AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-01, 05:19   Link #261
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I can't wait for the 6th volume of LotR. It comes out in like October or something according to Chapters website.
__________________
A l i v e
[.eternal. W I S H.]
Avatar by Rinmei
Sonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 20:27   Link #262
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Scans for NoN are released.

Spoiler for CC doing a different thing:
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 23:35   Link #263
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Just to verify on the relationship of Lelouch and C.C NoN I'll ask one thing.
Spoiler for LelouchXC.CXZero:
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 07:08   Link #264
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Just read the latest chapter of Nightmare of Nunnally and i have to say...
Spoiler for my review:
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 09:56   Link #265
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I realised that they missed out this page from chapter 16 of NoN.

Spoiler for so that's where accursed younger brother is:


Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Just to verify on the relationship of Lelouch and C.C NoN I'll ask one thing.
Spoiler for LelouchXC.CXZero:
The only possibility I could think of is:
Spoiler for Lelouch's power:


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Just read the latest chapter of Nightmare of Nunnally and i have to say...
Spoiler for my review:
I truly agree with you. NoN is awesome. After reading the latest chapter I was awe as certain things I couldn't understand due to my limited understanding in the language until now.

Spoiler:


More interesting content will be coming. I can't wait to see the scan of them to clarify my doubts.
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.

Last edited by Pink-chan; 2009-05-13 at 10:08.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 11:32   Link #266
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Here I came with summary of last chapter of NoN. I can't wait for the scanlations to be completed. Awesome story.

Spoiler for Last Code – Demon King Zero:


Spoiler for Thoughts:
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 12:04   Link #267
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
Here I came with summary of last chapter of NoN. I can't wait for the scanlations to be completed. Awesome story.

Spoiler for Last Code – Demon King Zero:


Spoiler for Thoughts:

Was Milly Ashford in this version of the story? If so, whatever happened to her?
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 23:10   Link #268
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
I realised that they missed out this page from chapter 16 of NoN.

Spoiler for so that's where accursed younger brother is:




The only possibility I could think of is:
Spoiler for Lelouch's power:




I truly agree with you. NoN is awesome. After reading the latest chapter I was awe as certain things I couldn't understand due to my limited understanding in the language until now.

Spoiler:


More interesting content will be coming. I can't wait to see the scan of them to clarify my doubts.

You think somebody should contact the scanlators and ask them to please translate that page, it looks like an awesome scene. I'd also like a translation personally

Spoiler for C.CxLelouch:
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 10:01   Link #269
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
So, NoN has ended?
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 10:42   Link #270
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
You think somebody should contact the scanlators and ask them to please translate that page, it looks like an awesome scene. I'd also like a translation personally
I had a hand on the transalation. I'm sorry if it isn't very accurate.
Spoiler:

To think the scanlation missed out this awesome entrance of Rolo.

Quote:
Spoiler for C.CxLelouch:
No problem. They should animate this so we will understand better

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
So, NoN has ended?
Yes, 26 chapters in all ended in March 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Was Milly Ashford in this version of the story? If so, whatever happened to her?
She is in this story. She is still the president of the student council. She did everything she could to help Nunnally to search for the missing Lelouch but their family power is very limited. After that, she just remain a civilian.
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 13:10   Link #271
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
I had a hand on the transalation. I'm sorry if it isn't very accurate.
Spoiler:

To think the scanlation missed out this awesome entrance of Rolo.
Thanks for the translation Pink. Personally I enjoyed the customized entrance of the Vincent the most, such an underrated Knightmare Frame is finally emulated into the butt kicking machine it should have been. Lacking fire power? Get me my mobile armor add-on ala Gundam 00 style! Gawain pops up? Electric Needle Blazer Smash! Bye Bye Gawain!
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg

Last edited by KrimzonStriker; 2009-05-14 at 16:11.
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 23:09   Link #272
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Thanks for the translation Pink. Personally I enjoyed the customized entrance of the Vincent the most, such an underrated Knightmare Frame is finally emulated into the butt kicking machine it should have been. Lacking fire power? Get me my mobile armor add-on ala Gundam 00 style! Gawain pops up? Electric Needle Blazer Smash! Bye Bye Gawain!
I will like to see the twins confronted each other . Only one scene in the coming up chapters

Spoiler for Rescue Nana's Operation:


But Zero had his mask on, unfortunately.

The debut of Vincent is impressive for being so destructive. With his Geass activated, it would be awesome. He could have destroyed everyone in an instant. Anime version Rolo, had done an impressive debut in my memory when it first showed up taking a elevator, disappearing all the sudden and thrashed other knightmares before they could react.
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.

