AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-01, 04:36   Link #2421
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to place this information, but:

Justice Souter To Retire From Supreme Court.

Quote:
NPR has learned that Supreme Court Justice David Souter is planning to retire at the end of the court's current term. Souter's retirement would give President Obama his first appointment to the high court, and most observers expect that he will appoint a woman.
Now, this is not 100% confirmed yet, but several blogs, websites, and even news channels are reporting that Souter is getting ready to step down. It would be a shame if he did step down currently, if, for no other reason, than he was one of the few bastions of non-partisianship found in all of D.C., but if he feels it is his time to retire, then my best wishes go out to him (...I hope he writes a autobiography or a memoir about his time in D.C.).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 06:43   Link #2422
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
I'm pretty sure ginsberg will be sitting soon giving obama two seats to fill. After rhenquest's death and O'connors retirement the bench is really thinning out of what I consider a predominantly conservative judgeship, though I find that their life appointments only help diminish their own agendas, I still think its a good thing that we have a democrat to get to pick replacements.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 12:41   Link #2423
Orga777
TRUE! Lelouch is dead! XD
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They're elected to REPRESENT the people's best interests - not to react instantly to public opinion polls .... ya know, sometimes "the people" just aren't that bright on a particular matter either.
While that is true for some cases, it isn't always true for most cases. Especially when regaurding economics, rights, freedoms, and what is happening at home.

Quote:
What do "the people" want done in regard to the H1N1 flu problem? "make it go away". The implementation is delegated to the experts.
Well of course, but remember that this is a totally new virus and while precaution is good, rushing things can result in something worse than the Swine Flu. Like what happened in the 1976 which made things worse for people.

Quote:
What do "the people" want done about North Korea? Frankly, most of them don't have a clue outside of "make the problem go away". The problem is very complicated and naturally involves the interests of every other country surrounding the Korean Peninsula.
Well, I will agree when it comes to foreign policy, but mostly my point was mroe directed towards things here, not abroad since most people don't know the ins and outs of foreign problems.

Quote:
That's why we have a representative republic rather than a pure democracy. How well that works depends on how we limit influence from narrow special interests, of course.
I agree here too... but the Special Interests will always sway the government... because they are the ones suppling the damn politicians with their funds. Money talks sadly...
__________________
Join the SANITY: The Anti-Pairing Brigade Social Group
Together we will stop the Kalulu and CluClu Cults with divine judgment!
Orga777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 14:28   Link #2424
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Maybe I'm wrong on this one, (i'm just playing devil's advocate here) but aren't there many people dying due to poor treatment under the N.K regime? What is the difference how people die, if they are dying no matter ?



When interacting person to person it is important to respect all peoples and their lives, but as far as the American Gov't. is concerned I would hope they would be focused on what is best for America. That is the oath they swear as our representatives.
Yes many are dying everyday, but the war will worsen this problem and could lead to death of thousands in South Korea and possibly China as well. And today's world is more global with interacting others, don't think that crisis in East Asia won't effect America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
You are absolutely wrong. I do not care much about America at all. Japan is currently potentially threatened by the provocative presence of North Korea and the United States seems to be too focus on their own benefits as to not offend China which forces them into a comprising position with the North Koreans which is absolutely pathetic. Japan and the United States are allies and thus, I do hope that the American economy don't collapse over North Korean intimidation. However, I am definitely unhappy with how the Americans deal with this North Korea issue. They are thinking too much of themselves and their bilateral relations with the Chinese, while at the same time.. They are being unreasonable cowardly towards North Korea which makes no sense.

