AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-09, 01:30   Link #41
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One project I was on, one of the engineers cursed so much we believed he was physically unable to use a noun without the word "f---ing" in front of it. One of our more eloquent engineers (russian guy with the deep sardonic wit) challenged him "a dollar a curse word". He said "I can stop anytime I want" .... we ate and drank well every night for several weeks on his tab He did learn *how* not to curse (which was good during customer presentations :P)
...I think I would have felt too sorry for the guy to keep it up for several weeks.

I rarely swear around others - probably a good thing given that a few of my relatives are really conservative. I do tend to mutter curses under my breath when panicked or frustrated though. This means my computer used to receive a lot of cluster f-bombs. My new machine has received far fewer though. I'd like to claim that's because I named her after an anime girl and therefore have to treat her like a lady - but more likely, it's because Tsugumi, despite her borderline psycho namesake (hint: I named my 2GB flash drive after a hamster), is far faster and more reliable than some of the other PCs I've had in recent years.

I think I've also used "frack" on occassion, since I'm a BSG fan. Too lazy to learn any of the Chinese cursing from Firefly.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:41   Link #42
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I stop swearing after it wasn't cool anymore.
I only swears for humor sake or when something really really bad caught me offguard.
Prefer to be sarcastic with people instead of swearing at them.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 03:00   Link #43
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
About as much as Gordon Ramsay.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:08   Link #44
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
About as much as Gordon Ramsay.
same here, I only swear when I am pissed or when something really won't work the way I want it to
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 10:15   Link #45
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Think was a similar thread like this before but not sure on which board .

Generally people tend to create a pseudo persona on the Internet which is a stark 180 from there real selves . I generally dont do that the only difference between real life me and E is two things ,

- I don't have to be diplomatic and flash my pearls to every idiot I meet . I can choose to ignore without having any consequences .

- Second Swearing ...

Swearing, well amongst my friends I am known to have a sailor's mouth . Every sentence inexplicably begins or end with a cuss word . And everyone in my group swears but fortunately no one takes it literally . I remember we had just seen GodFather and for a week we wearing swearing in Italian with hand gestures from Gumba to Cazzo .

But when its on the net I avoid swearing like plague the reason being only immature people are known to abuse it . If the person is swearing the most likely he/she is 12 and probably she/he is really angry about nothing .

On the Internet I am cuss free ...
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 12:47   Link #46
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I only curse if I'm angry and some other instances, but I don't swear that much and not even when I write or discuss about things on blogs and forums.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 00:42   Link #47
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I don't usually curse/swear but if i do it is usually used for humour. Only those close to me get to hear/read me curse/swear though, i never use it at work or in conversation with strangers.

I have to blame the army for giving me the seed to swear in the first place. Everybody there use them as an adjective for describing anything and everything.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 00:55   Link #48
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I don't usually curse/swear but if i do it is usually used for humour. Only those close to me get to hear/read me curse/swear though, i never use it at work or in conversation with strangers.

I have to blame the army for giving me the seed to swear in the first place. Everybody there use them as an adjective for describing anything and everything.
Idealistically, a soldier would be able handle all forms of stress. But in reality it is practically impossible, so the soldier swears as a way to vent off a little stress to have more room for thinking.

People might not agree, but let me tell you this : Put a fresh infantryman in deep battlespace with less than 30% chance of survival. Let's see if he swears or not. It is the difficult encounters that induce stress. Smart ones would swear, vent a little and get going, while the useless ones would just break down.

Besides, I don't see anything wrong with swearing. It is just those puritans trying to up their ante in the definition of elitism, but acting is just the formation of a facade, what others look for is what you really are deep inside you.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 03:03   Link #49
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to Kylaran
Come to think of it, I've been using the word "Balls!" as an interjection ever since high school. usually elicits some giggles from the people around too.

*Drops something.* BALLS! *Hastily picks up the object in an awkward moment of public embarrassment.*
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 06:34   Link #50
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
How much to you curse or swear?
Rarely, especially IRL. I consider that it is wrong to swear/curse. As my mom says, cursing/swearing is unladylike (and she is quite strict about that xD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique
My situations typically involved:
extreme anger or extreme shock.
Same here...
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 06:56   Link #51
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
I'm a Clan Master in an MMO, and while I generally refrain from swearing on the Net, when we get together in the common chatroom in preparation for war....suffice it to say that I've been called "sergeant" by my clanmates, for a very good reason.

Yeah, it's a crude method, but nothing gets the blood going collectively quite like that does.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 08:04   Link #52
BASS in SPACE
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I do swear but I can control it, seeing as I do not do it in front of people I'm not familiar with. One thing I wish I could do, is swear in Hokkien or Hakka (Chinese dialects). Those swear words just seem to roll off the tongue like silk... Probably not the most appropriate comparison huh? Swearing in general does not bug me, however, swearing with religious references thrown in does, like others have already mentioned. This is especially true with the other more extreme version of G**D****T. You know, the one that looks veeeery similar to OMG except for the addition of one letter. Surprised it hasn't received a mention in this thread yet. I see it too often in online gaming.
BASS in SPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 12:02   Link #53
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England
Age: 20
I swear a lot, but I usually use it like if something bad happens ill say "of for f*cks sake" or if i drop something "shit" but usuall under my breath if there is people around.

