AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-11, 11:44   Link #1
caracantabile

Recent unlicensed anime similar to...

Please suggest some recent (within the last 4 years) unlicensed anime with the following in mind:

My hub's list of top faves:

1 - Berserk
2 - Black Lagoon
3 - Samurai Champloo
4 - Death Note
5 - Bleach
6 - Monster
7 - Cowboy Bebop

I think he's more into the "seinen" genre of anime, especially likes dark stories with abundant plot and twisted characters (e.g., he loved Johan in Monster and Yagami Light in Death Note) Not into mecha, but definitely into some combat action. Does not like anime with "super energetic immature kid" protagonists (like original Naruto).

He's also seen Code Geass, and is currently watching 07 Ghost and Pandora Hearts with me (I prefer lighter fare usually, with a cold-hearted bishounen or two thrown in haha)

Any ideas? There's so much stuff out there, it's hard to see if he'd like something or not.

Thank you

Edit: PS. - The reason I ask for unlicensed titles is that we don't have a place to rent anime except for Netflix which has a mediocre selection, and we only buy series on DVD which we already know we like --- don't want to spend $30-50 on a DVD or boxed set only to discover that it's not what we like :|

Last edited by caracantabile; 2009-07-11 at 11:47. Reason: adding more info
Old 2009-07-11, 12:15   Link #2
qwertyuiopz

dark:
ayakashi
higurashi no naku koro ni
school days

psychological:
ghost hound
ghost hunt

action:
to aru majutsu no index
tales of abyss

sports:
overdrive

will add more later!
Old 2009-07-12, 00:10   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Rather than make a list, I'd ask that you browse your mouse cursor over my signature and see where the icons link. I share Monster and Ghost Hound with you folks and enjoyed Samurai Champloo as well. Here's a brief rundown on the shows in my sig from left to right. i've given you Netflix links for licensed shows where available or links to their pages on the main AnimeSuki site. I've used bold to highlight a few shows with exceptional bishies.

Mononoke Hime - my favorite movie by Miyazaki Hayao; you might also try movies by Kon Satoshi like Millenium Actress.

Planetes - a slice-of-life show about space trash collectors; often considered the best science-fiction anime about space

Seirei no Moribito - a drama set in a fantasy Asian empire; a female bodyguard accepts the task of protecting a young prince from assassination (not yet complete on R1 DVD; airing currently on [adult swim])

Hataraki Man - a slice-of-life about a 28-year-old woman working as an editor in a Japanese magazine

Bakeneko/Mononoke - the adventures of a traveling medicine seller who also slays demons; Mononoke is the sequel to third arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales; one of the best bishies in all of recent anime and remarkably voiced by Sakurai Takahiro; looks like nothing else you've seen

Oh! Edo Rocket - licensed by Funimation but not yet released; a satirical look at Japan set in the 1840's; a mysterious young woman asks a fireworks-maker to construct a rocket that can take her to the moon; science-fiction, alternate history, slapstick, romance, politics, and a great score; this is definitely a minority taste, but it might be yours

Welcome to the NHK! - a dark psychological comedy about a young man who has cloistered himself away from society and a young woman who offers to rescue him

Baccano! - 1930's American gangsters, alchemists, and immortals; your husband will definitely like this one; you can preview two episodes for free on Funimation's website

Nodame Cantabile - a comedy-drama about two college-aged classical musicians; the man is another great bishie who wants to become a conductor; the woman is a flake with a prodigious, but undeveloped, talent as a pianist; if you hate classical music, this isn't the show for you, but you both might end up watching this one together; still unlicensed

Monster

Twelve Kingdoms - a young woman is transported to a mythical, pseudo-Chinese world where she discovers her true identity; probably only Mononoke Hime and Monster stand above this show in my personal pantheon; politics and action, but not much romance, though that bishie in my current avatar comes from this show

Saiunkoku Monogatari - bishies galore surrounding a feisty young princess who aspires to become the first female imperial official in yet another pseudo-Chinese empire; some swordplay, but more politics and romance

Noein - a science-fiction drama about parallel universes in conflict threatening to destroy our own; some of the best animated fighting sequences I've ever seen combined with an intriguing story based on conundrums in quantum physics

Dennou Coil - a beautifully-animated science-fiction story about children living in a city where a virtual world overlays the physical one; some episodes are hilariously funny, some hauntingly sad; a show for children that everyone can enjoy; again still remarkably unlicensed

Kure-nai - a high-school boy with an unusual, and dangerous, after-school job becomes the temporary guardian of a eight-year-old heiress; remarkably well acted with lovable characters, and a good dose of action and fighting as well; definitely "seinen" and unlicensed

Bartender - intermixes the history of liquor with emotional stories about regret, remorse, and renewal; lovely jazz score; unlicensed

Here's a bunch of other recent, unlicensed shows that you might want to take a look at. I'm going to skip descriptions; you can find them by following the links on the AS series pages. Once again bold means bishies, though that doesn't mean your husband might not enjoy them as well. For instance, Kurozuka and Genji have eye-candy for all tastes.

Eden of the East
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Hakaba Kitaro
Kurozuka
Moyashimon
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Shion no Ou
Toshokan Sensou
Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo

One other licensed show I'll mention is Claymore which should fit your husband's tastes and might appeal to you as well. Funimation doesn't offer full episodes of this show for preview, but it does have a variety of clips.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-07-12 at 18:03.
Old 2009-07-12, 00:23   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Most of Funimation's licensed properties can be watched on their website via streaming. Some series only have dubs posted, but others have subs.

I will definitely recommend watching Gunslinger Girl. The first season is marked by beautiful animation, while the second season features a different animation studio and a marked drop in quality, but it's still worth watching. Both seasons detail a (terribly depressing) but refreshing take on the use of cyborgs, child soldiers and the struggle of the Italian government fighting terrorism (or is it?)

As for unlicensed stuff, you should follow Canaan: 428 the Animation, which is shaping up to be just as stylish and action-packed as Black Lagoon. Also Umineko no Naku Koro ni for some supernatural murder mystery goodness from the same people who brought us Higurashi.