AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-19, 00:41   Link #1
curlyconnor

English Patch, anyone?

I've heard numerous discussions about how high in demand an English version of the original KgNE game is, so I've got to thinking: why don't a few dedicated fans (2) get together to make a freely distributed English patch for the CD/DVD-ROM versions. I know no Japanese, nor do I have the knowlege to write up a patch, but among all of the KgNE fans, there has to be at least one who can translate Kanji, and at least one who can somehow make a patch (or knows who can). Would anyone do this? Also, if making a patch is just impossible (and I honestly don't know, as I've never made one), could someone at least translate the dialogue and create a user-friendly English translation text file that people can follow along with while playing. This way, people who want to play the H-free PS2 and DC versions (myself included) can make use of it as well. Thank you!
Old 2004-06-19, 01:14   Link #2
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

It's not from lack of trying....most of us have tried to decompile the way Age does their packaging so we can translate it. However the issue that remains is that the DVD Spec based KimiNozo is far more complex than most other related ero's. I'm sure if given the time some noble fan could sit down and translate the dialog, however that is a very time consuming process having to go through the game entirely. This is why figuring out the packaging's encoding will expidite this along, by allowing us to extract the dialog itself would make it a lot easier to work with.

The patch, itself, shouldn't be too difficult to write given the history of these games...it's the act of getting it to work is what's making it difficult

There is hope though, if you do have the CD version you can download a text wrapper that supports this game called Oh Text... http://ohhara.sarang.net/ohthk

This program tries to capture the text and use an internet translation resource to translate, for the most part you'll be getting broken Engrish but at least it helps to understand the story. The problem is that this isn't supported with the DVD Spec version as all you will get is gibberish and repeated words.
Old 2004-06-19, 02:45   Link #3
arias

It's kind of depressing how Kanon is getting translated while KimiNozo is left rotting ;_; And I really don't mind playing the H-included PC version.. actually, I'd prefer to Isn't it... appreciating the game/story in its entirety?
Old 2004-06-19, 15:13   Link #4
unfunf

Kanon is getting translated? I need to get that game I loved Kanon anime.

If either myself or DarkCntry can ever figure out how the .rio file works (not a ram i/o file, I think... I think itm ust be some custom file type because I have seen no information on it anywhere) then one of us can go about translating... I would need someone who actually knows japanese because I do not know it myself, and I would end up resorting to babel fish, which is reasonably useless.

I have been talking to a few programmers about the .rio file and I will soon be in touch with people @ Georgia Institute of Technology as well as Emory. If anyone can figure it out, the people over there might be able to. Don't ask how I am able to get high up people doing stuff like this .

All I know so far is the key to translating is either in that huge .rio file, or in the rUGP.exe which uses numerous API calls, that I have not gone through totally. If anyone is willing to look inside rUGP.exe and list all the API calls it makes I can experiment with the custom functions and see if one of the text based ones is used to transmit text to the game. That would make the babel fish way of translating a lot more attractive alternative to trying to dissassemble the .rio file.
Old 2004-06-21, 08:12   Link #5
GUTB_

I hate to sound like a jerk, but, guys, seriously, none of us are programmers worth a damn. Let's be honest about that much right now: a real programmer wouldn't be crying about API calls and pack files. A real programmer would have simply opened the rio with a hex editor, cracked the encyption scheme within hours and be done with it. It took several months for real programmers to hack the Xbox file system. It would probably take just hours for a game.
Old 2004-06-22, 07:59   Link #6
unfunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB_
I hate to sound like a jerk, but, guys, seriously, none of us are programmers worth a damn. Let's be honest about that much right now: a real programmer wouldn't be crying about API calls and pack files. A real programmer would have simply opened the rio with a hex editor, cracked the encyption scheme within hours and be done with it. It took several months for real programmers to hack the Xbox file system. It would probably take just hours for a game.

sadly your incorrect. stop thinking you know everything. I know a lot of real programmers, ones that major in the field at emory and georgia tech. They cannot figure it out any better than I can. It's quite hard to crack the encryption for a file you have no information on. Programmers don't do that, despite what you may believe. Sure, there are exceptions, and those are usually done by programmers whom are dealing with .exe files and have a small amount of autistic savant syndrome in them (if you know what an autistic savant is).

Decrypting a huge custom file you have absolutely no information on is quite a task for anyone. Stop thinking you know anything about a programmer .
Old 2004-06-22, 11:08   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

You won't be seeing an English patch for Kimi ga Nozomu Eien anytime soon.

Why? The sheer ammount of dialogue and text in that game that would need to be translated is monumental. You're average graphic novel's/ero game's text files are less than 1MB in size (averaging around 750K), while Kimi ga Nozomu Eien's text file is in excess of 3MB. Basically, create a word document and see how many lines of text are needed to make a 3MB file and you'll have an idea of what would need to be done for Kimi ga Nozomu Eien to be translated.
Old 2004-10-25, 02:14   Link #8
Ace_Starleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunf
sadly your incorrect. stop thinking you know everything. I know a lot of real programmers, ones that major in the field at emory and georgia tech. They cannot figure it out any better than I can. It's quite hard to crack the encryption for a file you have no information on. Programmers don't do that, despite what you may believe. Sure, there are exceptions, and those are usually done by programmers whom are dealing with .exe files and have a small amount of autistic savant syndrome in them (if you know what an autistic savant is).

Decrypting a huge custom file you have absolutely no information on is quite a task for anyone. Stop thinking you know anything about a programmer .

don't know if you have tried this yet but...

on AGE's website you can download the source code for the riorha2.rpo plug-in used to access the .rio files, the only problem is that the newer games use a diffrent plug-in. I"ve tried using the older plug-in in the newer games and i only get so far before the game crashes, I assume this means the the files are similar in how they work, but enough has been changed that they are incompatiable. Maby one can figure out the .rio packfile from using this source code???

and in response to your post paper: I am a REALLY bored fan who would love to see this game translated, and thus i am translating it. Only problem at this point is releasing a patch.
Old 2004-10-25, 18:55   Link #9
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

You can always just pull a JAR and make up the words to what you feel like. It's got to be less work than translating the whole thing

And BTW Yes I liked reading the JAR version.
Closed Thread