vista Inspirat 2' build - it's a pseudo-Vista theme, not a real duplicate, but it's one of the most popular IMHO. It has its own uninstaller and, IIRC, an Aero-emulator (with opacity gauge), but it also means that unlike the .msstyles that can be removed by just deleting the entire theme folder, VI2's removal will be more complicated.

And...since I've had some trouble uninstalling it in the past (hence my warnings), I suggest you either use Ghost/Acronis/Terabyte Image/Linux Rescue CD to make a backup of your HDD before testing the installer itself.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-04-25 at 14:21.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 15:10   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

I am running Vista Inspirat atm, been using it for half a year now I think, without it ever giving me trouble when I uninstalled it or reinstalled it.

I ran your patch, I've been looking for a SP3 one lol thanks
But now I ran it and pasted the folder of the theme I wanted in the resources >> theme folder and rebooted, the theme doesn't get listed in my desktop >> properties >> theme screen nor does it load when I click on the msstyle file
Old 2009-04-25, 17:41   Link #6
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I ran your patch, I've been looking for a SP3 one lol thanks
But now I ran it and pasted the folder of the theme I wanted in the resources >> theme folder and rebooted, the theme doesn't get listed in my desktop >> properties >> theme screen nor does it load when I click on the msstyle file
Mmh. If there isn't a .theme file, then it's understandable it's not listed. You'll have to open the .msstyle file, go back to the 'themes' tab and save the current configuration (which should be listed as 'Windows XP/whatever (modified)') as randomfilename.theme in the C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes folder.

However, if the .msstyle file doesn't work, then maybe it's broken or you're missing a few other files from the DA archive, such as a modified Shellstyle.dll or something just as pivotal. I suggest you return to the DA page and see whether the author didn't provide a step-by-step tutorial, just in case mere uxtheme patching won't cut it and further tweaking is required.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-04-25 at 18:07. Reason: Rectified a few details.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 10:20   Link #7
Jill Valentine

Try style xp more easier to use, after that you can use any theme
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote