AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-19, 08:57   Link #81
Ottocycle

I do think they've managed to keep the feeling that school can be some of the most fun times one can ever have, and the lead cast has certainly enjoyed the hell out of them. It might be a bit meta to take the ups and downs of the series' quality as a representation of that, but I guess it's an unintended bonus for me, since the show is the way we ride out the times with them. There were good times and bad, but at the end of it all it was an enjoyable ride.

The studio has showed that twice, and I hope to say 'and counting'.
Engeki, saikooooooou!!
Mou ikkai!
Old 2009-06-19, 09:17   Link #82
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
I wonder how many will be depressed and commit suicide after this season ends....based on Sankaku opinions lots of NEETS and anime freaks have all their life into this.

My suggestion.....buy a dakimakura of this and infatuate yourself with it. On a different note glad this show is over....too much MOE AND NOT WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY NOT ENOUGH MUSIC! Who cares about the wait. Who cares about Yui MOE AND ALL OTHER CRAP! Music is music and nothing more.

Man going back to VAN HALEN! PANAMA! YEAH!
You know, they REALLY laid of the Mio Moe thing after the first half of the season. This episode was alright, but after watching the new Haruhi last night and then this, I think KyoAni is putting the K-on! budget to Haruhi now lol. 7/10. Bland episode and as said, profile singing scared me :P.
Old 2009-06-19, 09:20   Link #83
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

alright, after watching it 1 more time I tried my best to overlook the failed side-facial animations of the concert, if you omit that the concert itself has the best one of the three and even though it doesn't even scratch the surface of GOD KNOWS it does a good enough job to leave a good impression on me. K-ON was an enjoyable anime, it could've been way better if it wasn't considered a side project for KyoAni unlike Haruhi or their Key adaptations but for know it remains one of the most enjoyable shows for me this season.
Here is to oping the blu ray editions fix the quality in the animation. Final score for K-ON....i would say approx 9/10....KyoAni did not disappoint in the most part.
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2009-06-19, 09:49   Link #84
Ichiban Hayai

From the shows I was following this season this was the only one I will miss.

The final episode was rewarding for me, both with the performance and the touching moments between the club members. Plus a couple of good laughs (fever hallucinations anyone?)

Ow well, there is still ep 13...
Old 2009-06-19, 09:50   Link #85
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
three things
1)mio >>>> yui on vocals
2)really great ep, loved the fuua fuua time this time more then the first time, becouse its felt more alive
3)whats the new song they sing right before fuua fuua time ? (really liking it)
Old 2009-06-19, 09:56   Link #86
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Wow. So the lead guitarist's SISTER plays better then her, the freshman that just joined the club plays better then her, but she's still the lead guitarist.

And what band plays anything, encore or not, with their backs to the audience?
In music, you can play something with absolute precision, exactly as written, but still suck. Or you can play sloppy, not keep perfect time, play different notes, and it'd be the greatest thing the audience has heard.

An extreme (and unfair) comparison would be: compare a typical MIDI song to say Jimi Hendrix playing the national anthem.
(personally, i think Hendrix's rendition started out good, but went a bit too far on its drug dazed path.)

Its all about the emotion. Yui isn't technically competent, probably not really musically competent, but she is the emotion of that K-ON performance. They've grown accustomed to her antics, her quirky musical nuances, and they notice it when it is missing.

Why didn't they drop the obviously inferior Yui for Ui, or make the highly skilled Azusa lead guitar?

Ritsu: Everyone likes you ,Yui.

Why did they play the encore with their backs to the audience, facing each other?

That's a no brainer. As much as I wanted it to be, K-ON has never been about the performance, its been about 5 girls having fun and playing together.
Sorry guys, Mugi gets them all to herself.

With that being said...

This show leaves me questioning the executive ability of Kyoto Animation, the core concept, the hook, theme, whatever you want to call it is there (5 girls having fun). The characters were there, the antics were there. The execution of spinning this light hearted tale was flawless in places, but in other places it was just bad.

