AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-19, 23:44   Link #161
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
No matter how many times people go against the grain here, lightly or not, I've never seen them ever ask the people who like the show how they could, just, well, LIKE IT, but the opposite is something that becomes a recurring activity. The people who do like it start asking "How could you not like it?" like there's something wrong with those that do.
(emphasis mine)

I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. People who dislike the show are constantly pointing how the show fails at being all sorts of things it wasn't trying to be, so "therefore" the show sucks. Well, wait a minute. Sucks at what? Sucks at being the show that person wanted it to be? Sure, no problem. People have reasons they dislike something, obviously; no sweat. But the problem arises when people imply that it "fails at being a good show" simply because it wasn't what they wanted.

I think everyone should bring on all the reasons why they felt the show wasn't enjoyable to them. But don't tell me "the show sucked", because that's making your personal feelings the show's fault. Tell me "I didn't enjoy it and here's why". If people would only state their opinions properly, we wouldn't have this sort of problem. The problems most people have with this show are not objective flaws, they're subjective preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hi, please don't try that argument ... simply by posting here when you discuss a series, YOU regard yourself as a critic. That's why everyone posts here -- they're doing critical analysis, whether they think so or not. This forum is a "shared blog" in a manner of speaking.
Hi, I'm going to try that argument. I don't regard myself as a critic. I regard myself as just someone watching the show trying to share my experiences and explain why impressions and feelings when watching the show. A critic is trying to evaluate the work and describe, in objective terms, its qualities. I, for one, am only trying to describe my own reactions and possible reasons for those feelings. So, no, not everyone who comes here sees themselves as a critic, and it annoys me to no end that people act like everyone is aspiring to be one whether they know it or not. The world has enough critics; I just want to be a fan and talk about what I like, thank you very much. Everyone has their own reasons for being here.


I'm not trying to say this show is perfect by any means, or that I enjoyed everything about it -- I didn't. And I'm not saying that I don't want to hear people's dissenting opinions -- sure I do, because maybe we have stuff in common! But this "defending the right to be a critic" stuff is the same every time it comes up, and there's always two sides to the story.


And here I thought I wasn't going to get into this again...
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:45   Link #162
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappa View Post
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. Sometimes, you're used to a certain format. I was thinking it was like the transition from Sunday Newspaper comics (not the best example I know) to something like an animated show. There might be a disconnect when watching it in animated form. Like why did they leave out certain scenes, etc.

I agree with you on them being too hasty. It's also a problem with these short shows with 13 episodes or less. You have to create filler sometimes that do not have anything to do with the story and it might not flow as well as the manga. There's always a risk it becomes big like K-ON and you can tell that these days many shows are getting extra seasons to satisfy the fanbase.
Another strike (to me) for the anime is that KyoAni gambled with a rookie cast. In this aspect, I admit I'm a snob: I'm willing to give a stellar voice cast more leeway than a rookie team, given the same level of writing in the script. Take Lucky Star and Hidamari for example. Hirano Aya was a good anchor for the three rookies (at the time.), while the other three girls of Hidamari complimented Yuno's seiyuu (also a rookie).
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:48   Link #163
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappa View Post
I see my post went right over your head. That or you just plain didn't read it and were just waiting for an opportunity to use snark in post without substance.
Woah there spanky, don't get ahead of yourself~

Quote:
However, I don't continue watching them and log on every week to write an essay primarily on what I would consider the negatives of each show and how it was not what I was expecting and still isn't till the very last episode. Then rate it as the crap I thought it was just cause I enjoy the torture and want to spread the joy of it.
This is why your post proved my point.

Reckoner, Kaioshin, Meotwister, or even myself never came in here and said this show was crap (let alone 'rate' it). You also manage to put us down just by saying that what we're essentially doing is 'enjoying the torture' and 'spreading the joy of it'.

Really?

I mean, really?



Quote:
I hope you can understand as I'm just stating my honest opinion.
Sure thing buddy.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:50   Link #164
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
I think I'm starting to understand why I post less and less on these forums nowadays. Every other popular subforum is tending towards becoming not unlike the Code Geass ones, with the negative-players being so strident about their negativity that Zetsubou-sensei would have a field day....and with certain people happily being a negative-player here even when they've gotten their fair share of grief from negative-players from other subforums without even realizing the inherent hypocrisy.

