AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 154 42.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 113 31.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 14.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 6.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 1.94%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-19, 00:25   Link #121
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I would argue that Lovely Complex or Kare Kano are much better than toradora if you are talking about school romantic comedy. Toradora is good but not that good, at least for me.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-04-19, 02:17   Link #122
RhapsodyInBlue
lolwut?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: qwerty
I really felt the last two episodes were rushed. Nonetheless, the series is pretty good overall. It's not your average romance anime. Definitely enjoyable to watch!

8/10.
RhapsodyInBlue is offline  
Old 2009-04-19, 05:25   Link #123
Ryuutai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Talking about others love comedies, Lovely Complex was VERY rushed at the end...It had to end at the episode 18, because the episodes with Mimi and Kohori ruined a bit the story, in my opinion. They were totally out of place.
Kare Kano was ruined by the continual and useless summaries.

Anyway, I like both Lovely Complex and Kare Kano, but I liked Toradora better.
It's a more complete story, where every character has own development and complexity.

My vote is 9/10, and not 10, just because the novels are actually better.

Edit:

Quote:
For starters, let's start with the Christmas tree episode. That took a lot of suspension of disbelief, because it's physically impossible to take down a tree as sturdy and as large as Ryuuji's class's. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Inertia dictates that that tree wouldn't fall.
It wasn't a true tree. Try to watch it again...it was just a structure made by circles.

Last edited by Ryuutai; 2009-04-19 at 12:16.
Ryuutai is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 02:55   Link #124
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
But I doubt a softball could have toppled it down nevertheless. It still wouldn't fall.

Anyway, that's my piece. I agree with Darknemo. Toradora was good, but it wasn't that good. The ending episodes felt rushed, and I don't think I was the only one who noticed that. And since I don't have an Internet connection from where I'm currently staying, I'll just stop at agreeing to disagree.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 06:32   Link #125
Ryuutai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
But I doubt a softball could have toppled it down nevertheless. It still wouldn't fall.
I'm not sure you are right about the fact that it wouldn't fall, anyway it's not so important something like this in a fictional work, in my opinion. ^^"

Quote:
Anyway, that's my piece. I agree with Darknemo. Toradora was good, but it wasn't that good. The ending episodes felt rushed, and I don't think I was the only one who noticed that. And since I don't have an Internet connection from where I'm currently staying, I'll just stop at agreeing to disagree.
You told so many times in this topic (and also in others) that Toradora is not that good, for you...I think that most of us understood your point of view, don't worry.
If they will make an other season based on a spin - off or something like that, now you know that you have to avoid it, simply because it's not the suitable series for you.

Last edited by Ryuutai; 2009-04-20 at 18:40.
Ryuutai is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 14:20   Link #126
brain
house music addict
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I would argue that Lovely Complex or Kare Kano are much better than toradora if you are talking about school romantic comedy. Toradora is good but not that good, at least for me.
Kare Kano wasn't really half as much romance as it was simple slice of life.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
brain is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 16:51   Link #127
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I would argue that Lovely Complex or Kare Kano are much better than toradora if you are talking about school romantic comedy. Toradora is good but not that good, at least for me.
Having just watched Lovely Complex fairly recently..... dude...

LC was a fun show but especially in the second half after they got together it was basically a cliche a week series up until the end. We had the random rival for the girl, the new guy who just so happens to be just like Ootani who likes her for no real reason. It was just lazy plot devices left and right to artificially create conflict.

In fact, there was very little to their relationship after they get together besides said conflict.

I gotta say man, I have no clue what you even wanted from this show. Did you just dislike the time jump? Because that's the only way I can see how the "Pacing" could be such a deal-breaker for you.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 17:00   Link #128
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Having just watched Lovely Complex fairly recently..... dude...

LC was a fun show but especially in the second half after they got together it was basically a cliche a week series up until the end. We had the random rival for the girl, the new guy who just so happens to be just like Ootani who likes her for no real reason. It was just lazy plot devices left and right to artificially create conflict.

In fact, there was very little to their relationship after they get together besides said conflict.

I gotta say man, I have no clue what you even wanted from this show. Did you just dislike the time jump? Because that's the only way I can see how the "Pacing" could be such a deal-breaker for you.
I'm surprised you're still trying to defend this (awesome) show from people who seem determined to not like it, typhon...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-04-20, 18:01   Link #129
Ryuutai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Having just watched Lovely Complex fairly recently..... dude...

LC was a fun show but especially in the second half after they got together it was basically a cliche a week series up until the end. We had the random rival for the girl, the new guy who just so happens to be just like Ootani who likes her for no real reason. It was just lazy plot devices left and right to artificially create conflict.
Those episodes with Mimi and Kohori were really rushed and useless...Specially those with Kohori. I remember that I had been disappointed by Risa's behaviour, because she had fought so much to get Otani, just caught her happiness, and now she was wasting everything because of a guy who she had just met. Even if I know that she really loved Otani, when I saw that she behaved in that way, I couldn't help to have the feeling that her love for him wasn't so strong, after all...And this sensation was really annoying, after the big satisfaction that I had felt with the episode 18.
Anyway, I still love Lovely Complex, so I can forgive it for those poor episodes...Overall, it's very good and is one of my favorite love comedies. But I admit that it's not really the ideal example of good pacing in a show. The episodes after the 18th are really inconsistent and rushed, much more than the final episodes of Toradora, in my opinion.
Imho, an example of show with a perfect pacing, is Maison Ikkoku. It's really a masterpiece. In our days, very long series and still solid like that probably don't exist anymore. But Toradora could be it, if only J.C. Staff had wanted to use a bigger budget: the original material is really great, and I'm sure that a series of 52 episodes (more or less) would have expressed fully the potential of the novels, without be boring.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by Ryuutai; 2009-04-20 at 18:47.
Ryuutai is offline  
Old 2009-04-21, 10:38   Link #130
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: My house
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I gotta say man, I have no clue what you even wanted from this show. Did you just dislike the time jump? Because that's the only way I can see how the "Pacing" could be such a deal-breaker for you.
Wasn't it because he never liked Taiga and wanted to be Ami the female lead? Well, that's what I understood wile reading Darknemo's comments. True to be told I just can't comprehend the obsession so many people have with that character
SakuraAyanami is offline  
Old 2009-04-21, 13:43   Link #131
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraAyanami View Post
Wasn't it because he never liked Taiga and wanted to be Ami the female lead? Well, that's what I understood wile reading Darknemo's comments. True to be told I just can't comprehend the obsession so many people have with that character
You and me both.

