AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-11, 14:37   Link #21
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 29
I've taken flack from other people for being an anime fan in the past... I remember going into video shops and being made fun of by people because i bought anime...

But really it doesnt matter one thing ive learned gorwing up in america is that people will always look down on you if you do things out of the norm or are better than them at something. If your good in school, good with computers, good at art or have hobbies like anime, models and such fourth other people will look down on you .. but meh just keep doing what you like nobody else matters anyways.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 17:00   Link #22
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
I've taken flack from other people for being an anime fan in the past... I remember going into video shops and being made fun of by people because i bought anime...

But really it doesnt matter one thing ive learned gorwing up in america is that people will always look down on you if you do things out of the norm or are better than them at something. If your good in school, good with computers, good at art or have hobbies like anime, models and such fourth other people will look down on you .. but meh just keep doing what you like nobody else matters anyways.
Quoted for being the only truth.

After all, we don't live of what the others think of us, like my doctor says "Is one of the 300 things that don't interrupt my dreams".
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 17:58   Link #23
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tokyo 3, Japan
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
I've taken flack from other people for being an anime fan in the past... I remember going into video shops and being made fun of by people because i bought anime...

But really it doesnt matter one thing ive learned gorwing up in america is that people will always look down on you if you do things out of the norm or are better than them at something. If your good in school, good with computers, good at art or have hobbies like anime, models and such fourth other people will look down on you .. but meh just keep doing what you like nobody else matters anyways.
Anything that goes against what 'society' has deemed to be 'normal' will probably be ridiculed. Though what is 'normal' constantly changes with people and time. It probably links to the nature of people to be wary of what is strange to them.

Personally I never really had any problems growing up. I was actually introduced to anime by friends (as in identifying it as a show with foreign origin). Ah the days before Bit torrent and trading disks with your friends . Though it probably also had to deal with the social culture of Hawaii as well. It has a heavy asian influence (we had live-action subbed Japanese shows waaayyyy before Power Rangers . Go Kikaida!) and after I became aware of anime I came to notice that there were a LOT of stores around that sold related products (stupid limited money...).
__________________
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 18:14   Link #24
othera
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia,Queensland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
I've taken flack from other people for being an anime fan in the past... I remember going into video shops and being made fun of by people because i bought anime...
This would be the time I get most weird looks and stuff, When I'm browsing the anime section at a video shop :/ I've actually gotten a few smart ass comments like "the new barbies out over there" "maybe your little bro will like this" and such, But again I just ignore them : d
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 19:01   Link #25
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind you >:)
Age: 17
Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Well in America lots of pre-teens like myself and teenagers are into it. It's not consitered a geeky thing here, but it matters what you watch/read though. You would most likely be made fun of you you watch something stupid like bakugan, or bring yu-gi-oh cards and toys and naruto headbands or whatever. They're are some people that aren't fond of anime though, they just think its weird. The 60% of my friends hate anime, Sometimes they ask me "How can you watch that stuff?", but they never told me to stop watch anime or read manga. The other 30% of my friends just like to do anime-ish things together, like watch anime movies trade manga listen to OP and END of diffrent anime (Then theres the crack pairings and other stuff ).
__________________

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 19:20   Link #26
Yamada
Minori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post
You would most likely be made fun of you you watch something stupid like bakugan, or bring yu-gi-oh cards and toys and naruto headbands or whatever.
I think these are the types of things that make anime somewhat taboo. A few people make themselves out to be idiots because of their unbridled obsessions and then the stereotype is placed over the rest of the, dare I say it, 'normal' anime viewers.

Granted these stereotypes are being broken down slowly but surely with the increased exposure anime has been having in the Western world, but I think it'll still take quite some time until anime is really accepted in the main stream culture (if it ever truly happens at all).
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 20:44   Link #27
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the magical land of Moonswell pass
Age: 19
I've been made fun out of for liking games, anime and manga but not really anything big in fact some of my friends actually quite like my anime-esque drawings and praise it but I tend to not really like talking about anime with my friends in school because I sound like an idiot.
__________________

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 04:03   Link #28
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I think it comes down to what they perceive anime to be -- they could think it's just Yugioh and Pokemon still, for example. And then of course there are the otaku that just can't keep their fandom to themselves around people that couldn't care less about it.

Also the biggest perception issue -- a decent chunk of people I've met or seen in clubs have some moderate social issues to begin with ... where anime is probably a type of release or haven for them. So those people have some social stigma amongst others to start with.

What you watch can be part of it too, of course. I'm sure theres plenty of people that watch something like Shugo Chara lets say, that would be embarassed admitting/people seeing them watching it that wasn't also an anime fan.