But, you know. That's the Internet for you. That's ASuki for you.
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:51   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Hi, I'm going to try that argument. I don't regard myself as a critic. I regard myself as just someone watching the show trying to share my experiences and explain why impressions and feelings when watching the show. A critic is trying to evaluate the work and describe, in objective terms, its qualities. I, for one, am only trying to describe my own reactions and possible reasons for those feelings. So, no, not everyone who comes here sees themselves as a critic, and it annoys me to no end that people act like everyone is aspiring to be one whether they know it or not. The world has enough critics; I just want to be a fan and talk about what I like, thank you very much. Everyone has their own reasons for being here.
But.... you just criticized my definitions. And you're not a critic?
Really that's what I'm saying -- simply by sharing those feelings and evaluating a series --- you're critiquing that series.
1) share my experiences and explain why impressions and feelings when watching the show.
2) A critic is trying to evaluate the work and describe, in objective terms, its qualities.
I see those two items as exactly the same thing, one just may be a hair more formal than the other (but often isn't if you watch professional critics just decorate their emotional response).
When someone asks me what I thought about a movie -- they're asking me for my critique. I've always thought of the forum as an analogue to a book club where people share a book, talk about what they thought of it, debate, and critique. If that is incorrect.... hmmmm.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:55   Link #166
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(emphasis mine)

I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. People who dislike the show are constantly pointing how the show fails at being all sorts of things it wasn't trying to be, so "therefore" the show sucks. Well, wait a minute. Sucks at what? Sucks at being the show that person wanted it to be? Sure, no problem. People have reasons they dislike something, obviously; no sweat. But the problem arises when people imply that it "fails at being a good show" simply because it wasn't what they wanted.
No one said the show sucked.

Frankly put, if a show really does suck *coughQueen'sBladecough* I'm pretty sure noone would sit through it until the end.

There was just things we liked and things we didn't. I'm pretty sure no one just flat out remarked that the show sucked, and even with implications we acknowledge that the show is enjoyable and entertaining.

I dropped the notion that the show was a musically centered series, but I still held firm to the fact that it could have been much more special (for the lack of a better word) had they possibly went with that angle in a better fashion. Some people felt misleaded, others noted it's just standard fare, but the extreme end of saying the show sucked, or worse, that's something I believe no one ended up declaring.

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:57   Link #167
Parappa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
This is why your post proved my point.

Reckoner, Kaioshin, Meotwister, or even myself never came in here and said this show was crap (let alone 'rate' it). You also manage to put us down just by saying that what we're essentially doing is 'enjoying the torture' and 'spreading the joy of it'.

Really?

I mean, really?
You prove my point too. If you don't like the show, why did you continue watching it? Where's your 'drop show' common sense?

It's illogical to continue watching a show and posting about it if you dislike it. Completely illogical.
Parappa is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 23:57   Link #168
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I think I'm starting to understand why I post less and less on these forums nowadays. Every other popular subforum is tending towards becoming not unlike the Code Geass ones, with the negative-players being so strident about their negativity that Zetsubou-sensei would have a field day....and with certain people happily being a negative-player here even when they've gotten their fair share of grief from negative-players from other subforums without even realizing the inherent hypocrisy.

But, you know. That's the Internet for you. That's ASuki for you.
*drops a bone at your feet before begining to dig a hole in the ground*

WAN WAN~

__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:00   Link #169
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappa View Post
You prove my point too. If you don't like the show, why did you continue watching it? Where's your 'drop show' common sense?

It's illogical to continue watching a show and posting about it if you dislike it. Completely illogical.
Woah there Spock.

I said there's things I LIKED and things I DID NOT LIKE. Perhaps I saw them as flaws, but it was never enough to deter me from fully disliking the show and just casting it aside. In the end I liked Yui, but disliked Mio. The humor grew on me, but I wish there was more character development. It goes hand in hand. I'm capable of accepting things I don't like while still taking in things I enjoy.

Why you think otherwise is beyond me though.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:04   Link #170
Parappa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Woah there Spock.

I said there's things I LIKED and things I DID NOT LIKE. Perhaps I saw them as flaws, but it was never enough to deter me from fully disliking the show and just casting it aside. In the end I liked Yui, but disliked Mio. The humor grew on me, but I wish there was more character development. It goes hand in hand. I'm capable of accepting things I don't like while still taking in things I enjoy.

