AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-25, 18:22   Link #1
lemareschaldavout
Inactive Member

Odd problem

Hi all,
For some reason I haven't been able to pick up remote peers in about a week. Previous to this my pc was connecting to peers normally. I'm running WinXP with firewall off, router with correct port range open on an ADSL home line. I've been using TheShad0w's client, which has been giving me d/l of about 50 kb/s average on the green light but now typically runs at no more than 7 kb/s showing a yellow light. u/l speed is unaffected. Since this started I upgraded the ethernet driver (VIA II), installed the latest version of the client, tried another client (can't remember which one ATM), but nothing seems to have had any effect. I've tried half a dozen torrents from various groups.
I haven't changed my system configuration, but I do remember accepting some automatic upgrades from windows upgrade around the same time frame. Other than that I've only installed a couple of games. It's been suggested to me that the upgrade is the culprit, but I seem to be the only one with this problem. So it seems that this has happened without any config changes or behavioral changes on my part. Anyone have any ideas?
lemareschaldavout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 21:51   Link #2
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemareschaldavout
For some reason I haven't been able to pick up remote peers in about a week. Previous to this my pc was connecting to peers normally. I'm running WinXP with firewall off, router with correct port range open on an ADSL home line.
You didn't say if your router is forwarding to the right private netmasked IP address. Check your PC's IP address again (type 'ipconfig' in a DOS box), and make sure that your router configuration shows that you're forwarding the ports to that address.

In the past, I let my router assign IP addresses dynamically via DHCP to all four computers in my home. I ran into a problem similar to yours because one day the router (for whatever reason) assigned a different IP address to the PC that I was using as a game server, which resulted in none of my friends being able to connect to the game server over the internet.

So if your problem is the same as mine, I suggest you manually assign your PC a static IP address, and set the router to forward to that address. Just make sure that the static IP is outside of the range that can be assigned dynamically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemareschaldavout
I haven't changed my system configuration, but I do remember accepting some automatic upgrades from windows upgrade around the same time frame.
If what I suggested above was not the cause of your problem, then try checking your network device's Properties to make sure that you don't have any VPN (virtual private network) services running.

Go Start button --> Control Panel --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection (or whatever network device you're using, like ADSL)

If you see any network services that have 'VPN' in it, just uncheck the checkbox, or Uninstall if you know that you won't need it.

Well, give those two suggestions a try, and let us know if you still need help.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 22:45   Link #3
lemareschaldavout
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour-Do
You didn't say if your router is forwarding to the right private netmasked IP address. Check your PC's IP address again (type 'ipconfig' in a DOS box), and make sure that your router configuration shows that you're forwarding the ports to that address.
This turned out to be it. I had looked at the DHCP table, too, and never noticed the change. Thanks much for the help!
lemareschaldavout is offline   Reply With Quote