AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-24, 16:04   Link #1
werty704

Send a message via AIM to werty704 Send a message via MSN to werty704
A few things i want to ask about fma...

i admit i do not own any fma episodes or fma manga which is why i rely on other people's words to know where this series is going both manga and anime wise. so there are a few things i want to clear up with people here who are more knowlegeable on this series than i am. i understand these are very random questions but they are so far the only things left i haven't been able to resolve.

the first thing is about winry's age. they never specify what her age is at least i could not find any. some people say she's older than the elric brothers which means she's sixteen or older. then there are others who say she's around edward's age which is fifteen going on sixteen. then there are those who believe she's alphonse's age which is fifteen going on sixteen. i know for sure she's not younger than alphonse so she is definitely not younger than fifteen. so what is it really?

the other thing is that i read somewhere that in the manga, edward and alphonse as children once fought on who would become winry's future husband. even though it is very cute of them to have done that, i still find it iffy to believe. for one thing it doesn't seem like it would be in their characters to fight over a girl. according to that source, edward and alphonse were remembering this from a present point of view in a hospital. they remember winry who was watching the two brothers fight telling them that she sees only them as brothers. did this incident ever occur or is my source just making it up?

Any answers and feedbacks would be greatly appreicated.
Old 2004-06-24, 16:41   Link #2
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by werty704
i admit i do not own any fma episodes or fma manga which is why i rely on other people's words to know where this series is going both manga and anime wise. so there are a few things i want to clear up with people here who are more knowlegeable on this series than i am. i understand these are very random questions but they are so far the only things left i haven't been able to resolve.

the first thing is about winry's age. they never specify what her age is at least i could not find any. some people say she's older than the elric brothers which means she's sixteen or older. then there are others who say she's around edward's age which is fifteen going on sixteen. then there are those who believe she's alphonse's age which is fifteen going on sixteen. i know for sure she's not younger than alphonse so she is definitely not younger than fifteen. so what is it really?

the other thing is that i read somewhere that in the manga, edward and alphonse as children once fought on who would become winry's future husband. even though it is very cute of them to have done that, i still find it iffy to believe. for one thing it doesn't seem like it would be in their characters to fight over a girl. according to that source, edward and alphonse were remembering this from a present point of view in a hospital. they remember winry who was watching the two brothers fight telling them that she sees only them as brothers. did this incident ever occur or is my source just making it up?

Any answers and feedbacks would be greatly appreicated.
Edward & Winry are of the same age. Al is a year younger.
I've been told that Edward is the oldest of the three (Edward older than Winry by a couple of months). Can someone confirm this?
Old 2004-06-24, 18:06   Link #3
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
Yeah, I would think that's about right, so as of this recent episode we can say Edward is 16, Winry is 15 and Al is still 14. (thanks to the reference with Dante) I've been trying to figure out when Ed's birthday is, and I think it's late October, early November, and Al's is 3-4 weeks later (Ed's birthday followed by the N. Alchemist exams, Al had caught up). Winry's, if you're right, is another 4 weeks after. So she's kind of in the middle really.
Old 2004-06-24, 21:11   Link #4
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
She's roughly the same age as Edward.

Quote:
It is in the manga. In the chapter where Ed and Al had their "make up" session on the top floor of the hospital, they talked of all the fights they had when young. Both Ed and Al did fought over who would become Winry's husband. Ed won then but Winry ignored them.
Old 2004-06-24, 22:16   Link #5
werty704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
It is in the manga. In the chapter where Ed and Al had their "make up" session on the top floor of the hospital, they talked of all the fights they had when young. Both Ed and Al did fought over who would become Winry's husband. Ed won then but Winry ignored them.
would you by any chance remember what chapter this was?
Old 2004-06-24, 22:41   Link #6
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
would you by any chance remember what chapter this was?
Chapter 15.
Old 2004-06-25, 00:09   Link #7
Joe Dalton

after reading these questions I am also left with some questions...

1 are you kidding?
2 do you think hentai is gods gift to the world?
3 no seriously are you kidding?
4 just to make sure you understand the question... are you kidding?
Old 2004-06-25, 02:41   Link #8
werty704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
after reading these questions I am also left with some questions...

1 are you kidding?
2 do you think hentai is gods gift to the world?
3 no seriously are you kidding?
4 just to make sure you understand the question... are you kidding?
umm... i am a little confused. what do you mean am i kidding? i understand these questions are very random as i have stated in the first post. so to answer your questions:
1. i am not kidding
2. no i do not think hentai is gods gift to the world
3. no seriously i am not
4. i do understand the question and i am not kidding

the question about winry's age may be quite obvious in the manga and anime but as i stated before i don't own either things. and those websites where i've been to have not mention it either. perhaps it may be a stupid question to you but not to me. it has only became my curiosity to know her age because i've read many versions of it. that is why i ask. to know what it really is. you sir should know that what may not be interesting to know for you would not be the same case for someone else.

if you think i asked about the fight between edward and alphonse as my way of finding hentai in fma then you have completely misinterpret my intentions. i admit i am a edwin supporter but i am not a crazy fan who's only reason for reading fma is to look for clues that support this couple. just because i didn't ask questions on more serious plot related elements doesn't mean i support hentai on fma. this just shows that i have learned enough information from you people on other posts to not have any of those types of questions.

these questions are random. i won't deny it. but i ask them only because i have been able to find answers for my other more serious questions and these non-serious questions are the only ones left (for obvious reasons they are never given a proper answer since they are not the main focus in fma) if you still find that hard to believe then believe what you want. i have already stated my case.

for those who did answer my questions, i greatly appreciated your answers. thank you.
Old 2004-06-25, 10:39   Link #9
zebrafish

In manga (and this is the only official setting I believe in), Ed hasn't turned 16 yet. And it was Al who won the fight over Winry, not Ed.
Old 2004-06-26, 06:59   Link #10
Umbrae
Generic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafish
In manga (and this is the only official setting I believe in), Ed hasn't turned 16 yet. And it was Al who won the fight over Winry, not Ed.

I think it was Al. Although I hardly remember episode 15, when they reminise about that. I do remember Ed mentioning he had never beaten Al in a fight. (talking to the 2 brothers in the armor, just before they reintroduced tucker)
Old 2004-06-26, 07:25   Link #11
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Ed who won that fight actually though the panel was pretty chaotic. What I know/interprete is that
Spoiler:
I would have said Ed won the fight.

I believe the "This is the first time I beat Al" spoken by Ed on the previous page refers to the fact that Ed has never beaten Al after the Human Transmutation incident, not that he has never beaten Al as a child. Either that or its a gaffe by Arakawa-sensei (just like the Mustang-old General chess moves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
I think it was Al. Although I hardly remember episode 15, when they reminise about that. I do remember Ed mentioning he had never beaten Al in a fight. (talking to the 2 brothers in the armor, just before they reintroduced tucker)
We are talking about the manga (chapters), not the anime (episodes). If you were talking about the manga (simple mistake of switching episode for chapter), I do not recall the manga ever re-introducing Tucker after the Hospital incident since he was way, way dead long before hand.
Old 2004-06-26, 11:04   Link #12
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-06-26, 13:32   Link #13
zebrafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
I'm pretty sure it was Ed who won that fight actually though the panel was pretty chaotic. What I know/interprete is that
Spoiler:
I would have said Ed won the fight.

I believe the "This is the first time I beat Al" spoken by Ed on the previous page refers to the fact that Ed has never beaten Al after the Human Transmutation incident, not that he has never beaten Al as a child. Either that or its a gaffe by Arakawa-sensei (just like the Mustang-old General chess moves)
Nope. I'm afraid you mixed up the speech bubbles. They were having alternating speech pattern, but Ed wasn't always the one to start.
Spoiler:

This is based on the difference in their speech styles (Ed's is rougher than Al's). Their first person pronouns (ore and boku) also help at telling who said what.
I'm 100% positive it was Al who won. I don't think Ed has ever won a fight against Al before or after the Human transmutation.
Old 2004-06-26, 20:15   Link #14
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Nope. I'm afraid you mixed up the speech bubbles. They were having alternating speech pattern, but Ed wasn't always the one to start.
Spoiler:

This is based on the difference in their speech styles (Ed's is rougher than Al's). Their first person pronouns (ore and boku) also help at telling who said what.
I'm 100% positive it was Al who won. I don't think Ed has ever won a fight against Al before or after the Human transmutation.
Ahh great thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I still have lots to learn (Japanese).

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-06-26 at 20:27.
Closed Thread