Why you think otherwise is beyond me though.
Because most of your posts were criticisms that skewed heavily towards the negative. If you believe the show had more negative points to it than positive I cannot see the point of continuing to view it.

I also did not glean your 'enjoyment' from reading your posts.
Parappa is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:06   Link #171
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
'Skewed towards the negative'.

Is that what you call an opinion?

You say that like people can't even enjoy guilty pleasures (which this show was not, it was above that imo).

Quote:
I also did not glean your 'enjoyment' from reading your posts.
Ok, I'm going to stop. This is getting to get out of hand, and you clearly think I've got psychological issues of some sort for disliking and liking a show at the same time so I won't bother with it for the sake of this threa continuing onward.

Sorry relentless / random mod.

:P
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:08   Link #172
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Let's end this here please. I'm already sick of it. -_-
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:09   Link #173
Parappa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Let's end this here please. I'm already sick of it. -_-
I end it here or it'll go on all night and weekend. I'll just say I enjoyed the show very much and didn't nitpick it to death or desire it to be something it wasn't. Good Night.
Parappa is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:16   Link #174
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. People who dislike the show are constantly pointing how the show fails at being all sorts of things it wasn't trying to be, so "therefore" the show sucks. Well, wait a minute. Sucks at what? Sucks at being the show that person wanted it to be? Sure, no problem. People have reasons they dislike something, obviously; no sweat. But the problem arises when people imply that it "fails at being a good show" simply because it wasn't what they wanted.

I think everyone should bring on all the reasons why they felt the show wasn't enjoyable to them. But don't tell me "the show sucked", because that's making your personal feelings the show's fault. Tell me "I didn't enjoy it and here's why". If people would only state their opinions properly, we wouldn't have this sort of problem. The problems most people have with this show are not objective flaws, they're subjective preferences.
Hmm... What?

Obviously if one dislikes a show, the show isn't being what they want it to be. By your logic, a person watching the show cannot decide if it is a failure of art as long as a show is popular. I call shenanigans!

Look, from a business perspective, this show wasn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination. However, from an artistic perspective, I do think it is a failure. Others may disagree, and we can discuss different points regarding this.

The only objective flaws that are possible to discuss are the technical aspects of a show. I do not think this merits huge talking ponts. So the animation wasn't 100%, or the story didn't exemplify good continuity, but as we get past these things (Some minor, some a little more major), it really all comes down to subjective preferences.

Do professional critics in the movie industry go to a movie and say "Hey this movie has no technical flaws, so it is not bad!" No, of course these people are going to attack everything about it possible. Things like "grabbing the audience" or making someone "emotionally involved" are just a couple of things you hear in many movie reviews, but not everyone agrees because it is all subjective preference.

K-ON! is a failure to me. To you it isn't. That is perfectly fine. That's why we even discuss in such forums. If we weren't interested in other people's opinions, we would not bother reading a forum to discuss a show. I don't expect you and others to conform to my opinion, I have much better things to do in life than trying to persuade everyone here...

But don't expect me to say to myself that this show "is what it is" when it clearly protrayed itself in many different lights to me a viewer. Again, this comes down to subjective preference because people will say that it did or that it didn't.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:18   Link #175
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But.... you just criticized my definitions. And you're not a critic?
A critic of anime? I don't tend to think so. But, a critic of this line of logic? Abso-frickin-lutely. Because understanding the way arguments are received helps us come to a better understanding of each other, and that's ultimately my primary goal: that, through the discussion, we understand each other. That's the same reason why I'm letting myself be so passionate about this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Really that's what I'm saying -- simply by sharing those feelings and evaluating a series --- you're a critic.
1) share my experiences and explain why impressions and feelings when watching the show.
2) A critic is trying to evaluate the work and describe, in objective terms, its qualities.
I see those two items as exactly the same thing, one just may be a hair more formal than the other (but often isn't if you watch professional critics).
When someone asks me what I thought about a movie -- they're asking me for my critique I've always thought of the forum as an analogue to a book club where people share a book, talk about what they thought of it, debate, and critique. If that is incorrect.... hmmmm.
Then, by that definition, shall we say that it's a matter of tactfulness in the approach? I do perceive a rather immense difference between someone who comes into a thread and says "This episode is just awful, and here are the reasons why...", and someone who says "I didn't really enjoy this episode, because I was hoping for..." You might say "they're both critiques", but what is the net effect? One is threatening ("I'm right and let me tell you why...") and the other is more neutral ("Let me share my thoughts...").

