AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-27, 00:13   Link #1
onehp
Banned

suggestions for a malware protection when surfing the web?

I surf a lot and sometimes a site will insert their malware into my computer without my knowledge as I have unfortunately found out. So I did some research on which programs will protect me and found LinkScanner. I bought it and installed it since the last six or so months and I am pleased with it. But I am wondering if there are much better alternatives to LinkScanner?

Thanks!
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 00:20   Link #2
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
If you use Firefox, then NoScript is a good add-on to prevent "drive-by" infections. JavaScript is a major attack vector that allows for infection (the only other attack vector is through manually downloading + installing malware).

I assume you already have an antivirus installed? Avast and NOD32 provide a sort of "web shield", that scans your Internet connections and terminates suspicious/harmful connections.
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 00:34   Link #3
onehp
Banned

I use AviraAntivir. Used to have AVG Free edition but it conflicted with LinkScanner
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 11:22   Link #4
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

I agree with the NoScript addon for Firefox. And as Generic said, NOD32 is great for it's "web shield". Kaspersky has an awesome "web shield" too, and before I got NoScript it was always stopping connections from flash or java based ads.
Old 2009-04-28, 16:19   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Also, leaving UAC on in Vista can prevent installation of malware because it will prompt you before you proceed. Most programs are run without any administrative rights under Vista unless you elevate the program, which will run in administrator mode.

Also, using a non-administrator account such as a Power User or Limited User account will help because malware won't be able in most cases install into the computer. Also, switching your browser from IE to Firefox, Opera, or Safari/Chrome might help since they don't use Activex which is a avenue for malware installation.

Also update your security software and install the updates which will patch any security flaws that is unpatched.
Old 2009-04-28, 18:38   Link #6
holyalexander
holy alexander

bitdefender will filter safe site search both in fire fox and IE..
Old 2009-04-28, 19:24   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Also, leaving UAC on in Vista can prevent installation of malware because it will prompt you before you proceed. Most programs are run without any administrative rights under Vista unless you elevate the program, which will run in administrator mode.
If you're using any earlier version of Windows like XP, you won't have these protections. For those versions, use the Users item in the Control Panel to remove any adminstrator privileges from your account and choose one of the options chikorita mentioned.

My recommendation would be to install a Linux distribution like Ubuntu and run any Windows programs you absolutely need in a "virtual machine" using a program like VirtualBox. If you don't want to go to that extreme, you can "dual-boot" between Ubuntu and Windows. The Ubuntu installer will repartition your hard drive, preserve your Windows installation, and let you choose between Windows or Ubuntu during boot. You can even take Ubuntu for a "test drive" by booting off the CD; it will run off the CD and not touch any of your Windows installation.
Old 2009-04-29, 14:13   Link #8
sa547
*Author

I use Sandboxie to put Firefox or IE in a "sandbox" in which a separate space is given to the browser, and to keep it separated from the operating system.