AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-28, 21:32   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Donating an old computer

I am not advertising but I am asking if there is a place where I can to donate or even sell the computer I have. It is not really old (I'd say early 2000) but ast the same time it is not something brand spankin' new either, I know I am better off buying a neew computer but I want to know any places where I can at least donate it or sell it? I know about EBay.
Old 2009-06-28, 21:39   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
There are non-profits you will be able to donate it like your local school or a church. Search online for local donation centers you will be able to donate your old computer...

Another note is that you should completely reformat your HD and zero your data off your HD so no one will be able to try and retrieve your old files. After doing that, you should reinstall the OS the computer came with or install Linux which is free and can be downloaded from the internet.
Old 2009-06-28, 21:41   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

If you live in the United States, look for a local FreeGeek branch.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 21:43   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If you donate your system to a charity-type organization you should also be eligable for a tax refund. Ask the organization you donate to about it - usually they have some form where you specify what you donated and how much it's worth, and then the organization signs off on it.

Not that you should donate just for that reason, but it's nice to get something back for doing so (and if you don't pay taxes yet, it's something you might be able to pass along to your parents).
Old 2009-07-31, 21:14   Link #5
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I am trying to fix an old PC to sell on EBay or Donate it to some charity but I want to transfer my current computer settings to other one so that I won't have to go to the process of setting every thing up again. I used the Files and Settings Tranfer Wizard to transfer some of my settings to the othew PC but the FAST Wizard on the other PC doesn't see the files that I placed on my disks and Removable Disk. am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to transfer old files to the new PC?
Old 2009-08-01, 07:43   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might want to read these:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...g%20a%20PC.pdf
http://www.microsoft.com/education/d...computers.mspx

They provide a mixture of practical tips and some information on the legal issues involved with donating computers running Windows. Computers running open operating systems like Linux or one of the BSD's can be donated without any complications. Donating a computer with Windows installed requires that you transfer the license and accompanying documentation as well. Macs probably have similar limitations since in both cases your transferring your license to the software along with the hardware.