AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 20:26   Link #2721
Dumke

ecchi-ness ftw?
Dumke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 00:09   Link #2722
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

I wouldn't mind seeing a chapter with some Zastin in it. I know the whole being bit by the dog gag is played out, but damn if it doesn't make me chuckle every time.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 00:49   Link #2723
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
To-love-Ru is hardly in trouble. It is a soild money maker selling ~200k of books per volume. Few of the other series in the lower half of the book manage to break 100k per volume.
My good sir have you ever heard the term sex sells.
And those are "modest" units at best since they only amount to first week sales compared to chart holders like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, D.Grayman, and Hunter X Hunter which stay on the charts and increase it's overall estimated for two or three weeks at a time despite dropping for new releases. You may think it's insufficient but reader turn-out and polls is what keep most series from being cancelled regardless of sales, but then again To Love Ru has never tried to appeal to the demographic in Shonen Jump which might explain it...
FruitsPunchSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 06:04   Link #2724
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitsPunchSamurai View Post
My good sir have you ever heard the term sex sells.
And those are "modest" units at best since they only amount to first week sales compared to chart holders like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, D.Grayman, and Hunter X Hunter which stay on the charts and increase it's overall estimated for two or three weeks at a time despite dropping for new releases. You may think it's insufficient but reader turn-out and polls is what keep most series from being cancelled regardless of sales, but then again To Love Ru has never tried to appeal to the demographic in Shonen Jump which might explain it...
First those are the 2 week sales and currently it is still rated as the 13# best selling Tankobon title for the week (it was 7th the week before) (with out adding in the limited edition). Second SJ has green lighted 3 more ova's to be released with the next few volumes you don't invest in something like that if the series is floundering. Do you truely think that they will cancel a series that is makeing them more money then at least 7 other titles(thats nearly half the published series in SJ)? The polls are used to gage how well liked the series is and how well it will sell. When the polls don't reflect the sales the sure bet is to follow the money.

Also I would like to point out we never get the resualts of those polls. All we know is that it may have an effect on the placement on the ToC.
per Eiichiro Oda:
Quote:
Jump does not order the manga based on popularity from the week before. It's true that popular series are in front, but the actual order is decided from week to week by the editor-in-chief.

Basically, it may show the postcards do affect ranks, but it's mostly up to the editor himself.
http://comipress.com/news/2007/09/05/2600

More food for thought If it realy was floudering and as you say it has never "tried to appeal to the demographic in Shonen Jump " don't you think that ther would have been major changes after all this time given just how much control the editors have in jump?
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
click to play

Last edited by kagato3; 2009-07-13 at 06:42.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 09:18   Link #2725
aulzon

Not to mention the series is constantly (with the exception of some colour and cover pages) in the bottom 5 (usually right at the bottom) for how long yet still isn't canceled.

Basically, if you are less popular than ToLoveRu you know you are going to be cancelled. But ToLoveRu itself is never gauged on its popularity in SJW. There is a good Bakuman chapter on why that is.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 11:39   Link #2726
Jourdal

can someone direct me to that Bakumon chapter? i really want to read it
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 12:39   Link #2727
aulzon

Chapter 24.

They really talk about a lot of things about Shounen Jump and manga writing in general. Should read the whole manga (or maybe you did).
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 12:50   Link #2728
Jourdal

