AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-14, 19:57   Link #1
MugenIchiban

BT File Numbers

What exactly does the numbers mean at the end. Is it for organizing or something else.
Example
[Anime-Source]_Avenger_-_01v2_Dome_[1d739058].avi
MugenIchiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 20:26   Link #2
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Those are the CRC numbers...i'm not exactly sure what they do (even though i read what they mean countless times) but it has to do with encoding and those numbers i think were used to check the file somehow...

*waits for someone to post more detailed answer*

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 20:39   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Those are the CRC numbers...i'm not exactly sure what they do (even though i read what they mean countless times) but it has to do with encoding and those numbers i think were used to check the file somehow...

*waits for someone to post more detailed answer*
Yes, CRC numbers are normally used to check the file's integrity so you can see if your download is ok or if it is corrupted. Since your BT client does that for you anyway, it is completely redundant and useless for most of us. It comes in handy for HTTP/IRC downloads and whatnot where there is no automatic file integrity check.

Just for fun: Here is a program to calculate the CRC. You can do this with your Avenger files and you'll see that it will produce the same CRC numbers in the file name.

Detailed enough, Superchop ?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 20:51   Link #4
MugenIchiban

Ahhh, I see now thank you everyone for describing it to me.
MugenIchiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 20:57   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Detailed enough, Superchop ?
Hmm...almost...but you forgot to tell us what CRC stands for ...can't have a detailed description w/o telling us what it stands for now can you

lol, sorry couldn't resist that one

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-06-14, 21:23   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Hmm...almost...but you forgot to tell us what CRC stands for ...can't have a detailed description w/o telling us what it stands for now can you

Fine, two can play the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum
In computer technology, a checksum is a very simple integrity-protection measure. It is used mainly in data storage and networking protocols. It works by adding up the bytes, or some other basic components in a string of data, and storing the resulting value. Later, anyone (who has the authentic checksum) can verify that the message was not corrupted by doing the same operation on the data, and checking the "sum".

The simplest form of checksum, which simply adds up the bytes in the data, cannot detect a number of types of errors. In particular, such a checksum is not changed by:

- reordering of the bytes in the message
- inserting or deleting zero-valued bytes
- multiple errors which increase and decrease the checksum in opposite direction
Some algorithms, such as Fletcher's checksum and Adler-32, are designed to address these weaknesses by considering not only the value of each byte but also the order of the values. The cost of the improved security is computation speed.

Additional security can be achieved by using a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) instead of a checksum. CRCs are yet more reliable, but somewhat slower. Since CRCs are often used for the same purpose as checksums, the terms "checksum" and CRC are often used interchangeably, but the two should not be confused since a CRC does not calculate sums.

While both checksums and CRCs are somewhat useful in protecting against accidental modification, they provide no security against a malicious agent as their simple mathematical structure makes them both trivial to circumvent. Therefore, the use of cryptographic hash functions such as SHA-1 or MD5 is often necessary instead of a checksum or CRC.

On UNIX there is a tool called "cksum" that generates both a 32 bit CRC and a byte count for any given input file.
And no, I didn't bother to read all

Quote:
Same here
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-06-15, 18:21   Link #7
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

lol, such a long post for a simple answer of "cyclic redundancy check"

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-06-17, 09:04   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
lol, such a long post for a simple answer of "cyclic redundancy check"
True, I just clicked a random link at the Google Search Results and copy and pasted here ^_^

Thanks for the pos rep btw, I'm now at 10 again, although I'm confused why I don't get pos rep from people I help in the AnimeSuki & Technology Forums