As an aside, physics was always an Ami fan too before the show killed that pairing completely.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-04-21, 17:04   Link #132
Tiran86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'd give it an 8.5/10, rounded up for the poll. The characters were great and it was a really fun story, but the events in the last few episodes could've been better paced. I also didn't really think Taiga's leaving in the final episode was handled well.
Tiran86 is offline  
Old 2009-04-22, 04:56   Link #133
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You and me both.

As an aside, physics was always an Ami fan too before the show killed that pairing completely.
If you want different pairings, you can always opt for the psp game ^.^ (will be released next week)
hyl is offline  
Old 2009-04-24, 23:17   Link #134
stardf29
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
10/10 for high enjoyment, great comedy, and what many people mentioned about the romance being handled quite realistically, especially for a romantic comedy. For that last reason in particular, it shall be in my Hall of Fame of romantic comedies and of anime in general.

I haven't read the light novels, so no comments there.

Looking back on it, it did seem that the last few episodes were somewhat rushed. Somewhat. Not enough to detract from the show, in my opinion.
stardf29 is offline  
Old 2009-04-28, 09:20   Link #135
attobyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for ToraDora's end:


Overall, I liked this drama focused non super power version of Shakugan no Shana.
attobyte is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 14:26   Link #136
kyosak
poo
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Age: 25
Hmmm... Am I weird for thinking that the
Spoiler:
was really obvious from the beginning? Seems like a lot of people were supporting Minori more, lol.

Just finished watching the show a couple of days back and it is definitely one of my recent favorites. TBH, I absolutely HATED the show for the first few episodes. It felt really generic to me (tsundere - check, girl somehow living with guy - check, etc.). I think it was around the time
Spoiler:
I started really getting into the show! Very satisfied with the end, 10/10.

One thing that did bug me all series though...
Spoiler:
kyosak is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 09:14   Link #137
Keio
Serious Business
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philippines
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Hmmm... Am I weird for thinking that the
Spoiler:
was really obvious from the beginning? Seems like a lot of people were supporting Minori more, lol.
Actually you're among the more level-headed ones for thinking that. A lot of people rage because they didn't get their preferred couple in the end, failing to notice that this show is not a shipping one nor a harem. And they call it "generic", "bland", "tsundere-wins-at-the-end", "shit", etc. etc. etc.

Funny, I notice that there are more Ami supporters than Minori ones.
__________________

Last edited by Keio; 2009-05-01 at 09:25.
Keio is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 18:07   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Ami was simply quite an interesting character, particularly once she "grew up" a bit. But from the beginning this story was focused on how a relationship between two particular people (Taiga and Ryuuji) evolved ... it was just nice that it was placed within the context of a lot of other "somewhat off-stage" stories that gave it an air of realism we don't usually see in romances.

In some ways, it was like a pair of parents explaining to their kids how they met via flashback.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 19:21   Link #139
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
I still think the opening and closing monologues are Ryuji and Taiga framing the story to their kids, or something. I mean, it does fit the general theme, no?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-05-02, 06:33   Link #140
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Lots of people say that the whole mess could easily have been avoided if just one out of the main 5 characters had been honest and open with their feelings.

1. Kitamura: If his feelings for Sumire had been stated earlier, Taiga would know from Episode 1 that he was off-limits, and Sumire might have responded.

2. Minori: If she had admitted her growing feelings for Ryuuji, both of them would probably become a couple before the latter's relationship with Taiga progressed beyond friendship.

3. Taiga: If Taiga had been honest about her feelings when she realised her love for Ryuuji, there would be no hairclip-misunderstanding, no snow accident, etc.

4. Ryuuji: If he had taken the direct approach with Minori early in the series, or if he had revealed his new-found feelings for Taiga, a lot of things could have been avoided.

5. Ami: Less QQ, more pew pew. Danger avoided.

While I acknowledge these points, I believe that the characters would not have developed so much had they not gone through the entire process. Taiga would still be the Palmtop Tiger, Ryuuji the Delinquent, Minori the Genki Girl, Ami the Bakachi, and Kitamura the Exhibitionist. I can't help but think that the end result of the entire set of events was the best outcome for everyone. Even for Minori and Ami, who did not get what they wanted, the end had them learning a lot more about life in general.

Such is life - you don't always get what you want, but whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stronger. While it is true that the entire storyline could have been simplified a great deal if the characters had behaved differently, I don't necessarily think it is a good thing. In my opinion, these events are what make ToraDora! unique and endearing.
frivolity is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.