I plan to read the whole manga but i was curious about that particular chapter
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 13:27   Link #2729
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Quote:
First those are the 2 week sales and currently it is still rated as the 13# best selling Tankobon title for the week (it was 7th the week before) (with out adding in the limited edition). Second SJ has green lighted 3 more ova's to be released with the next few volumes you don't invest in something like that if the series is floundering. Do you truely think that they will cancel a series that is makeing them more money then at least 7 other titles(thats nearly half the published series in SJ)? The polls are used to gage how well liked the series is and how well it will sell. When the polls don't reflect the sales the sure bet is to follow the money.
Compared to last year were it peaked at 3rd and dropped out the week before and all the following releases has followed suit , the significant doesn't predict future revenues as it's not constant like most shounen as whole and did you not read what I posted "sex sells", the sales are just to market off the "uncensored" artwork given in the tankabon releases and the OVAs is just another outlet into the uncensored fanservice department (doesn't help that it comes bundle with the tankabon release as well)
Quote:
Also I would like to point out we never get the resualts of those polls. All we know is that it may have an effect on the placement on the ToC.
per Eiichiro Oda:
Ummm....http://members15.tsukaeru.net/hamada.../jump0927.html
Quote:
More food for thought If it realy was floudering and as you say it has never "tried to appeal to the demographic in Shonen Jump " don't you think that ther would have been major changes after all this time given just how much control the editors have in jump?
That's because it never did, if the abundance of direct to video output to otaku than children, if you count to sudden appearance of characters from his previous works a sign of it's declining originality or so you have it
Old 2009-07-13, 14:39   Link #2730
kagato3

Quote:
Thats not the poll resualts thats the table of contents (ToC). While the polls effect it so do other things like if the artist is late on there deadline or the editors placeing the series their to blance out the book for instance Jaguar is always last. Also the Going by your logic To-Love-Ru should have been cut instead of Hoops as it had been lower on that chart pretty much it's entire run as was for ぼっけさん(Paperweight artist) and Meister.in fact that chart disproves your point
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
click to play
Old 2009-07-14, 05:38   Link #2731
Dumke

What are you guys fighting about?
Dumke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:34   Link #2732
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Guys, I don't think demographics really count as reliable when it comes to ecchi anything. kagato3 has already pointed that one out.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 26. Completed: 219. Plan to watch: 32.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 15:49   Link #2733
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
What are you guys fighting about?
nope! we didn't fighting, we just talk about our ecchi manga
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 16:30   Link #2734
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Quote:
Thats not the poll resualts thats the table of contents (ToC). While the polls effect it so do other things like if the artist is late on there deadline or the editors placeing the series their to blance out the book for instance Jaguar is always last. Also the Going by your logic To-Love-Ru should have been cut instead of Hoops as it had been lower on that chart pretty much it's entire run as was for ぼっけさん(Paperweight artist) and Meister.in fact that chart disproves your point
Look again it's the poll.
If it's a Toc that explains why series that have been out of circulation for months is on there?
Why are you comparing a paperweight artist to a mainstream artist?
And how does the chart disproves my point when in the past many manga has gotten anime treatment despite having low numbers on the polls, hell Buso Renkin entire run disproves your point.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:47   Link #2735
kagato3

Quote:
Look again it's the poll.
If it's a Toc that explains why series that have been out of circulation for months is on there?
lets start by running the link through a tranlation It's not great but it gives an idea whats going on. Now if you take the link at the top for the charts legend you will find that
Well first there is the fact if you run the legend link at the top of it you will see it is a chart
Quote:
Order
最近10週の掲載順平均で並べた順番です. 10 are arranged in a recent rating by order published in the week. 週刊少年ジャンプ誌では掲載順が作品の人気を反映していると考えられています. Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is thought to reflect the popularity of the work on the order
it is compareing the location on the ToC (table of content) of each of the series running in Shonen Jump for the last 10 weeks because The order of the series in Shonen jump is "thought to reflect the popularity of the work". It has never been confirmed that this is true although there is some evedance that there is some truth to it haveing some influnce on it but there is other evedance that it does not such as Eiichiro Oda's (author of One Piece) statement that it does not have a direct influnce and the fact that there is at least 1 series that is always placed at the end of the manga, Jaguar and has done so (barring the odd a color page and cover) since 2001