Last edited by Pink-chan; 2009-05-15 at 13:41.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 17:00   Link #273
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Thanks for the spoilers, now I'm just dying for the scanlations.

Spoiler for I really like Nightmare of Nunally:
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 19:18   Link #274
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
To me, NoN places Nunnally in the spotlight, and shows that maybe she's not as perfect as she's made out to be, and it's fine by me. I guess among all the CG mangas, this series really stood out, if only because of this:

"All hail Her Majesty Euphemia li Britannia, the 99th Emperor of the Holy Empire of Britannia!"
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 21:38   Link #275
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
In spite of all the NoN praise and subsequent hype, let me play the devil's advocate since it's intellectually stimulating to do so, even if it's a very thankless job all the same...so with all due respect, isn't NoN just great fanfiction or great fanservice, in the most flexible meaning of the term, since ultimately it can be nothing more than a derivative work?

It has shufflied around the same cards but not even for playing the same game. This isn't just a different version of the story, it's a different story altogether where you have to change almost everything around in subtle and not so subtle ways, with just a similar coat of paint on top which would be the familiar (or so you would think) faces.

Reading all these summaries all the way to the end of NoN doesn't quite give me the impression that, while there are similar themes involved, the concepts and events involved would really play out that well in the show itself unless you just rewrote the entire story to suit its needs from the ground up. Which isn't even possible.

Because, you know...the elephant in the room is that it's also much easier to build a new building using a foundation that already exists, when you can pick and choose what construction elements you like and don't have to face the same kind of pressures or make the same compromises that the original arquitects did. It's like saying that there are Evangelion fanfics/doujinshi that are superior to the original work, or that the manga is better written than the TV series (and this is arguably quite true, actually).

I wonder if the writer of NoN could have done a better job than the anime writer if their positions had been reversed. Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about a manga here, after all, and the process involved in making it was surely very different from that of the TV series. This same NoN writer would still have had to make an unexpected set of changes from one season to the next and deal with the fact that the show was now on prime time, which created new demands. That doesn't really apply to an alternate manga adaptation nor to most anime series. The neat little outline that NoN seems to have followed, with the not insignificant benefit of being able to take "inspiration" from the anime, would not exist.

I'll buy the NoN volumes when they're released in English, since it does look like a cool story with very interesting ways to mix and match the original material, for which the author should be rightfully praised, but for me that is not going to replace the original series in any way, as flawed but also as charming as it is, nor do I think it's just a matter of pointing out how much better it supposedly is in a vacuum.

Now let the flaming and ostracism begin.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 22:34   Link #276
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Well, we do know that there has been quite a bit of Executive Meddling with the anime, and therefore some story plots had to be dropped as the series is re-introduced to a large (afternoon timeslot) audience. Personally, I would recommend the anime, despite the tags of "trainwreck" which some have given it.

I do hope that NoN gets its own set of drama CDs. Compared to a full anime series, they're low cost, and it gives the opportunity for seiyuu to shine. I don't know about you, but Nazuka Kaori needs that little bit more to push her into the A-list.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 01:31   Link #277
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
In spite of all the NoN praise and subsequent hype, let me play the devil's advocate since it's intellectually stimulating to do so, even if it's a very thankless job all the same...so with all due respect, isn't NoN just great fanfiction or great fanservice, in the most flexible meaning of the term, since ultimately it can be nothing more than a derivative work?

It has shufflied around the same cards but not even for playing the same game. This isn't just a different version of the story, it's a different story altogether where you have to change almost everything around in subtle and not so subtle ways, with just a similar coat of paint on top which would be the familiar (or so you would think) faces.

Reading all these summaries all the way to the end of NoN doesn't quite give me the impression that, while there are similar themes involved, the concepts and events involved would really play out that well in the show itself unless you just rewrote the entire story to suit its needs from the ground up. Which isn't even possible.

Because, you know...the elephant in the room is that it's also much easier to build a new building using a foundation that already exists, when you can pick and choose what construction elements you like and don't have to face the same kind of pressures or make the same compromises that the original arquitects did. It's like saying that there are Evangelion fanfics/doujinshi that are superior to the original work, or that the manga is better written than the TV series (and this is arguably quite true, actually).

I wonder if the writer of NoN could have done a better job than the anime writer if their positions had been reversed. Maybe, maybe not. We're talking about a manga here, after all, and the process involved in making it was surely very different from that of the TV series. This same NoN writer would still have had to make an unexpected set of changes from one season to the next and deal with the fact that the show was now on prime time, which created new demands. That doesn't really apply to an alternate manga adaptation nor to most anime series. The neat little outline that NoN seems to have followed, with the not insignificant benefit of being able to take "inspiration" from the anime, would not exist.

