AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-29, 18:19   Link #1941
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

I tried to figure wat was said about Stratos : "ヴィヴィオの上級生?" -> Vivio upper classman? ... Nothing we didn't already figure out actually...
Old 2009-05-29, 18:22   Link #1942
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
The whole "Nanoha and Fate's daughter" thing is pushing a little too hard. Vivio states clearly that Nanoha and Fate are best friends since they were nine, but the whole dual parenting roles stated everywhere are just.... Actually it's become rather annoying.
Even if their relationship isn't totally confirmed (yet), it has been highly implied to the point that it's taken as a given. Now with Vivid we see that they are being even more explicit about their relationship as a family, so being positive that long-awaited-kiss seems like a very plausible scenario right now.
Anyway Vivio saying that they're best friends doesn't deny them as a couple (at these extremes it isn't like something can break their bond ^^). For the way she said the phrase she sees that their relationship is much stronger than with everyone else.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
Old 2009-05-29, 18:24   Link #1943
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri View Post
The Numbers were, for the most part, created out of random gene pools that aren't given any background info. They were either basic humans to start with or were Combat Cyborgs from the start (however that works). Their magic is fueled by something inside them, most likely a smaller version of what Jail and Quattro used to power up Vivio. It's never really revealed, so that's the best we can assume. They don't use "magic" so much as they use "reverse engineered magic" which is based on technology. Proof of concept may simply be in the fact that unlike actual magic, the Numbers' attacks cause visible, bleeding wounds, something all members of the TSAB seem to be able to avoid, even Signum when she cuts clean through someone. It's criminal-friendly magic!

This stuff I remember digging out of the Japanese Nanoha wiki using babelfish at some point in time.
However I believe Estavali mentioned in the Magical Technology Thread that and I quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
IIRC Nanohawiki mentioned that a mage can decide whether to set magical damage to "lethal" or not.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:26   Link #1944
Dri

Send a message via AIM to Dri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
However I believe Estavali mentioned in the Magical Technology Thread that and I quote...
Yes, I just didn't think it needed to be mentioned. Subaru going berserk and losing control is the best example (and Teana when she pushes too far for that matter and unlocks Cross Mirage's V-Dagger mode forcefully), but we can also see that earlier on, Fate's sword drew blood, which implies that to keep the magic non-lethal, there's either training or self-control required which she didn't have at the time.

Nanoha was just so awesome she turned her will to make friends into a stun mode for Raising Heart before she even knew what magic was.

Hayate is also an example of spells requiring control, since she explains that some of her spells are so powerful even she can't fully control them.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:43   Link #1945
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi Send a message via Skype™ to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
Even if their relationship isn't totally confirmed (yet), it has been highly implied to the point that it's taken as a given. Now with Vivid we see that they are being even more explicit about their relationship as a family, so being positive that long-awaited-kiss seems like a very plausible scenario right now.
Anyway Vivio saying that they're best friends doesn't deny them as a couple (at these extremes it isn't like something can break their bond ^^). For the way she said the phrase she sees that their relationship is much stronger than with everyone else.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
It does clearly deny them as a couple, or Vivio would have said something other than that they've been best friends since they were nine. Paired with the fact that she states that she still considers Fate a mother and says that she is a precious mama to her, Vivio implies that she sees them as a couple, her parents, but still understands that they are friends.

That poor girl is going to be in therapy before she's 12.

(If you wanna talk about this more, we can take it to the relationship thread, though I won't argue a set pair, just give my interpretation :3 )

@Dri: yeah I know they can't, I was more implying that I wish they would stop bluntly reminding us that they can't every 5 minutes :3
Old 2009-05-29, 18:50   Link #1946
Dri

Quote:
It does clearly deny them as a couple, or Vivio would have said something other than that they've been best friends since they were nine. Paired with the fact that she states that she still considers Fate a mother and says that she is a precious mama to her, Vivio implies that she sees them as a couple, her parents, but still understands that they are friends.

That poor girl is going to be in therapy before she's 12.