Whenever this argument comes up, it seems to me that it always comes down to the very same thing. You have people who read arguments intellectually, and people who read arguments emotionally. That isn't to say one is "smart" and the other isn't; it's a personality issue. People who present intellectual arguments tend to be lighter on "tact" in favour of providing objective justifications for their arguments. People who present emotional perspectives/arguments tend to content themselves with just sharing their feelings without a huge need to find some objective cause for it (i.e. "liking something is reason enough").

When the two clash, we have this problem: Emotional people who don't like seeing the harmony disrupted by people who keep wanting to "prove they're right" (actually: demonstrate that their arguments have merit), and intellectual people who get all offended that their right to express a negative opinion is being threatened by, what they see as, fanboys and yes-men (actually: usually people who don't understand why you'd watch something you "seem" to dislike so much).

Anyway, all that to say, neither personality type wants or expects the other to go away, they each want the other to be more like them in typical Pygmalion fashion. Of course I'm no exception in that regard, partly because stamping out these sorts of arguments is what I'm supposed to do (and I do realize that I've helped encourage it again this time -- I hope you'll forgive me for having my limits).

Regardless, this is what I feel the issue is in this thread, but obviously discussing it more here is beyond the scope of the topic. But I hope at least this helps to explain, especially to those presenting the intellectual "objective" arguments, why they've provoked a reaction. I don't think it's at all because anyone wants to shut up disagreement; I think it's about the emotional way the arguments are received. And if we want to really have some measure of peace and harmony, even when topics are contentious, I think we at least need to understand where we're all coming from.

I'll leave it at that so as to not derail the topic further, though I wouldn't mind continuing this broader discussion if another suitable venue was found. I do think this is an important issue.
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:21   Link #176
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post

I assume you regard yourself as a literary (and media) critic?

I don't know what bitter world you live in but just like TheBigN said:
Well yes of course I do otherwise I wouldn't be posting. If I didn't have the belief that I could be a critic I would keep mum like some of our lurker members. As for a bitter world, I don't know if that's the case, but I admit that I'm not a very emotional person nor do I really need to watch anime to feel better. I watch it because it's a little extra fun at the end of my day, but I'm normally very well balanced in terms of mood.

Quote:

That means something to us girls and I don't know if you've ever been a teenager but that's how we feel and makes us feel better (well, the most anyway).

I can't speak for the female population because I am of course a male, nor will I try to, but yes of course I have been a teenager and still am a kid at heart in more respects then I would normally be willing to admit. I haven't given up on having fun nor will I ever, but excluding episode 08 I didn't have as much fun as I could have with K-On. It's good that many people had the best of times with this show, but unfortunately I can't sidestep the fact that in the end it just didn't mean a whole lot to me.

Now I have a question for some people. We've established and I think agreed upon, be it cynically or jubilantly, that:

- This show was trying to be a straight up moe series
- That it concerned itself little with character development
- That it just wanted to be "light and fluffy."

What if even in recognizing that as K-On's purpose a viewer still doesn't find it a satisfying show? What if a viewer doesn't find that these points about the shows nature warrant the serious reflection that Yui gave near the end of the episode and that it doesn't fit in with the whole light and fluffy nature of the rest of the series? What exactly did Yui expect the viewer to feel? What if the viewer didn't feel any sort of relation to her monologue nor did they feel it was well led up to to give it that sort of feel good vibe it was going for? Where does that put that viewer in a given user's eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

Then, by that definition, shall we say that it's a matter of tactfulness in the approach? I do perceive a rather immense difference between someone who comes into a thread and says "This episode is just awful, and here are the reasons why...", and someone who says "I didn't really enjoy this episode, because I was hoping for..." You might say "they're both critiques", but what is the net effect? One is threatening ("I'm right and let me tell you why...") and the other is more neutral ("Let me share my thoughts...").
Pardon the intrusion, but I'll bite on this line of discussion. First I'll just say that I don't think the different types of approaches you talk about here are necessarily seperate and distinct. I'd like to think some of us have a marriage of both. It is possible to have a measure of tact while still reserving ones right towards an opinion and analysis that could prove unpopular at the end of the day.