As for your statement as to whether I am disregarding South Korea, you are probably correct. I don't really care much as to what happens to South Korea if they are going to back off against a common enemy, North Korea because they prioritizes too much over their own safety and is ignoring what North Korea is recently doing. Its like South Korea would rather bow down to the North Koreans rather than fight back along with Japan and the United States against their unreasonable intimidations over their missile and nuclear activities. If South Korea would act reasonably, I would care about them of course. Bilateral ties are important.
Oh really? I take it that you are a Japanese then? If you are not then are you afraid to lose your precious animes? Your post is so ironic that it is not even funny. You are talking about America being pathetic because they only care about their own benefit and yet you disregard Korea and only cares about what Japan benefits.
And are you fucking kidding me, we are ignoring what North Koreans are doing? We only care about our own safety? Ok first of all we are not ignoring them we are constantly trying to negotiate them. Secondly why would we want to go war with North Korea? Did you even studied the Korean War? How many lives were lost and the damage it had in our country? And Koreans people were just freed from Japan, the war damaged us so much and us Koreans never want to see such tragedy ever again.
Yeah we are so unreasonable because we don't want an a war that could ruin our economy, something that we worked so hard to built up for over last 50years and we don't want to fight against our fellow siblings.
Please shut up your post is just full of ignorance.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 16:51   Link #2425
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
And on that note, I'm gonna have to step in before this gets uglier. I think we're done with this particular discussion people. This thread is getting too derailed by one topic, so drop the subject.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 19:47   Link #2426
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
NATO forces foil attack on Norwegian oil tanker
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 19:47   Link #2427
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview

A badass Asian kid (I think he's Korean) got in an argument with this racist b**tard and after getting punched in the face by the belligerent, unleashed his super-awesome kickass kung-fu skills and pwned the dude by breaking his nose.

Thoughts? I personally didn't know this sort of thing would really happen.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 20:20   Link #2428
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview

A badass Asian kid (I think he's Korean) got in an argument with this racist b**tard and after getting punched in the face by the belligerent, unleashed his super-awesome kickass kung-fu skills and pwned the dude by breaking his nose.

Thoughts? I personally didn't know this sort of thing would really happen.
A very interesting story..

I am slightly curious. Why did the Korean boy's father taught him to fight back using only his left-hand? Leftist counterstrike?

Self-defense is justified but the appropriate action for that matter would be to tell a nearby teacher and explain it rather than fighting back because it will only develop into a more serious matter. More over, there is a reason for why the people in that area are acting the way they are, unless people are going to ignore the entire story. There is two-sides on a coin.

In Canada, from what I heard.. Ever since the Olympics.. The Liberals and the NDP motivated by local Chinese propaganda groups are going to force the Conservative government to step down and apologize for not being friendly to China because the Conservative valued human rights over business ties. And for that matter, the Conservatives are being bullied everyday by the Chinese alliance to the point that it is almost seen as if Canada is a soon-to-be Chinese colony. And thus, it explains why the white Canadians students aren't very happy.. Nonetheless, his actions are not justified because racism is bad and also that punching another is also highly inappropriate.

Once the Conservatives are forced to step down, the other political parties have the very intention to ignore the United States and NATO, then build strong bilateral ties with China and make Canada into a Chinese colony rather than being an American ally.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 22:41   Link #2429
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview

A badass Asian kid (I think he's Korean) got in an argument with this racist b**tard and after getting punched in the face by the belligerent, unleashed his super-awesome kickass kung-fu skills and pwned the dude by breaking his nose.

Thoughts? I personally didn't know this sort of thing would really happen.
Every day I hope these things don't happen, that public school administrators and teachers are more understanding, and that they will actually be intelligent when it comes to punishment. And then I see how wrong I am.

It's a shame, really. That kid and his dad win the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
A very interesting story..

I am slightly curious. Why did the Korean boy's father taught him to fight back using only his left-hand? Leftist counterstrike?

Self-defense is justified but the appropriate action for that matter would be to tell a nearby teacher and explain it rather than fighting back because it will only develop into a more serious matter.
"Leftist counterstrike?" I have not heard any of the words you're using before. IIRC, most Asians are perceived to be right-handed, and if not at least it runs in this Korean family. He's simply taught to fight back with the weaker hand (so usually the left one), just enough to get him out of trouble.

I've always wished for some self-defense skills. Telling a teacher only marks you as passive and invites more bullying. In fact, the bully will simply learn to do it away from the teacher - the administrators don't have that many rights when it comes to intervening with these things. It's not like they can take it up to the bully's parents either, because every parent thinks their kid is absolutely right, which makes arbitration a total headache. A simple, restrained physical knockdown makes a point that the guy won't forget. All you need to do is plan a little more intelligently and have supportive witnesses around.