K-on could have been much better.
Old 2009-06-19, 09:56   Link #87
stubby42

God you guys are downers.

This episode was amazing.

P.S Rice_slayer

Quote:
I think KyoAni is putting the K-on! budget to Haruhi now lol.
The film and tv industry doesnt work like that, both shows are technically made by two seperate companies, not kyoAni. When ever a film company/tv company starts a new project they make a new company that is a subsidury of the parent company. So in the case of K-on! it would be something like K-on! productions, the reason they do this is because if the project is a finanical flop then the assests for the subsidury company are taken not the parent company KyoAni. It basically offers them legal protection.

When KyoAni was seaking to make these two shows they either got investors to come on board or they were allocated money from the networks commissioning budget, usually a network will have a meeting once a year to tell all the companies that they want a certain amount of programs of a certain type then the company will have to come back with a pitch and a budget they need to make the show.

Either way each program are completely seperate companies with completely seperate budgets and they cant move a budget from one company to another.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:13   Link #88
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
how about studio Sunrise?,
i thought they were doing "magic" with by doing both Code Geass & Gundam 00 at the same time with Tales of the Abyss & Gintama?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-06-19, 10:18   Link #89
stubby42

Studio sunrise will be the parent company, Code Geass and Gundam 00, Tales of the Abyss, Gintama will be listed as code geass productions and Gundam 00 productions, Tales of the Abyss productions, Gintama productions. All three seperate companies owned by studio Sunrise.

Its all just a legal formality, they are sunrise productions with sunrise staff but on paper their separate companies and after the series are done those tempory companies will be shut down.

Its just standard practice through out the industry, the main company e.g sunrise owns all the equipment and will be renting it out to code geass productions so if that program fails or runs into legal troubles the main company will still hold its studios and its property (such as computers and cameras).
Old 2009-06-19, 10:26   Link #90
Lostdreams

I take K-On! as it was presented. A light hearted comedy anime, with lots of moe and a theme of friendship. It wasn't like I was looking for something life changing while I was watching this anime, I was just looking to have a good time, which I got. This anime made me laugh, made me laugh some more, and made me have a good experience with the moe. I think this anime deserves a little more credit.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:33   Link #91
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

K-on is nice to watch week by week, but I wouldn't have liked to marathon it. Although nothing much happens each episode, it's a nice relax and brainless (meaning your brain can be turned off while watching or multi-task) show. It's a better of its genre, moe-school-girls-doing-cute-things genre. I won't even call it an music anime, it's moe.

It's not the most imaginative ending ever, but it matches the show, so I guess it's one fine ending.

I don't think the face is deformed, it is suppose to look like that. If they did it in the usual style, then the frames wouldn't flow into each other and Yui wouldn't look like she's singing with all her might. Because that one frame needs to flow into another frame with her mouth closed. KyoAni might have done rotoscoping, hence the 'style' might looked a bit different. As you see the only parts where the face looks 'deform' is when the character is singing 'powerfully'.

The concert scene is no God Knows, but it's still a good concert scene. Fuwa fuwa time isn't the best song ever either. I liked the song Mio sang first.

There's still one episode to go, but I don't think I'll be missing K-on next season.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:46   Link #92
Soelke
Not heat. Photon laser.

I always looked forward to watching K-On! every week. Like musume_no_hoshi said, it couldn't compare to God Knows, but it was still a good way to end the show. I always liked how light-hearted it was, and the animation was a remeniscense of a combination of Clannad mixed together. At times, I wanted to jump through the screen and give the characters a hug because they're all so cuuute

Although I'm used to watching lengthier series, I'll be looking forward to episode 13, and hopefully, a second season ^-^
Old 2009-06-19, 10:59   Link #93
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Appropriate enough for them to end the show with a song titled fluffy. Really the show never tried to be more then fluff and as fluff goes this was pretty enjoyable to watch every week.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-06-19, 11:23   Link #94
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

enjoyable ep. though the lack of a live "Don't say Lazy" performance was a letdown. Ui trying to be Yui cracked me up.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:25   Link #95
faervas

