AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-22, 03:33   Link #1
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Azureus 2.1.0.2 Out - must have

It is much better - especially for those of us behind Firewalls. I am getting 250k down vs the old one where I was only getting 150k.

BTW, make sure you backup your settings before the upgrade otherwise you will lose your settings.

The major difference is the uPnP. uPnP (enabled by default)for those routers which are uPnP- no more need to open ports since uPnP takes care of it. Must have for n00bs.
Also set uPnP to hide to avoid those annoying msg every startup

BTW, I'm using a Linksys 802.11b and 802.11g routers and it works perfect.

Sin, you better update your ultimate guide :P
________
BUY PORTABLE VAPORIZERS

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:21.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 04:20   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
It is much better - especially for those of us behind Firewalls. I am getting 250k down vs the old one where I was only getting 150k.

BTW, make sure you backup your settings before the upgrade otherwise you will lose your settings.

The major difference is the uPnP. uPnP (enabled by default)for those routers which are uPnP- no more need to open ports since uPnP takes care of it. Must have for n00bs.
Also set uPnP to hide to avoid those annoying msg every startup

BTW, I'm using a Linksys 802.11b and 802.11g routers and it works perfect.

Sin, you better update your ultimate guide :P
I just woke up and updating the moment we speak
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 12:06   Link #3
soul_less

im a complete noob to this kind of thing.......
what is the differeents between azures and bit torrent 3.4.2
i do have a firewall and router and dl just a few thing buggs all other intertnet activities down..is that normal?

btw a off topick question
if i have complety dl something and i want to share it with other other becuase there are no seeders how do I do that? just re-dl it so im only uploading.

my dl is ussually at 1k to maybe 20k if im lucky, is that becuase im not seeding (the reason being i have only fully dl one ep)

thanks see yah
soul_less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 13:20   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_less
im a complete noob to this kind of thing.......
what is the differeents between azures and bit torrent 3.4.2
Both are BitTorrent clients. BT 3.4.2 is just far inferior to Azureus in functionality and comfort - both clients do work, although Azureus is better.

Quote:
i do have a firewall and router and dl just a few thing buggs all other intertnet activities down..is that normal?
Not at all. You got some more info on this? When does that happen? What connection do you have, what router/firewall etc ^_^

Quote:
btw a off topick question
if i have complety dl something and i want to share it with other other becuase there are no seeders how do I do that? just re-dl it so im only uploading.
Yup, just pretend you are downloading the file again and save over the existent and complete file. Now you are a seeder, congratulations

Quote:
my dl is ussually at 1k to maybe 20k if im lucky, is that becuase im not seeding (the reason being i have only fully dl one ep)
It doesn't matter if you are seeding one file while downloading another file, there is no "global checker" but a torrent specific one. The more you upload on one torrent, the faster you can download from that torrent. That's the theory because you need to know your ideal upload cap because too much upload is as worse as no upload at all. If you know your connection speed in KB/s (Kilobyte per second, if it is in Kilobit per second (Kbps) divide through 8 first to get tKB/s) substract 3-4 KB/s. That's your ideal upload.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-06-24, 14:02   Link #5
soul_less

ty for all you helpful info, here some more to help you help me =)
i have cable internet

at http://www.pcpitstop.com/
it said my upload speed was 254 Kb/s
I test it many times and it ranged from 244-258 kb/s
is that good...?

at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
bandwidth: 2.7 megabits per second
Communications 2.7 megabits per second
Storage 331.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.1 seconds

once again is that good? is there another site you would like me to test mt stats at?

btw this comp share net with another one.

"i do have a firewall and router and dl just a few thing buggs all other intertnet activities down..is that normal?" i ment to say boggs instead of buggs....it is most noticable when i play a game my ping jumps up 100 to 250 more then ussuall.

