AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 25 20.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 31.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 19.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 18.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-19, 11:08   Link #161
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Supposedly the cast of K-On is based on the band "P-Model". Though this bands members were male and active from the late 1970s to 1999, the girls family names and corrisponding instraments are from this band.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 11:34   Link #162
Tatiana Razajev
Karen
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
There's a touch of music and playing instruments here and there (if it serves the context for humor and moe) but it's always been more about the "mundane interactions" between 4 high school girls.
In other words, what we have here is a classic case where the main purpose of the subject is to bring the characters together. In this case, the light music club is what allows Ritsu and Mio to get together with Tsumugi and eventually Yui as well.

I do feel the show has definitely had some focus on music. It's just the focus may not be as heavy as some want it to be. Mainly because while the music is part of the story, it was as made clear by now never meant to be the entire story.

In any case, I have to wonder if maybe rather think of this as a "music" based anime that it might be better to consider it a "club" based on anime instead. By that I mean the following.

Rather than constantly go "How much focus on music will the next episode have?", we should instead be thinking "How will the members of the club interact with each other next time?"

In the long run the thing that matters most for me is how enjoyable a series is. K-ON! so far in both anime and manga form has been enjoyable to me. It's currently one of my favorites of the Spring Series. Although I still enjoy other Spring series as well. So it's not like K-ON! is the only thing I like.
__________________
"Don't forget. You aren't alone. It isn't just you. You have a billion bacteria with you."- Kokage Kuga (Sketchbook)
"Last night's dream was in sepia with subtitles"- Oomichi ~Professor~ Miyabi (GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class)
Tatiana Razajev is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 13:28   Link #163
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Look, I wish some people wold read and understand the posts of some of the viewers instead of just constructing strawman arguments.

No of course a show cannot just focus on what you pointed out. I never expected that. However, I did think music would overall have a strong influence on the show's premise and it is clearly lacking in that regard.
Nononono, I completely understand...

7 episodes currently aired, 3 episodes currently with music/instruments as the main episodic subject, the rest are just a recurring minor theme, 13 episodes confirmed so far...

I understand this as jumping the gun; You're getting ahead of yourself and there isn't even a confirmed end to the series since the manga is still ongoing, and anyone that's read the manga knows that with the introduction of a new character, music becomes more prominent and less recurring...I consider "clearly lacking" as a generalization made out of context on a still-airing series because that's a bit of an absolute opinion...It may not have a strong influence, but having an influence is far short of having little influence or no influence...And even at that, you're judging this show out of context without letting it air towards the end and that's letting you make generalizations...Out of 13 confirmed episodes, there are still 6 episodes left that could possibly destroy any conceived doubts you have on the series; Why not wait until then? Of if you've seemingly given up hope, why not just drop out now and miss out? What is wrong even if it doesn't present itself in the way you thought it would? Does it make you bored?

I also understand the concept of expectations, but I quite frankly think you're holding them too high...I was holding them pretty high at first, as a musician myself, but despite the show's short-comings in that regard, I've learned to just take it in as general entertainment anyway, especially since a genre of anime that even remotely takes music as a theme is far from a niche...Could it be better? Sure, I don't think anyone can argue against that, since better is obviously better...But sometimes it's better to just take it as it comes...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 16:15   Link #164
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
In other words, what we have here is a classic case where the main purpose of the subject is to bring the characters together. In this case, the light music club is what allows Ritsu and Mio to get together with Tsumugi and eventually Yui as well.

I do feel the show has definitely had some focus on music. It's just the focus may not be as heavy as some want it to be. Mainly because while the music is part of the story, it was as made clear by now never meant to be the entire story.

In any case, I have to wonder if maybe rather think of this as a "music" based anime that it might be better to consider it a "club" based on anime instead. By that I mean the following.

Rather than constantly go "How much focus on music will the next episode have?", we should instead be thinking "How will the members of the club interact with each other next time?"