(If you wanna talk about this more, we can take it to the relationship thread, though I won't argue a set pair, just give my interpretation :3 )

@Dri: yeah I know they can't, I was more implying that I wish they would stop bluntly reminding us that they can't every 5 minutes :3
Well, Vivio IS a child. Love is a form of friendship, and in some cases, the line between true love and best friends is extremely, extremely thin, such as in Nanoha and Fate's case. Then again, Japan in general is much more open to people actually showing their emotions, unlike our silly American ways of 'sentiments make you weak'. Chances are even if they were a couple, Vivio wouldn't be aware of it at her age now would she? XD
Old 2009-05-29, 18:51   Link #1947
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Well, Vivio IS a child. Love is a form of friendship, and in some cases, the line between true love and best friends is extremely, extremely thin, such as in Nanoha and Fate's case. Then again, Japan in general is much more open to people actually showing their emotions, unlike our silly American ways of 'sentiments make you weak'. Chances are even if they were a couple, Vivio wouldn't be aware of it at her age now would she? XD
Two words:

Bunny. couple.

"Aunt Hayate, Nanoha-mama is trying to go to heaven!"
Old 2009-05-29, 18:56   Link #1948
Dri

Quote:
Two words:

Bunny. couple.

"Aunt Hayate, Nanoha-mama is trying to go to heaven!"
I was about to answer oh god to that but that would just walk right into your idea of it. XD

Actually I've seen a lot of comics on that that were just hilarious, like Nanoha and Fate snuggling while Vivio was sleeping next to them, she wakes up, catches Fate with her head on Nanoha's chest, goes "can I play too?" and falls asleep on Nanoha while Fate is whining on the side Vivio stole her spot. The joke possibilities are endless. XD
Old 2009-05-29, 18:59   Link #1949
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Then again, Japan in general is much more open to people actually showing their emotions, unlike our silly American ways of 'sentiments make you weak'.
Now, I know it's offtopic but I had to point this out... That's so far away from the truth, it's actually insane. More times than not, it's the western civilization that's much more open to emotions and emotional outbursts than the asians, in particular the japanese.

In short, do not believe most of what you see in anime and read in manga, the Nanoha-verse is no exception.
Old 2009-05-29, 19:03   Link #1950
BPHaru

Quote:
lol Indeed
Probably (hopefully!) Vivio's not aware of what her moms have been doing under their bed's sheets xD
Besides that, they have been always very close to each other, so that line is separating two fields that are almost the same.
Old 2009-05-29, 19:03   Link #1951
Dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Now, I know it's offtopic but I had to point this out... That's so far away from the truth, it's actually insane. More times than not, it's the western civilization that's much more open to emotions and emotional outbursts than the asians, in particular the japanese.

In short, do not believe most of what you see in anime and read in manga, the Nanoha-verse is no exception.
I don't know, from what /I/ read it's the case, and I've had friends who lived in Japan for a while confirm that it was actually the case. It might be specific to certain regions of Japan, though, if you've got contradicting inside info. But I do know for a fact that people in Europe and Asia are in general much more open than people in the Americas; especially with body contact.

But at the same time I don't think I want to start a debate on cultures and beliefs, so I'll just drop that where it is right now.
Old 2009-05-29, 19:04   Link #1952
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
I was about to answer oh god to that but that would just walk right into your idea of it. XD

Actually I've seen a lot of comics on that that were just hilarious, like Nanoha and Fate snuggling while Vivio was sleeping next to them, she wakes up, catches Fate with her head on Nanoha's chest, goes "can I play too?" and falls asleep on Nanoha while Fate is whining on the side Vivio stole her spot. The joke possibilities are endless. XD
I think you're thinking about SeaStar's comics, Diary of Vivio. I love them and did a few short fics based on those ^_^

Speaking of comics and stuff (on topic? wow!) is Vivid a weekly release or monthly?