Quote:
Whenever this argument comes up, it seems to me that it always comes down to the very same thing. You have people who read arguments intellectually, and people who read arguments emotionally. That isn't to say one is "smart" and the other isn't; it's a personality issue. People who present intellectual arguments tend to be lighter on "tact" in favour of providing objective justifications for their arguments. People who present emotional perspectives/arguments tend to content themselves with just sharing their feelings without a huge need to find some objective cause for it (i.e. "liking something is reason enough").
Again I don't think that's necessarily the case at all. While I disagree with the idea that "emotional" and "intellectual" users are seperate and distinct, I'll play along with the idea and offer that emotional people can be just as threatening, offensive or defensive as an intellectual user who is concerned primarily with making their points heard. Also I think it's a little presumptious to assume that the more intellectual user can't recognize that for some liking something is enough for some don't you? Not sure I feel about categorizing users into two groups of "intellectual" or "emotional" and it kind of distracts from the discussion of the episode don't you think?

Quote:
When the two clash, we have this problem: Emotional people who don't like seeing the harmony disrupted by people who keep wanting to "prove they're right" (actually: demonstrate that their arguments have merit), and intellectual people who get all offended that their right to express a negative opinion is being threatened by, what they see as, fanboys and yes-men (actually: usually people who don't understand why you'd watch something you "seem" to dislike so much).
Again not really sure about this whole two and only two seperate and distinct schools of reaction to anime, but I'll continue to play along and just say that I don't really worry if people don't agree with me, I simply feel content when I know that they have listened to what I have to say. That's all we can ask for at the most basic level of discussion, that we listen to one another on a forum.

Quote:
Anyway, all that to say, neither personality type wants or expects the other to go away, they each want the other to be more like them in typical Pygmalion fashion. Of course I'm no exception in that regard, partly because stamping out these sorts of arguments is what I'm supposed to do (and I do realize that I've helped encourage it again this time -- I hope you'll forgive me for having my limits).
Again no middle ground, just polar personality types always at odds with one another? I think there's a hint of truth to the idea that everybody on some level wants people to be more like them, but I don't think there's all their is too forum discussions either. You are also forgiven, but it does worry me a little to hear that you see it as a neccesity to stamp out "these sorts of arguments" but to also feel that you've simplified the situation as well.

Quote:
Regardless, this is what I feel the issue is in this thread, but obviously discussing it more here is beyond the scope of the topic. But I hope at least this helps to explain, especially to those presenting the intellectual "objective" arguments, why they've provoked a reaction. I don't think it's at all because anyone wants to shut up disagreement; I think it's about the emotional way the arguments are received. And if we want to really have some measure of peace and harmony, even when topics are contentious, I think we at least need to understand where we're all coming from.
No argument here.

Quote:
I'll leave it at that so as to not derail the topic further, though I wouldn't mind continuing this broader discussion if another suitable venue was found. I do think this is an important issue.
Same here. I'm willing to play it by ear and see where this whole thread and discussion goes for now.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-06-20 at 00:43.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:28   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Regardless, this is what I feel the issue is in this thread, but obviously discussing it more here is beyond the scope of the topic. But I hope at least this helps to explain, especially to those presenting the intellectual "objective" arguments, why they've provoked a reaction. I don't think it's at all because anyone wants to shut up disagreement; I think it's about the emotional way the arguments are received. And if we want to really have some measure of peace and harmony, even when topics are contentious, I think we at least need to explain where we're all coming from.
You've improved delivery of that line of thought (deja vu)... and yeah, I agree with your line of thought as a good way of mapping the situation that often occurs.
I'll leave any other thoughts to PM or back channels