In the long run the thing that matters most for me is how enjoyable a series is. K-ON! so far in both anime and manga form has been enjoyable to me. It's currently one of my favorites of the Spring Series. Although I still enjoy other Spring series as well. So it's not like K-ON! is the only thing I like.
I don't think people want sole focus on music, but focus on character interaction that has something to do with the music. The stuff where Mio is presenting the lyrics to the other club members, the moment in episode 7 where everyone was playing "air" instruments. These are some of the highlights of the show, because as I said before, they are interactions using music as a basis.

At least that's what I want. I guess I can't really speak for everyone, but I think if there was more of that, the show would be considered "better" by most.
vedicardi is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 17:16   Link #165
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think the basic question some like me and Reckoner are wondering is why call the show K-On if it's not going to be that big of a focus? It's like having a Gundam show and only having Gundam's every 5 or so episodes or naming a game KISS: Psycho Circus and having there be almost no KISS......wait that last one actually happened.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 17:50   Link #166
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I think the basic question some like me and Reckoner are wondering is why call the show K-On if it's not going to be that big of a focus? It's like having a Gundam show and only having Gundam's every 5 or so episodes or naming a game KISS: Psycho Circus and having there be almost no KISS......wait that last one actually happened.
If i remember correctly Macross was a romance show named after a mecha. Seriously mechas played a low role and i have sorta dropped it for that.

How many songs and such can you expect from an anime based off a manga? Its not like they can work in music too often to drawings. I give up. Some people are too blinded by popular opinion to give things a chance.
__________________
Goodbye AnimeSuki
You have lost your once great spirit
SeedFreedom is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 18:48   Link #167
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
In any case, I have to wonder if maybe rather think of this as a "music" based anime that it might be better to consider it a "club" based on anime instead.
It certainly makes more sense to think of it as being about a club than a band. I don't get any sense of them as a band at all, there is simply no musical chemistry going on between them. (I think this is where the disapppointment about the music video comes in - we needed to see how they reacted to one another as they played, how they managed to integrate their individual performances to make a single piece of music)
But if you view it from the perspective of a group of girls in what is basically a tea & cakes club there is a certain amount of chemistry and even a feeling of their respective roles.
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 19:03   Link #168
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
If i remember correctly Macross was a romance show named after a mecha. Seriously mechas played a low role and i have sorta dropped it for that.
What Macross did you watch? Even Macross 7 had its fair share of mecha and mecha-related plots...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 19:52   Link #169
Kyourin
garbage collector
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: between heaven and hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I don't get any sense of them as a band at all, there is simply no musical chemistry going on between them.
just curious, .. how do you define musical chemistry?
__________________
"love all, trust a few, do wrong to none"
Kyourin is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 20:27   Link #170
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
It's not exactly definable if you ask me. It's just when the right people get together and all know exactly what they want to do. You could say that the Guns N Roses line up from Appetite had great chemistry, or the original Van Halen line up.

In my opinion.
vedicardi is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 20:37   Link #171
nikorai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello.
Sorry for appearing out of nowhere. Due to problems with eye-sight I can't spend much time at the forums lately. But I couldnt keep away from watching Kei-on. For me, this anime is just awesome. I really enjoy the show. Unfortunately I can't really watch it regularly but so far I managed to watch up to ep 7, so the latest at the moment.

What was not quite indicated is
The place in Germany is Brandenburg Gate, in Berlin.
Russian people tend to mix it up with a place in Moscow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ru...cow-VDNH-1.jpg



Ui was asked to come up with some small puppet show. In fact I was quite surprised to learn that in Japan in many companies the participants of parties are often asked to prepare some mini-theater performances. I'm very far from Japan and I can't say for sure. We need to ask someone familiar with the topic.


Also, I checked for the can Nodoka gave as a present. Again, Japanese guys suggest it's yakinori there (I get it is fried sea weeds).


初詣のお願い
むぎ:家内安全
みお:体重減りますように
ゆい:おいしいものをたくさん食べられますように
りつ「みんな、軽音部のこと祈ろうぜ」
みお:演奏がうまくなりますように
むぎ:みんなと楽しく過ごせますように
ゆい:むぎちゃんの持ってくるケーキをもっとたくさん食べられますように ギターがうまくなり ますように
りつは不明
Hatsumoude wishes were.
Mugi: to have everything intact at home.
Mio: to lose weight.
Yui: to be able to eat lots of sweets.

Ritsu Ė Come on, letís wish something for our Kei-on club.

Mio: for our performances to go smoothly.
Mugi: so that everyone could have lots of fun.
Yui: so that I could eat even more sweets that Mugi-chan brings along.

(after being hit)
To master guitar.
__________________
Nick

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 21:56   Link #172
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And, you have just sat through 7 episodes that prove otherwise. I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of "taking a hint" here.
Well I guess Kaoshin's post sums it up ...

"I think the basic question some like me and Reckoner are wondering is why call the show K-On if it's not going to be that big of a focus? It's like having a Gundam show and only having Gundam's every 5 or so episodes or naming a game KISS: Psycho Circus and having there be almost no KISS......wait that last one actually happened. "

I can very much take a hint; it's not going to result in me dropping the series though. And I will critique it based on the premise that was presented to us in the first episode and previews into the show that I was able to see before it aired. So far, it has completely veered off course from those expectations that KyoAni created themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
I don't think people want sole focus on music, but focus on character interaction that has something to do with the music. The stuff where Mio is presenting the lyrics to the other club members, the moment in episode 7 where everyone was playing "air" instruments. These are some of the highlights of the show, because as I said before, they are interactions using music as a basis.

At least that's what I want. I guess I can't really speak for everyone, but I think if there was more of that, the show would be considered "better" by most.
Indeed, I'd cookie you if I could, but I guess I'll wait till next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Spoiler for For Space:
Well I am going to wait till the end of this series to pass final judgment. My views are based on what has been presented so far and sorry if that was not clear. If they manage to surprise me in the upcoming episodes, great.

I guess it is debatable though whether or not the music has any real influence at all, because I guess these girls would not have been together in the first place if it were not for the band. However, it is my opinion that the influence is very weak since it has served very little to the show in general beyond the first episode, the practice episode for the concert, and the concert episode itself.

Now onto my expectations... Well lowering my expectations is surely one thing I have lowered beyond any logical sense at this point. Even worst is that the show is still managing to disappoint me with exceedingly low expectations. I know the approach of "take it as it goes" and I'm just not that type of person unfortunately. Unlike something I'd watch on TV randomly, I actually put some effort into learning about and picking it up, and therefore expectations are set automatically.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:15   Link #173
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
K-ON helps promote guitar sales in Japan by not showing the girls playing the damn instrument!

More on this as it develops~

rofles~
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:16   Link #174
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I can very much take a hint; it's not going to result in me dropping the series though. And I will critique it based on the premise that was presented to us in the first episode and previews into the show that I was able to see before it aired. So far, it has completely veered off course from those expectations that KyoAni created themselves.
In other words, you've started with the expectation that K-ON is going to be BECK Seitenkan, and critiquing it based off that expectation even when it has proven an unreasonably rigid one by the 2nd, or even the 3rd episode. Noted.

