AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-03, 19:28   Link #1
muji
無印良品

Video Game -> Anime Adaptations/Crossovers: Any Good Ones?

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the video game section or the anime section, but I thought since I'm looking for anime recommendations it's better off here.

In any case, what are some good video game to anime adaptations? Things that started off as video games then became anime. Not so much the visual novel/eroge-type stuff, but more like the true video game adaptations like Street Fighter and Tekken. For the most part, I find a lot of these types of crossovers to be not so good -- maybe it's that the characters and situations from video games just don't work so well in an anime OVA or episodic form? Like the stories and character backgrounds just aren't well-formed enough?

Well, if there ARE any really good video game -> anime works out there, I'd love to hear about them!

Some things I wish would happen:

Advance Wars (I think this would make for a pretty good one)

Metroid

Katamari Damacy (this could be really bizarre fun -- probably best suited to a short OVA-type thing)
Old 2009-07-03, 20:01   Link #2
Kudryavka

Well, finding a good 'video game-->anime' is hard. And finding a good 'video game-->anime' that doesn't target children is even harder.
I don't know what age group you're looking for, but some anime that I know I liked is Kirby.

I'm wondering where the MOTHER/Earthbound cartoon is. Now that would be something. MOTHER 3 would be like a visual novel adaptation.
Old 2009-07-03, 23:18   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

Gungrave, although there are quite a few changes from the source material, is pretty much the only good video game adaptation I can think of. The characters (both protagonists and antagonists) are very well developed, and it manages to be a very emotionally powerful story along with some stylish shootouts.
Old 2009-07-03, 23:43   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

World Destruction was a video game, wasn't it?
Old 2009-07-03, 23:52   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Super Robot OG OVA was pretty good imo though the story was new. But the OG series imo wasn't very good.
Old 2009-07-04, 00:16   Link #6
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i made a similar thread some times ago
Old 2009-07-04, 02:08   Link #7
Cipher

I only know:

Pokemon was a video game first..and its widely popular
(dot)hack-RPG(sword magic, stuff)
Devil May Cry(not sure)(action)
Megaman- RPG(i'm pretty sure i played the game before i watched the cartoon)
Eureka Seven-(mecha) (the video game and the anime have different storylines but i'm not sure what came first)
Monster Rancher/Monster Farm- adventure

could you specify what your looking for?

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-07-04 at 20:04.
Old 2009-07-04, 16:51   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Can't believe Sengoku Basara hasn't been added here :P
it's warrior-themed, something between basilisk and kyo.
Old 2009-07-06, 06:11   Link #9
oompa loompa

anything in the tales of series i guess.. apart from that the most well known one is probably FFVII : Advent Children.. which was pretty good if you've played the game first. Of course the reverse is true, I dont need to even start about how good FFVII is.

Well, as to your question, my theory is that a lot of characters in video games ( in a conventional sense, i.e. not VN) are that the characters have to be developed so that theyre strong, and the villains so that theyre badass, and can put up a good fight. the other characters have to feed off the main character or the villain and so on and so forth. There are plenty of games which go against this, and there are a lot of games with wonderful wonderful stories and characters - the final fantasy games, the NWN games, diablo etc. However, as the main character in the game, ive found your character isnt well suited to be in a story adaptation, cos in the end, your character is usually just badass and whips the shit out of anyone and everyone -> not a good 'story' character in my opinion. (and while i do think it would be possible to make good adaptations - it would just be extremely difficult)
Old 2009-07-06, 12:23   Link #10
Statonxyb
hrm

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyria Chronicles
Old 2009-07-06, 12:31   Link #11
qwertyuiopz

sengoku basara (!!)
and all tales of ..
Old 2009-07-06, 16:24   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

Not counting the visual novel adaptations, these are pretty good:

Chrno Crusade
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy VII
King of Fighters
Persona -trinity soul-
Ragnarok
Sengoku Basara
Sengoku Basara 2
Star Ocean EX
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Vesperia
Valkyria Chronicles
Old 2009-07-13, 07:37   Link #13
muji
無印良品

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
i made a similar thread some times ago
Ah, sorry, didn't see that one and searching for it was not returning easy to spot results. Thanks for the linky link and hey -- great minds think alike, no? We both thought Katamari Damacy would make for interesting anime fodder.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'll be checking some of these series out for sure... perhaps minus the pokemon/monster rancher stuff. While I've actually played my fair share of the games, I'm not too sure how much I could stomach of the anime stuff targeted at the 10 and under crowd.
Closed Thread