I dont swear around people I should respect, children or elderly people...
__________________

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 12:18   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
...I think I would have felt too sorry for the guy to keep it up for several weeks.
After the first few days, it was more of a personal challenge for him when he started realizing just how much and how unconsciously he cursed.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 23:39   Link #55
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
I swear constantly, fuck and shit are probably two of the more common words out of my mouth but I'm also very good at censoring myself around parents/employers etc. I also generally don't swear on forums because I know some people flip out over it and it generally causes people to not take your posts seriously.
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:49   Link #56
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASS in SPACE View Post
I do swear but I can control it, seeing as I do not do it in front of people I'm not familiar with. One thing I wish I could do, is swear in Hokkien or Hakka (Chinese dialects). Those swear words just seem to roll off the tongue like silk... Probably not the most appropriate comparison huh? Swearing in general does not bug me, however, swearing with religious references thrown in does, like others have already mentioned. This is especially true with the other more extreme version of G**D****T. You know, the one that looks veeeery similar to OMG except for the addition of one letter. Surprised it hasn't received a mention in this thread yet. I see it too often in online gaming.
haha I swaer wrods in Hakka, I try to keep it in check when out tho, swearing in Hakka is the best!
It was my brother that taught me some words and I just kinda got into a habit of using them whenever really. I use a mix of chinese and british words mostly.
Parents aren't too fussed as long as its not excessive use. Only time its excessive is in the company of friends.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 01:18   Link #57
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
I find most forms of swearing to be deplorable. It shows a lack of vocabulary, for one. The trouble is, many people become so used to using a swear word instead of a proper noun or verb that when they try to kick the habit they have difficulty. Suddenly you need to think of an actual, varied word, instead of that one word you were using in every other sentence.

The more pressing reason for me is that it shows an insensitivity about the cursing person. I'm rather sensitive to the emotions of those around me (especially if I know a person well). Cursing, unless used comically (I'll get to that next), expresses a lot of anger. A person who curses over every little thing is, to me, someone who is not at peace. Each curse underlies a lot of negativity. I actively recognize that and dislike it; I wonder how many others are negatively impacted without really recognizing that their mental state was just littered on.

Cursing can be used to heighten a comical situation, but in my mind it is to words what slapstick is to comedy. That is, overexaggerated violence is funny, but actually going out and hurting someone is not. So it is with words.

I limit my curses to the times when I am very distressed or angered. They're quite rare, but when they're used there's no mistaking my condition. In my opinion, they should be reserved for those cases.

Rather than using curses, I've taken up other words and phrases to express minor frustration or venting. Terms like "garbage," "bother," "drat" (I'm not as colorful as Vexx in that regard) - they allow you to release some tension from within yourself, yet by virtue of being antiquated (or totally ridiculous) they'll often be found amusing to those around you. That's good - you've removed some of your own tension and in the process you've lightened the mood of the group. That's positive energy for you.

I'd ask that anyone who curses regularly please stop, or at least limit it to when you're in private. It's really unpleasant to the people around you, and the fact that so many people do it with abandon doesn't make it any better.

(And if you do it professionally, you're bound to suffer for it sooner or later. My lab is largely made up of Chinese from China, and they often speak Mandarin amongst each other. Eventually at one meeting, one of the lab directors blew up at one of the workers - unbeknownst to me and the other non-Chinese speaking member, that worker was constantly cursing in Chinese. The director - who speaks Chinese as well - tolerated it for a while, but apparently it was really grating on him. Needless to say, it was an awkward meeting, and the cursing member is no longer with us. So, to those of you who think that cursing in Japanese is cool, don't make it a habit, either - if you happen to work with a Japanese speaker, you'll be at risk.)
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 01:48   Link #58
Z. Kensei
Kensei??
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle,WA
I curse alot. When im playing sports, when im having fun, when im angry, during breakfast. Lol jk, but seriously i do cuss alot. In the word's of good general Patton:
Quote:
When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. ... As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence
__________________
Kensei~
Z. Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 02:49   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
... A person who curses over every little thing is, to me, someone who is not at peace. Each curse underlies a lot of negativity. I actively recognize that and dislike it; I wonder how many others are negatively impacted without really recognizing that their mental state was just littered on.
Aye, the radiation of emotional negativity was one reason I cut back a lot (really didn't fit into buddhist and related philosophy).

Quote:
Cursing can be used to heighten a comical situation, but in my mind it is to words what slapstick is to comedy. That is, overexaggerated violence is funny, but actually going out and hurting someone is not. So it is with words.
.... for some bizarre reason, the evocation of "Crudbunnies!" is inane (especially coming from me) and defuses tension.
Quote:
I'd ask that anyone who curses regularly please stop, or at least limit it to when you're in private. It's really unpleasant to the people around you, and the fact that so many people do it with abandon doesn't make it any better.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? Negative waves, Moriarty."

(One of my favorite characters in cinema...)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 02:54   Link #60
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I dont swear around people I should respect, children or elderly people...
Neither my dad nor I give a sh*t about this lol. I probably learned from him.

Come to think of it, I swore I would stop swearing if I get a girlfriend. I didn't so it just continued.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.