(This thread is moving alarmingly fast. If anyone wants to chat in real time feel free to join our chatroom, the link is under my signature, I'll be more than happy to extend it to the manga thread permanently <3 )

Last edited by Satashi; 2009-05-29 at 19:09. Reason: deleted offtopicness
Old 2009-05-29, 19:13   Link #1953
Dri

Quote:
I think you're thinking about SeaStar's comics, Diary of Vivio. I love them and did a few short fics based on those ^_^

Speaking of comics and stuff (on topic? wow!) is Vivid a weekly release or monthly?

(This thread is moving alarmingly fast. If anyone wants to chat in real time feel free to join our chatroom, the link is under my signature, I'll be more than happy to extend it to the manga thread permanently <3 )
Monthly, if I recall, just like Force.

Speaking of Force, we should be getting our new chapter soon, hm?
Old 2009-05-29, 19:23   Link #1954
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Monthly, if I recall, just like Force.

Speaking of Force, we should be getting our new chapter soon, hm?
I'm not reading Force, I don't ahve any expectations for it at all >< someone lemme know if it has promise <3
Old 2009-05-29, 19:28   Link #1955
Dri

Quote:
I'm not reading Force, I don't ahve any expectations for it at all >< someone lemme know if it has promise <3
It's looking good in that "it seems like it will give us a lot of Wolkenritter background info" way. It not looking good in that "the foreshadowing implies someone is going to die" way. I'm still undecided on Touma and Lily, who look generic for new characters.
Old 2009-05-29, 19:32   Link #1956
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
It's looking good in that "it seems like it will give us a lot of Wolkenritter background info" way. It not looking good in that "the foreshadowing implies someone is going to die" way. I'm still undecided on Touma and Lily, who look generic for new characters.
New characters -.- ugh, that's one of the main reasons I'm not reading it. I don't want new characters, I want depth and background and understanding of a story unfolding around the ones I know and love........But that's not the type of show Nanoha is, afterall.

But really, Wolkenritter? I do like them :3
Old 2009-05-29, 22:34   Link #1957
Sassy_Bread
I'm umami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post

I'm sorry to veer more off-topic, but would it be more accurate to say that Japan is more open to emotional outbursts and PDAs for "Class S relationships" than to het relationships? I've heard from a site (for a webcomic whose based in Japan, info from the creator's friend who taught in Japan) that the guys and girls had considerable "skinship" with people the same sex as them. Awkward shyness was saved for people the opposite sex as them.

Btw, when is the next chapter of Force coming out? We still need to see the other girl of the trio (I forgot her name)...and whether or not teen!Vivio keeps her bunny...

소원을 말해봐...
Old 2009-05-29, 22:38   Link #1958
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Next issue of Nyantype (in which Force is serialized) is scheduled for July 30. Have fun waiting.
Old 2009-05-29, 22:48   Link #1959
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Bread View Post
I'm sorry to veer more off-topic, but would it be more accurate to say that Japan is more open to emotional outbursts and PDAs for "Class S relationships" than to het relationships? I've heard from a site (for a webcomic whose based in Japan, info from the creator's friend who taught in Japan) that the guys and girls had considerable "skinship" with people the same sex as them. Awkward shyness was saved for people the opposite sex as them.

Btw, when is the next chapter of Force coming out? We still need to see the other girl of the trio (I forgot her name)...and whether or not teen!Vivio keeps her bunny...
Teen Vivio? In force she'll be 12 at most.
Old 2009-05-29, 23:01   Link #1960
Dri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Teen Vivio? In force she'll be 12 at most.
Vivio is four years old in ViVid, so not even close. Physically she's more like 10-11 though, you'd be right. Teenager is a term that starts applying when you're 13, so she's getting there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Bread View Post

Yes, skinship is much more common in Japan. Just about every anime and even live-action series will show you this; public baths are commonplace and no one seems to be shy in them unless they're completely out of place. Men help each others wash their backs, that sort of stuff. And that's just one immediate example I can think of. I'm pretty sure anyone with any amount of Googling skills could look up articles on this and come up with interesting stuff.

Try those things in America, though. You'll get a big fat 'GAY' stamp on the forehead for even thinking about it. But in Japan? No problems with that at all. It's natural for people.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen