AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 10:50   Link #1
Journeyman
That boring guy

Well-written characters, good plot, etc, etc. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TheJourneyman - as you can see, my brain is so perverted that well-advertised, top-rated series do not work well for me

So, is there any anime series with good plot, non-cliche characters, and preferably something that makes brain tick? Or am I demanding too much?

I don't trust reviews any longer, so my main tactic is now picking a series by opening/ending. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....
Old 2009-05-21, 10:57   Link #2
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

You already have Baccano. I will suggest Gungrave if you like mafia drama. It is basically A Bullet in the Head meet The Godfather meet City of God. Then another suggestion will be Monster.
Old 2009-05-21, 11:01   Link #3
Autumn Demon
~

kiba
code geass
ghost in the shell
Old 2009-05-21, 13:38   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Haibane Renmei
Hachimitsu to Clover
Mushishi
Seikai no Monshou
...see if any of those interest you.
Old 2009-05-21, 13:43   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, looking at your list there are 4 series that come to mind.

1: Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato): A oldie, from the 70s, so it has dated animation, but the plot is very strong. Good characters. A space epic. I haven't seen it since I was eight, but I still vividly remember scenes. (Plus the Wave Motion gun is cool).

2: Maison Ikkoku: Another oldie from the 80s. Romantic Comedy, the first season is simply good, but starting with the second season Maison Ikkoku really begins improving and continues to improve up until the ending which has to be one of the most satisfying and moving conclusions I've ever seen to a romance. A lot of romantic anime "cliche" situations and characters are poorly done rip offs from Maison Ikkoku- with the difference that Maison Ikkoku did them right.

3: The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Okay, yes it has it's hordes of inane fanboys. Many of whom love the "moe" and cliche antics- completely missing the point that Haruhi is mocking the idea of moe and of anime cliches. Not to mention, once you look past the sly deadpan mockery, there actually is a plot. A very twisty and interesting plot. (I've read the books, and they are only starting to animate the core of the interesting plotlines).

Furthermore the characters are mainly shown to be subversions of the typical anime characters they appear to be. Except for one (which is interesting since sometimes of course in reality you do have people who seem 2 dimensional), but even that character comes in for suspicion. Maybe it's just a clever act to manipulate everyone else. Many many small touches that you don't really notice until you rewatch, or understand until you know what happens later. Someday, once all the crazy fandom fades away, Haruhi Suzumiya will still be recognized as an anime classic. (Not as good as Starblazers in my opinion, but still up there).

4: Chrono Crusade: Okay, now this one is weird. Weird, weird, weird. Apparently Nuns Are Mikos. But looking past weirdness, past the nuns armed with guns firing holy water bullets (in American of the Roaring twenties no less), the characters are interesting, and most intriguing of all- it's a well done tragedy. And well done tragedies are rare.

You might also want to check this list:

Essential Anime
Old 2009-05-21, 14:12   Link #6
AznTri-Angel

school rumble. A delinquent in love? How is that not well written .
Old 2009-05-21, 14:30   Link #7
Raa
Sceptic

Seirei no Moribito miles ahead in well written department.
I can't remember so quality dialogs in any other anime (in any mentioned in this thread too).
Old 2009-05-21, 14:59   Link #8
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Have you tried Juuni Kokuki and Legend of the Galactic Heroes? If both don't work for ya, nothing else will basically.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-05-21, 18:46   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This seems to be my week to pimp Monster.

Big seconds for Junni Kokuki and Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2009-05-23, 06:55   Link #10
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
how about Gonzo's Solty Rei?
GYROZETTER
Old 2009-05-23, 09:51   Link #11
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

How bout Mushi-Uta(sp?) Can't really remember the exact anime name though.

Oh and there's a currently ongoing anime called Eden of the East w/c is really really nice.
Old 2009-05-25, 01:40   Link #12
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE Send a message via Skype™ to VEE
ergo proxy
Old 2009-06-10, 15:50   Link #13
Journeyman
That boring guy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Quote:
Oh and there's a currently ongoing anime called Eden of the East w/c is really really nice.
SaW was the only ongoing series I watched. I'll give Eden a try when it finishes airing.

Quote:
how about Gonzo's Solty Rei?
Feels not to my taste.

Quote:
Since that self-sufficient female characters are quite rare in anime, this one wins a place on the list

Quote:
Have you tried Juuni Kokuki and Legend of the Galactic Heroes? If both don't work for ya, nothing else will basically.
Found both, thanks a lot Finding Legend in qood quality was not an easy task, though...

Quote:
Haibane Renmei
Hachimitsu to Clover
Mushishi
Seikai no Monshou
...see if any of those interest you
I'm on Mushishi now. Enjoying it beyond words.

Quote:
Well, looking at your list there are 4 series that come to mind...
Thanks for the links, Sackett!
Old 2009-06-10, 22:41   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raa View Post
I can't remember so quality dialogs in any other anime (in any mentioned in this thread too).
Ditto. It's really more like a live-action film, given the insanely good dialogue and cinematic use of "cameras" etc. And the characters are top of the line. I'd also say Gurren-Laggan, for something a bit more action-packed but still densely plotted with good characters.
Old 2009-06-10, 22:46   Link #15
mit7059

I can't second Honey & Clover strong enough, for well-written characters with an incredibly deep plot it's pretty much the end all.
Cross Game is currently airing and is pretty good, following the sport line is Ookiku Furikabutte which is also incredibly well done.

For an oldie-but-goodie you could look into Patlabor.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-06-11, 19:42   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
bleach and Naruto....

*gets stabbed*

Buut I was joking~ *last breath*
Old 2009-06-11, 21:08   Link #17
andromeda0201

I second Sekai no Monshou... in fact all 3 series from Sekai no Monshou to Sekai no Senki are definitely worth checking out

Noein
Kurau Phantom Memory
Towards the Terra
Black Lagoon - more mafia and pirates to check out...
Ga-Rei Zero
Old 2009-06-21, 02:59   Link #18
mearii
artsy fartsy

i recommend you watch code geass.. you'll love the characters, the plot is very good, and you'll just love the whole anime!!!!!!
Old 2009-06-21, 03:35   Link #19
Scorch

Monster, seconded. The plot is excellent and the characters are interesting. Johan is one of the best villains I've seen (right up there with Griffith from Berserk), and he doesn't even need any special powers. He just plays head games with people.

Honey and Clover is also great if you're in the mood for a slice of life show.
Closed Thread