AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-06-09, 05:07   Link #101
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Mac Zero story is kinda plain, but the strong gay overtones in Yukikaze is worrying too.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 06:29   Link #102
FromageTheDog
Sazabi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Mac Zero story is kinda plain, but the strong gay overtones in Yukikaze is worrying too.
What I find even more worrying is your attitude towards these alleged "gay overtones". Lt. Fukai and his superior may just be very close friends, for all we know. These deep, bordering-on-romantic friendships between men are not a new theme in Japanese story-telling.

And what if they are gay? Why should this affect your enjoyment of you show?

BTW -- if you had qualified the statement thusly:

"Mac Zero story is kinda plain, but I'm not comfortable with the strong gay overtones in Yukikaze."

I may not have been as annoyed. Subtle, but I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

- Fromage

P.S. - OT, I know, but a statement like the above demands a readily visible rebuttal.
FromageTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 07:21   Link #103
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromageTheDog
What I find even more worrying is your attitude towards these alleged "gay overtones". Lt. Fukai and his superior may just be very close friends, for all we know. These deep, bordering-on-romantic friendships between men are not a new theme in Japanese story-telling.

And what if they are gay? Why should this affect your enjoyment of you show?

BTW -- if you had qualified the statement thusly:

"Mac Zero story is kinda plain, but I'm not comfortable with the strong gay overtones in Yukikaze."

I may not have been as annoyed. Subtle, but I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

- Fromage

P.S. - OT, I know, but a statement like the above demands a readily visible rebuttal.
No, it seriously gay. Golf Alpha Yankee. Because I do not like it. Simple.

A lot of people watched Yukikaze agreed with me on this.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 07:27   Link #104
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
anyway, whether a story is good or not has nothing to do with whether they are gay or not. The fact remains that Yukikaze has a kickass story (BTW, I don't think they are gay, call it a cultural difference, but I think they are just some very best friends)
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 21:24   Link #105
xu_henry_ca
DavidsbŁndler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via MSN to xu_henry_ca
....

I have watched episode 4. One little question: When did the province of Liaoning 辽宁 become a desert????? lol ^^
__________________
Frei aber Einsam
xu_henry_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 20:22   Link #106
Panon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
anyway, whether a story is good or not has nothing to do with whether they are gay or not. The fact remains that Yukikaze has a kickass story (BTW, I don't think they are gay, call it a cultural difference, but I think they are just some very best friends)
Dude, if you don't think they're gay I don't think you're paying very close attention. They definately are. (and this doesn't bother me in the slightest)

But then, you say Yukikaze has a great story which is funny, since it's an near plotless mess.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 21:03   Link #107
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
Dude, if you don't think they're gay I don't think you're paying very close attention. They definately are. (and this doesn't bother me in the slightest)

But then, you say Yukikaze has a great story which is funny, since it's an near plotless mess.
Dude, if you don't think Yukikaze has a great story I don't think you're paying very close attention. It definately has.

But then, you say they are gays which is funny, since they are just very best friends.

dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 23:00   Link #108
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South East Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
But then, you say they are gays which is funny, since they are just very best friends.

Look who's talking, Mr "I hope Maia & Tsukasa are an item!"

Note: I have not watched Yukikaze (though I hope to in the future) so I cannot comment on any of their story/relationships.

But let's get back to Macross Zero. I wonder if they would show the young boy Hikaru Ichijo or babyish Minmei as cameos for the last part of the last episode. Just for connection's sake.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 23:12   Link #109
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
I hope they show that 4-year-old girl blown into pieces during the Doomsday is Shin and Sara's child, now that'd be some good connection
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 23:37   Link #110
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Look who's talking, Mr "I hope Maia & Tsukasa are an item!"

Note: I have not watched Yukikaze (though I hope to in the future) so I cannot comment on any of their story/relationships.

But let's get back to Macross Zero. I wonder if they would show the young boy Hikaru Ichijo or babyish Minmei as cameos for the last part of the last episode. Just for connection's sake.

