AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2008-06-20, 12:36   Link #1
scingram

Azureus / Vuze Friends

Hey all,

So I have been playing around with the new version of Azureus / Vuze and wondered if any of you have signed in and have started using the Freinds option.

According to the info and the FAQ, the friends option allows for a speed boost in the torrent being downloaded by connecting directly to other friends downloading (or uploading) the same torrent.

I figure since we all download a lot of the same stuff setting up a friends list here may be beneficial to all of us.

If you want to give it a try, then you are welcome to search for me.
My username is Zaxxon55, and if you cant find me that way you can e-mail your friend request to scingram at yahoo.com.
scingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 05:15   Link #2
Cronoss

Hi my username on my azureus is cronoss
Thank You
Cronoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 08:24   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think that's not how exactly they work. I always use torrents when I want to send large amounts of files (like a few gigs of pictures for example); just because it's easier/faster and I can send it to a lot of people with little effort. Because they are in the same network or town the speeds go up to 7mb/s while otherwise if they were in a different country they would likely be considerably slower (we're talking kb/s speeds).

I think that's how the friends feature works as well. If you know people that live near you downloading the same stuff you can add them as friends and get a boost; but if your friends are just half a world away (while helping a little) it's not going to help you in a great way.

Just my guess~
Old 2009-05-01, 13:47   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Seems as good to ask here as anywhere?

Is there any particular reason *not* to switch from Azureus to Vuze?

Vuze seems "unnecessarily shiny" but so far I'm not seeing any reason for Vuze to be preferred. Actually the "shiny" makes me suspicious
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 14:01   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You mixed it up. Also, I personally switch Vuze to Azureus mode and works fine.
Old 2009-05-01, 14:57   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

wait, what? I was under the impression that Vuze was the "new Azureus". Either client "works fine" but Vuze has a lot of fluff that don't seem relevant to my needs (like the "friend boost" or the "hd network" crap). I've used Azureus for years (as well as uTorrent) -- was just asking if there was some compelling reason to use Vuze since a number of torrent sites are suggesting that instead of Azureus.
Old 2009-05-01, 15:16   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Vuze is Azureus, if you are wierd like me and don't like the extras go to: Options > Interface > Start > UI Chooser, and you can select the old Azureus from there. As for why switch, well besides the need to change the UI after install there's not much difference; its like with Vista motivation sums up to: "Oh! but there are a lot of improvements in the backend" lies.
Old 2009-05-01, 15:26   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently I'm weird like you (but then I also prefer green on black for my terminal work)...

thanks (wanders off to tinker)
Old 2009-05-03, 22:05   Link #9
Cox
BEETLEJUICE!

I am still on Azureus 3.0. I don't have a reason to upgrade myself at all!
Old 2009-05-04, 13:22   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, update report .... I find it hard to consider Vuze an adequate replacement for Azureus when what it appears to be "whine-ware". Its starting to fling "donate" screens at me which require me to answer "yes, maybe, no". I find it hard to justify this being served up on Sourceforge with that kind of nonsense coded into it.

Tags
azureus, friends, vuze