As for your accusation of the Chinese attempting to take over Canada through the Liberal parties... I need some sources from you. That's a little too incendiary to accept at your word.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 23:11   Link #2430
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to The Guy Named Zeo Send a message via Skype™ to The Guy Named Zeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Self-defense is justified but the appropriate action for that matter would be to tell a nearby teacher and explain it rather than fighting back because it will only develop into a more serious matter.
Well from this part of your post shows that you have never been bullied in your life. As someone who has been bullied I can tell you that all that stuff like tell a teacher or an adult doesn't work. When it comes down to it fighting back and defending yourself is the only way to stop a bully, most bullies don't consider you telling a teacher as a defeat, but as a victory that they have gotten to you and that they see that you won't fight back. The kid was attacked and did what he was supposed to do, defend himself which shows bullies that they do not strike fear in you and that you are not intimidated by them.

It's how I got the guys that were bullying me to stop, I just started punching them in the face when they attacked me. When dealing with bullies you have to stand up for yourself not run and hide from them, to them that is a game of hide and beat.

Edit sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, but every time when I hear tell a teacher about bullying it makes my blood boil, and no offense is meant by what I said.
__________________

Last edited by The Guy Named Zeo; 2009-05-01 at 23:27.
The Guy Named Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 23:29   Link #2431
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Well different situations call for different sets of actions. Not all bullies are going to be put at bay by physical force and many times consulting an adult does work. I believe the most effective tactics when dealing with a bully are...

~ Keeping in mind that your sense of self-worth is of importance. When you have to walk away, use assertive language, defuse the bully with humor or employ any other tactic as a means of defense. You're taking back what the bully wants to destroy, your self-confidence.

~ Building friendships with others that share your interest. The buddy system is one of the best ways you to protect yourself from bullies because they typically have an aversion to groups.

~ Stoping the problem by working together with other people to find a way to resolve the issue. There is strength in numbers and you can beat the feeling that you're alone against bullies by sharing your hardships with others.

~ Seeking out the assistance of an adult. The actions of an adult working on your behalf may help stop bullies in their tracks.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 01:53   Link #2432
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to The Guy Named Zeo Send a message via Skype™ to The Guy Named Zeo
Bullies don't like it when you stand up for yourself in anyway, and I think in the article the kid had probably tried what Gudio suggested instead of violence, but when that doesn't using physical force as a means to defend yourself from a bully is something that has always happened.

In my case I couldn't use the buddy system as I was the new kid and remained that for years and because of being the new kid and being bullied I couldn't make friends because nobody wanted anything to do with me. In my experience with bullies the teachers just watched or looked away until the victim decided to fight back, and than they broke it up and made the victims feel ashamed for defending themselves. I know that this is just what I have experienced and have seen, and now these people that have bullied me are now people that I trust. I'm just going on personal experience when I say that telling an adult doesn't help and maybe in the case of the kid in the article it didn't and physical force was required, but yeah the fact that he was charged for assault causing bodily harm is just wrong. Walking away may not give the intended result as some bullies will just believe that they have won by making you leave, unless you show that what they have done has not brought you down in the least.

When faced with a bully always stand up for yourself and don't let them take away your self-worth or your confidence, but if they corner you and start swinging just start defending yourself.

Edit: I forgot to add that even if you use the buddy system, all a bully has to do is get you alone before they start acting tough, usually they do this with a group of people with them. Remember if all else fails confronting a bully one on one can strike fear in them as they usually are cowards, you don't need to use physical force to do it, but show that they don't scare you and if they want to fight you, backing down from a fight can either make it worse or do nothing positive about it. Don't start a fight with them or do anything to become a bully yourself, but if they are just trying to get a group of people that are around them to be impressed by their strength, sometimes it's a bluff, but that depends on the type of bully.
__________________
The Guy Named Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 04:12   Link #2433
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
~ Seeking out the assistance of an adult. The actions of an adult working on your behalf may help stop bullies in their tracks.
Your experience is obviously different from mine, because I've never heard of that one working. Ever.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 08:30   Link #2434
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Your experience is obviously different from mine, because I've never heard of that one working. Ever.
I agree, it never works.