They put Roy Focker in, and Claudia's brother into the series, those are pretty strong connection's. Hikaru never comes anywhere near the South Atari Islands until he's invited by Roy to the Macross launch celebration. Minmay would be a possibility if the story moves towards the ASS-1 crash site, since she lives in the city built around the Macross.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 03:13   Link #111
wuliao
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xu_henry_ca
I have watched episode 4. One little question: When did the province of Liaoning 辽宁 become a desert????? lol ^^
Macross takes place in a world where a great war was fought. It is possible that Liaoning becomes a desert through a nuclear strike.
wuliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 15:39   Link #112
gundam na jutso
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: col;llege station texas baby
Age: 28
what takes it so long man
gundam na jutso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 17:32   Link #113
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam na jutso
what takes it so long man
Well, it all starts with an idea. The creator fleshes out an idea, often doodling concept sketches, and writing up summaries, one for the whole story in general, and a summary of the first episode or two in detail.

The creator approaches the financial backer with the idea and pitches it to them. They take into account the creator's past works and how successsful they've been on the market, the marketability of this particular endeavour, and the cost to produce it.

The backers agree on a budget and so begin fishing for more creative talent and a studio to handle the animation chores. A number of studios will bid on the job, stating the lowest amount they'd be willing to handle the job for. Based on price and the quality of work that studio is known for, they will choose a studio.

A character designer is called in to create the look of the characters as seen in the show. There will be a lot of back and forth between the designer and the creator, and the creator and the financial backers, and discussions with studio heads in charge of the animation, and they will eventually work out the character designs as we finally see them in the promotional artwork preceeding the actual OVA.

A mechanicle designer is brought on board, though in this case the creator is the mecha designer so that takes a step or two out of the process.

The script is handed off to the animation studio, and the creator and director will take up the task of storyboarding the first episode.A lot of brainstorming and discussions follow between many people involved in the show's production.


Next week, the art of animation! Where a few hardworking souls working for starvation wages bring drawings to life, creating magic!

Last edited by Radd; 2004-06-16 at 17:44.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 18:44   Link #114
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Iserlohn Fortress
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuliao
Macross takes place in a world where a great war was fought. It is possible that Liaoning becomes a desert through a nuclear strike.
Also there is a thing call desertification ... you'll never know.
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 03:12   Link #115
Katsiena
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Macross Zero

Great show

Last edited by Katsiena; 2004-08-14 at 03:28.
Katsiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 03:27   Link #116
Katsiena
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Cant wait for # 5 to come out
Katsiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 21:58   Link #117
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
I have good news for all of you!! For those of you patiently waiting for DVD 5 (aka ep 5) I've got information on a release date. IT's scheduled to be released on December 11th, 2004. The info I have says that the date is tenative, so it may change before then, but that's the most recent (and so far only) information I have. Just thought I'd start getting everyone excited for the final (and hopefully greatest) episode of this wonderful, although long lived, OVA.

PS: AonE, we will humbly await your fansub of it when it does come out.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 22:13   Link #118
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South East Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
For those of you patiently waiting for DVD 5 (aka ep 5) I've got information on a release date. IT's scheduled to be released on December 11th, 2004. The info I have says that the date is tenative, so it may change before then, but that's the most recent (and so far only) information I have.
So you are saying that the release schedule of 22 Oct 04 for DVD 5 on the official website, since April 04, is wrong...

http://www.macross.co.jp/zero/schedule/index.html
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 22:22   Link #119
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
DEAR GOD, this better not be delayed!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 22:31   Link #120
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
That's my understanding of it. The site I checked said that they ran into production delays and had to move it back 2 months to the date I listed. Of course I'm more than willing to accept that they could be wrong, or it could simply be that the Oct 22 release date on the official website hasn't been updated yet simply because either A) nobody has bothered, or B) they're still pushing for the Oct 22 release date even though it's not looking too good for that date.

I'm only making guesses based on what info I've found, and given the studio's past release schedule, I'm more willing to believe that the official site's info is wrong at this point. Why do I say that? Let's see. Hmm. The previous release dates were:

Dec 21st, 2002
May 5th, 2003
Dec 1st, 2003
May 28th, 2004

Given their current track record, plus what I've found, I'm voting that the Dec 11th release date is most accurate. Who knows, they may surprise us all and release it tomorrow for all we know. hehe.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.