I'll buy the NoN volumes when they're released in English, since it does look like a cool story with very interesting ways to mix and match the original material, for which the author should be rightfully praised, but for me that is not going to replace the original series in any way, as flawed but also as charming as it is, nor do I think it's just a matter of pointing out how much better it supposedly is in a vacuum.

Now let the flaming and ostracism begin.
:P The problem is, I am not making any claims as to the potential ability of the writers, or even NoN ostensibly as a standalone narrative, in the first place. Although it might even be obvious that NoN's writing enjoys a substansive advantage over the original work by virtue of being a rear guard derivative product, nonetheless this does not take away from the fact that, at least to me (even just to me -- though obviously I would be gratified from some sympathetic expressions), NoN is to a great deal more enjoyable.

With regards to NoN being fanservice, I can't really disagree; at least, on the grounds that no small portion of my enjoyment of the manga derives from my investment in (I don't really mean anything financial by that) and familiarity with the source material. In fact, ultimately I might even have to disagree with that (claims that NoN is a better standalone work; though of course not having tried it, I couldn't really say) because admittedly even a large part of that aforementioned enjoyment comes from negative comparisons with the original anime; while a substansive and significant part of the anime left me with a bad taste in my mouth, by now NoN has me jumping at every new chapter, and given the spoilers, this can be expected to continue. But as you might be able to guess by now, that really doesn't have anything to do with what I intend to say: the purpose of my claim 'NoN >>>> CG' was merely to communicate that, for people like me, who were hooked by the potential or originality of the ideas and characters in Code Geass' first season, only to be subsequently disappointed with the poor execution of the second, Nightmare of Nunally might be a great read. For anybody who has already trudged through the whole of S1 and R2, NoN, which offers a tighter, more substansive, and occasionally even inspired treatment of many of those same ideas, should definately be worth the time.

In terms of flaming and/or ostracism, I suppose now we can move on to how R2 isn't actually so crap as I say it is. Unfortunately, though, you might not be so alone on that, and neither of us would be able to end up playing devil's advocate. (It would also be off-topic.) :P
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 01:38   Link #278
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
First off, good to see you again Sol Falling, it's been a while

Second off, I'm not really a fan of NoN because...well, actually I haven't read it But if it is good half as good as you say it is Sol I may give it a look. Does anyone have any idea if it's been licensed in the U.S. or if they plan to release it here soon?

BTW, just out of curiosity, does Shirley play any role in it? And if so, to what extent?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 02:07   Link #279
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
First off, good to see you again Sol Falling, it's been a while

Second off, I'm not really a fan of NoN because...well, actually I haven't read it But if it is good half as good as you say it is Sol I may give it a look. Does anyone have any idea if it's been licensed in the U.S. or if they plan to release it here soon?

BTW, just out of curiosity, does Shirley play any role in it? And if so, to what extent?
No real role, from what I can tell. As far as I know, she gets worried over Lelouch's disappearance, but I think that's about it. At least she survives, I think.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 02:25   Link #280
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
:P The problem is, I am not making any claims as to the potential ability of the writers, or even NoN ostensibly as a standalone narrative, in the first place. Although it might even be obvious that NoN's writing enjoys a substansive advantage over the original work by virtue of being a rear guard derivative product, nonetheless this does not take away from the fact that, at least to me (even just to me -- though obviously I would be gratified from some sympathetic expressions), NoN is to a great deal more enjoyable.
Your post clearly was the immediate catalyst for mine, that's rather easy to notice, but my statements weren't just directed at you alone and are meant as a response to the general vibe about NoN that seems to be present around here and even elsewhere on the net.

You are certainly not alone in that respect, but I am not suggesting that NoN should not or could not be enjoyed. The very fact that I am definitely planning to buy it, whenever the manga is officially released in the U.S., would be a positive sign as far as that goes so my words aren't meant to absolutely discourage its enjoyment as, perhaps, a kind of supplement to the series in as much as it admittedly didn't fulfill a lot of its promise, for a number of complicated reasons, while NoN seems to be better structured.

It's more of an attempt to ask people to briefly look back at what NoN actually is and why a direct comparison with the show, beyond personal enjoyment which may be based on objective grounds but is ultimately also subjective, runs into several issues. That's really the main message, if you want to describe it as such, that I intend to transmit.
Everything else is up for debate.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.