AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-15, 02:36   Link #2881
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

At this point, I'll just remark on "why stop with an apple"... and suggest going for the Plasma Ball experiment....
http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Home...Microwave_Oven

There's also the superheated effect of just boiling a liquid in a microwave ... water can actually "explode" (warning: this sort of stuff can inflict serious personal damage of the scalding kind). This is especially traumatic if the superheated liquid is removed and a spoon thrust into it, destabilizing the fragile balance.
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
Old 2009-06-15, 04:14   Link #2882
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
If you didn't slice it first, probably. The water inside would start boiling and therefore expanding. Since the skin is watertight, the gas has nowhere to go so it would burst. How violently would depend on how fast it's being heated.
I would have though that the skin would burn away first (direct fire contact) before the heat could build up inside. Thanks for clearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's also the superheated effect of just boiling a liquid in a microwave ... water can actually "explode" (warning: this sort of stuff can inflict serious personal damage of the scalding kind). This is especially traumatic if the superheated liquid is removed and a spoon thrust into it, destabilizing the fragile balance.
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
No need to try this one, since I know a dude that burned his hand while trying to make a coffee quickly with the microwave. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
I microwaved an egg before, shell and all. The aftermath was... messy.
Never heard of this one before, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
That was indeed a silly question by Daniel. I'm also disappointed at him for not going the extra mile at investigating. The Daniel I knew back then was an adventurer who would have microwave that apple and would have told us about the aftermathe of the experiment.
Ahh, I apologize deeply. Guess there's not enough Mithbuster mojo in me.

That and a few apples at hand to try it out.
Old 2009-06-15, 14:49   Link #2883
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Well Jawbreakers can and will explode when you heat them up. Expansion and all that fun stuff.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 16:56   Link #2884
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
If you didn't slice it first, probably. The water inside would start boiling and therefore expanding. Since the skin is watertight, the gas has nowhere to go so it would burst. How violently would depend on how fast it's being heated.
reminds me of the CSI opening there's an exploding apple in it D: though not sure if that was because of explosives inside cause many folks put firecrackers in apples and light them off
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 23:31   Link #2885
Nobodyman9
Banned

Is there a way to change a group name, even if you're the founder/moderator of it?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 14:32   Link #2886
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Contact a administrator.
Old 2009-06-20, 00:56   Link #2887
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

How bad do I have to do in order to get my admission revoked from college? Because while I am not failing any classes my grade dropped a bit.
Old 2009-06-20, 02:26   Link #2888
Clarste
Human

Depends on where you're going. Ask your counselor or whatever they're called.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 20:38   Link #2889
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
How bad do I have to do in order to get my admission revoked from college? Because while I am not failing any classes my grade dropped a bit.
It differs depending on the college/university you were accepted to, but I think most schools have a requirement of 2.0 GPA with no failing grades (D's or F's).
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 20:56   Link #2890
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Depends on where you're going. Ask your counselor or whatever they're called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
It differs depending on the college/university you were accepted to, but I think most schools have a requirement of 2.0 GPA with no failing grades (D's or F's).
Alright thanks to both you guys for the answers, and as for my grade I might get a D for one of my classes .
Old 2009-06-22, 09:32   Link #2891
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Why is that the lady's voice (before the beginning of the animes) announcing who the sponsors are, is always the same?
Old 2009-06-22, 11:30   Link #2892
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Why is that the lady's voice (before the beginning of the animes) announcing who the sponsors are, is always the same?
I always wonder who is the dude that plays as a narrator during the trailers for pretty much every movie Hollywood makes.
Old 2009-06-22, 11:54   Link #2893
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I always wonder who is the dude that plays as a narrator during the trailers for pretty much every movie Hollywood makes.
Don LaFontaine

Sample

Cheers.
Old 2009-06-22, 12:07   Link #2894
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I'm not all that really interested to know who is she, I mean it more like that the reason her voice is the same before all the animes is due to some kinda legal anime-requirement, or it's just a once recored voice which the studios/TV stations recycle all the time, or she narrates it because she's someone famous like "Thunder Throat" a post above?

I think it's not just a recorded voice, as she sometimes even read the sponsors as far as I can tell.
edit: Obviously it's not a pressing issue, I was just wondering about it .
Old 2009-06-22, 12:14   Link #2895
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The Voice of God indeed.

R.I.P Don.
Old 2009-06-22, 13:18   Link #2896
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I'm not all that really interested to know who is she, I mean it more like that the reason her voice is the same before all the animes is due to some kinda legal anime-requirement, or it's just a once recored voice which the studios/TV stations recycle all the time, or she narrates it because she's someone famous like "Thunder Throat" a post above?

I think it's not just a recorded voice, as she sometimes even read the sponsors as far as I can tell.
edit: Obviously it's not a pressing issue, I was just wondering about it .
Err.. It's not always the same though, from the sum of animes I've seen, atleast 20% have different narrators announcing the sponsors, and this 20% isn't the same person either..
Old 2009-06-22, 23:14   Link #2897
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They've got someone that does the sponsor announcements (or a small pool of people), they already know how to read and modulate it...

why NOT use the same person? Comfort and predictability --- there's no "legal requirement" or anything else involved.

If you shop at more than one brand of "large chain grocery store" ... you may suddenly notice that the *same voice* is doing the intercom advertisements for store specials (be it Kroger or Safeway). It is the same lady --- she's done it a long time and has 'that voice' they all like for the ads.
Old 2009-06-23, 00:51   Link #2898
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you shop at more than one brand of "large chain grocery store" ... you may suddenly notice that the *same voice* is doing the intercom advertisements for store specials (be it Kroger or Safeway). It is the same lady --- she's done it a long time and has 'that voice' they all like for the ads.
I am suddenly reminded of the female voice often used in movies to "voice" computers.

The base will self-destruct in 2 minutes!

Many movies (and video games) use it, and the voice always has the same ring to it.
Old 2009-06-23, 10:38   Link #2899
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I am suddenly reminded of the female voice often used in movies to "voice" computers.

The base will self-destruct in 2 minutes!

Many movies (and video games) use it, and the voice always has the same ring to it.
In Star Trek, the computer voice was that of Majel Roddenberry (who played Nurse Chapel in the original series and later played Lwaxana Troi in Next Generation, and voiced the feline 'catgirl' M'ress in the animated series). She voiced the role of the computer's voice in every Trek presentation for 40+ years, including the computer voice in this spring's "retcon" of Star Trek.
(Majel Roddenberry:: 1932-2008).

Spoiler for off topic fun trivia fact about Majel:

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-23 at 10:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 11:31   Link #2900
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ mearii: Regarding your question, no you are not allowed to post pointless silly questions (see first post).

Tags
problem, q&a, serious