It was a perfect slice of life ending. slice of life is like you are you cut out events that happen in some ones life. It never really has a completely resolved big ending. most of the time it's just has everyone walk off. starting the next banal thing in there lives. As far a the deformed faces it looks like the artist were over reaching. I can imagine in their eye's they thought they were doing something great. they got stuck in their own technical accomplishment they were blinded to the creepiness that it really was. I think they were making the exact shapes the mouth forms to pronounce the words. In doing so the thickness of the lips were added, go look at someone really singing. some people distort their features like that. We also have the memory of the characters talking in profile which is just small shape that looks like a hole opening and closing.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:33   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A sweet, charming end for a sweet charming "days in the life of" little series. Not a blockbuster, but an example of a relaxed little portrayal of a group of people coming together as a team. Just the thing for an exhausted salaryman to blob out with after a hard day at the office.

A bit too much hate seems to be percolating about what is really a mild little story.
Still rating each individual episode but at the moment my feeling towards the series is a respectable "8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeTheme View Post
I was like WTF when I saw those scenes in the Anime lol... seriously I don't see why KyoAni would let that pass... or was that intentional?
Maybe they were channeling Mick Jagger... It'll be interesting to see if it stays in the DVD releases - that'll tell us whether they were trying to be artistic/stylistic or not. You know if you watch real japanese singers from the side, their faces *do* contort somewhat like that when they're really into the song. Example: watch some of Kotoko's music videos or concerts.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-19 at 11:48.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:54   Link #97
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Anyone give this Ep a 10/10 because "Don't say Lazy" sounds freaking great after the actual school performances?
Cause i do

Minus points:
- the side face during the the performance. Come on!! Wth is it?
- 2nd half plot is ordinary
- not enough Mio
- not enough Mio's singing
- not enough stunning performance. I like the idea that the ending is actually with the performance of "Don't say Lazy" in Budokan

Plus points:
- Ui, she really took everything from her older sister . Identical twin? Wow, and i thought they only looked similar. Must be the real highlight of Ep
- Mio's madness eyes
- Ritsu's drumming on her bag
- Tsumugi's dressing show
- "Don't say lazy" (as mentioned above)
Old 2009-06-19, 12:14   Link #98
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

Minus points:
- not enough Mio
- not enough Mio's singing
- not enough stunning performance. I like the idea that the ending is actually with the performance of "Don't say Lazy" in Budokan
I didn't even think Mio would get a chance to sing this episode, so I was pretty excited when they showed the first song. Didn't expect it at all. Raged at 2 things though: the obvious reason, zomgthoselips and only showing Yui running during Mio's song ... (but then again that might have been better than showing more of those lips)
Old 2009-06-19, 12:17   Link #99
Ryo K

I can't belive that ppl still find things to bitch about, aww, you were dissappointed? aww, you didn't like the profile shots during the performance? bitchbitchbitch. srsly, STFU.
Old 2009-06-19, 12:19   Link #100
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
In music, you can play something with absolute precision, exactly as written, but still suck. Or you can play sloppy, not keep perfect time, play different notes, and it'd be the greatest thing the audience has heard.

An extreme (and unfair) comparison would be: compare a typical MIDI song to say Jimi Hendrix playing the national anthem.
(personally, i think Hendrix's rendition started out good, but went a bit too far on its drug dazed path.)

Its all about the emotion. Yui isn't technically competent, probably not really musically competent, but she is the emotion of that K-ON performance. They've grown accustomed to her antics, her quirky musical nuances, and they notice it when it is missing.
Yup very true, but it's also very true that Yui is a naturalist. Those two and the others can play by reading notes and doing precision, but I highly doubt they can do it just by hearing it. The others practice and focus, but Yui just goes with the flow. The best musicians in the world aren't those who just practice to repeat back exactly what the notes intended,but rather are the ones who can get into the music and take it to an even high lvl. ANYWAYS, Yui = naturalist, but she is just an ALL OVER THE PLACE CHARACTER!
Closed Thread