AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-27, 19:05   Link #1
onehp
Banned

uTorrent disconnecting my internet connection

Using XP, Netgear FVS318 router, and Speedstream modem. At a peak of a torrent download, my internet connection breaks and I will get a network error "A network cable is unplugged" which turns into "Acquiring network address". The network disconnects on its own. Though it shows that my computer is still receiving signals from the router, I can't connect to anything. After many trial and error, I find that resetting my router and it finding the connection type fixed the problem. I had many incidents of this in the past and I had enough. How should I remove the problem completely?

Thanks!
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:30   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

There is only one solution: don't use torrents..
Old 2009-04-27, 22:06   Link #3
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Get a new router.

My old Netgear RP614 starting doing that after a year of heavy torrenting, and it couldn't handle it anymore.
Old 2009-04-28, 00:11   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...76#post2316976
Old 2009-04-28, 01:46   Link #5
onehp
Banned

Which specifications should I look for in a router that will increase the amount of simultaneous TCP connections it can manage?
Old 2009-04-28, 11:11   Link #6
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
Which specifications should I look for in a router that will increase the amount of simultaneous TCP connections it can manage?
Hmmm, for me it was a price factor. I was willing to spend more money for a better quality router. Cause for me, cheap routers = won't last long in my experiences. I've gone through two linksys routers and a netgear. And all of them were under $30.

This is the Router I just got, and I can have 8 or more torrents going at once, with very little network slowdown.

Now granted that's $90, and as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. If money is an issue, just look for anything in the $50-$70 price range, and anything made in the last 2 years.

Or, you could try the suggestions in the link SeijiSensei posted before you spend any money. I'd give his post a look first.
Old 2009-04-28, 18:35   Link #7
onehp
Banned

Did it work as you expect out of the box or you had to modify the router in some way to have it perform better?
Old 2009-04-28, 18:42   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Loading DD-WRT on the router usually fixes the stability issues since most routers come with buggy firmware which affects the performance and reliability. I have installed DD-WRT on my Buffalo router (which they no longer produce because of a patent dispute) which pretty much fixed most, but all the performance problems I have been having like wireless signals dropping.