The firewall is sygate freeware version. The router is a linksys wired router with four port switch with built in NAT wall.
Old 2004-06-24, 14:14   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
ty for all you helpful info, here some more to help you help me =)
i have cable internet
Sure thing

Quote:
at http://www.pcpitstop.com/
it said my upload speed was 254 Kb/s
I test it many times and it ranged from 244-258 kb/s
is that good...?

at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
bandwidth: 2.7 megabits per second
Communications 2.7 megabits per second
Storage 331.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.1 seconds

once again is that good? is there another site you would like me to test mt stats at?

btw this comp share net with another one.
Your upload is 256Kb/s and it's decent (well twice as much as I have) although not that much considering your download speed :WOW: To make it short: Your ideal upload speed is about 28-29 KB/s. Make sure you are using a client with which you can cap your upload like Azureus... *cough* see sig *cough*

Quote:
"i do have a firewall and router and dl just a few thing buggs all other intertnet activities down..is that normal?" i ment to say boggs instead of buggs....it is most noticable when i play a game my ping jumps up 100 to 250 more then ussuall.
Ah, that's nothing unusual since you are using parts of your bandwith with downloads/uploads. The more bandwith you use, the worse it will get.

Quote:
The firewall is sygate freeware version. The router is a linksys wired router with four port switch with built in NAT wall.
I don't know that firewall in particular but most firewalls ask you if you want to allow that your BT client opens ports. You should (have) allow(ed) it.

Since you are using a LinkSys router (or a router for that matter) you'll have to forward incoming data from your router to your computer. Instead of telling you how to do it manually, I will just point you to my Azureus guide since Azureus can map your ports on its own thorugh the new UPnP support. The link is in my sig and don't worry if you don't know what UPnP or whatever means, it is explained in the guide anyway, so have a good read ^_^

Old 2004-06-24, 19:58   Link #7
soul_less

Okay, I've downlaoaded, installed, and configured azureus. When I donwload a torrent, where should I save it to? In the set up, there was the temp, incoming, and torrent folder. Which of these folders do I download to? I have different names obviously, but use the default ones from the guide and I'll know what you are talking about. Plus, does azureus know what to do as soon as I download, or do I have to specifically tell azureus.

Thanks a lot!
Old 2004-06-24, 20:17   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Okay, I've downlaoaded, installed, and configured azureus. When I donwload a torrent, where should I save it to? In the set up, there was the temp, incoming, and torrent folder. Which of these folders do I download to? I have different names obviously, but use the default ones from the guide and I'll know what you are talking about. Plus, does azureus know what to do as soon as I download, or do I have to specifically tell azureus.

Thanks a lot!
Azureus will queue the torrents in the order you downloaded them if you did limit the number of simultaneous downloads although you can reorder them if you want. Also, Azureus does start everything by itself.

Temp folder=Incomplete data goes here. If they get 100% completed, they get moved to the
Incoming folder
Torrents folder= The *.torrent files go here so that you can seed files comfortably by clicking the respective torrent files in that folder.

You got a green smiley now?

Old 2004-06-24, 21:09   Link #9
soul_less

Thumbs up

Thanks a bunch. Ya i figured it out. Azureus didn't start downloading by itself though. I put it in the torrent folder, and then opened it through azureus. After a little bit, the smiley went green and my download speeds go up and down in the 100's. Not as good as others saying, but still rocks! In one hour, I got 470 mb. I was only maxing at ~25 with bit torrent. (not sure what was going on there. Maybe the upnp thing.)

Thanks for the guide.
Azureus Rules!
_Sin_ is God!
Old 2004-06-24, 21:31   Link #10
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. Ya i figured it out. Azureus didn't start downloading by itself though. I put it in the torrent folder, and then opened it through azureus. After a little bit, the smiley went green and my download speeds go up and down in the 100's. Not as good as others saying, but still rocks! In one hour, I got 470 mb. I was only maxing at ~25 with bit torrent. (not sure what was going on there. Maybe the upnp thing.)

