AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-24, 20:31   Link #41
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Fu%+ing epic chapter while naruto going back to pathetic village eposides and Bleach's making its everyday boring action scenes.Thanks to One Piece for making my day in Shonen league near all that boring thrash
Still Waiting for that punch line.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 20:37   Link #42
Hisoka??
Ultra noob
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Spandam was a joke of a fighter, with less than 10 douriki you couldn't even consider him a threat much less a swordsman. You could basically say he carried that "sword" around for protection because he had absolutely no other power to defend himself with.

But in response to your question, "do I consider [Spandam] a swordsman." Well technically he wields a sword, so therefore he's a swordsman, I mean what else what would you call him? But even if you wouldn't consider him a swordsman, that would make Spandam pretty much the only example of someone who wields a sword but isn't a swordsman (other than the insignificant minor characters of course).

Shiryuu on the other hand is a serious fighting character who was introduced with a sword, when he was freed from impel the first thing he asked for was his sword, and everytime we've seen him fight was with his sword.

So once again, I really don't see what evidence you have to assume he "may not be a swordsman." I mean I'm certainly not going to rule it out as a possibility because stranger things have happened in this show, but 99.9% of those who have used swords have been swordsman, I don't see why that would change now, especially when we're talking about someone as powerful as Shiryuu.
It was your argument that led to this. Just because a person carries a sword does not make him a swordsman in the sense of being skilled in the sword or using the sword as his main weapon. I could carry a sword around but as I don't use it or do not know how I'm not a swordsman.

note that we did not say that shiryuu was not a swordsman. We merely acknowledged the possibility that he wasn't. you also admitted to that. So what's with the rant against us for saying that it's not certain?

You should try to prove your 99.9% theory though, if we consider spandam as not a swordsman, then you need to come up with 999 different characters carrying swords and are swordsman. Good luck with that.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 21:09   Link #43
cheese4u
da big boss
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
It was your argument that led to this. Just because a person carries a sword does not make him a swordsman in the sense of being skilled in the sword or using the sword as his main weapon. I could carry a sword around but as I don't use it or do not know how I'm not a swordsman.
What exactly did my argument lead to? Anyway, in the in bold statement above you said that "I could carry a sword around but as I don't use it or do not know how I'm not a swordsman." Well both Shiryuu and Spandam have used their swords, and as far as "knowing how" is concerned, I'm pretty sure Spandam knows how to use his sword better than anyone. Just because his skills aren't as polished as Zoro's doesn't mean he's not a swordsman, if he fights primarily with a sword then technically he's a swordsman.

Quote:
note that we did not say that shiryuu was not a swordsman. We merely acknowledged the possibility that he wasn't. you also admitted to that. So what's with the rant against us for saying that it's not certain?
I'm not quite sure how my last post qualifies as a rant.

Quote:
You should try to prove your 99.9% theory though, if we consider spandam as not a swordsman, then you need to come up with 999 different characters carrying swords and are swordsman. Good luck with that.
99.9% was obviously not an actual number, you really think I took the time to count up all the swordsman and divide them up into percentages? I was using the 99.9% sarcastically to tell you the vast majority of people who have used a sword were actual swordsman, and not these so called fake swordsman like Spandam. The point I was trying to make by that, was that the odds of Shiryuu being like Spandam was ridiculously low considering that of all the swordsman we've seen so far only two or three fall into the "Spandam category."
__________________
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 00:32   Link #44
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Hey, the full chapter's out now! Nice to see it out a little earlier than usual. Anyway, there's no full translation yet, but there's a few things I can confirm:


-Bon Clay DID touch Magellan's face when he turned into Hannyabal. A small flashback of the scene is even shown to confirm this.

-It looks like the total number of prisoners that busted out of Impel Down is 241.

-Ace's execution is only four hours away....



Well, those are pretty much the only notable things I can point out until the chap's fully translated. Otherwise, I just have the pictures to look at. I rather like the designs of some of those marines (especially this one dude shown on the fourth panel of page 5 who has a pretty big scar across his face.... I think the grunts referred to him as a rear admiral). Of course, I already gave my views of Bon Clay's sacrifice already, so I think it's unnecessary to repeat the obvious.



By the way, there's an ad for the next Log that shows what appears to be a preview of the next chibi Straw-Hat omake.... Family Time. Zoro in particular looks hilarious as an old geezer.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 04:12   Link #45
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Heh, once again Bon Clay shows how awesome he is. Yeah, he'll most likely survive his encounter with Magellan, but if (and it's a really big if) he doesn't, well..... it was already said in this thread that this would be an good point for him to bite it......
Considering the translation I just read than Bon Clay is most likely dead, either that or Megellan is insanely incompetent.

Considering his softness was what did him in the first time if he lets Bon Clay live than the World Goverment is just in executing Megellan for gross incompetence.

Someone needs their head posted on a pike it's either Bon Clay's head or Megellan's head.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 08:44   Link #46
Photonbeam
It's VACATION TIMEEEEE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Nido Triangle
Send a message via Yahoo to Photonbeam
I felt very sad while reading this chapter . And Bon Clay was one of my favorite characters too.
__________________
Photonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 08:57   Link #47
Prestige
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Line
Bon-chan NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Damn I feel so sad now, Bon Clay will always be strawhat in my mind... that guy is so damn awesome.

Not that much happened in this chapter though it sure was damn epic and tragedic... Bon Clay forever...
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 09:26   Link #48
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah, the chapter was a lot more awesome now that I've read the full trans. By the way, Magellan DID say that he was going to chase after Luffy and co. before the gate of justice opened up. So unless he gets cold-cocked by Blackbeard next chapter, I think it's safe to assume that we'll be seeing the warden at Marineford.....



Oh, and Jinbei said that all vice-admirals and above made it to Marineford already. A bit of a shame, since it would've been cool to see a naval boss battle before everyone reaches the HQ (I suppose that would only serve as to waste the little time they have left to rescue Ace though, so it's understandable).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 09:38   Link #49
Red-Haired_Shanks
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, the chapter was a lot more awesome now that I've read the full trans. By the way, Magellan DID say that he was going to chase after Luffy and co. before the gate of justice opened up. So unless he gets cold-cocked by Blackbeard next chapter, I think it's safe to assume that we'll be seeing the warden at Marineford.....



Oh, and Jinbei said that all vice-admirals and above made it to Marineford already. A bit of a shame, since it would've been cool to see a naval boss battle before everyone reaches the HQ (I suppose that would only serve as to waste the little time they have left to rescue Ace though, so it's understandable).....
Yeah....
It would have but I doubt they would have done any good against...
2 Shichibukai and Luffy....
Man did u see the ending?? Like what it said on the very last page???
I don't know about you but Oda is doing a good ass job gettin me hype for the War with Whitebeard
Red-Haired_Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 10:13   Link #50
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I can't stop crying. I was expecting Oda to throw in a casualty soon, to signify the start of the Nw World.

Was not expecting it to be Bon-Chan.

To the greatest Okama to ever grace the world of One Piece,
May your Okama flower bloom eternally, even in the depths of Impel Down Hell.
~Rest in Peace~
__________________
You are incompetent!
wispyhollow.livejournal.com

^Original manga series @ livejournal
(f-locked, comment to be added)
Change of Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 10:15   Link #51
rob lucci
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: philippines
Age: 21
Bon chan

Bon Chan its truly a real guy...
sacrificing him self for the sake of other can't be compared to any other thng...

job's done oda!

BON CHAN forever!
rob lucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 11:58   Link #52
Knight Hawk
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City
It's been ages since my eyes got this watery. Bon-chan is such an awesome character, a character that punches the awesomeness of friendship into our hearts. VIVA LE BON-CHAN!!!

*salutes while tears flowing*
__________________
--A dream called "Youth". We'll eventually wake up from this dream, but the memories will continue to endure. - Karasuma, School Rumble
--Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 12:45   Link #53
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
NNNOOOOOOOOOEEEESSSS!!! BON-CHAN!!!

Just like before Bon-chan sacrifices himself yet again, he stays true to his ways no matter what, guy's a legend!

One my fav scenes from before is this one, just brilliant!


Rarely does a series ever get me welling up inside but OP does it time and time again whenever such scenes arise.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 12:58   Link #54
AdventSleeper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bon-chan!!!!

As sad as I would be to see him die, unless he can fight on even with Magellan, I see no hope of him living..

Awesome character though
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 13:29   Link #55
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Finally!......now lets get to the more interesting people and battles already.

I really hope Buggy takes the credit for the Impel down incident.

Last edited by Master Mold; 2009-06-25 at 13:40.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 14:21   Link #56
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
Umm...I agree with Master Mold. I think Mr. 2's unrealistic willingness to pretty much die for any reason that pops up is slightly sickening. And I honestly don'y know why someone else more interesting couldn't have joined the Escape Party, like some other criminals for Lv 5 or 6.

It wasn't emotional since, on the whole, emotional development needs serious overtones, and the scene wasn't really done that seriously. There was no real gravity. Not only that, but I never really developed a liking for Mr. 2. I'm glad to see him gone, honestly.

There are more interesting characters who could be getting more time. Like Crocodile, and Shiryuu. I don't particularly dislike the whole Mr. 2 thing, but I'm just saying that it wasn't really all that touching.

Now a scenes like the emotional devlopments during the flashbacks in the Sasuke Vs. Naruto (first) fight were touching. The music, animation, and everyhting came together to make a cool scene.
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 15:08   Link #57
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I agree with you and Master Mold, it's kind of hard to be sad when Oda has never killed off a character except in flashbacks and I see no reason why he should start now. Most likely Luffy will think his dead, the audience will think his dead, and then it will be shown that his survived because Megellan can only kill extras, and Oda can only kill named characters in flashbacks.

Though considering that One Piece is aimed at 10-12 year olds that's not really a problem. It's certainly better than the drivel we give our children for action cartoons.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 15:15   Link #58
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
I'm not really complaining about the lack of character deaths, but I'm just saying people should realize that practical analysis of the chapter shows that MR. 2 wasn't all that interesting.

I never found it amusing when he spun around, and whatnot. It was just a panel taken up with nonsense. But, accepting that One Piece is about fun and all that, it's pretty dumb to go ranting. I should read a serious manga that's targeted at a more mature audience if I want more deaths and proper real-life drama, I suppose ^_^;

I don't expect a complete reversal of style for the manga; far from it. I just want that when something explicitly warrants seriousness it should be granted.

Regards
-holypanl
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 15:37   Link #59
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
It's different in approach, I guess.

I find it somewhat touching in a case that, he's doing it again, and Luffy touching upon that fact ("Weren't we breaking out of here together...Why does it always have to be you saving me?") made it a bit sad for me.

Anyway, the next chapter...maybe we'll see the situation now at Marine ford or where Ace is currently. Well, might be better if we see some Whitebeard action next....
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 15:45   Link #60
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Oda does seem to be able to write serious, he just chooses not to because he writes for children.

Am I sad? No
Am I a 10-12 year old chile? No

That's not a bad thing, it's just different from how Watsuki and Arakawa does it.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.