As for why seires that were off the manga for over four mounths 1 it was for jump iusses 17 to 27 last weeks issue was 33. So it doesn't even show infomatiom thats newer then 1.5 months to start with then it shows 2.5 months worth of info so any series that was canceled less then 4 months ago is on that chart.
HUNTER×HUNTER and D. Gray-man are not canceled just on hiatus so were listed on the chart. D. Gray-man still had chapters comeing out until issue 23/24 so it has a ranking in the chart where HUNTER×HUNTER does not because it did not have any chapters durring that time frame. Eyeshield ended in issue 29 and Hoops ended in issue 31 so they are listed as well.
Quote:
Why are you comparing a paperweight artist to a mainstream artist?
ぼっけさん(Paperweight artist) is the name of a manga that was put out in shonen jump from issue 3.2009 to to issue 22/23.2009. Durring this time To love ru only was ranked higher only twice. Once in issue 15.2009 when Tolove ru shot up to 11 and its final chapter. out of 8 of those chapter To-love-ru was second to last in the book above Jaguar 1 week it was the last chapter as Jaguar didn't run and for 5 weeks it was 3rd from the bottom and only once broke the bottom 5.
ぼっけさん(Paperweight artist) on the other hand stayed fairly constently at 13 for about 7 weeks before droping to 16/17th place in the ToC(still in above To-Love-Ru).
Quote:
And how does the chart disproves my point when in the past many manga has gotten anime treatment despite having low numbers on the polls, hell Buso Renkin entire run disproves your point.
1) your point had nothing to do with "many manga has gotten anime treatment despite having low numbers on the polls". You responded to my point by just throwing up The ToC from issues 17 -27. My point was A) we never get to see the direct resualts of the polls (again the ToC is not the poll resualts) B) The To Love Ru manga is a solid money maker for Shonen Jump and is infact makeing more money then the "polls" (as again we do not get to see the direct resualts of the polls only the soposed effect on the ToC which may not even exist acording to one of the authors on SJ) show and no bizness is going to cut a seires that is makeing 4 times what a newbie series will. C) To-Love-Ru's location in the bottom 5 is nothing new it's pretty much been there since 2006 (strangely around the time it started getting a bit ecchier and a bit after Yami was brought) durring that time there have been no huge change of direction or moveing away from things that would likely hamper it in those polls.

Um how does Buso Renkin entire run disprove my point? It pretty much got caned soon after it started to faulter and ended up in the bottom 5 unlike To-Love-Ru. Also given the number of breaks and short chapters near the end I'm willing to bet there may have been deadline issues.
click to play
Old 2009-07-15, 02:02   Link #2736
Freeter
i see baka people

Mikan in love? But...who's the lucky guy?

Spoiler for 157 summary and pics:

Spoiler for discussion:

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:11   Link #2737
Jze0
Hmmm...

Spoiler for ch 157:
Old 2009-07-15, 02:13   Link #2738
ReddyRedWolf

As I said it she's a bro-con.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:16   Link #2739
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Alot of people say bad things about this manga, and most of it is true. However one thing about this manga that I really like is the artwork. Its not super artsy like xxxholic or super detailed. But I really like the character design and the cliche manga postures.
This is something I very much agree with (despite the virtually null storyline). It's almost like reading Tenjou Tenge or Air Gear for the artwork and ignoring the appallingly bad story (even more so than ToLoveRu).... Though Air Gear's storyline is a little better...

And with reference to more shoujo-esque manga like xxxHolic (or at least titles drawn by women), the characters tend to be noodley and look anorexic and even if the men they draw look pretty (sometimes too pretty), they too are stick men compared to existing male models. (not including the new line of male models who are anorexic and probably queer).

On the other hand characters drawn by men tend to have healthier looking bodies and are better proportioned, which oddly contrasts what most female models look like... (in terms of the healthy looking weight)
And one thing that I appreciate about ToLoveRu's artwork is that most of the female characters don't have watermelons or missiles for breasts.

But whatever am I complaining about... I still follow this series despite the fact that the story isn't really going anywhere...
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:56   Link #2740
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
omg I love that look on Momo when she put her hands on Rito's shoulder. It's like she is going to bed you if you aren't careful.

Hell yeah seeing the doujins of Mikan available, I'm actually rooting for her.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, shounen, manga