I basically keep my fandom to myself in public, unless it's someone else I know that watches some shows. Or at most I will ask them if they watch any anime and leave it at that if they say no.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 04:57   Link #29
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
I've had pretty much the same experiences as Vexx. I don't think I've ever had any outright hostility directed at me due to anime, maybe some funny looks now and then but that's about it. There has always been at least some exposure to anime on American TV for as long as I can remember, even in the pre-cable era (yes I'm that old ). I think most of the negativity I experienced was due to the ridiculously bad dubs for the few anime titles that actually made it over to the US when I was younger (they have gotten quite a bit better in recent years though).
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 06:19   Link #30
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
I've been made fun out of for liking games, anime and manga but not really anything big in fact some of my friends actually quite like my anime-esque drawings and praise it but I tend to not really like talking about anime with my friends in school because I sound like an idiot.
When people in my college still talk about power rangers and collecting silverhawks figurines, I kinda feel like it's my duty to tell them that the times are changing...and so, whenever I see them now they talk about naruto, one piece and fullmetal alchemist-without that affecting their relationship with others at all.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 20:23   Link #31
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
If you are openly an anime fan then your only friends will be anime fans.

The same is true for anything else that is perceived as nerdy.

If you really care about your social standing, hang out with everyone and playfully make fun of your nerdy friends behind their backs and never let on to anyone that you're living a double life.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 20:37   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Your "social standing" depends on who you are standing next to.... do you *really* want to be "cool" with people who have no sense of imagination, spend their time trying to get laid or wasted, and spend money on the latest fashions?

Or would you rather talk to people who can make complete sentences, know how a computer works, won't look at you blankly if you mention a Shakespeare play. As long as you haven't filled your brain with *just* anime but also filled it with all sorts of other activities and knowledge - you'll be all right and you'll be more likely to have people around you who don't make you ill.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 20:42   Link #33
killer911
Hikikomori
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A
Age: 22
The idiots at my school think that anime is just porn (And I DO correct them, telling them its called hentai). I constantly tell them that anime isn't just porn, but they're too stupid to listen to intelligent things I have to say.
killer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 23:13   Link #34
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
If you are openly an anime fan then your only friends will be anime fans.

The same is true for anything else that is perceived as nerdy.

If you really care about your social standing, hang out with everyone and playfully make fun of your nerdy friends behind their backs and never let on to anyone that you're living a double life.
I don't think there are people whose ONLY interest is anime...you can watch anime and still play table tennis, soccer or TCGs, go clubbing, dance, cook or whatever.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 23:50   Link #35
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer911 View Post
The idiots at my school think that anime is just porn (And I DO correct them, telling them its called hentai). I constantly tell them that anime isn't just porn, but they're too stupid to listen to intelligent things I have to say.
Quit correcting 'em, start ignoring 'em. Rest assured that at that point, they're not going to listen no matter what you say, so don't waste any effort.

I'm another one of the (it seems to be the prevailing stance, if I recall from another thread) "won't advertise the fact, but if the subject comes up, won't deny it" camp. Perhaps it's where I live and/or the classes I'm in, but I've found a lot of people I talk to actually watch anime themselves, although much more casually than I do.

Then again, I've only been an anime fan for about a year, but I haven't encountered any real trouble yet and don't expect to in the future, at least not from people whose opinion I care about.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 00:05   Link #36
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
I have to say, anime is incredibly unpopular among teachers and parents. They go nuts when kids try to watch! Which I don't really understand, since I think anime's just like movies - you can feel and learn. Adults just ahve a thing against anime and manga - they say they're violent, dirty and etc, etc. They obviously don't have any idea how many kinds of anime are out there - how many series have been produced.

But I haven't encountered any real haters - probably because I'm in Japan and Korea, where anime's very popular.
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 09:09   Link #37
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 27
Not a taboo, more like just a usual nerd thing. It fits my image so I don't hide it from anyone I know, and they don't dislike me for it. :P
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 11:40   Link #38
Konpachi
Sinear Mambur
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Look behind you...
I LIVE IN SINGAPORE TOO!

(Yea, totally no input to the thread.)
Konpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 11:59   Link #39
atlantiza
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland, US
At my school, people that watch anime are grouped in by others and are referred to as "the anime people" or similar names. None of them have decent tastes as far as I've seen (Naruto, Bleach, other mainstream American anime) and their reputation is not positive. It's quite rude of me to say it probably, but they are definitely weird, and it has nothing to do with their anime tastes. Whether they associated with anime or not, I would not want to be associated with them. For this reason, I don't really tell people at school that I have anything to do with anime. It's not worth it, to be honest.
atlantiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 11:59   Link #40
Anisha93
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: india
Age: 21
Geez, in india, you don't find many anime/manga viewers and many have the same misconception that anime is for kids, in my class me and 3 others are the only ones interested , however(and unfortunately)others aren't exactly otaku because the are into hentai for porn stuff only! If we tell anyone about our interest, we'll get comments like kiddish or grab some kiddy stuff from them etc. But there are conventions in malls only in a city called Bombay(i used to live there but got transferred) and you find many otaku in south region. There is no sign of anime in north part of the country.
__________________
Anisha93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.