Thanks for the guide.
Azureus Rules!
_Sin_ is God!
Yes it goes up and down but I agree that it rocks. I actually hit 500K down 26K up for the first time last night. I have never hit this before. I was suprised that all my torrents finished when I woke up in the morning.
________
S90

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:22.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 07:21   Link #11
Rokl

Hi, I haven't ever used Azureus and I've only hear positive things about it, so i thought that it is time for me to download this program. Is it worth downloading for a person who have used BiTorrent many years? Is the downloading speed higher? Is it difficult to use? Does it take much memory and RAM (or what it is called -.-

Hope someone can answer me.
Rokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 13:14   Link #12
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokl
Hi, I haven't ever used Azureus and I've only hear positive things about it, so i thought that it is time for me to download this program. Is it worth downloading for a person who have used BiTorrent many years? Is the downloading speed higher? Is it difficult to use? Does it take much memory and RAM (or what it is called -.-

Hope someone can answer me.
All your answers can be found here (it's a guide written by some really cool guy, _Sin_ )

Or to make it short:

Yes/Yes because Azureus connects to peers more aggressively/Not with the guide/About 30-40MB RAM and 5-10% CPU

Old 2004-06-26, 22:51   Link #13
Doppelganger
Lazy Undergraduate

Send a message via ICQ to Doppelganger Send a message via AIM to Doppelganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
All your answers can be found here (it's a guide written by some really cool guy, _Sin_ )

Or to make it short:

Yes/Yes because Azureus connects to peers more aggressively/Not with the guide/About 30-40MB RAM and 5-10% CPU
Your answer is truthful, but your "because...." is somewhat misleading. The Java VM itself has significant overhead.

With JRE 1.5.0 setting a breakpoint in the oh-so-complex "Hello World!" program nets me a java VM instance that runs about 7 megabytes. Nowadays memory is cheap and vast, so this usually isn't an issue. But be aware that 7mb is burned essentially for nothing, and the rest can come from the UI/features/imports/etc.

That's not to say that the python based (like bittornado) clients are that hot on this either, something like ABC (which relies on Tornado) can use quite a bit of memory and often much, much more CPU since python is entirely uncompiled whereas Azureus is java byte-compiled.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 07:43   Link #14
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
Your answer is truthful, but your "because...." is somewhat misleading. The Java VM itself has significant overhead.

With JRE 1.5.0 setting a breakpoint in the oh-so-complex "Hello World!" program nets me a java VM instance that runs about 7 megabytes. Nowadays memory is cheap and vast, so this usually isn't an issue. But be aware that 7mb is burned essentially for nothing, and the rest can come from the UI/features/imports/etc.

That's not to say that the python based (like bittornado) clients are that hot on this either, something like ABC (which relies on Tornado) can use quite a bit of memory and often much, much more CPU since python is entirely uncompiled whereas Azureus is java byte-compiled.
I was just stating that I prefer Azureus over other clients because it connects to peers more aggressively. I fail to see why you a telling me that Java has a significant overhead. Maybe you thought I was saying that Azureus uses XXMB RAM because it connects more aggressively or I'm plain slow at the moment (I just woke up).

Old 2004-06-27, 09:50   Link #15
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think Python has about as much overhead as Java. c++ compiled is definitely the smallest one
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 19:34   Link #16
WaterElf

download is good

upload is not
WaterElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 19:52   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterElf
download is good

upload is not
Could you elaborate a little on this? If you have questions, that is. If you just wanted to say something random, then it's okay

Old 2004-07-01, 03:13   Link #18
P-Virus
ナイトメア

I do not recomend azureus crashes all the time ... and is not only me everyone I know have the same problem (a lot of people here in the site and everyone I know personaly) I even followed the guide for the configuration(sorry _sin_)but is not working I'm back with my old clientalways good speeds...

Last edited by P-Virus; 2004-07-10 at 14:05.
P-Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 07:39   Link #19
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Virus
I do not recomend azureus crashes all the time ... and is not only me everyone I know have the same problem (a lot of people here in the site and everyone I know personaly) I even followed the guide for the configuration(sorry _sin_)but is not working I'm back with my old clientalways good speeds...
I really doubt that Azureus is the troublemaker. Mind sharing your computer specs, Azureus settings, internet connection, programs running in the back ground etc? And when does Azureus crash? After 5 min? After XXX connections?