Now pardon me while I review my Mio wallpapers and re-establish my "wa".
Vexx is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:44   Link #178
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What if even in recognizing that as K-On's purpose a viewer still doesn't find it a satisfying show? What if a viewer doesn't find that these points about the shows nature warrant the serious reflection that Yui gave near the end of the episode and that it doesn't fit in with the whole light and fluffy nature of the rest of the series? What exactly did Yui expect the viewer to feel? What if the viewer didn't feel any sort of relation to her monologue nor did they feel it was well led up to to give it that sort of feel good vibe it was going for? Where does that put that viewer in a given user's eyes?
It would suggest to me that, for whatever reason, the show didn't connect emotionally with the viewer, and therefore they didn't enjoy it. Whereas the same monologue may indeed have connected with one who was emotionally connected with the show and its characters and could personally relate to the feelings behind Yui's monologue. The difference is simply the viewer with no "right" or "wrong" about it. And I suppose I don't believe, fundamentally, that all shows can or should even bother trying to emotionally connect with all viewers -- sometimes, you just have to find the group for whom it works and ignore the rest. (But that follows my personal practice/belief that, if a show isn't emotionally engaging, one should disengage.)

I can tell you what I personally felt in that monologue. It felt to me that what Yui was looking for in joining a club was not "to have something to do", but to "have a place to call home". She found purpose by finding people who loved her for who she really was, flaws and all. And throughout all the show's moe antics and silliness, it was really about finding acceptance. And, for me at least, that strikes an emotional chord. I felt like, by watching the show, it was trying to let us relive a little bit of those same feelings -- of fun, happiness, and belonging -- by proxy. That isn't to say that each turn will necessarily engage each person equally, but the last episode drove home to me that that sense of "enjoying being together" and "belonging" is what all the time spent together (for them as characters, and for us as viewers) added up to. It made me feel nostalgic and so left a good impression.

I say all that even though I admitted before that I haven't "felt" every episode in this show... but this finale worked for me, and made the whole feel more complete (which is, I think, what a finale tends to do ).

Anyway, there's an answer -- but I certainly don't think it's The right one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It is possible to have a measure of tact while still reserving ones right towards an opinion and analysis that could prove unpopular at the end of the day.
Of course I think it's possible; otherwise I wouldn't be advocating understanding the two different approaches. But I would suggest that when things escalate to the level they just did, we probably haven't quite found that balance yet on the whole. And of course reality isn't so black and white, but it tends to get more-so when things escalate, as we saw here. Anyway, that's all I'll say here about that.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-06-20 at 01:07. Reason: way to go, typo...
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 00:52   Link #179
Tatiana Razajev
Karen
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Although I liked the episode as a whole, I was pretty disappointed that they decided to use Fuwa Fuwa Time for the final performance...
I have to admit, it would have been nice to have another song used. Speaking of songs, I wonder. If they were to say have "Don't Say Lazy" played during episode 14.... Would they make a second version to include Azusa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
:than the music they played. That was reinforced on many levels in this episode. This isn't a show about developing character and great ambition; it's just about a group of girls who became friends.
On the subject of character development, I've actually grown used to the idea of shows where characters don't have drastic changes in their personality. Actually, in some cases I think it's a good thing.

The key word being some. There are shows where a drastic change in personality can work. However sometimes it can be nice when characters remain true to themselves.

K-ON! would be a good example of the latter type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Even though they played partly with their backs to the audience, the encore was pretty nice; the progression from the keyboard to the percussions then to the strings was something (I didn't expect them to do that).
I wouldn't be surprised if that was supposed to be partially symbolic. Telling us that they're playing not just for the audience, but for each other as well. Of course, I'm probably reading too much into it.
__________________
"Don't forget. You aren't alone. It isn't just you. You have a billion bacteria with you."- Kokage Kuga (Sketchbook)
"Last night's dream was in sepia with subtitles"- Oomichi ~Professor~ Miyabi (GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class)
Tatiana Razajev is offline  
Old 2009-06-20, 01:01   Link #180
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that was supposed to be partially symbolic. Telling us that they're playing not just for the audience, but for each other as well. Of course, I'm probably reading too much into it.
I read it in the same way, but perhaps even more so. In the monologue leading up to that scene, Yui explained that this was their festival, and the whole episode was pointing to the fact that the most important thing, for all of them, was to play together. And when the song was over, it was as though they didn't want it to end -- it was sort of their moment together. It was also a sort of nod to the protagonist's feelings of being loved and accepted that they all looked at her one by one as they decided to do the encore. They were happy that she was there, and the encore was literally a nod to her. So I totally agree -- here too, what was most important wasn't the music or the performance, it was that they were all together and doing what they loved. If you're reading too much into it, then I guess I did too.
relentlessflame is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.