Terrible memmoriies of bully at the elementry level for me, clamed down at high school. The teachers can't do anything for you, its a stupid concept, children are children they will not listen to an adult if they can get away from it scott-free. Its better that the fight only resulted in a broken nose, it could have been much messier.
__________________

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 09:01   Link #2435
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
For bullies, it's always a bit of a gamble. Sometimes, you may not have to get into a fight to be rid of them. Instead, you need to give them a good fright, and I do mean firghts that make them at least go "WTF?". Bonus points if it makes them cry. Using this method may invoke the trope You are the Demons, though.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 10:42   Link #2436
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Your experience is obviously different from mine, because I've never heard of that one working. Ever.
Well yes my experience is somewhat different. I've actually had that one work for me and know of a few other people I know who it's worked for. As I said there are different types of bullies out there and just because, maybe, the majority of them back off too violence they're not all going too. I'm actually suprised that you've never seen going to an adult work. I mean in higher up grade levels that tactic defintely seems to simmer out, but when I was young thats always how I'd get a bully to stop.

I've been in plenty of physical altercations with a bully and while thats worked on some occasions others they will just come back at me fists flying. Some of them will just try to beat the crap out of you if you fight back and then of course you can fight back in pyshical defense, but why resort to violence if you don't have too. Sometimes you can get away with violence without punishment, but sometimes you can get in more trouble than you intended.

I completely understand using violence if all else fails. You should look at those ideas I gave more as an alternative to physically fighting with a bully.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 10:44   Link #2437
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Different types of adults, too. Those I've seen were more likely to either ignore the problem or blame it on the victim.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 10:51   Link #2438
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Different types of adults, too. Those I've seen were more likely to either ignore the problem or blame it on the victim.
Yes, indeed and I've met plenty of those as well. Thats kind of my point really that there are different types of people/situations out there that call for different actions and I think being open to other tactics is a good thing and worth a try. If something doesn't work there is nothing stopping you from trying something else.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 11:27   Link #2439
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well different situations call for different sets of actions. Not all bullies are going to be put at bay by physical force and many times consulting an adult does work. I believe the most effective tactics when dealing with a bully are...

~ Keeping in mind that your sense of self-worth is of importance. When you have to walk away, use assertive language, defuse the bully with humor or employ any other tactic as a means of defense. You're taking back what the bully wants to destroy, your self-confidence.

~ Building friendships with others that share your interest. The buddy system is one of the best ways you to protect yourself from bullies because they typically have an aversion to groups.

~ Stopping the problem by working together with other people to find a way to resolve the issue. There is strength in numbers and you can beat the feeling that you're alone against bullies by sharing your hardships with others.

~ Seeking out the assistance of an adult. The actions of an adult working on your behalf may help stop bullies in their tracks.
that never works, what you are suggesting will only make the victim a bigger target fro bullies. Speaking from personal experience here.

if you are being bully, DON"T EVER back down. that will only make things worst.

Teachers are absolutely useless in these situations.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 11:47   Link #2440
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that never works, what you are suggesting will only make the victim a bigger target fro bullies. Speaking from personal experience here.

if you are being bully, DON"T EVER back down. that will only make things worst.

Teachers are absolutely useless in these situations.
Really I get that those seem ineffective for the majority. I'm just speaking from my own personal expirences which seems to differ greatly from the good number of people responding to my post. Let me say again though that I'm not saying those tactics are going to work, more that they are alternatives to physical altercation that I've seen work. Looking back I kind of worded my point of that post poorly.

Anyways I just think fighting a bully, while being most likely the quickest solution comes with, at times, the cost of the bullied getting punnished for fighting back (at least from my personal expirences), which is why I think its important to try other tactics first before resorting to the tactic of violence.
__________________

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-05-02 at 11:57.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.