Quote:
Now onto my expectations... Well lowering my expectations is surely one thing I have lowered beyond any logical sense at this point. Even worst is that the show is still managing to disappoint me with exceedingly low expectations. I know the approach of "take it as it goes" and I'm just not that type of person unfortunately. Unlike something I'd watch on TV randomly, I actually put some effort into learning about and picking it up, and therefore expectations are set automatically.
Clearly, not enough effort, considering your responses betray a lack of clue about the source material from which this series is adapted from.
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:16   Link #175
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Quote:

I can very much take a hint; it's not going to result in me dropping the series though. And I will critique it based on the premise that was presented to us in the first episode and previews into the show that I was able to see before it aired. So far, it has completely veered off course from those expectations that KyoAni created themselves.
Ever watched Gungrave?
Proto is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:37   Link #176
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
This is about the gist of what each K-On thread ends up as:

http://www.mistakesofyouth.com/index...mics/141/index
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:48   Link #177
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Ever watched Gungrave?
Interesting that you would mention that series because I happened to have dropped that after episode 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
In other words, you've started with the expectation that K-ON is going to be BECK Seitenkan, and critiquing it based off that expectation even when it has proven an unreasonably rigid one by the 2nd, or even the 3rd episode. Noted.

Clearly, not enough effort, considering your responses betray a lack of clue about the source material from which this series is adapted from.
I refuse to look at the source material as that would spoil the story. Sorry, but no. I'm mainly an anime fan, don't read too much manga because I enjoy the animated medium much more.

The first episode actually showed to me that this series could be something. So did the synopsis and the overwhleming praise of the first episode. I liked the first episode in fact and when it was time to watch episode 2 I was actually mildy excited. Episode 2 was OK. Episode 3 was the start of a bad run of episodes. I didn't just look at this anime and say, " Hey it's a music anime so that must mean it is going to be like XYZ."
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:51   Link #178
Child_of_Sierra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I think the basic question some like me and Reckoner are wondering is why call the show K-On if it's not going to be that big of a focus? It's like having a Gundam show and only having Gundam's every 5 or so episodes or naming a game KISS: Psycho Circus and having there be almost no KISS......wait that last one actually happened.
The K-On in the title can equally refer to the members of the club . We just had 7 full episodes all about them. (Only 2 named characters not belonging to the club). Everything they do as a group falls within the title's scope whether it be music or eating cake.



Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Fanart probably says more about the audience than it does the show, though...
Yeah, my point was that the audience/crowd that makes the fanart is at peace with the proportion of moe:music
__________________

Last edited by Child_of_Sierra; 2009-05-19 at 23:09.
Child_of_Sierra is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:52   Link #179
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
If i remember correctly Macross was a romance show named after a mecha. Seriously mechas played a low role and i have sorta dropped it for that.

How many songs and such can you expect from an anime based off a manga? Its not like they can work in music too often to drawings. I give up. Some people are too blinded by popular opinion to give things a chance.
Oh there will be lots of songs for K-ON I'm sure and have no doubt, it's just a matter of whether they make it into the show or onto set of character singles that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
This is about the gist of what each K-On thread ends up as:

http://www.mistakesofyouth.com/index...mics/141/index
This webcomic slays me every time I come across it, not because it's actually funny or clever or anything, but because the guy is clearly always using it to vent (a constant with WAH) about something and disguising it as creative art. And then he always does the thing at the bottom which I criticized K-ON for where he explains the whole point of the comic and the gripe that inspired it, thus rendering the point of doing it in a webcomic useless. Kills me I swear.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-19 at 23:13.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2009-05-19, 22:56   Link #180
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I refuse to look at the source material as that would spoil the story. Sorry, but no. I'm mainly an anime fan, don't read too much manga because I enjoy the animated medium much more.
Half the series has gone by at this point. Let's say you do read some of the material that was already covered in aired episodes. Does that still count as spoiling?

Quote:
The first episode actually showed to me that this series could be something. So did the synopsis and the overwhleming praise of the first episode. I liked the first episode in fact and when it was time to watch episode 2 I was actually mildy excited. Episode 2 was OK. Episode 3 was the start of a bad run of episodes. I didn't just look at this anime and say, " Hey it's a music anime so that must mean it is going to be like XYZ."
In other words, you've had 4 episodes to see that it's not what you're looking for after all. I saluteth thee of thy incredible perseverance.
Ascaloth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.